ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Shrine Bowl Roster

Asheville C-T

Dec 6, 2017
How is Trey Robinson not on the NC Shrine Bowl roster? I understand he may not have the QB stats to make it as a QB but as a RB or Athlete, or DB/LB? its insane to have a kid of this caliber who leads WNC in career rushing, career TD and single season TD scored not on a roster with the state's best. This has to be a inadvertent oversight and not a purposeful omission on the part of the NC coaching staff. And this is a call to correct that oversight.

Trey Robinson has been a force for Mountain Heritage football now for 4 years. With him as their starting QB, Mountain Heritage has went 41-12 over the past 4 years, and excluding the freshman campaign of 6-6 they are 35-6. The following accomplishments are indicative not only of Trey but of all his team-mates and their countless hours of hard work and dedication to Mountain Heritage football. Those kids deserve the right to have their efforts represented by Trey in this game.

Trey Robinson: 2017

Attempts: 344

Yards: 3146 (1st in the State 4th in the Nation)

YPC; 9.1

YPG; 224.7

Rushing TD: 45 (9th All time in NC) 12th in the Nation

Points scored: 316 avg of 22.6 a game 1st in the State (5th in the Nation)

Career-wise:

Trey is the only player in NC history to rush for 8000 and pass for 4000

Broke Johnny Frasier's record of 50 points scored in a game with 52 vs Whiteville

Career

Attempts: 1117-3rd All time in NC

Yards: 8552 -6th All time in NC

Rushing TD: 109 -5th All time in NC behind McClendon, Parks, Hood and Henry

Total Yardage: 12,933 3rd All time in NC behind Leak and Surratt

Points Scored: 765 3rd All time in NC behind McClendon and Parks

Touchdown Responsibility: 170 4th All time behind Surratt, Leak and McClendon

-Passing-wise Trey was 42-91 for 851 yards 13 TD and 4 INT

-Career Passing 231-485 4381 yards 61 TD 29 INT

-Rushed for 100 or more yards in every game, 200 or more 8 times and 300 or more twice in 2017

for his career: 100 or more yards 43 times, 200 or more 10 times.

3rd all time in NC with 43 100 yard games behind Parks and Henry

-Defensively Trey saw action in 16 quarters on the year (mostly in the playoffs and sparingly through-out the regular season) and recorded 60 tackles, 2.0 TFL, 4 INT and 10 pass break ups from the free safety position

Definite injustice...he's got my vote FWIW.........1A and 2A schools get shafted a lot of times on Shrine bowl picks...................He should be player of the year at NC Preps...at least in 2A if not overall................................

Did he go to any Shrine Bowl combines?

If the answer is No, then that is why he is not on the Shrine Bowl roster.

I see what you're saying, those are very impressive numbers. The only issue is this.

Hilton Ahers 6 foot 5 235 pound qb committed to ECU
Stephon Brown 6 foot 5 220 pound qb committed to ASU

Dante Miller RB offers from James Madison, wofford and the US Naval academy
Ricky Person RB committed to NC State
Jahmir smith RB committed to Notre dame.

Now we know he's not going to take those guys spots or be put on the roster over them .
However, the best argument would be against the Murphy qb being on the team because his coach is the nc shrine bowl coach. That's an issue

Combine he was around 5'9" and 195 lbs. Did not participate in events due to leg injury. Was strong on the bench with 21 at 185.

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
I have become convinced over the years that the Shrine Bowl is really about "who you know" for the players selected, it's never really been done fairly in my lifetime and i doubt it ever will be. Lot of really good players from smaller schools never get the recognition they deserve and that's just wrong.

How is Trey Robinson not on the NC Shrine Bowl roster? I understand he may not have the QB stats to make it as a QB but as a RB or Athlete, or DB/LB? its insane to have a kid of this caliber who leads WNC in career rushing, career TD and single season TD scored not on a roster with the state's best. This has to be a inadvertent oversight and not a purposeful omission on the part of the NC coaching staff. And this is a call to correct that oversight.

Trey Robinson has been a force for Mountain Heritage football now for 4 years. With him as their starting QB, Mountain Heritage has went 41-12 over the past 4 years, and excluding the freshman campaign of 6-6 they are 35-6. The following accomplishments are indicative not only of Trey but of all his team-mates and their countless hours of hard work and dedication to Mountain Heritage football. Those kids deserve the right to have their efforts represented by Trey in this game.

Trey Robinson: 2017

Attempts: 344

Yards: 3146 (1st in the State 4th in the Nation)

YPC; 9.1

YPG; 224.7

Rushing TD: 45 (9th All time in NC) 12th in the Nation

Points scored: 316 avg of 22.6 a game 1st in the State (5th in the Nation)

Career-wise:

Trey is the only player in NC history to rush for 8000 and pass for 4000

Broke Johnny Frasier's record of 50 points scored in a game with 52 vs Whiteville

Career

Attempts: 1117-3rd All time in NC

Yards: 8552 -6th All time in NC

Rushing TD: 109 -5th All time in NC behind McClendon, Parks, Hood and Henry

Total Yardage: 12,933 3rd All time in NC behind Leak and Surratt

Points Scored: 765 3rd All time in NC behind McClendon and Parks

Touchdown Responsibility: 170 4th All time behind Surratt, Leak and McClendon

-Passing-wise Trey was 42-91 for 851 yards 13 TD and 4 INT

-Career Passing 231-485 4381 yards 61 TD 29 INT

-Rushed for 100 or more yards in every game, 200 or more 8 times and 300 or more twice in 2017

for his career: 100 or more yards 43 times, 200 or more 10 times.

3rd all time in NC with 43 100 yard games behind Parks and Henry

-Defensively Trey saw action in 16 quarters on the year (mostly in the playoffs and sparingly through-out the regular season) and recorded 60 tackles, 2.0 TFL, 4 INT and 10 pass break ups from the free safety position
Trey Robinson is good hard nose football player but he is a full back playing QB. He’s style of running wouldn’t be effective on today’s allstar team or college level. If teams still used fullbacks he would definitely be on there.

I see what you're saying, those are very impressive numbers. The only issue is this.

Hilton Ahers 6 foot 5 235 pound qb committed to ECU
Stephon Brown 6 foot 5 220 pound qb committed to ASU

Dante Miller RB offers from James Madison, wofford and the US Naval academy
Ricky Person RB committed to NC State
Jahmir smith RB committed to Notre dame.

Now we know he's not going to take those guys spots or be put on the roster over them .
However, the best argument would be against the Murphy qb being on the team because his coach is the nc shrine bowl coach. That's an issue

Trey should have been on the shrine bowl team. Just because a player is d 1 , does not mean he is better on high school level, lot of d1 players are recruited on potential.

Shrine Bowl misses a lot of great players and have inferior ones on the team. Heck they added a QB last year that shouldn't have been no where close to being on the team, but I believe his dad was one of the coaches.

Shrine Bowl misses a lot of great players and have inferior ones on the team. Heck they added a QB last year that shouldn't have been no where close to being on the team, but I believe his dad was one of the coaches.

Oh yea. We call that politics!

Reactions: dogs79

Ken Avent was a late addition during the week. You can call it politics but there were several factors. A couple of QBs dropped out due to injury. His father was OC last year. Ran the same spread offense from his high school team. Did not play much. A few others turned down the offer. The other late addition, Myers Park QB Jack Davidson, was the mvp. He is a walk on at UNC. Had non P5 offers. He was third qb from Charlotte on the list.

That's the reason it's hard to beat the South Carolina teams, they mean business down there. Looks good down the road for thier players in recruiting .

That's the reason it's hard to beat the South Carolina teams, they mean business down there. Looks good down the road for thier players in recruiting .

SC deals with the same questions and accusations as NC although SC puts more emphasis as a whole on the sport.

From 1985 through 2001 NC played their championship games the same weekend as the Shrine Bowl. During that time SC won 12 of 17 contests. Starting in 2002 the Shrine Bowl was played one week after NC title games except for 2016 when the regular season was extended due to storms. Since 2002 NC leads the series 8-7.

Thanks btango for that info. I just remember those days when S.C. seem to win them all. But I do remember N.C. changing the date of the title game. I wasn't sure of wins & lose numbers since then.

Lots of those awesome Richmond County players never got to play in Shrine Bowl during those championship seasons as well as many others of NC’s best players.

Reactions: beamer24
It should have been Joe Butts!!

That replacement caused some head scratching when it was announced. Butts' head coach, Mark Holcomb, was on the 2015 staff and is highly respected by the people that run the game but the coaches 100% determine the players selected. Once it goes to replacements a lot of non football items seem to come into play, mostly availability, readiness to play, scheduling conflicts.

The two initial picks (Hooker and Jones) in 2016 were not able to play due to their teams being in the rescheduled state title games. The next two picks (Ifedi and Cheek) turned down the opportunity. Davidson accepted. There may have been a fourth replacement contacted before naming Avent but I cannot remember.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT