ADVERTISEMENT

2020 HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL SEASON

TheMule

Feb 5, 2003
Lenox Castle, NC
FWIW, there is considerable discussion among college football people that make things happen ( think TV executives, major conferences, etc ) about moving the games scheduled for this fall to early 2021 and the spring months.

If this happens it only follows that high schools will follow suit.

EDITED TO NOTE: I think this discussion needs it own topic since there is a real possibility this may happen.

Last edited:
Come on guys we all know its not about the kids its about the money plain and simple and here is why there is a chance for football in the spring.
If you cut football in any way from most schools you will not have enough money to run the other sports period. I for one want fall football no doubt but if there is no option look for a lSpring season.

Last edited:
The models that I’ve seen being discussed were only for college and NFL games, with no fans in attendance. They might be able to make December through May games work for those leagues because of the tv revenue, but it’s not feasible for high school for many reasons.

BBQ is right about one thing.......Hell may freeze over before there is a vacicne. I've been saying that for several weeks now. There isn't one for SARS or MERS. Why would anyone think they will find one for this particular Coronavirus?

When I hear people saying that we need to stay in shutdown until a vaccine is available I get suspicious. They are either ignorant of the facts regarding vaccine development or they have an agenda.

Neither SARS nor MERS stayed around long enough to develop a vaccine. It wasn’t because they tried and couldn’t. One of the press conferences addressed that.

Reactions: BulldogJacket85
Corect Mule

OC, I'm not a Dr so really that means I don't know anything but why would vaccine development stop on SARS & MERS? I'm not sure I believe a vaccine wasn't developed because the virus wasn't around long enough. Is it impossible for a virus to show back up? I'm pretty sure I heard in the last day or two that MERS is still around. Regardless of whether we agree on the facts of SARS or MERS vaccines doesn't matter. I'll be the first to admit I'll rejoice if and when a vaccine for Covid-19 is developed. I'm just not betting the farm on it. I certainly don't want to wait around for one before I resume life.

Like the rest of you I want football. I want it this fall I get irritated when people take negative positions. I don't think we are out of the woods on Covid-19. I don't think we can flip a switch and instantly go back to life like it was 6 weeks ago. In fact, and this is based on a model three weeks ago which could have been faulty, but our state was not predicted to hit our peak death toll until April 27th. That's almost a week away. We still need to be cautious.

This is a real issue but the data says the curve in being flattened nationwide. Warmer weather is coming and the most recent studies do in fact show that this virus does not last long in sunlight. We are gaining more information daily about how antibodies and herd immunity may yet be our best hope. With all this I feel we are trending in a positive direction. If anything, we should be more inclined to plan for a future of hope. I do think social distancing has slowed the spread and it stands to reason that continuing a short while longer will be even better but why with all the above good news would someone still insist that we remain in shutdown until there is a vaccine especially when a vaccine may never come?

At some point soon someone has to make a decision. Our way of life is in jeopardy. The more data we have the more educated the decision will be. I hope any continuation of this current shutdown is for the purpose of collecting data and not because there is an expectation that we should live this way indefinitely.

BTW OC, I'm not saying you are negative or one that is insisting on a vaccine before resumption of life.

You have your opinions and they are respected.

So far 85% of all the COVID-19 deaths in North Carolina are us 65+ years old types.

We are just going to have to live with the fact that we are in the highest risk group and live our lives accordingly.

Reactions: Ooooner
BTW OC, I'm not saying you are negative or one that is insisting on a vaccine before resumption of life.

You have your opinions and they are respected.
I don’t believe that we can’t resume some semblance of a normal life before a vaccine is developed and never meant to imply that. But I also believe that we are several weeks away from the level of testing necessary to start talking about barber shops opening or large gatherings. The creation of a vaccine is probably one of the last steps in this continuum. And it’s probably 12-18 months away.
I’m certainly not a doctor either. But I do listen to medical professionals and scientists first.
The information that I heard, actually at one of Trump’s press conferences, was that the threat of SARS and MERS didn’t last long enough for the development of a vaccine.
I want normal life to return. And for people to be able to return to work. My small business income has taken a huge hit. Not a lot of folks buying furniture. And I want sports to return. I’m just not willing to sacrifice my friends and family to do so.
This is not a one way or the other situation. It’s not Democrats or Republicans. It’s not CNN or FoxNews. It’s science and medicine and good judgment that will bring us through this. And yes, a good amount of prayer.
As the saying goes, been there and done that. And the prayers of a lot of folks, some of them posters on here, helped me back from the brink of death to the flu. But the doctors and nurses had a tremendous amount to do with it too.
Just drives me nuts that we boil this down to our partisan politics and take sides accordingly. As always, the truth is in the middle.

ocdavis31, I'd like your post twice if I could.
Well, thank you. I’m passionate about this, just as I am about people getting a flu shot. I suspect one visit to an ICU room in a space suit to see someone you love hooked up to all those machines and silently fighting for their life would change the most skeptical among us. It becomes very real when it’s somebody you care about.
I wouldn’t wish it on anybody, but if the wife or mother of the President or any governor or mayor gets put into that situation, I guarantee you they’ll take a different approach. And their doctor and their preacher will be their two best friends.

Reactions: TheMule
The Asheville paper interviewed the athletic directors from Pisgah and Swain.Both said they have to have the football revenue to help with the other sports expenses.They mentioned that if we didn't play in the fall then would go to the spring.

Reactions: dogs79
Not a shock.

Good phase in plan presented by governor yesterday? Progression to and through each phase based on virus trends. Let's hope this thing trends the way we need/want it to. If so, we have a chance to see football this fall.

I think next Q if we play is what does this do to participation numbers?

Ohio is already talking about moving spring sports to fall and fall to spring bc spring sports generally have less spectators and is easier to practice social distancing. I would assume the same could work in ncaa sports. The issue would be the aftermath, it would be a year and a half before spring sports would start again and while spring football then fall football would be great. I worry about the break durning the summer not being enough for the kids and they get burnt out.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
Not a shock.

Good phase in plan presented by governor yesterday? Progression to and through each phase based on virus trends. Let's hope this thing trends the way we need/want it to. If so, we have a chance to see football this fall.

I think next Q if we play is what does this do to participation numbers?
Glad that at least there’s a plan. Nice to watch a press conference that is well thought out, logical and takes all issues into consideration. And is consistent. No theatrics, just facts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT