ADVERTISEMENT

2020 1A Football

bareman

Jun 23, 2001
one season has ended and another is 8 1/2 months away; whose got what coming back? Bears will compete but don’t see a serious run; 9 man senior class coming w/big junior class...next!

SMC will be more of the same. Murphy will be bringing back the most and are pre-season favorites in my book. Robbinsville will lose some pieces but should still be at the top and get Murphy at home so who knows. Swain may step back a small bit but can never be counted out. All eyes will be on Andrews who could have their best team in decades. I am looking for some big wins from them next year.

Last edited:
Think Robbinsville will be loaded again. Think they would actually be the favorites to win the conference again. Lose Anderson but have another stud coming up from jvs. Plus hooper will be back and our qb is returning as well. Think most of our line will be back too.

agreed, Robbinsville will be fine and get Murphy at Big Oak. Andrews has the chance to have their best squad in decades.

Smc will be as tough all around as it has been in years. Our boys and mhs will be very good, Andrews has a chance to be as good as us, Swain will be a little off but it's still Swain, and no one better count out hayesville either. That's 5 teams that should be pretty good. Been a long time since that was the case. Ill pick us though.

one season has ended and another is 8 1/2 months away; whose got what coming back? Bears will compete but don’t see a serious run; 9 man senior class coming w/big junior class...next!
East loses a whole lot but returns some studs. Way to early predictions the cards go into the MA week with one loss to Reidsville and I don’t know what I think about that MA game yet I need to see if all this youth will actually step up and carry the load that smith did this season.

Murphy brings back 8 starters on both sides of the ball, losing Murray at RB and Stalcup at DT will hurt though. I definitely expect the playbook to open up more next year with Rumfelt having a year under his belt at QB and all of Murphy's recievers returning.

Robbinsville brings back a lot but they are losing their best player on both sides of the ball in my opinion in Anderson and some of their fastest players like Lawson and McGuire. The fact that the Murphy game is at Big Oaks is big for them, if the teams are real close (and I think they will be) that could be the difference.

If Murphy's passing game improves as much as I think it will that could be the X factor though, pass defense has been a thorn in Robbinsville's side for a while now.

Last edited:
not sure what MA will do on “O”; should be better on D (struggled against the pass and overall late in season)

TJ returns the core of their team. The only thing they will be lacking in next year will be the line. But of course I said that before this year and the line this year played way above my expectations. Hopefully the same next year

Reactions: CherokeeKid
Looks like will be a down year for Mitchell. 18 seniors graduating. Will get back both RBs and will hurt losing McKinney but some good receivers returning but losing QB Pittman really hurts, up coming QB has talent but didn't get to play most of his freshman year this year due to broken leg. Losing that big line all but two lineman graduating, hopefully some of those freshman will have a growth spurt between now and then. Plus will really miss the kicker. So not sure will even make the playoffs next year, but maybe they'll surprise me they have before.

If the back up kicker can add 10 yards to kickoff depth, Mitchell will be fine in that area. He has 30-40 yard range on field goals. Won kicking competition at Western camp as a sophomore. Not worried about kicking at all. Now he will not be Kadens but Mitchell has never had a kicker like that.
Where I am concerned is on the line. First time in a long time Mitchell has questions on the line. There is a good group coming they are just young and little experience. I think next year could be a struggle with Mitchell returning to form the following year.

Go Mountaineers

I think so too. Think the defense will actually be maybe a little better next year for Robbinsville. I know Anderson is a special player but I think we will have just as much success running the ball next year as we have had this year.

If the back up kicker can add 10 yards to kickoff depth, Mitchell will be fine in that area. He has 30-40 yard range on field goals. Won kicking competition at Western camp as a sophomore. Not worried about kicking at all. Now he will not be Kadens but Mitchell has never had a kicker like that.
Where I am concerned is on the line. First time in a long time Mitchell has questions on the line. There is a good group coming they are just young and little experience. I think next year could be a struggle with Mitchell returning to form the following year.

Go Mountaineers

tommy Williams was good kicker

Winning at Big Oaks will be tough, Murphy was much better than Robbinsville in 2018 but Knights gave them a game on their field. I think Murphy will have a little more talent overall next season than Robbinsville but a slight talent advantage probably won't be enough to win on Robbinsville's field, 'Dogs will probably need to be the equivalent of two scores better on a neutral field to win there in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gentle Knight
Winning at Big Oaks will be tough, Murphy was much better than Robbinsville in 2018 but Knights gave them a game on their field. I think Murphy will have a little more talent overall next season but a slight talent advantage probably won't be enough to win on Robbinsville's field, 'Dogs would have to be at least two scores better on a neutral field to win there in my opinion.
But Gentry said there was nothing special about playing at the Big Oaks?lol

A lot of teams in the SMC are going to be tough next year. Robbinsville is definitely losing some great talent, but the tanks no where near empty, and we got some young talent that can fill a lot of gaps. A little preseason work and we could be just as strong next year....

Go Mountaineers
Mitchell will be fine next year. Return backs, lbs, and some receivers. Line will be a work in progress. Coaching staff returns. That’s a plus. Great conditioning and strength program. The motto” we don’t rebuild, we reload”, has been Mitchell’s theme for 5 yrs. don’t see it changing.

I believe I saw another Boaz—a freshman—go in at quarterback for East Surry late. Looks like he led the JV to 8 wins. And they should return Washington—with his offers from Auburn, UGA, UNC etc., as well as the younger Gosnell, who Wake and UNC just offered. Still plenty of talent in Pilot Mountain.

SMC will be brutal. Maybe not as top heavy, but more like late 90s, early 2000s with five or so teams that will all be tough outs.

Last edited:
Looks like will be a down year for Mitchell. 18 seniors graduating. Will get back both RBs and will hurt losing McKinney but some good receivers returning but losing QB Pittman really hurts, up coming QB has talent but didn't get to play most of his freshman year this year due to broken leg. Losing that big line all but two lineman graduating, hopefully some of those freshman will have a growth spurt between now and then. Plus will really miss the kicker. So not sure will even make the playoffs next year, but maybe they'll surprise me they have before.

We got a freshman lineman that just hit a growth spurt to 6’3 235 pounds and 2 more that will grow this summer. We’ll be a little shaky at the like for a few games but I think we’ll have a good season overall!

I dont see any SMC team being able to compete with Robbinsville and Murphy.

I see everyone in the SMC being much more competitive except maybe Cherokee and Rosman. They should both improve but probably won't make much noise unfortunately. The sky is the limit for the rest of the field. Sleep on them and teams might find some "upsets" in the L column...

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
I see everyone in the SMC being much more competitive except maybe Cherokee and Rosman. They should both improve but probably won't make much noise unfortunately. The sky is the limit for the rest of the field. Sleep on them and teams might find some "upsets" in the L column...
I doubt seriously if players or coaches from any of the top teams will "sleep on them"....however some cafe coaches might.

We got a freshman lineman that just hit a growth spurt to 6’3 235 pounds and 2 more that will grow this summer. We’ll be a little shaky at the like for a few games but I think we’ll have a good season overall!

Well that's good to know I was just going by the JV roster on Maxprep but I did notice serval freshman lineman and that is about the time a lot of boys can shoot up sometimes in a matter of months. Like I said maybe they'll surprise me it's hard to predict from one year to the next especially after graduating so many, there are many variables ,who stays out, who decides to play after they haven't for a while ( I played football with a guy who got burned out on football and didn't play high school until his Junior year and was all conference that year) who's healthy , who grows & improves etc.

Mitchell win be fine. They will get slung to the dogs out of the gate against what should be a much improved Erwin team. There will be some growing pains, but by November they should be clicking. Mountaineers will be very young next season. Avery should continue to improve under Coach Bryant. They return Half their line, a stable of RB's, and 3500 yard passer Troy Hoilman. Polk will be rebuilding, with 17 kids graduating, and bringing up kids from a 5-5 jv squad. Coach Ollis should have them in the hunt tho. Avery will likely win the 1a side of the WHC, beating both Mitchell and Polk, but the Mitchell/Avery game is always wild so who knows...

Reactions: Mhsneer
Mount Airy will be playing in their 100th season of football in 2020 and 99th consecutive season. Bears began play in 1915, and resumed in 1922 after not playing for 6 years. 77 winning seasons out of 99. Since 1922, 7.6 wins per year, 3.4 losses / yr, and .4 ties/yr.
Our 1915 record is incomplete and therefore not included in averages,

Mitchell will be decent next year, 17 seniors, after that a couple of down years for sure, you people gotta think only 1 sophomore played in every game this year, been a while since we didn't have at least 3-4 sophomores that started, the numbers are falling off bigtime in middle school, rbs will be key to any success next season, we will have no pass game at all

Mitchell win be fine. They will get slung to the dogs out of the gate against what should be a much improved Erwin team. There will be some growing pains, but by November they should be clicking. Mountaineers will be very young next season. Avery should continue to improve under Coach Bryant. They return Half their line, a stable of RB's, and 3500 yard passer Troy Hoilman. Polk will be rebuilding, with 17 kids graduating, and bringing up kids from a 5-5 jv squad. Coach Ollis should have them in the hunt tho. Avery will likely win the 1a side of the WHC, beating both Mitchell and Polk, but the Mitchell/Avery game is always wild so who knows...
Avery will have the best line in the conference 5 seniors, best reciever, solid run game if they use it, great qb, I see em at 9-2 already maybe better if 1 or 2 from cloudland or Wat jump the wagon

Mitchell will be decent next year, 17 seniors, after that a couple of down years for sure, you people gotta think only 1 sophomore played in every game this year, been a while since we didn't have at least 3-4 sophomores that started, the numbers are falling off bigtime in middle school, rbs will be key to any success next season, we will have no pass game at all

I believe Mitchell could be down next year but actually as long as boys stay out and are healthy should improve the next couple years. This year's freshman and eighth graders last year in middle school were undefeated. I asked a middle school coach about the middle school numbers being down and he said they really wasn't that bad that they like the jvs just had bad luck with injures this year and they had lots of boys coming out in grade school age but was just concerned about size didn't see a lot of big boys but that's are to predict at that age.

Reactions: Mhsneer
I think the one middle school football team doesn’t help Mitchell or Avery when it comes to numbers in high school. Sure they are more competitive at the middle school level but they were competitive enough and I don’t see them handing out middle school state championships. Honestly how many 13/14 yr olds are mature enough to say “ I don’t care if I play much as long as we win”? It’s hard enough for 17/18 year olds. Avery is already having trouble fielding a full season JV team and Mitchell won’t be far behind. You can’t blame kids that young for becoming disinterested when they become special team players in middle school.

Reactions: Purple1995
Basketball won’t be far behind. Both counties have already talked about combining the middle school programs. When they do say farewell to jv basketball. Only 5 on the court compared to 11 on the field and there’s no special teams in basketball. Maybe they’ll implement a 5th quarter so the underclassmen can see the floor for a quarter. Really doesn’t look good for any JV future in the 1a side of the WHC.

Reactions: Purple1995
I believe Mitchell could be down next year but actually as long as boys stay out and are healthy should improve the next couple years. This year's freshman and eighth graders last year in middle school were undefeated. I asked a middle school coach about the middle school numbers being down and he said they really wasn't that bad that they like the jvs just had bad luck with injures this year and they had lots of boys coming out in grade school age but was just concerned about size didn't see a lot of big boys but that's are to predict at that age.
Freshman class dosen't have the size the 10th grade class has, only gonna have 1 junior next year who played varsity as a sophomore, most of the skills in 10th grade quit or transfered, several good linemen quit as well I've seen em since the beginning, no competition last year in middle school, first year we combined year before last we had a good mix of linemen and skill players, people forget how they blew everybody out except Watauga, and they should have won it too, 4 turnovers in that game, I watched every game last year, Yancey was really down, line is good in the freshman class, a couple of skill players, sophomore class had faster bigger guys, unless they get some to come back out, gonna be tough, that's my take on it, just off the top of my head last year we lost 2 running backs, and I mean good backs, 1 to Heritage, the other quit cause they didn't play him, 2 receivers quit, 1 is 6 foot 7 now, probably the best lineman quit, along with 3 other pretty decent linemen, that's a big hit to take in 1 year, I'd put a senior at qb and develop these freshman skills a little more dress em and let em see a little 4th quarter play, but that's just me, I guess we'll see in about 7 months

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT