Pool B(Stripes)
Pitt County, Whiteville, Rowan County, Area IV #2
Thurs July 26

4pm Garner 1 Wilmington 2 (8 innings)
7pm High Point 5 Shelby 0
4pm Whiteville 6 Pitt County 11
7pm Caldwell County 2 Rowan County 6
Friday July 27
4pm Whiteville vsCaldwell County(Finch Field)
7pm Pitt County vs Rowan County(Finch Field)
4pm High Point vs Garner(UNCG)
7pm Wilmington vs Shelby(UNCG)
Sat. July 28
4pm Garner vs Shelby(Finch Field)
7pm High Point vs Wilmington(Finch Field)
4pm Rowan County vs Whiteville(UNCG)
7pm Caldwell County vs Pitt County(UNCG)
Sunday July 29
4pm semi-final #1(Finch Field)
7pm semi-final #2(Finch Field)
Monday July 30
4pm Championship game(Finch Field)

Last edited:
Reactions: GSO-Triple5
STARS W L STRIPES W L
GARNER 0 0 PITT COUNTY 0 0
WILMINGTON 0 0 WHITEVILLE 0 0
HIGH POINT 0 0 ROWAN COUNTY 0 0
AREA IV #1 0 0 AREA IV #2 0 0

The Stars bracket is going to be loaded with Garner and Wilmington already in. They will be adding Shelby or Caldwell too. High Point isn't your typical host team either. They were very close to qualifying regardless of being the host team.

updated :
$12 day pass through semifinals.
$8 for championship game.
$40 for full tournament pass.

Last edited:
Heard today that if Shelby and Caldwell can't play tonight, Shelby is the 1 and Caldwell is the 2. Not sure how accurate that is. I can say that it is pouring in Shelby right now so it looks like it may be a tough go tonight.

Reactions: Hon Dines
Found out that they will not allow video this year. In the past KTC Broadcasting has live streamed the games they were covering. Told it was not allowed this year, but radio still is.

Everybody charging for everything. I sure will be glad when lint becomes our currency because that is all I am gonna have in my pocket.

Speaking of money, for the State Tournament this year you can a buy a full tournament ticket for $40 but it's only possible to see only 9 of the 15 games since they are playing at two different sites for the first 3 days with the same start times. What makes it even worse is that games are scheduled at locations the first 3 days such that you can't see both teams from the same area play on the same day unless you travel between sites and see only part of one game. It's almost like they intentionally made it fan unfriendly.

I know some fans who go to the State Tournament every year and watch every game who are upset. Most fans who attend want to at least see all the games of both teams from their area.

Historical Finch Field is a great place to host the State Tournament. Why in the world did they make the decision not to play all games there? It makes absolutely no sense to me. Maybe someone can clue me in.

Speaking of money, for the State Tournament this year you can a buy a full tournament ticket for $40 but it's only possible to see only 9 of the 15 games since they are playing at two different sites for the first 3 days with the same start times. What makes it even worse is that games are scheduled at locations the first 3 days such that you can't see both teams from the same area play on the same day unless you travel between sites and see only part of one game. It's almost like they intentionally made it fan unfriendly.

I know some fans who go to the State Tournament every year and watch every game who are upset. Most fans who attend want to at least see all the games of both teams from their area.

Historical Finch Field is a great place to host the State Tournament. Why in the world did they make the decision not to play all games there? It makes absolutely no sense to me. Maybe someone can clue me in.
Going to Pool Play, each team playing 3 games in 3 days makes it almost impossible for all the games to be played on 1 field. Possibly could do 10,1,4,7 games but any type of delay(weather or time) would make it a disaster to reschedule

Going to Pool Play, each team playing 3 games in 3 days makes it almost impossible for all the games to be played on 1 field. Possibly could do 10,1,4,7 games but any type of delay(weather or time) would make it a disaster to reschedule

Are you kidding me? The AL World Series in Shelby has been doing it at one field for years. Pool play has nothing to do with it. There are certainly ways to do it. You could play 4 games on three days scheduled at 4 different times (like you have seen for years for the first two days of the double elimination state tournament). Or you could also play the tournament over 6 days rather than 5. It's even a bigger rip off if the tournament pass is $44. A tournament pass for ALWS is Shelby is only $35 and the schedule allows you to attend every game.

As an Area IV fan I can not see both Shelby and Caldwell County's first games because they are scheduled at the exact same time on Thursday at different locations. That's ridiculous. I like pool play but if the state tournament directors are actually going to use it as an excuse for this type scheduling then I am going to hate it.

Reactions: smashmouth5
Are you kidding me? The AL World Series in Shelby has been doing it at one field for years. Pool play has nothing to do with it. There are certainly ways to do it. You could play 4 games on three days scheduled at 4 different times (like you have seen for years for the first two days of the double elimination state tournament). Or you could also play the tournament over 6 days rather than 5. It's even a bigger rip off if the tournament pass is $44. A tournament pass for ALWS is Shelby is only $35 and the schedule allows you to attend every game.

As an Area IV fan I can not see both Shelby and Caldwell County's first games because they are scheduled at the exact same time on Thursday at different locations. That's ridiculous. I like pool play but if the state tournament directors are actually going to use it as an excuse for this type scheduling then I am going to hate it.

You have laid out a very valid downside to the new format and I understand your frustration. I believe 3 games per day at one location is better. 4 games per day at one location is a struggle for all. My opinion is this decision was made to protect players by not having games going in the middle of the day with extreme heat index. Safety for players has been a huge concern in the past due to high temps. This is the only case from my perspective for 7 inning games; otherwise, I despise them. Like it or not, it's not likely to change.

I'm sure gate is a theoretical benefit; however, it would never offset the extra field expense and added strain on volunteers and\or paid staffing. Contrary to most opinions, the vast percentage of state tournament hosts will do well to break even. A few of the high draw areas within the state can host and turn a profit, but those are by far the minority. If the decision was made because of heat concerns, I support it as a past coach who has dealt with kids falling out due to heat exhaustion.

You have laid out a very valid downside to the new format and I understand your frustration. I believe 3 games per day at one location is better. 4 games per day at one location is a struggle for all. My opinion is this decision was made to protect players by not having games going in the middle of the day with extreme heat index. Safety for players has been a huge concern in the past due to high temps. This is the only case from my perspective for 7 inning games; otherwise, I despise them. Like it or not, it's not likely to change.

I'm sure gate is a theoretical benefit; however, it would never offset the extra field expense and added strain on volunteers and\or paid staffing. Contrary to most opinions, the vast percentage of state tournament hosts will do well to break even. A few of the high draw areas within the state can host and turn a profit, but those are by far the minority. If the decision was made because of heat concerns, I support it as a past coach who has dealt with kids falling out due to heat exhaustion.

I appreciate your prospective Post 36. I was not aware that American Legion officials were that concerned about protecting players from the heat by not having games going in the middle of the day. I'm all about doing what is best for the players. However, one of the great things about American Legion baseball is the fan support from the local communities. It's obvious the fans were not considered at all. I wonder if the scheduling decision come down directly from the top or was the Tournament Director's. It was a good decision 20 years ago to begin holding the state tournament at a single site....lots of pros, not many cons. Going to a multi-site scheduling eliminates some of the pros. By the way, I hate the 7 inning games as well.

Link, just know I'm giving my opinion based on knowing the environment for many years. Historically, the bid package is submitted by the potential hosts, and the legion officials accept it as is or talk through potential concerns. I imagine this years package was accepted as it was submitted. I'm out of the loop for the last 3 years so I'm speculating, but willing to bet I'm very close to how it happened. Use your voice to relay to the appropriate folks to seek change for next year. It might change without your input, but most of them listen to reasonable feedback which makes your perspective important and valuable.

Who are the appropriate folks? A fan who attends the State Tournament every year and watches every game called the State Commissioner last week and was hung up on when he expressed his concerns. Based on that, I don't think my feedback would be taken as constructive criticism via a phone call to him. Is there an e-mail I could send information to or someone I could speak to who would actually listen.

Reactions: Hon Dines
Who are the appropriate folks? A fan who attends the State Tournament every year and watches every game called the State Commissioner last week and was hung up on when he expressed his concerns. Based on that, I don't think my feedback would be taken as constructive criticism via a phone call to him. Is there an e-mail I could send information to or someone I could speak to who would actually listen.

I'm for defending what is right. If the conversation you mentioned was handled in a professional manner and still ended with being hung up on, then I would contact the next level above which is the State Commander. I don't know the current Baseball Committee Director so I can't say if that is a normal response, a bad day, or ultra rare. The best option for you is to talk to Rick Ziggafoose who is the Area II Commissioner. He has a demeanor to talk with anyone who wants to respectfully talk through concerns or options to make things better. He will be at the state tournament and knowing him, he will be available between games to talk. If you want to email him instead or plan a time to talk with him, you can email him. If you need anything else to help point you in the right direction, email me. I'll private message the email addresses to you. (Couldn't figure out the PM on here. Email me at cloflinnc@gmail.com & I'll send you Rick's email address.)

The reason I dont like pool play 3 teams can have same record. , 2-1 or 1-2 . I like the format they use 20 years ,ago. area 4 champion played a series against area 3 champion and area 1 played area 2 , 2 winner played a series. the reason I liked that format more fans can see home team play. Games were played each teams home field. Home team got gate money instead of a host team(split money if odd number of games), . state finals was 2-3-2 format

The reason I dont like pool play 3 teams can have same record. , 2-1 or 1-2 . I like the format they use 20 years ,ago. area 4 champion played a series against area 3 champion and area 1 played area 2 , 2 winner played a series. the reason I liked that format more fans can see home team play. Games were played each teams home field. Home team got gate money instead of a host team(split money if odd number of games), . state finals was 2-3-2 format

I loved 7 game series to decide it all also. That's how it was when I played. Summer is too short now so that's not coming back unless the school year shrinks or more importantly, the spring high school season gets shorter. Don't see either happening so we will have to talk about how it used to be. Play some "Glory Days" and reminish! Everyone played better than their stats as we get older also right.

in the 70's and 80's I wouldnt have been able to go the state tournament (I was at work to 5:30pm ) but I went to
home games of a 7 game series at 7:00pm In other words, a 7 game series is more fan friendly

Last edited:
Today's Scores:
Wilmington 2 Garner 1
Pitt County 11 Whiteville 6
High Point 5 Shelby 0
Rowan County leads Caldwell County 6-2 in the 6th inning.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT