ADVERTISEMENT

2017 BIG SOUTH

KM2ASU

May 21, 2007
After years of re-alignment, where teams had Non-Conference scheduling issues, and then top/bottom heavy conference play, the 2017 version of the Big South should be giving fans their money's worth.

4 teams sitting undefeated in conference play.....all play each other this week, then flip around and play each other next week, and in 2 weeks after that flip around and play each other to end the regular season.

Like I said early in the season, I see all kinds of scenarios....One team could win out, or all 4 could beat up on each other until the end.....the scenario that doesn't end up well for one or two teams, is a possible tie, then being seeded as an At Large by (whatever method), and possibly having to match up with a Big South team in the first round.

No Predictions....just saying as far as....Huss, KM, Crest, and Ashbrook....I think all can and will play better, and I think injuries are factoring in with all four....

Whoever makes the play-offs out of the Big South will be battle tested this year.

Last edited:
I'm still not sold on Ashbrook. If they play against a good run defense, they're doomed. They can't throw the ball consistently enough. And their defense can give up some points.

I like KM and Huss. They can pose a lot of matchup problems on both sides of the ball.

I don't know enough about Crest this year. Seems like they are offensively challenged again.

FV, SC, NG, and Burns are not lay-ups either. All of them can present a problem that if you don't take care of it, it could bite you in the butt.

Week in and week out, a pretty good slate of games.

Reactions: smashmouth5
This conference is right up there with the Southern Carolinas 3A and Havelock's conference as one of the toughest in the state

I agree with all the above statements. It's glaringly obvious that taking "The Mighty Red Raiders" out of the conference made it instantly competitive. :)

Reactions: KM2ASU
Way better than the Rutherfordton and Burke County schools.
I enjoyed traveling to RUTHERFORD and BURKE COUNTY FOR GAMES especially BURKE COUNTY theirs fans where really friendly and both EAST BURKE and DRAUGHN HAD VERY NICE STAUDIMS. but the shorter drive to BIG SOUTH GAMES is not all bad.

Mountie, my comment was based on competitiveness only. Rarely did any of the schools in Rutherford or Burke give us any cause for concern.

Mountie, my comment was based on competitiveness only. Rarely did any of the schools in Rutherford or Burke give us any cause for concern.
I agree and I understood about your meaning of the level of play IN THE SMAC, the BIG SOUTH from top to bottom is must more competitive.

East Burke doesn’t deserve that stadium. Haven’t been to Draughn so I can’t comment.

Much nicer for Crest to have games where I don't have to casually check in to see how much they are winning by. That stretch of Burke and Rutherford County games were blowouts waiting to happen.

Reactions: coondog8585
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT