ADVERTISEMENT

2019 East Surry

Mavrick69

Feb 25, 2018
Burnsville NC
A question for all you posters that have keep up with 1aa or even 1a football thru the years in NC . Where would you rank East Surry all time.I got to thinking about that ?.
I listened to the East Surry Reidsville game and the Mitchell game.also watched the state champion game vs Tarboro. as far as a passing game it had to be the best I've ever seen at the 1aa level and not sure I've seen much better in any class, but like I said I've not seen many of the great 1aa teams in the past. To score over 50 points on Reidsville and Tarboro is something that's just not done.

One of the best 1A/1AA teams of their era (last 10-15 years), undoubtedly the best passing attack I've ever seen at the 1A/1AA level and as a result possibly the best 1A/1AA offense I've seen in this era. Defensively they weren't great but they didn't have to be with that offense.

As far comparing them to the great 1A teams of 20 or 30 years ago that would be silly because the game is a lot different now. They are among the best handful of 1A/1AA teams I've seen in the current era and that's all you can say really.

Last edited:
One of the very best 1A/1AA teams of their era (last 10-15 years), undoubtedly the best passing attack I've ever seen at the 1A/1AA level and as a result possibly (probably) the best 1A/1AA offense I've seen in this era. Defensively they weren't great but they didn't have to be with that offense.

As far comparing them to the great 1A teams of 20 or 30 years ago that would be silly because the game is a lot different now. They are among the best handful of 1A/1AA teams I've seen in the current era and that's all you can say really.

the only team that really ripped their defense was Mitchell and reidsville. I was shocked that Tarboro didn’t go in with the same plan as Mitchell. Running the ball and controlling the clock.

the only team that really ripped their defense was Mitchell and Reidsville .
Tarboro was too before the turnover bug hit them and they had to change their gameplan because they were playing catch up. East were absolutely gashed on the ground by the three truly good teams they played and in the case of Reidsville ground and air. Look I've sung their praises but they weren't that good of a defensive team in my eyes.

Reactions: knine1 and Mhsneer
Match ups make a huge difference as you know. I got to say. The best offensive game plan and use of players by both sides in the Mitchell vs East surry game. East had the best spread offense at this level I’ve ever seen. I will say I think the 2016 Murphy team would’ve give them a really hard matchup.

Reactions: mbdfan
The wnc record setting Robbinsville team was also a good passing team. Maybe not on es level but really good for a school with 320 kids.

The wnc record setting Robbinsville team was also a good passing team. Maybe not on es level but really good for a school with 320 kids.

pound for pound robbinsville is the best football program in the state. People don’t understand how hard it is to even field a team with what 150 boys? In the whole school

Reactions: Gentle Knight
If you put the 19 East Surry offense with the 03 Elkin defense there wouldn't be a more dominant team to come out of the Northwest.

East surry was dominant as anyone. The offense probably hurt the defensive stats some because they scored so quickly. Some folks on here point to Mitchell as being a bad game for them, but Mitchell had one heck of an offense last year. The oline at Mitchell was as good as they’ve had since 2015.

Mitchell was a very good team, but East Surry was better. I know everyone wants to point to a play at the end of the game that could have led to Mitchell winning, but we can take back 2 of Mitchell’s TD’s if the officials chose not to ignore 2 plays.

Robbinsville was also a very good team, but IMHO they do not beat East Surry, Tarboro, or Mitchell in a head to head match-up. Mitchell was definitely the 3rd best team in the state behind East Surry & Tarboro.

Mitchell was a very good team, but East Surry was better. I know everyone wants to point to a play at the end of the game that could have led to Mitchell winning, but we can take back 2 of Mitchell’s TD’s if the officials chose not to ignore 2 plays. Robbinsville was also a very good team, but IMHO they do not beat East Surry, Tarboro, or Mitchell in a head to head match-up. Mitchell was definitely the 3rd best team in the state behind East Surry & Tarboro.

from watching the state championship game I’m not sure Mitchell wasn’t better than tarboro. Our qb was all banged up when we played East. With him at 100% I think we’d have beaten tarboro. East’s offense and especially the wideouts were unreal. They were a true 1a champ and beat the 2a champ at their place. That puts them in rare air historically.

It’s so hard to imagine how a 1A defense would stop that offense. At this level, there just aren’t many teams that can throw the ball. Thinking back on really good defensive teams, they all were great at shutting down the run. That forced option qbs to throw and that made things even worse. There may have been some team that had multiple D1 defensive backs and a good pass rush that could force ES to run the ball, but I don’t remember them.

It’s so hard to imagine how a 1A defense would stop that offense. At this level, there just aren’t many teams that can throw the ball. Thinking back on really good defensive teams, they all were great at shutting down the run. That forced option qbs to throw and that made things even worse. There may have been some team that had multiple D1 defensive backs and a good pass rush that could force ES to run the ball, but I don’t remember them.
'05-'06 Thomasville had multiple D1 guys on defense, they were loaded with size and speed. Thinking back on it I believe they were probably the best equipped team in the last decade or so to do it. Those two Thomasville teams for my money are still the best of this current era because they had it all really, dominant in all three phases of the game.

I think some of those great WRH teams of the last decade had the personnel on defense but because they virtually never saw a very good passing attack out east they would've been shellshocked, similiar to how Tarboro was. I'm not saying some of those WRH teams couldn't have beat East Surry but I think it would've been a shootout if they did. I think '18 Tarboro versus '19 East Surry would've been highly compelling.

Another recent 1AA team I would like to see versus the 2019 East Surry team is the 2012 SW Onslow team, that SW Onslow group is one I look back on as very elite.

Last edited:
Records from Carolina Preps
Mount Airy State Records
Season League Classification

2017 NCHSAA 1AA State Runner-Up
2016 NCHSAA 1AA Regional Finals
2009 NCHSAA 1A State Runner-Up
2008 NCHSAA 1A State Champions
2006 NCHSAA 1AA Regional Finals
1996 NCHSAA 1A Regional Finals
1987 NCHSAA 2A Regional Finals
1982 NCHSAA 3A Regional Finals
1981 NCHSAA 3A Regional Finals
1969 NCHSAA 3A State Runner-Up
1968 NCHSAA 3A State Champions
1948 NCHSAA 1A State Champions
1947 NCHSAA 1A State Runner-Up
1946 NCHSAA 1A State Champions
1942 NCHSAA 1A State Champions
1938 NCHSAA Class B
1935 NCHSAA Class B

This May go further back since MA started
football between 1912 & 1917 and it is my guess
that they may have won more championships under
Wally Shelton before 1935.

Records from Carolina Preps
East Surry State Records and 2018 & 19 were East Surry's best years since 1963. They have won the NWC championship several times Things are looking up.
Season League Classification

2019 NCHSAA 1AA State Champions
2018 NCHSAA 1AA State Runner-Up
2001 NCHSAA 1AA Regional Finals
1963 NCHSAA 1A State Champions

Not taking anything away from ES's record because
they have had some really good team over the years
and will continue to be a force to be reckoned with.

Last year's East Surry team had the best passing attack I've seen at the 1a level in a long time. If the 2018 Tarboro team played them it would have been a incredible game I think Tarboro would have won though. Our defensive line that year was nasty

Reactions: UNC91
MA 2008 pretty good team. Shut down D and really good offense. Passing and throwing offence and D. This ES team D was not close and no running game.
That 2008 team has the 3rd place highest scoring of all teams 1A through 4A in the NCHSAA records, they scored 845 points with only 94 points against them winning 16 games to zero loses and won the state championship that year.

Reactions: buzzcoach
2016 Murphy was better balanced than 19 East Surry, Murphy would have easily won by two scores, check em out on YouTube, East Surry comes in second all time, best pass game I ever saw in 1 or 2 a

The best East Surry team in their School History 2019

Albemarle had some great teams in the 2000-2013.

I doubt that
I don't agree with the easily won part and not sure they would have won but that was an excellent Murphy team with a great d-line and a big athletic secondary (a very good 6'2 corner, a very good 6'2 free safety, etc.) and a lethal offense that could run and pass equally well.

They no showed against Franklin early in the year but were hell on wheels after that, the only serious challenge being against the best team Mountain Island Charter has fielded. Aapri Washington was basically a much smaller but more athletic version of the older Gosnell brother. MIC had multiple D1 guys that year, same as East Surry. Aapri Washington is the best all around high school player I've seen Murphy go up against (that includes future NFL players and major D1 recruits) and the only reason he ended up at a smaller D1 school instead of Clemson or Alabama is because he is about 5'8. I bet he still ends up in the NFL though, he was/is that good and grades out as one of the best handful of cover corners in all of D1 football.

If '19 Mitchell gave '19 East Surry all they could handle I feel '16 Murphy would have given them even more of a challenge.

Last edited:
I don't agree with the easily won part and not sure they would have won but that was an excellent Murphy team with a great d-line and a big athletic secondary (a very good 6'2 corner, a very good 6'2 free safety, etc.) and a lethal offense that could run and pass equally well.

They no showed against Franklin early in the year but were hell on wheels after that, the only serious challenge being against the best team Mountain Island Charter has fielded. Aapri Washington was basically a much smaller but more athletic version of the older Gosnell brother. MIC had multiple D1 guys that year, same as East Surry. Aapri Washington is the best all around high school player I've seen Murphy go up against (that includes future NFL players and major D1 recruits) and the only reason he ended up at a smaller D1 school instead of Clemson or Alabama is because he is 5'8. I bet he still ends up in the NFL though, he was/is that good.

If '19 Mitchell gave '19 East Surry all they could handle I feel '16 Murphy would have given them even more of a challenge.

That was the part I was talking about the easily part

Reactions: mbdfan

They no showed against Franklin early in the year but were hell on wheels after that, the only serious challenge being against the best team Mountain Island Charter has fielded. Aapri Washington was basically a much smaller but more athletic version of the older Gosnell brother. MIC had multiple D1 guys that year, same as East Surry. Aapri Washington is the best all around high school player I've seen Murphy go up against (that includes future NFL players and major D1 recruits) and the only reason he ended up at a smaller D1 school instead of Clemson or Alabama is because he is about 5'8. I bet he still ends up in the NFL though, he was/is that good and grades out as one of the best handful of cover corners in all of D1 football.

19 Mitchell would’ve won the 1a. No disrespect to Robbinsville a great team. 19 Mitchell was our best team since 15

I just wish 19 Mitchell would have got a crack at 19 Murphy, or Robbinsville would have been sweet

That was the part I was talking about the easily part
You evidently didn't see the 16 Murphy team play, from a lifelong MITCHELL fan 16 Murphy was probably the most physical 1a team I ever saw, would have smacked the flatlanders in the mouth, dont take my word for it they're on YouTube

You evidently didn't see the 16 Murphy team play, from a lifelong MITCHELL fan 16 Murphy was probably the most physical 1a team I ever saw, would have smacked the flatlanders in the mouth, dont take my word for it they're on YouTube

ok I’ll take a look. I still don’t t know about smacked

I looked at the schedule. Beat hendo by 4

thanks I seen you guys beat hendo they were solid in the 2a west that year. What happened vs Franklin?
Yeah didn't come out of the gates strong at all that year, just flat out didn't show up that night against Franklin. Even the Hendersonville game they were far from playing their best yet.

But yeah the Franklin game that year is one of top 2 or 3 most disappointing regular season losses I've personally seen at Murphy, it's one thing to lose but it's another to never get off the bus. That game was a huge wake up call for that group though, fueled their run the rest of the way.

Last edited:
Yeah didn't come out of the gates strong at all that year, just flat out didn't show up that night against Franklin. Even the Hendersonville game they were far from playing their best yet.

But yeah the Franklin game that year is one of top 2 or 3 most disappointing regular season losses I've personally seen at Murphy, it's one thing to lose but it's another to never get off the bus. That game was a huge wake up call for that group though, fueled their run the rest of the way.

Yes, because I believe hendo was better than Franklin that year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT