ADVERTISEMENT

American Legion Baseball 2018 NCAL Sr. StateTournament Schedule

I was going to ask about that. Shelby hasn't been shut out all year.
It was reported that High Point pulled Landon Smith after 80 pitches so that he could be available if they make it to the championship. I thought the limit to be able to come back after 3 days rest was 75 pitches....like high school. Is it 80?

It was reported that High Point pulled Landon Smith after 80 pitches so that he could be available if they make it to the championship. I thought the limit to be able to come back after 3 days rest was 75 pitches....like high school. Is it 80?
From Legion website:

1-30 pitches: 0 days

31-45 pitches: 1 day

46-60 pitches: 2 days

61-80 pitches: 3 days

81+ pitches: 4 days

Pitchers may only make two appearances in any three consecutive days. Players will be charged with two appearances if they leave the pitching position and return as a pitcher in the same game.

From Legion website:

1-30 pitches: 0 days

31-45 pitches: 1 day

46-60 pitches: 2 days

61-80 pitches: 3 days

81+ pitches: 4 days

Pitchers may only make two appearances in any three consecutive days. Players will be charged with two appearances if they leave the pitching position and return as a pitcher in the same game.
Tks.

After two days of State Tourney Play:

Stars Pool Standings

Shelby 1-1
Garner 1-1
Wilmington 1-1
High Point 1-1

Stripes Pool Standings
Pitt County 2-0
Rowan County 1-1
Whiteville 1-1
Caldwell Co 0-2

In the Stars Pool the winners of tomorrow's games (Shelby/Garner and Wilmington/High Point) will finish Pool Play with 2-1 records and advance to the semi-finals. Tie breaker criteria then will determine who is the champion and runner up in the Stars Pool.

In the Stripes Pool the winner of tomorrow's game between Rowan County and Whiteville will advance to the semi-finals along with Pitt County. If Pitt County wins tomorrow's game vs. Caldwell County they will be the Stripes Pool champion. If they lose then the tie breaker criteria will be used to determine the winner and runner up between Pitt County and the Rowan County/Whiteville winner.

Last edited:
Landon can bring it...

Ought to know he played for me better part of three years...

Lot of heart in not so large frame. Thanks for info and let me know if/when they are thinking about throwing him again. Might have to take that one in.

Has Pitt not already won the Stripes Pool? They are 2-0 vs Rowan and Wilmington which means they would have the tie breaker over both? Or is there some crazy tie breaker rule that I don't know about being used??

Reactions: mactazheels
Has Pitt not already won the Stripes Pool? They are 2-0 vs Rowan and Wilmington which means they would have the tie breaker over both? Or is there some crazy tie breaker rule that I don't know about being used??
I don't know what the tie breaker rules are...they purposely are sort of secretive on that for some reason. However, I agree with you the first tie breaker SHOULD be head to head which would mean Pitt should be the winner since they beat both Rowan and Whiteville. However, with some of the strange things going in this tournament (playing games at multiple sites, selling tournament passes for all games for $44 when it was only possible to attend 9 of the 15 games, no concessions available at the UNCG site, etc., I wouldn't assume anything.

Reactions: Eagles/Trojans13
I feel like you get the better, complete team who has the most pitching depth in Pool Play. Even the best team can have a bad game and be put in the losers bracket early in a double elimination. You can have a bad game in Pool Play and most of the time it won't hurt you. Also, the world series is pool play format. It can prepare a team for that as well.

Double elimination is more taxing on pitching just by the potential number of games which equals potentially more innings. You can't play more than 5 games in this pool play structure, where you can play six games in double elimination. Strategy is a little different under the pool play structure that Legion is utilizing. If you win day 1 & 2, it puts you at a distinct advantage. It's kinda like a 2 out of 3 the first 3 days and then single elimination thereafter is the way I see it. Double elimination requires you to win 3 straight to have a choice for strategy or the feeling of a day that is not very important in day 4.

Double elimination is more taxing on pitching just by the potential number of games which equals potentially more innings. You can't play more than 5 games in this pool play structure, where you can play six games in double elimination. Strategy is a little different under the pool play structure that Legion is utilizing. If you win day 1 & 2, it puts you at a distinct advantage. It's kinda like a 2 out of 3 the first 3 days and then single elimination thereafter is the way I see it. Double elimination requires you to win 3 straight to have a choice for strategy or the feeling of a day that is not very important in day 4.
dont like pool . main reason is that 3 teams in a pool can have same record, one change to double elimination they need to make is give the 3-0 team day 4 off.

dont like pool . main reason is that 3 teams in a pool can have same record, one change to double elimination they need to make is give the 3-0 team day 4 off.

I do agree with that part of double elimination. That meaningless game for that undefeated team is stupid. Three teams having the same record in Pool Play doesn't happen that often.

I do agree with that part of double elimination. That meaningless game for that undefeated team is stupid. Three teams having the same record in Pool Play doesn't happen that often.
1-2 team in pool play won the world series last year. the Caldwell -Pitt game was meaningless this year.

1-2 team in pool play won the world series last year. the Caldwell -Pitt game was meaningless this year.
3 out of 5 series would be the best format , series wouldn't be any longer than the state tournament. area 3 vs area 4 and area 1 vs area 2 series would be played when the area finals are played now. would need to start playoffs a week sooner or have one less round in area playoffs.

Shelby 4
Rowan 3

Shelby vs. Wilmington today at 4pm.

Will add that it is currently raining and suppose to rain on and off all day.

Reactions: thekidd12
With the torrential rains last night around Thomasville and the Triad, I'm shocked the second game was played. What time did the game start and end ? Thanks in advance for any responses.

You're right. I get it. There are pros and cons to both formats. I just like pool play better.
BleedBurnsBlue you have to give the poster credit. He really cares about Legion baseball. Only posts are concerning this sport.

While I hardly ever agree with, or fully understand, everything he/she says I think his point on 3 out of 5 series is valid.

After coaching in many tournaments that utilized pool play, I can honestly say my teams came out often on top simply from knowing how to work tiebreakers and not necessarily because we were the better team. It often came down to knowing how to work the system.

I hate it as well when a team with a worse record sometimes, not always, only has to beat an unbeaten team once for championship.

I agree that series play is best. I just don't think that is feasible.
3 out 5 series could be played when the state tournament is played ,now area 4 vs 3 and area 1 vs 2 series could be played when the area finals are played, . if they had only 8 playoffs teams in each area they could play 5 rounds. in 2019 , they could start series on June 26, July 3, July 10, July 17, and July 23, that would aloud 7 days for each series for weather. would have more than 7 days for state finals, regional dont start Aug 7, 2019 if more than 8 teams are in playoff in a area first round would need to be over June 25

Reactions: GSO-Triple5
It's not just dates. Travel would be a huge deal with a lot of teams. It's easier and more efficient to bring in a group of teams to play a tournament. I agree though, playing a series is better.

travel would only be a issue in the state finals. compared to travel and motel expenses to play a tournament out of you area. state finals would need to be a 2-3 format, teams would have gate money at home games to help with travel. one year to play the area 4 champion a 7 games series , it was closer to play the area 4 champion than to play the team we played in the area 3 finals

Last edited:
BleedBurnsBlue you have to give the poster credit. He really cares about Legion baseball. Only posts are concerning this sport.

While I hardly ever agree with, or fully understand, everything he/she says I think his point on 3 out of 5 series is valid.

After coaching in many tournaments that utilized pool play, I can honestly say my teams came out often on top simply from knowing how to work tiebreakers and not necessarily because we were the better team. It often came down to knowing how to work the system.

I hate it as well when a team with a worse record sometimes, not always, only has to beat an unbeaten team once for championship.
dont like pool either. semi final and final is single elimination

While I do prefer pool play, I think something like the College World Series is better. Two 4 team, double elimination tournaments. The winners of each play a best 2 out of 3 series. I could jump on board with that.

While I do prefer pool play, I think something like the College World Series is better. Two 4 team, double elimination tournaments. The winners of each play a best 2 out of 3 series. I could jump on board with that.
I think this would be an excellent way to determine any baseball championship involving at least 8 teams.

each pool plays double elimination tournament until one team is 2-0 , one team is 2-1 in each pool . 2-1 in pool A must beat the 2-0 in pool B twice. 2-1 in pool B must beat the 2-0 in pool A twice , then winners play 2 out 3 , 2 teams in the same pool could play in finals,

one year when a area played a 16 team double elimination tournament. 5-1 team had to beat 4-0 twice to win the area , but both teams went to state, 4-0 team got 2 days off, it would eliminate the issue of Cherryville not getting in this year. it would only work if a area has 16 teams. would work with 8 playoff teams but 3-0 team would have to get a bye on day 4. wouldnt work if you want to have all area team in playoffs

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT