ADVERTISEMENT

2019 SMC JV Thread

SitOut

Sep 14, 2018
See if we can't get some action going on this board. School is finishing up and football is right around the corner.

Thoughts on the JV season next year? Does Murphy lose the top spot? They haven’t lost many JV games in the past several years? Does Robbinsville take over? Does Andrews make a push? This group for Andrews won a lot of youth football games and cracker bowls.

My preseason predictions…

Robbinsville – They were fun to watch last year. Seemed to get better every game and peaked at the end beating the preseason favorite in Swain handily. Would have loved to saw another game with them and Murphy. The first game was really a tale of 2 halves with a defensive TD for Murphy at the end of the first half being the difference. Which Murphy will say they let up and of course Rville says they didn’t get started on time. Big question for them is Williams, is he playing? Everyone I have asked or tried to get some info from is not saying a word.

Murphy – Always solid and bring back several players that got valuable time last year. I just don’t think they have the answer for Williams next year and I am assuming it will be in Robbinsville this year if JV schedules rotates like varsity. They have to replace the quarterback and he was the difference in the rville game. He made a couple big time plays and without that I think Robbinsville would have won that game.

Andrews – I was torn with this spot. Could they sneak up and steal the second step? I think so but just couldn’t do it at this time. This is not youth football and depth starts to matter once JV rolls around. Lineman need to be able to take some plays off or you fade in the 2nd half.

Swain – Last season was supposed to be their year but things just didn’t work out. They have a lot of freshman to replace this season.

Hayesville – Had some freshman moved up last year that could of made for a better JV season. Injuries also hurt in some situations. One good looking RB in Gillis but he will need some help to move up the ladder. If he even stays around.

Cherokee – Had good numbers last year and good looking bodies but just couldn’t get anything going in the couple games I watched.

Rosman – Things were rough last year for Rosman and don’t expect much better this year either.

Robbinsville had a meeting with the jv team. We had 49 show up. Thats unheard of at a school with 360 kids. Kade was the first one at the meeting. Robbinsville will have a great back field with Williams and Adams. Thunder and lightning!

Reactions: PBBear51
Robbinsville had a meeting with the jv team. We had 49 show up. Thats unheard of at a school with 360 kids. Kade was the first one at the meeting. Robbinsville will have a great back field with Williams and Adams. Thunder and lightning!

Wow sounds like I am not the only one looking for Rville to win. The community is expecting good things with that kind of numbers for JV.

I dont expect that many when the season starts but 35 to 40 would be great.

Hayesville had a tiny 8-9 grade team come out last season and a lot of injuries also, but the upcoming 8th grade class of football players are huge they have competed year after year, i look for them to make some noise, im not saying the top team but they will end up top 3

Hard to know for sure until we see who comes out this summer. At Murphy there's always a few that haven't played that come out on JV and make an impact it seems.

As it stands I think Murphy will be solid but not as good as last year. Dogs may also have 1 or 2 freshman skill kids on varsity this year too, that will hurt the JV team.
Who are the freshman skill players you think will be on varsity? The returning skill players are John Ledford, the Laney twins, and Tae Charles. None of them are ready for varsity ball ... Not even close.

Reactions: CatDad312
Hayesville had a tiny 8-9 grade team come out last season and a lot of injuries also, but the upcoming 8th grade class of football players are huge they have competed year after year, i look for them to make some noise, im not saying the top team but they will end up top 3

Awesome, that's good to hear.

Who are the freshman skill players you think will be on varsity? The returning skill players are John Ledford, the Laney twins, and Tae Charles. None of them are ready for varsity ball ... Not even close.
I was wondering about this as well. I am not seeing one ready either unless he knows of someone potentially moving in the area.

Will Johnson is the son of Shawn Johnson that played at NC State, his mom Penny was a great athlete at Murphy too. He might stay down on JV, who knows, but he's the one rising freshman at Murphy that could end up on varsity. He's been practicing with the varsity kids this spring, either way he's going to a stud in year or two, great athlete.

Yes, the other kid played at an SMC school last year. We'll see if he comes or not but his dad still said he was moving here this summer a couple weeks ago.
Johnson is going to be GREAT in the coming years, but I'm doubtful on this year. He'd be better served with JV reps and move up at end. As for the other kid, he stayed over with my son a few weeks ago and swore he was moving to Murphy. Looking for a house in Tar Heel. We'll see, but he'd definitely help with depth.

Reactions: SitOut and mbdfan
Yep, could be a good depth option this year on both sides of the ball. Could be a great 1-2 punch with your son in the backfield an at outside linebacker in the future. We'll see what happens.
Where did the kid play last year?

Gillis is not coming to murphy... talked to his daddy a few days ago... Johnson wasn’t practicing with varsity he was there with his dad one day.

He is only going to a freshman so saying he will lose in the first round every year and run behind a terrible line seems to be unfair when Hayesville has just gotten a new coach who seems to be moving things in the right direction.

Reactions: PantherPit07
The mind set in Hayesville is the problem. The coach will have to change that before much else changes.

Reactions: CherokeeKid
Guess everyone will just have to wait and see if they move. Its not easy as it sounds to up and move just to play on a better football team. Like MBD said most don't end up moving. Maybe the new coach has convinced them to give him year to get things moving in the right direction.

Reactions: mbdfan
Guess everyone will just have to wait and see if they move. Its not easy as it sounds to up and move just to play on a better football team. Like MBD said most don't end up moving. Maybe the new coach has convinced them to give him year to get things moving in the right direction.
You're right it isn't easy, if it were it would happen with much more frequency. This isn't college or pro football where players can leave and move on to another school/team on a whim. Families can't easily uproot their lives like that, there are career and financial considerations that would make it extremely difficult for most even if they wanted to.

With that said there was definitely smoke here and beyond that there is precedent for this considering his older brother transferred out of Hayesville to play football somewhere else. Even if the kid stays at Hayesville this year I'm willing to bet he doesn't finish his high school career there, whether that's at Murphy or somewhere else.

Here are my last thoughts on the subject. Yeah, I hope he comes to Murphy, why wouldn't I want him here? He's a very good player and he would be joining a loaded group of underclassmen at Murphy. He would have the opportunity to compete for state titles and play under a great coaching staff. But assuming he stays at Hayesville best of luck to the family, wish em nothing but the best.

Last edited:
Lets move on from this.
What's going on with Swain this upcoming season? I think they won the rec league championship. Are they expecting another wave of talent?

Gillis older brother left Hayesville bc his daddy pitched a fit bc Hayesville had a lack of talent and moved him to a team that was not any better in a very down year for Hayesville,and everybody said the older brother would goto Murphy also but he didnt, the younger Gillis is comitted to Hayesville, and is a good football player and even a better baseball player, in which is Middle school team is playing for the championship this week, not to mention his step brother is a very good lineman and baseball player as wellbut he goes under looked bc hes a lineman

Gillis older brother left Hayesville bc his daddy pitched a fit bc Hayesville had a lack of talent and moved him to a team that was not any better in a very down year for Hayesville,and everybody said the older brother would goto Murphy also but he didnt, the younger Gillis is comitted to Hayesville, and is a good football player and even a better baseball player, in which is Middle school team is playing for the championship this week, not to mention his step brother is a very good lineman and baseball player as wellbut he goes under looked bc hes a lineman
Alan Gillis went to Towns because he didn't want to go to Murphy. If he had wanted to go to Murphy his dad would have sent him to Murphy. Thats not my opinion, that's what his father said.

Murphy's loaded in baseball the next few years. Their varsity lineup this season was 5 freshman and 3 sophomores and the pitching staff was all underclassmen too minus one kid, so they were basically a JV team and still finished 2nd in conference with arguably their best player missing most of the season. Dogs should win the conference the next 3 years.

I've heard a very different account of some things you've mentioned multiple times as fact and unless you are a member of his family you don't have anymore insight on it than the other people that have talked to them or know them.

I know I said I was done on the subject once already but this is it. I've deleted my other posts in this thread because I'm not getting in a pissing match over something that is speculative and probably won't happen.

Last edited:
Rosman brings back the best pitcher in the conference and a stud catcher. As well Hayesville beat Murphy and Rosman late in the year and tied Murphy for 2nd so next year will be a toss up between the 3 especially if murphy cant keep there young pitchers healthy. Its obvious there young pitching staff has been drastically over used at a young age and arm issues don't bode well when the kids are only freshman and sophomores.

Hayesville loses their best pitcher from this year and a couple of their better bats. Rosman loses a lot, Murphy loses nothing, we'll see.

It's between Murphy and Hayesville next year imo, but I will go with Murphy because they were younger and they bring everyone back and minus Bradley their young guys on varsity are for the most part better. Injuries are a concern though obviously.

Rosman is capable of beating both because like you said they have a stud pitcher but the rest of their team won't be nearly as good as this year and they still lost to Murphy and Hayesville.

I dont think any of them are capable of a deep playoff run next year because the pitching isn't good enough/deep enough.

Last edited:
On a different note. If Murphy softball and Robbinsville both win today they will meet for the 4th time this yr. In Robbinsville ofcourse. Robbinsville is ranked 4th in 1a and i think Murphy us 6th. Lady dogs must beat N. Stanly and Rville must get by West Montgomery. Robbinsville beat Murphy at Murphy 6-0 in first meeting. The next day in Robbinsville Murphy took a 7-6 win. Then a few weeks later in Bryson City Robbinsville won over Murphy 11-00. If this game happens both Rville/ Murphy will have a hard time the remaining playoff games.

On a different note. If Murphy softball and Robbinsville both win today they will meet for the 4th time this yr. In Robbinsville ofcourse. Robbinsville is ranked 4th in 1a and i think Murphy us 6th. Lady dogs must beat N. Stanly and Rville must get by West Montgomery. Robbinsville beat Murphy at Murphy 6-0 in first meeting. The next day in Robbinsville Murphy took a 7-6 win. Then a few weeks later in Bryson City Robbinsville won over Murphy 11-00. If this game happens both Rville/ Murphy will have a hard time the remaining playoff games.

Robbinsville should win, seem to have the better team this year. Will be between them next year too but hopeful Murphy can finally overcome them since Robbinsville loses a couple of their best bats, mainly the older Knight girl, as well as their main pitcher. Dogs bring back 8/9 in the order and their main pitcher and should have Addison back from injury next year, she is one of their best players. Dogs bring up some good players off their 1 loss SMC champion middle school team too.

Last edited:
3 yrs in a row so far and counting. Should be really good for the next 4 or 5 yrs. Should have some good battles.
Im hearing the freshman pitcher we have could be better than Roper. I think we only lose 4 seniors. Knight, Roper, Morgan, and one other.

Robbinsville lady's got down 5 to 00 after 2 innings. After that it was all Robbinsville.
Robbinsville 7
West Montgomery 6.

I heard Murphy lost but dont know the score.

North Stanly at Robbinsville Friday for rd 4.

Alan Gillis went to Towns because he didn't want to go to Murphy. If he had wanted to go to Murphy his dad would have sent him to Murphy. Thats not my opinion, that's what his father said.

On a side note, at this time the NCHSAA that year require a physical move to the district or the student had to sit or 365 days. Don’t know if that played a factor or not. Also it was a mid season transfer.

Last edited:
Hayesville loses their best pitcher from this year and a couple of their better bats. Rosman loses a lot, Murphy loses nothing, we'll see.

It's between Murphy and Hayesville next year imo, but I will go with Murphy because they were younger and they bring everyone back and minus Bradley their young guys on varsity are for the most part better. Injuries are a concern though obviously.

Rosman is capable of beating both because like you said they have a stud pitcher but the rest of their team won't be nearly as good as this year and they still lost to Murphy and Hayesville.

I dont think any of them are capable of a deep playoff run next year because the pitching isn't good enough/deep enough.

I wont mention it anymore just telling you what i was told, but a Hayesville coach said if he does stay at Hayesville he will most likely be moved up to varsity and a Freshman along with Lundsford the big QB who tore his ACL early in JV last season, and yes im sure Murphy will be better at Baseball next season, but after that will be a toss up Hayesville has 11 8th graders off the championship team moving up

I wont mention it anymore just telling you what i was told, but a Hayesville coach said if he does stay at Hayesville he will most likely be moved up to varsity and a Freshman along with Lundsford the big QB who tore his ACL early in JV last season, and yes im sure Murphy will be better at Baseball next season, but after that will be a toss up Hayesville has 11 8th graders off the championship team moving up
Which coach you talking to?

Robbinsville lady's got down 5 to 00 after 2 innings. After that it was all Robbinsville.
Robbinsville 7
West Montgomery 6.

I heard Murphy lost but dont know the score.

North Stanly at Robbinsville Friday for rd 4.
Murphy lost 3-2, couple fielding errors did them in. Still should have went to extras because Murphy had a leadoff triple in the 5th inning but left her stranded. The North Stanly pitcher is really good from what I've heard.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT