ADVERTISEMENT

2019-20 Western 1A Picks and predictions

PantherPit07

Aug 17, 2003
Girls
1) East Surry (impressive season in 2018-19 representing the West in the championship, they have no seniors, and have D1 signee Elle Sumptin, so no reason they shoudnt be considered the favorites
2) Union Academy ( they were ranked 4th last season and return 2 guards that are very good, losing a big post senior will hurt but they should still be at the top)
3) Cherokee ( they return almost all skill players other than Teesateskie, they have great guard play and can catch fire from 3, as well as play very aggressive and fast)
4) Murphy (they should have been playing in the SHip maybe even won it but they didnt but have had a great run in previous years, this years team will lose a lot, star player Clapsaddle and 2 other starting guards that are playmakers and play good D, but they still have hope they will return Foward Addison who is a playmaker and defender, Freshman 6"1 Rogers who played great in her Fresman season and is a player to watch for years to come, Pickens who was first off bench but would have started for any other team, shes got a beautiful shot and can drain 3's, and Pullium who can dominate down low and plays hard, as well as a good 9th grade class, and no im not form Murphy)
5)Lincoln Charter (No Seniors poised for a good season)
6)Hiwassee Dam
7)Langtree Charter
8)Robbinsville
9)Gray Stone Day
10)Mitchell

I don't know much about the teams you listed but if your correct and they are 9 teams in the 1a West better than Mitchell next season then we should see some really good games especially in the 1a West playoffs.I'm sure they will be a few teams that were not thinking of will make a run sometimes it on takes an addition of 1or 2 players to really make a difference...

Reactions: PantherPit07
East Surry will for sure be the favorite. Murphy and Cherokee will be around the top again. Mitchell should be in the top 5. Lost to Mt Heritage by 15, 13, 13 this yr. (Farmville lost by 10). Lost to Avery 2nd rd in OT by 4. Heritage loses 3 starters, Avery loses 5, Mitchell loses 0. Started 3 sophomores and 2 juniors with a freshman 1st off the bench. Not guaranteeing anything, but if they improve any over the summer they should be a top 5 team next year.

East Surry will for sure be the favorite. Murphy and Cherokee will be around the top again. Mitchell should be in the top 5. Lost to Mt Heritage by 15, 13, 13 this yr. (Farmville lost by 10). Lost to Avery 2nd rd in OT by 4. Heritage loses 3 starters, Avery loses 5, Mitchell loses 0. Started 3 sophomores and 2 juniors with a freshman 1st off the bench. Not guaranteeing anything, but if they improve any over the summer they should be a top 5 team next year.
Mitchell is not winning anything big anyway.
You might be top 5. 3rd round tops. You want beat Cherokee or murphy. Lincoln charter no way top 5 team. Don't forget about Allegheny. They lost some but not everybody. Having played them last season, they are tough. They will get better as season goes on playing in that tough split conference. Let me enlighten you Mitchell fans, you are not beating MH!!

Mitchell is not winning anything big anyway.

You might be top 5. 3rd round tops. You want beat Cherokee or murphy. Lincoln charter no way top 5 team. Don't forget about Allegheny. They lost some but not everybody. Having played them last season, they are tough. They will get better as season goes on playing in that tough split conference. Let me enlighten you Mitchell fans, you are not beating MH!!
I come up with a solution of how Mitchell can make it to regionals next two years. Take a beach trip, meet up with your delusional pamlico fans that you pull for, and get them to beg the nchsaa to let Mitchell play in the east region next year. Then you have a chance lol.

I come up with a solution of how Mitchell can make it to regionals next two years. Take a beach trip, meet up with your delusional pamlico fans that you pull for, and get them to beg the nchsaa to let Mitchell play in the east region next year. Then you have a chance lol.
Well I do love a good beach trip, I love crab legs, so that would be cool,I wouldn’t mind to meet some fans from the east, that sounds pretty cool, I wouldn’t mind to personally congratulate Pamlico fans on a great year and a state championship, that would be pretty cool, I’d prefer not to play in the east unless we were a top seed so we didn’t have to drive real far, but to see a game at a school in the east, that would be pretty cool, I actually like your suggestion, it sounds pretty cool! See what you can do to make that happen.

Reactions: FB is my Life
I have a feeling that next season will be one for the ages, but if the basketball dont live up to the hype I'm sure the entertainment on this site will be priceless...as far as next season goes for Mt Heritage we will be good but how good is yet to be determined, but the talent is there..I don't know too .much about the 1a teams but I do find it interesting to why the really competitive 1a West playoff games we so low scoring..

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
I have a feeling that next season will be one for the ages, but if the basketball dont live up to the hype I'm sure the entertainment on this site will be priceless...as far as next season goes for Mt Heritage we will be good but how good is yet to be determined, but the talent is there..I don't know too .much about the 1a teams but I do find it interesting to why the really competitive 1a West playoff games we so low scoring..
Yea regional final was. Avery Murphy was 68 63. They couldn't miss a shot lol.

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it does it make a sound ? If a person talks and no one answers do they just talk to theirselves ? Just how many times can a person keep repeating themselves ? I seem to be full of questions today. :eek:

Just found out two Avery girls are playing in 1a girls west/midwest all star game Saturday. I hope they play well and put on a good show for the WHC!

McIntosh and Franklin? Nelson is in the Blue/White correct?

Come on down to your favorite gym and watch the game Saturday.

Go Mountaineers

McIntosh and Franklin? Nelson is in the Blue/White correct?

Come on down to your favorite gym and watch the game Saturday.

Go Mountaineers
Nelson and McIntosh. Franklin surprisingly is not even though her and Nelson got all conference and all tournament. But Franklin, McKinney, and Daniels are playing at Mitchell. Also, avery's coach Wiseman is their coach. I think Franklin will put on a show. After the e60 went well for Franklin and bad for McIntosh and Nelson. I think she would do the best in the best in the blue white game just because of her overall basketball iq and shooting ability. But with her injuries that costed her a chance to play d2 next year, it is probably a good thing she is playing in a less competitive game. She actually did very well in two college camps last summer from what I hear, but got a serious hip injury. McIntosh and Nelson could very well help their chances to play college ball if they play well. I just honestly think Franklin was the most versatile of the 3, and would be the best college player. Maybe after a year or two to get back to 100 percent, she might walk on somewhere. I just wish all 5 girls have fun and have 1 last game to play well if they never play again. Also, Avery girls seem to play better at Mitchell than Avery. Vice versa for the Mitchell girls at avery!!

Reactions: wncbowhunter
Hate to see anyone injured, hopefully Franklin can recover 100% from her injuries. Was hoping to see the games tomorrow night but I'm out of town. Good luck to all involved.

Nelson and McIntosh. Franklin surprisingly is not even though her and Nelson got all conference and all tournament. But Franklin, McKinney, and Daniels are playing at Mitchell. Also, avery's coach Wiseman is their coach. I think Franklin will put on a show. After the e60 went well for Franklin and bad for McIntosh and Nelson. I think she would do the best in the best in the blue white game just because of her overall basketball iq and shooting ability. But with her injuries that costed her a chance to play d2 next year, it is probably a good thing she is playing in a less competitive game. She actually did very well in two college camps last summer from what I hear, but got a serious hip injury. McIntosh and Nelson could very well help their chances to play college ball if they play well. I just honestly think Franklin was the most versatile of the 3, and would be the best college player. Maybe after a year or two to get back to 100 percent, she might walk on somewhere. I just wish all 5 girls have fun and have 1 last game to play well if they never play again. Also, Avery girls seem to play better at Mitchell than Avery. Vice versa for the Mitchell girls at avery!!
“ after the e60 went well for Franklin and bad for McIntosh and Nelson “? You do know you’re bashing girls from the team “ you love so much”? McIntosh, 1000+ pts and 500+ assists. Nelson 2000+ pts. I’ve never seen anyone on a forum promote a kid so hard and not

Reactions: recycled2
Be a family member. But just for clarity, I think Franklin was a great player, I saw her play many times. But to say she was the best player to ever wear an Avery uniform just shows your bias and ignorance.

Reactions: recycled2
You won’t see survivor next yr, but we can talk some b-ball. Heritage will be GOOD next yr, odds to repeat in 2a no doubt. Best pg in the West, maybe state next yr with a ton of talent around her. Not to mention the coach of the year in the WHC for how long? How many sophomores put up 29 in a state championship game? You’ll be the favorite in the WHC for sure, but I think Mitchell will surprise a lot of people next yr. heritage maybe not but maybe??

Be a family member. But just for clarity, I think Franklin was a great player, I saw her play many times. But to say she was the best player to ever wear an Avery uniform just shows your bias and ignorance.
You are crazy. I know all of these girls equally. I am not biased. When Franklin was100 percent last year, her numbers were great. She did not have the same explosiveness this year. I could see why. There were two d2 schools and 3 d3 schools looking at her this year. She turned them down cause of injury. She is at the top or among the top in almost every statistical category in Avery county history. 3pt field goal pct. And field goal pct. are impressive for her size. I'm not bashing anybody, I have watched all of them for 9 plus years. I know who has the most potential, and the 5 colleges back up my theory. The other 2 are great passers and scorers, but not good enough shooters or foul shooters to be super effective college players. Now with that said, always room for improvement. But when 100 percent, Franklin has the most potential.

You won’t see survivor next yr, but we can talk some b-ball. Heritage will be GOOD next yr, odds to repeat in 2a no doubt. Best pg in the West, maybe state next yr with a ton of talent around her. Not to mention the coach of the year in the WHC for how long? How many sophomores put up 29 in a state championship game? You’ll be the favorite in the WHC for sure, but I think Mitchell will surprise a lot of people next yr. heritage maybe not but maybe??
You want see Mitchell dethrone mh. No maybe, you want!!!

I think Blue Ridge boys and girls will win and dethrone MH, Mitchell, Avery and WS Prep all in 1 year....They have a 7'10 kid and 6'13 kid coming in this year. Plus, a 5'1 PG that can dunk a 15 foot goal. You all are in trouble. Go Blue Ridge.....
Give it a rest guys. Congrats to MH on States, Mitchell a great year in boys and girls and Avery girls....Hopefully, next season is just as entertaining as this year. On to other things now....

Girls
1) East Surry (impressive season in 2018-19 representing the West in the championship, they have no seniors, and have D1 signee Elle Sumptin, so no reason they shoudnt be considered the favorites
2) Union Academy ( they were ranked 4th last season and return 2 guards that are very good, losing a big post senior will hurt but they should still be at the top)
3) Cherokee ( they return almost all skill players other than Teesateskie, they have great guard play and can catch fire from 3, as well as play very aggressive and fast)
4) Murphy (they should have been playing in the SHip maybe even won it but they didnt but have had a great run in previous years, this years team will lose a lot, star player Clapsaddle and 2 other starting guards that are playmakers and play good D, but they still have hope they will return Foward Addison who is a playmaker and defender, Freshman 6"1 Rogers who played great in her Fresman season and is a player to watch for years to come, Pickens who was first off bench but would have started for any other team, shes got a beautiful shot and can drain 3's, and Pullium who can dominate down low and plays hard, as well as a good 9th grade class, and no im not form Murphy)
5)Lincoln Charter (No Seniors poised for a good season)
6)Hiwassee Dam
7)Langtree Charter
8)Robbinsville
9)Gray Stone Day
10)Mitchell

I would put GSDS over UA. GS returned everybody from last years team.

In the boys it will be Mt. Heritage and everyone else will be fighting for 2nd. They are head and shoulders above most teams. I saw them beat a very good Lincoln Charter team this summer and turn around and beat a very athletic Hickory team. The Lincoln Charter games was a shoot out and fun game to watch. MH won by 4 or 5 not sure. They beat a Hickory team by about 15 pts. Very good showing in my opinion.

In the boys it will be Mt. Heritage and everyone else will be fighting for 2nd. They are head and shoulders above most teams. I saw them beat a very good Lincoln Charter team this summer and turn around and beat a very athletic Hickory team. The Lincoln Charter games was a shoot out and fun game to watch. MH won by 4 or 5 not sure. They beat a Hickory team by about 15 pts. Very good showing in my opinion.

No doubt about Heritage being good but they are 2a not 1a. They will win the WHC without breaking a sweat. I feel the lack of regular season competition hurt the Cougars in The playoffs last season. Man the WHC boys was the polar opposite of the girls last year. Girls was loaded. Boys was MH and a bunch of teams that played hard without alot basketball talent. Dont won't to put the other teams down, they just wasnt as talented and won't be again this year. Heritage is one of the better shooting teams I have seen in quite sometime.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Murphy girls will be tough to beat again despite the loss of a couple talented guards. There are definitely other teams that will be in the mix but with Sutphin out at East Surry I don't see many (any?) teams matching up with Murphy's frontcourt of Rogers, a healthy Addison (played hurt last season) and Pullium. Lady Dogs are going to need another guard to emerge to pair with Pickens (Wilson?) though. They will be beatable but you better have some big time guard play to do it.

Last edited:
Can't believe Mount Airy Girls are missing. Below is MaxPreps season final rankings back to 2009. I could not get 2008-07 or 2006 to come up in 1A. Never count the Lady Bears out....
Rankings
2019 = #6
2018 = #1
2017 = #1
2016 = #4
2015 = # 13
2014 = # 5
2013 = #4
2012 =# 2
2011 = # 3
2010 = # 2
2009 =# 6
10 of 11 seasons they were ranked from # 1 to # 6 and no one found them worth mentioning . Well I did . :)

Last edited:
Reactions: bulldog nation2014
Can't believe Mount Airy Girls are missing. Below is MaxPreps season final rankings back to 2009. I could not get 1008-07 or 2006 to come up in 1A. Never count the Lady Bears out....
Rankings
2019 = #6
2018 = #1
2017 = #1
2016 = #4
2015 = # 13
2014 = # 5
2013 = #4
2012 =# 2
2011 = # 3
2010 = # 2
2009 =# 6
10 of 11 seasons they were ranked from # 1 to # 6 and no one found them worth mentioning . Well I did . :)

Agreed they will be in the hunt.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Can't believe Mount Airy Girls are missing. Below is MaxPreps season final rankings back to 2009. I could not get 2008-07 or 2006 to come up in 1A. Never count the Lady Bears out....
Rankings
2019 = #6
2018 = #1
2017 = #1
2016 = #4
2015 = # 13
2014 = # 5
2013 = #4
2012 =# 2
2011 = # 3
2010 = # 2
2009 =# 6

I’m sure Mount Airy will be good, but they lost 4 starters off of their team last year and didn’t seem to be very deep. They are coached very well though so they will always be in the hunt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT