ADVERTISEMENT

2014 NCPreps.com 1A All-State Football Team

This is a solid group Deana, good job as usual. Having seen both I would have Jordan Cody of Swain over Cruz Galaviz at defensive back though. Not that Cruz is undeserving of an all state honor, I just think he should've made the team as an athlete and not at an individual position.

Cruz's impact is felt by his ability to be a key contributor in all three phases of the game. I saw bigger standouts at individual positions this season but not that many who had the overall impact on the game that Galaviz had.

Swain fans should feel really excited to have Cody back for another season. He's just a flat out stud and the biggest reason Swain was able to compete as well as they were in a clear down year. I expect big things out of him in 2015 and even though there isn't an official SMC POY award, Cody will probably that in everyone's mind at the end of the season.

This post was edited on 1/14 11:53 AM by mbdfan

A very talented list when a 2-time conference Defensive Player of the Year (Lichtenberger kid from ES) doesn't make the team. Congrats to the recipients on the honor!

This post was edited on 1/12 3:10 PM by NWWatchdog

How about putting him in over wiley instead..as Cody and Galaviz had a much better year in every way?

Originally posted by knight2014:
How about putting him in over wiley instead..as Cody and Galaviz had a much better year in every way?
No... Galaviz is the better offensive player but definitely not a better defensive back or all around athlete than Wiley, who had a big year at safety and as a kick/punt returner.

The only reason Wiley's numbers weren't better on offense is because Murphy did a poor job getting him the ball, he made plays every time the ball was in his hands. The most underutilized player in the last 15 years at Murphy.

This post was edited on 1/12 12:39 PM by mbdfan

I love how fans assume coaches don't thoroughly assess who gets the ball when, how often, and in what capacity. On top of that, take into consideration what combos of personnel it takes to make that happen, game situations, that player's health or development of ability in certain circumstances, what you gain and lose by moving him from a position to another, how it compliments your scheme or makes you vulnerable to being keyed. It's a little more complicated than subbing on Madden.

Originally posted by moped master:
I love how fans assume coaches don't thoroughly assess who gets the ball when, how often, and in what capacity. On top of that, take into consideration what combos of personnel it takes to make that happen, game situations, that player's health or development of ability in certain circumstances, what you gain and lose by moving him from a position to another, how it compliments your scheme or makes you vulnerable to being keyed
I'm aware of all of that, I didn't mean it as a dig at the staff but I can see how it was percieved that way. No need for the "a little more complicated than subbing in Madden" rhetoric.

It's possible to have a differing viewpoint on the involvement of a player and in what capacity. Doesn't necessarily make anyone right or wrong, does it?

Congratulations to everyone that made this list. Obviously I have not saw all of them play, but if there are 5 better offensive lineman in 1A than Avery Hash from Alleghany, they must be some really good o linemen.

Originally posted by Delendo:
Cody Garner and Adrian Whack from Princeton. Best LB duo in 1A.
Having two really good players at one position often hurts on these types of teams as the votes get spread out.

Originally posted by mbdfan:
Originally posted by moped master:
I love how fans assume coaches don't thoroughly assess who gets the ball when, how often, and in what capacity. On top of that, take into consideration what combos of personnel it takes to make that happen, game situations, that player's health or development of ability in certain circumstances, what you gain and lose by moving him from a position to another, how it compliments your scheme or makes you vulnerable to being keyed
I'm aware of all of that, I didn't mean it as a dig at the staff but I can see how it was percieved that way. No need for the "a little more complicated than subbing in Madden" rhetoric.

It's possible to have a differing viewpoint on the involvement of a player and in what capacity. Doesn't necessarily make anyone right or wrong, does it?
You've got freedom of speech, so by all means say it how you see it.

But see it this way...If I visit a doctor's office once a week, would I walk out with enough medical knowledge to publicly criticize the doc's decisions?

Originally posted by BlackCat93:
And just exactly what is your logic for reasoning for All-Around Athlete MBDfan?
He was a standout defensive back, an elite kick and punt returner, a serious big play threat at wide receiver and a great track athlete. Ty would be good at any sporting endeavor he pursued. He's a physical specimen, a truly exceptional athlete.

This post was edited on 1/14 8:48 AM by mbdfan

There are many arguments that can be made with these lists and im sure lots of good athletes were left off. One being Malik Webb from Plymouth. Probably the best athlete we faced all season. I too, agree, that TW was very under utilized. However, IMHO, I thought Cody would be on the list, and deserves to be there. Both great players, I thought JC was more valuable to his team both ways than TW. As for the track logic, In comparison with Cruz, two different styles. TW is made for track with his long strides and all. And that really doesn't matter when it comes to a football award. All this being said, congrats to all the members on the list, and best of luck at the next level!

This is a great team! We can all make arguments about who was left off, but I'm looking at who was chosen, and it is one heck of a squad! I would love to have them all. Congrats to all the young men who laid it on the line this year and achieved this honor, and thanks to Deana and staff for continuing to support high school football in this state.

This post was edited on 1/16 3:19 PM by 1of4horsemen

This post was edited on 1/16 3:21 PM by 1of4horsemen

Originally posted by moped masterBut see it this way...If I visit a doctor's office once a week, would I walk out with enough medical knowledge to publicly criticize the doc's decisions?
Fair enough. The flip side of that is even those with PHD's can be wrong or make a mistake. I simply feel Ty should've gotten more touches on offense, nothing personal intended.

This post was edited on 1/14 11:58 AM by mbdfan

Great job in putting together an outstanding team. Congratulations to the young men who worked hard and received this honor. They are all deserving. Congratulations to Gabe Ellis and Pedro Sustaita from WM. It has truly been an outstanding year.

LOL!!! Cruz Galiviz dominated the SMC and playoffs this year. He had over 2,000 yards rushing, 30 plus TD's on offense (wiley?) and 90 plus tackles on defense (wiley?). mbd said"I saw bigger standouts at individuals postions" lol...he had over 300 yards rushing in the first game against murphy and was a big time player on the defense that stopped murphys high scoring offense (miss those games?). If there is a player in the state that deserves the awards that are still coming his way...its Cruz Galiviz! Its silly and sour grapes in the highest degree for a murphy fan to criticize his awards and accomplisments after one of the best seasons in conference history...climaxed by his team going 16-0 and winning a state championship...with him leading the way!!!

Thought I would post his stats in the two murphy wins.

Game 1
3 Cruz Galaviz (Sr) 34 carries 330 yards 9.7 ypc 83 longest 3 td's
3 Cruz Galaviz (Sr) 7 solo tackles 2 assists 9 total tackles
Game 2
3 Cruz Galaviz (Sr) 17 carries 51 yards 3.0 ypc
3 Cruz Galaviz (Sr) 8 solo 3 assists 11 total tackles

This post was edited on 1/14 1:00 PM by knight2014

LOL!!! Cruz Galiviz dominated the SMC and playoffs this year. He had over 2,000 yards rushing, 30 plus TD's on offense (wiley?) and 90 plus tackles on defense (wiley?). mbd said"I saw bigger standouts at individuals postions" lol...he had over 300 yards rushing in the first game against murphy and was a big time player on the defense that stopped murphys high scoring offense (miss those games?). If there is a player in the state that deserves the awards that are still coming his way...its Cruz Galiviz! Its silly and sour grapes in the highest degree for a murphy fan to criticize his awards and accomplisments after one of the best seasons in conference history...climaxed by his team going 16-0 and winning a state championship...with him leading the way!!!

Thought I would post his stats in the two murphy wins.

Game 1
3 Cruz Galaviz (Sr) 34 carries 330 yards 9.7 ypc 83 longest 3 td's
3 Cruz Galaviz (Sr) 7 solo tackles 2 assists 9 total tackles
Game 2
3 Cruz Galaviz (Sr) 17 carries 51 yards 3.0 ypc
3 Cruz Galaviz (Sr) 8 solo 3 assists 11 total tackles

This post was edited on 1/14 1:00 PM by knight2014
IMO he deserves all he gets and more.

Its silly and sour grapes in the highest degree for a murphy fan to criticize his awards and accomplisments
Nobody criticized anything about his accomplishments or his season. I said he was one of the best all around players Murphy saw this season. The best one just happened to be a different player on the same team (Matheson). So quit picking out parts of my post to make a strawman argument to feel "slighted".

Just because I don't think Cruz was the best running back or the best defensive back Murphy saw doesn't mean I don't think he was an exceptional all around player who was fully deserving of all state. I said I thought he should be on the team but as an athlete, not at an individual position. Quit crying and trying to make something out of nothing.

This post was edited on 1/14 4:06 PM by mbdfan

State Title game on sale at the high school.
Also the entire season is on dvd for sale for $30 buck. MBD do you want me to mail you a copy. lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT