ADVERTISEMENT

#2 SW Edgecombe 10-1 vs #15 East Bladen 5-5

SWE'98

Aug 17, 2010
The playoffs are finally upon us!
In 2015, SWE hosted EB in the second round. EB opened the game with a kickoff return for a TD, but from there it was all SWE as they cruised to a 40-20 victory. Today's matchup, again hosted by SWE, features a more powerful version of the Cougars, while the visiting Eagles come to town with a worst record than before, but are playing their best football at the right time.
The Eagles started off 0-3, but those three teams, Clinton, Wallace Rose-Hill, and Whiteville, could have made anyone 0-3. They are 5-2 since then, and have done it by running the rock. They boast a 1,300 yard rusher and a 500 yard rusher. Their detriment, however, comes from a lack of a passing attack. For the season, they are 7 of 27 for 125 yards passing. That's not gonna cut it against the run defense strength of the Cougars. Neither is having one day to prepare for SWE's own rushing attack taken away. Even though EB runs a variation of the wishbone, SWE runs it to perfection. Two 1,000 yard rushers sprint from the backfield that gains 300 ypg, while a total of 6 different backs have 25 or more carries. And for the second year in a row, SWE has gained more than 1,000 yards through the air. EB will have its hands full. Initially, I was worried. But after digging deeper, I'm confident that it may not be close.
In-game updates as usual.

Saw a couple of EB posters here. Let me know if you'll be in the place!

EB ball at 25. Nice drive going. Clearly ball control is the name of the game, as they finally turn the ball over on downs at the SW 40 with only 5 minutes left in the opening quarter.

33 yard pass to Porter to the 2. They really are playing single coverage on him with an undersized CB.
2yard td run by bruising back Jones. 7-0 SWE.

Kickoff, EB ball at own 5. Few plays, quarter ends.
SWE 14
East Bladen 0

The Eagles are getting chunks of yardage per carry and have ran the ball all the way to the SWE 20. 4th and 4.

East Bladen just ran the ball 95 yards down the field for the TD. Same two plays over and over again.
14-7

EB ball at 20. They pass on 4th down, incomplete. SWE ball at own 43.

Jones 30 yard run. From Wildcat, WR Porter 15 yard run and 5 yard td run. Bad snap. 27-7

SWE defense has to be gassed. EB is playing keep away, and truly are driving the ball. Meanwhile, the Cougars have had drives of 5 plays, 1 play, 3 plays, and 4 plays, scoring each time. The defense cant rest. I'm sure EB will break a big run in the second half. Like I said, they are already getting about 5 yards per carry most of the time. But we are stopping them when it matters.

EB tries onside, fails. SWE ball at EB 43. 4 plays, 18 yard td run. 34-7.

Downs. SWE ball at own 20. WR Porter at QB again. Passes off target. End of 3rd.
34-7

Downs. SWE ball at own 20. WR Porter at QB again. Passes off target. End of 3rd.
34-7

EB ball at own 40. Finally, a 3 and out. Fake punt failed, SWE ball at 50.

EB ball at 35.
Drives, and with 1 second left, ball on the 1, they call a time out. Score.
48-13

SWE 14 13 7 14 = 48
EB 0 7 0 6 = 13

NEXT UP...WHITEVILLE????

I actually made this game, but my left my phone at home. EB played solid on offense. Our inside linebackers were over running that b gap dive/iso all night. Duff made a good adjustment bringing in another d lineman to stop that cut back they were hitting us with. SW was sharpe on offense tonight, aided by alot of poor tackling by EB, and I mean alot of poor tackling.
I think Cobb is on the verge of changing the SW offense, I'm probably wrong but it wouldn't surprise me if we ran a spread style offense in the coming year or two. We're already not running a true wishbone offense.

That cutback was getting on my nerves. That's all their big boy was doing, and it was killing us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT