ADVERTISEMENT

American Legion Baseball 2018 NCAL state tournament teams

Hon Dines

Aug 21, 2002
China Grove, NC
Here are a list of teams who will qualify.

As teams qualify I will update
as Area Finals are completed and Area seeds are complete

2018 NCAL STATE TOURNAMENT TEAMS

AREA 1
PITT COUNTY #1 seed
GARNER #2 seed

AREA II
WILMINGTON #1 seed
WHITEVILLE #2 seed

AREA III
HIGH POINT(HOST)
ROWAN COUNTY #1 seed

AREA IV
SHELBY #1 seed
CALDWELL #2 seed

Last edited:
Interesting to see Wake Forest with such a good showing in Area 1. Post 187 restarted their baseball program this year after about a 10 year absence.

Reactions: Hon Dines
Do we know what the first round matchups? Who does the Area 4 team champ and runner up play?

I know we won't know the teams. But do we know which area is matched up with each area?

Area 1 runner up vs. Area 4 champion

Like that.

nothing yet?

This is still a problem that is easy to fix, "if" leadership wants to fix it. We should know the state tournament matchups for this year and 5 years from now because it should be set in stone regardless. If there is a fixed rotation based upon a cyclical plan to evenly rotate the matchups each year, who can complain?? Why would baseball people who understand percentages and can eliminate opportunity for complaints not choose to set a rotation for tournament matchups?? I believe we simply do it this way now because it has been this way for a long time; however, in the past it was clearly an opportunity for someone who will remain nameless to do his best to stack the deck for certain teams or against others. I'm not close to the only one that will say this either. Not bringing this up to drag old mud, but just make it clear there is nothing positive to gain from not setting a rotation that removes all doubt about integrity. Furthermore, folks that will need to ask off work or make travel plans can do so as soon as their teams position is determined. Are we doing things like this to be right or get it right??

It is my understanding that state and regional tournaments this year will all be pool play. I assume a pool will contain two champions and two runner ups. For example, if they put the champs from Area I and Area IV in one pool then the other 2 teams in that pool would be the Area II and Area III runner ups. That means every team in the round robin pool play will end up playing one game against a team from the other 3 areas.

In the pool format the fortune or misfortune of a favorable or not so favorable first game match up seems to me to be much less of a factor than in the double elimination format. If the two strongest Area champions end in the same pool they both still have an excellent chance of advancing assuming they play up to their capabilities.

Last edited:
It is my opinion that it should be played with Pool A winner playing Pool B winner just like the College World Series which also consists of 8 teams in which two teams from the same pool cannot play for the tournament championship. This is really not a big deal unless people are looking to fight for runner-up trophies. Maybe I shouldn't admit this, but I came as close as you possible can to spiking our state runner-up trophy against the wall of the dugout. Not a proud moment to get so close to doing that, but to win these tournaments you have to beat everyone or at least the winners of other pool\games. Survive and advance is the name of the game, the only ones that complain about running into a teams best pitcher creating an unfavorable match-up is the team that lost. The 4 finalist pool option gives a potential team at 1-2 to make the semi-finals and how you choose between two teams that are 1-2 gets a bit weird. I'm a fan of pool play for what it's worth. Takes guessing and the ability for mistakes out of the equation for how the tournament will go. All games for the tournament have set times and the first three have set opponents. I see the double elimination, 4-finalist pool play, and Pool winners versus each other for the championship as good, better, best scenario, but not a huge deal as I see it. Reference previous statement that you have to beat everyone to win these things, format among these options provide clarity around schedule or make it more wait and see who you will play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT