ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Charlotte Kickoff Weekend

I like all but 1 match up, I think Weddington should handle AK but u never know. Dutch Fork vs Vance is going be great because if MC can give them the business then VANCE could too. Mallard Creek vs Myers Park is the best match up because MC has new leadership and MP is said to be one of the favorites in 4A to win a state title this year but will see how that one shapes out

Games being played by mid to late August is being very optimistic. I lean more toward getting started by conference time .

The earlier the better chances of getting a season. This will be with us for a while so not sure if waiting helps. I say drop one game start mid aug and have this puppy wrapped by THX Giving and reduce all classifications to 32 teams for playoffs and no byes.

One coach say we have a reg off season but the season doesn't start until Sept or Oct and Modified schedule n post season

I'll be at all 3, love that MC/MP will be on that Wednesday and all 3 aren't squeezed into 1 day

Reactions: btango
Reactions: UNC91
One coach say we have a reg off season but the season doesn't start until Sept or Oct and Modified schedule n post season

There was a time when an athlete played basketball and baseball theN baseball all summer with zero football specific training. Football practice was four weeks with one scrimmage then the first game.

Do 17 year old athletes need two months to prepare to play high school football?

There was a time when an athlete played basketball and baseball theN baseball all summer with zero football specific training. Football practice was four weeks with one scrimmage then the first game.

Do 17 year old athletes need two months to prepare to play high school football?

btango, what are your thoughts on this. Do you think it’s better to have spring training, summer camps, 7 on 7. Or go back the way it use to be with a standard 4 week practice then enter scrimmage and the regular games. I could see players possibly getting burned out all the training along with entering the football season to with it.

Vik-Val not Btango, but would like to answer. Sports specialization has killed highschool sports. To me its the AAU/Travel ball concept where players just focus on one sport. Players used to specialize at 12-13 if they weren't good enough to play multiple sports. Or late high school. Now kids as early as 5-6 are just focusing on one sport and it completely burns them out when they get older, and they crash out at the highschool level. Then they dont have any skills to really compete at the HS level. It flows over into all of these 7v7v, spring training, summer camps. They have to have something to do, and the organizers see a money grab and put this junk on. But in reality how much better are they getting from these activities, vs. the time away from family, friends, and character development?

The main culprit is AAU/Travel basketball IMHO. They absorb so much time with tournaments and give out so much false hope to poor to marginal players. You get cut, then daddy starts his on program. Not enough playing time leave that AAU team, coach too strict? Find a coach who has low standards. All the while these kids are focusing on one sport. Afro Americans have in mass given up baseball, but in the past it was a sport parents MADE you play growing up. It helped develop other muscles/hand eye.

You want to see something sad? Look at the former marginal AAU player that spent his entire life going to tournaments, traveling, missing family events, paying fees only to get to HS to realize they were trash. The same thing has crept into HS football. You only need about 4 weeks to really get ready. Hell sometimes cats missed the entire summer and showed up August 1, and did just fine competing with guys that had been there all summer back in the day.

Weddington might running clock AK if they aren't rusty. First games are always a bit of unknowns, but I just don't see AK hanging with Weddington or stopping Shipley.
Other two games will be worth the price of admission though
I expect rust. Last year was a 28-14 game, full of penalties and mistakes

These games will never happen. I understand wanting to be optimistic, but you can write these off.

Best case scenario...

1918-pandemic-football-game-andy-mcneil.png

Reactions: RaiderTitanium
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT