ADVERTISEMENT

2A 2019-2020 2A Boys Early Season Predictions

1way2play

Dec 4, 2005
Here is a list of early season boys teams to watch on the West-East 2A this season:
2A West
Mountain Heritage is loaded again on a 21-2 team from last season. South Point returns 9 players from a 15-12 team. Newton-Conover returns 10 players from last years 16-12 team. Lexington was one of the best young teams last season and return 7 players from a 18-10 team. Other teams you should never count out: Shelby, East Lincoln, Forest Hills, and West Stokes. All are successful year in and year out and have fantastic coaches on the sidelines.

2A East
Kinston has 9 players returning from a 24-7 team. Farmville Central was very young last season and still won the state championship although they may have lost a few players to transfer. Randleman returns 8 players from a 19-8 team. Reidsville returns 8 players from a 20-10 team. Southwest Edgecome returns 7 players from a 15-14 team and Vance County returns 8 players from a 24-6 team.

Below is a breakdown of the top 20 West-East 2018-2019 records, the number of players returning, and the number of points returning. All data was compiled from Maxpreps statistics. I have also included last seasons preseason chart to show how experience and number of points do not always lead to high finishes but it is a general indicator as you can see. The top number is where they were preseason and the second number is where they finished postseason.

What does everyone else think? Have you seen any of the teams on the list play this summer and how good to you think they are?

2019-2020 West-East Preseason Top 20

2018-2019 West-East Preseason Top 20

Last edited:
Interesting post!

Off topic a little bit, but no way Vance County should still be in the 2A ranks after combining 2, 2A schools.

Reactions: ramking2012
Nice to see that they’ve given North Davidson some love in this poll... but I think they’re on the verge of dropping back into obscurity. Had a nice run last year, thanks to a very talented player. He’s gone. New coach. They’ll be lucky to finish as high as 3rd in a fairly average CCC this year.

Mountain Heritage, once they get the football guys, will be one of the better teams 1A-4A this year. Very smart team with skill players and size. They will be a tough out this year and I think, barring injury, will win the 2A Championship.

Nice to see that they’ve given North Davidson some love in this poll... but I think they’re on the verge of dropping back into obscurity. Had a nice run last year, thanks to a very talented player. He’s gone. New coach. They’ll be lucky to finish as high as 3rd in a fairly average CCC this year.

North Davidson got a transfer from Lexington. North Davidson will be a lot strong with the Tedric Jenkins. So that makes Lexington only have 6 returning players from last years team. Surprise not to hear about Salisbury Ledford and Thomasville. Thomasville had a really young team last year. They return 8 players and had a really strong jv team.

Mountain Heritage, once they get the football guys, will be one of the better teams 1A-4A this year. Very smart team with skill players and size. They will be a tough out this year and I think, barring injury, will win the 2A Championship.

Still think FarmVille Central will win the state championship again.

Reidsville will be better this year. Not sure who will be the Head Coach but they have talent.

MH won't win a 2A Men's State Title with the Coach they have right now...

Reactions: wncbowhunter

Strong statement, not saying you are wrong just strong statement. I will say no one in WHC or WNC should be able to play with them. I am not sure they will be any better than last season. Auemiller is a big loss. That being said they will be very very deep and can play big or go small.

Big man will definitely still be at Heritage. Son of the defending 2A State Champion Women’s coach. Should be an exciting year for both squads at Heritage. Looking for a deep run in the playoffs for sure, but State Titles are very hard to come by.

He has done a good job with the MH team. Why would you make a statement or comment about players or coaches? Not why the boards were created but coming from Avery I can see the animosity toward other WNC teams and coaches. Best of luck as the season is approaching and we will see. I do wish MH would venture out and play Charlotte teams or Asheville Christian or other teams like that. It gives you an indicator of if you can play with teams in playoffs or down east.

He has done a good job with the MH team. Why would you make a statement or comment about players or coaches? Not why the boards were created but coming from Avery I can see the animosity toward other WNC teams and coaches. Best of luck as the season is approaching and we will see. I do wish MH would venture out and play Charlotte teams or Asheville Christian or other teams like that. It gives you an indicator of if you can play with teams in playoffs or down east.
My message was not directed towards the players. They put in a large amount of time and effort in the gym year-round to play as well as they do. I have seen him get out coached multiple times against Avery when really and truly, they had chances to beat us. Don't you think Susie Shelton has helped the girls team come back or hold on against Avery in the 4th qtr before to remain undefeated in the conference??? Also I have heard many people from Yancey County announce their dislike for Hank Newson as a coach. Being a jerk won't get you far...

If Robinson hadn’t helped last year they wouldn’t have gotten to Shelby game. Hank really has no philosophy. Palsgrove was play Virginia style. S. Hopson’s is push the ball and play full court. Hanks is run 1,000 set plays and change your defensive philosophy if a team has talent. Honestly if Suzy Hopson coaches the boys they’d probably win a state championship. Hank will find a way to lose

Reactions: AHVikingNation
Not sure why everyone is worried about how Heritage is going to finish this season. May want to worry about how your team is going to prevent a running clock when you meet them this year.

If Robinson hadn’t helped last year they wouldn’t have gotten to Shelby game. Hank really has no philosophy. Palsgrove was play Virginia style. S. Hopson’s is push the ball and play full court. Hanks is run 1,000 set plays and change your defensive philosophy if a team has talent. Honestly if Suzy Hopson coaches the boys they’d probably win a state championship. Hank will find a way to lose
You are correct sir. Polsgrove and Grubb both coached their teams to win in tough games during Avery's tenure.

Not sure why everyone is worried about how Heritage is going to finish this season. May want to worry about how your team is going to prevent a running clock when you meet them this year.
Not worried about how they are gonna finish. The will be filthy. Just saying the coach's lack of coaching ability could hinder their progress of a 2A State Title.

Reactions: Mhsneer
Point is 84. When they face a really good team in the playoffs the coach is a liability and it’s more than obvious. Anyone could coach that team and win the whc. They’re loaded. You have to coach hard to lose with them. Which your coach did against Shelby last year

Reactions: AHVikingNation
This group of seniors and a few of the juniors have been together a long time. I think 1 year they were like 76-1 in AAU YBOA tournaments and leagues and know how to play together. Many of these tournaments were in Atlanta, Knoxville and Charlotte areas. From what I’m hearing they are extra focused this year and putting in a lot of individual effort on the court even though most of the team is on a successful high school football team as well. A lot to ask of the kids but not sure any group of multi sport athletes has ever been stronger at Mtn. Heritage. Looking forward to a good season after football finishes up, and I fully expect the team to have much success and do everything possible to reach their goals for the year.

Tony miller or Barry Johnson would win a state championship with this group

This group of seniors and a few of the juniors have been together a long time. I think 1 year they were like 76-1 in AAU YBOA tournaments and leagues and know how to play together. Many of these tournaments were in Atlanta, Knoxville and Charlotte areas. From what I’m hearing they are extra focused this year and putting in a lot of individual effort on the court even though most of the team is on a successful high school football team as well. A lot to ask of the kids but not sure any group of multi sport athletes has ever been stronger at Mtn. Heritage. Looking forward to a good season after football finishes up, and I fully expect the team to have much success and do everything possible to reach their goals for the year.
Only if they stay west, come east and they in trouble

Heritage reminds me a lot of the 2013-14 Avery teams. Great team size, shooters, and deep off the bench. Very deep, maybe one of the deepest teams in the state in any classification. They don’t defend like a Polsgrove coached team but they defend enough, and offensively they score points at will. They’ve spent a lot of summers playing together, and most of that was not in the West. I’ve seen them beat a lot of teams and win a lot of tournaments. I Believe they have a great shot in boys and also to repeat in girls.

Reactions: wncbowhunter
Tony miller or Barry Johnson would win a state championship with this group

Lol! You are clueless!!! I’ve lived here (Burnsville) and been around basketball my entire life and though I really like both of them NEITHER would or did get it done. This is as special of a group as we’ve ever had here and like 84 said they have been playing against high level competition since they were in the 3rd grade. They were traveling to Charlotte every other weekend from the 4th thru 8th grade playing in fall and winter leagues to get used to playing against athletes and then playing off the mountain every summer too. The only thing I would like to see them do differently is to get in good enough basketball shape so that any of them could play the entire game without being subbed out and for them to fullcourt press from the tip. Hopefully, the boys will take it upon themselves to get in shape if the coaches won’t. They’ve put the work in so now it’s on them to want it enough to do it. I wish their #1 regular season goal was to see how games they could get to a running clock and be ready to roll come playoff time.

Farmville Central is the top dog and it would/will take a monumental effort for someone to keep them from hanging back to back banners. Justin Wright and his teammates are the real deal!!!

Reactions: Kadyn930
Polsgrove at Avery was a really good coach and enjoyed watching him develop teams that dominated the WHC for quite a few years. I do believe these guys would compete well against those teams and they can defend just as well as the Polsgrove teams. Also have someone 6’10” in the middle to eliminate the drives by Puckett and the rest. Would be fun seeing that matchup. You are right very similar in style. I would give Avery the edge in set offense and Heritage the edge in transition.

Reactions: WHChoops
Averys team defense under palsgrove was impressive. If heritage played more freelance and pressed man more they’d be tough for anyone to handle

The 96 Madison basketball team is the best whc men’s team I’ve ever seen.

Cutshaw 6’8
Ezzelle 6’9
Ponder 6’4
Mcdivet point gaurd.

I can’t remember the shooting gaurd. They lost in the final four to thomasville. Avery that year was very good as well. It was probably the best the whc has ever been top to bottom. Heritage was good that year too.

Avery had

Coffey 6’9
Cable 6’7
Manis 6’5
Poteat
Our representative Josh Dobson. They were the only team to beat Madison in the regular season I believe.

Polk traditionally had good teams all the way back to Polk central. Mcintyre guy was good player then had like 13 kids that were all pretty good. Good family

Reactions: CatDad312
Lol! You are clueless!!! I’ve lived here (Burnsville) and been around basketball my entire life and though I really like both of them NEITHER would or did get it done. This is as special of a group as we’ve ever had here and like 84 said they have been playing against high level competition since they were in the 3rd grade. They were traveling to Charlotte every other weekend from the 4th thru 8th grade playing in fall and winter leagues to get used to playing against athletes and then playing off the mountain every summer too. The only thing I would like to see them do differently is to get in good enough basketball shape so that any of them could play the entire game without being subbed out and for them to fullcourt press from the tip. Hopefully, the boys will take it upon themselves to get in shape if the coaches won’t. They’ve put the work in so now it’s on them to want it enough to do it. I wish their #1 regular season goal was to see how games they could get to a running clock and be ready to roll come playoff time.
Although I agree mainly with you on all of this, especially with leaving the games in no doubt whenever possible, I have a little bit different thought on the running clock. With the highly talented group of seniors that we will have this year, I would prefer in getting some players returning next year some valuable minutes prior to starting a running clock. Once that begins it is like getting about 3 minutes of playing time I would guess. Some of the new additions to the varsity team could be brought in with some more experienced players and get some valuable time on the floor before a running clock could begin. And if it did not, it would still make up the difference with experience. Heritage will be graduating about 6 seniors that will make up a large portion of the rebounds, points and defense of this years team. Finishing a game without the running clock really gives all the players more floor time and occasionally may assist in eclipsing the 100 point mark as a plus.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT