ADVERTISEMENT

#2 Mitchell (12-1) @ #1 East Surry (13-0)

I don't think our taxes should be used for instant replay for high school football...

High school football doesn't need replay. People just need to realize a referees perception is different on the field and bang bang calls sometimes are going to go either way.

I think it's ridiculous the state recommends football officials having walkies but not soccer officials as well.

Last edited:
I think it’s time for everyone to move on. There were huge missed calls that went against both sides. Neither team played their absolute best, yet both teams busted their butts and left it all out on the field. It was an exciting game to watch and both teams need to be commended. Congrats to Mitchell on a great season. Congrats to East on another Western Regional Championship. We all know Tarboro is a different animal - they are good enough that they would probably win whether at the 1AA, 2A, or 2AA level...they probably could legitimately compete at the 3A level. Everyone knows East will have their work cut out for them next weekend. They will probably get beat again, but maybe just maybe they can play a near perfect game and keep it close. Regardless of what happens, I’ll be pulling for East to bring the title back to the West.
There are good teams at every level. When it comes down to it Tarboro and East Surry are trying to win 1aa. Watch a Weddington game and you will see a major difference at 3a level.

TBH Mitchell played a heck of a game and had chances. Mitchell had so liltte room for error in this game. Watching the game..you got the sense that East Surry could score at anytime and from anywhere on the field. The qb was never ever under duress at any time. Some of the Mitchell fans left when ES went up by 14 because even they sensed the game was over. The refs may have missed the call..but if ES had to do it over again..those coaches would never play as conservative as they did that last possession. ES could have easily as they did all game..chunk it 40 or 50 yrds down the field to their receivers who had egregoiusly beat Mitchells secondary to a bloody pulp all night to seriously put the game out of reach. It was silly that they didnt. Then we avoid all this " the ref cost us the game talk."...Just my take. Mitchell was lucky the coach from ES decided to call some boneheaded run plays to give Mitchell another chance. Mitchell had a great team...but you guys know that if ES plays non conservative that last possession..then it would have been a wrap for you guys. I guess they trusted their defense...its kind of silly with an offense like East Surry's this year..that they would leave it in their defenses hand....It wasnt that great against Mitchell TBH..

Reactions: ESODcards
There are good teams at every level. When it comes down to it Tarboro and East Surry are trying to win 1aa. Watch a Weddington game and you will see a major difference at 3a level.
I hate this comparison ! Of course you will see a difference. It’s more numbers with higher possibility to have more and better athletes. But that’s why you have 4 Classifications. A school with 1400 students compared to a school with 500 !! A school pulling from a population of 150,000 compared to a school pulling from a population of 30,000 !!

Drop what? It was an amazing game. Styles make fights and it certainly did. Mitchell with those heavy blows to the body have a debilitating effect over the course of the fight...East Surry with those one hitter quitters that keep ya off balance and on ya heels all night. Then lights out!!

I said 3A not 3AA. Weddington is a different animal - they are obliterating the 3AA competition.

Just thank God 7 wasn’t able to run and play safety. Thank God for a blind referee and pray you can stay within 3 scores of tarboro.
Wonder if that ref was the same blind ref that gave Mitchell a first down when the ball was half a foot short of the stick on 4th down extending a scoring drive.

I would say its pitiful we were even in a game with all those top prospect players from East, 2 Carolina, 2 State, and a couple of Auburn commits is what a guy from East told me last night, he also said East worked all week on stopping the run and still couldn't limit a junior and a sophomore running back from Mitchell to less than 5 yds a carry? Good luck y'all are gonna need it
His facts were a little off but close 3 to UNC 1 to NC State and 2 underclassmen not committed but have ACC/SEC offers

Is this the same blind referee that gave Mitchell a 1st down in the 2nd quarter (that led to a TD) when the ball was CLEARLY short of the marker on a 4th down?

OR is this the same referee that missed the obvious block in the back on the final drive on a 3rd down, in which Mitchell got an PI call to get them a first down instead?

I just want to make sure it’s the same blind referee or a different one? Also, #13 was not at full speed last night since he had been out since Wednesday with the Flu and #12 was dealing with a sprained ankle from practice this week. Just wanted to let everyone know that since Mitchell has told us #7 was no where near 100% and how much of a difference it would make.
East was also without one of their starting inside LBs with an ankle sprain.

Wonder if that ref was the same blind ref that gave Mitchell a first down when the ball was half a foot short of the stick on 4th down extending a scoring drive.

First of all the spot was closer to the visitor side then the home side and right in front were I was and it was a good spot but I not going to convince you of it and your not to convince me ether so everyone might as well drop that.
As for the block in the back on the pass interference that lead to Mitchell last drive the same ref did call a bogus PI on Mitchell when ES had a 3 & long which was the difference between a TD drive and a he punt, the receiver couldn't quite catch the ball but the DB as was the ref on his back side and couldn't tell if he had caught it so he hit the receiver but not before the ball hit the ground the ref that could see the front didn't throw the flag. So those two kinda wash each other out. Again I'm sure you'll disagree with that but again we won't change each other's minds, so there isn't any use going back and forth on it.
It is what it is and what it was even with mistakes a really good game all the young men played thier hearts out they did all they could after that some things are just beyond your control and life goes on.
Go luck to everyone and safe travels to Duke I hope that both 1A game are just as hard fought and entertaining as this one was.

First of all the spot was closer to the visitor side then the home side and right in front were I was and it was a good spot but I not going to convince you of it and your not to convince me ether so everyone might as well drop that.
As for the block in the back on the pass interference that lead to Mitchell last drive the same ref did call a bogus PI on Mitchell when ES had a 3 & long which was the difference between a TD drive and a he punt, the receiver couldn't quite catch the ball but the DB as was the ref on his back side and couldn't tell if he had caught it so he hit the receiver but not before the ball hit the ground the ref that could see the front didn't throw the flag. So those two kinda wash each other out. Again I'm sure you'll disagree with that but again we won't change each other's minds, so there isn't any use going back and forth on it.
It is what it is and what it was even with mistakes a really good game all the young men played thier hearts out they did all they could after that some things are just beyond your control and life goes on.
Go luck to everyone and safe travels to Duke I hope that both 1A game are just as hard fought and entertaining as this one was.
Nobody is arguing the spot that was fine but when the ball is spotted and they bring the stick out to measure and there is 4-3 inches of space between the top of the ball and the stick that is in fact not a first down.

Nobody is arguing the spot that was fine but when the ball is spotted and they bring the stick out to measure and there is 4-3 inches of space between the top of the ball and the stick that is in fact not a first down.

Well he got down there and did everything but get a credit card out now if you can see that the ball tip wasn't touching the stick from the stands better then the ref standing on top of it then you've got some amazing vision. So like I said we're not going change each other's minds on this. I just the use of going back and forth on it. The game is over good luck Saturday.

Well he got down there and did everything but get a credit card out now if you can see that the ball tip wasn't touching the stick from the stands better then the ref standing on top of it then you've got some amazing vision. So like I said we're not going change each other's minds on this. I just the use of going back and forth on it. The game is over good luck Saturday.
Everyone in the stadium could see it. The officials just decided on an early Christmas present.

Everyone in the stadium could see it. The officials just decided on an early Christmas present.

Well okay whatever everyone your side surprise saw it thier way and everyone on my side were the sticks were including my cousin who played for East Surry as much as he hated it thought it was a first down. So I really don't know what the back and is going to accomplish.

It was clearly a first down. Even the East homers know it. They just want to bring it up so people have something else to talk about other than the obvious TD that was taken away from Mitchell and cost them the game.

The wrong team is going to get destroyed by Tarboro because that TD and the 2 point conversion (you know they'd make it cause the ES defense is just plain bad) sends Mitchell to the championship game where they belong.

You have to earn the right to play for a state title and ES got it given to them. The beating they're gonna get from Tarboro is nothing less than what they deserve.

It was clearly a first down. Even the East homers know it. They just want to bring it up so people have something else to talk about other than the obvious TD that was taken away from Mitchell and cost them the game.

The wrong team is going to get destroyed by Tarboro because that TD and the 2 point conversion (you know they'd make it cause the ES defense is just plain bad) sends Mitchell to the championship game where they belong.

You have to earn the right to play for a state title and ES got it given to them. The beating they're gonna get from Tarboro is nothing less than what they deserve.

You want some cheese with that whine? Pretty pathetic to say East Surry was given their chance to play for a state title.

Mitchell would not have a chance even competing with Tarboro. East may not either but Mitchell differently does not have the speed and that big line would not push Tarboro around. If East coachs had not got conservative the last position and just scored it would have been over anyway. Mitchell just could not stop the passing game not all. I think someone else said it this is the game most people wanted to see no matter the outcome!

Last edited:
East got worst defense I have seen with undefeated record. Just awful, if the refs would have made right call, I honestly think mitchell would have got 2 point conversion,

Reactions: KW23 and Mhsneer
Mitchell loses to East Surry by one score and by all accounts should have had chance to tie or win and they would have no chance against Tarboro, but East Surry does. I'm guessing if Mitchell had no chance then based on game Friday night neither does East Surry.

East may not stand a chance againist Tarboro but I just think a passing teams has a better chance. Tarboro does not see much passing during the year. Don't think the long ball will work like it did on Mitchell will have to fine the seams and take 5 to 10 yards a catch. I watched this game last year and I watched Mitchell the other night you will not run againist Tarboro.

East got worst defense I have seen with undefeated record. Just awful, if the refs would have made right call, I honestly think mitchell would have got 2 point conversion,
If East defense is so bad then what the hell is Mitchell’s East forced a few stops and outside of the Cardinals going conservative on the last 2 drives Mitchell never would’ve gotten a stop. East Surry scored whenever they wanted to from wherever they wanted to all night. Y’all are the saltiest bunch of fans I’ve ever seen.

If East defense is so bad then what the hell is Mitchell’s East forced a few stops and outside of the Cardinals going conservative on the last 2 drives Mitchell never would’ve gotten a stop. East Surry scored whenever they wanted to from wherever they wanted to all night. Y’all are the saltiest bunch of fans I’ve ever seen.

I guess East's coaches must have decided for it come down to the last play for suspense?

I guess East's coaches must have decided for it come down to the last play for suspense?
No not at all personally I believe it was just a mistake, he obviously believed that they could pick up first downs on the ground and run the clock out and it turned out to be wrong. It felt more like he was playing not to lose instead of playing to win if they stay in the flow of the regular offense then they go up 21 with under 7 left instead of punting with around 6 left and only up 14.

Don't get me wrong, that passing game was a thing of beauty. Mitchell tried to drop as many athletes back in coverage as possible. I saw guys playing in the secondary who haven't played there all year. Totally different defense than what they usually run and that was due to the passing threat. East's weak spot is stopping the run and that's where I think Tarboro will get you. You guys have a really good team. I just wished you could have seen #7 for Mitchell healthy. When he's healthy he's something to see running the ball.

No not at all personally I believe it was just a mistake, he obviously believed that they could pick up first downs on the ground and run the clock out and it turned out to be wrong. It felt more like he was playing not to lose instead of playing to win if they stay in the flow of the regular offense then they go up 21 with under 7 left instead of punting with around 6 left and only up 14.

This is a highly competitive game that played very different styles. I doubt East Surry can stop Tarboro from running the ball any better than they stopped Mitchell. According to the stats Mitchell outgained ES and yes Mitchell blew 2 coverages and gave up a few others but screen game was non factor for ES.

East Surry will need a better performance on defense than they had last week. I don't think anyone but a die hard East Surry fan thinks they are the favorite, but most gave Mitchell no chance Friday and it was a great high school game.

Reactions: The Deerhunter

Alright; I tried to be good, I tried to stay out of the stupid, and here you have drug me in. If East Surry was given the game it was Mitchell who gave it to them. You should never allow a game to be close enough that the refs can effect the outcome and you believe that to be the case. While East’s defense may have had a shaky performance it had sured up against the run by that point in the game, and any coach with a brain in his head sends it to over time....... if East didn’t score on the one play they would have after returning the kick. Now let’s get into some life lessons, I’m figuring you are probably older then me yet I have to shake my head at your ignorance. What good is your post doing? You are coming on here and straight up running down teenage boys behind the shield of a computer. You are trying to discredit there accomplishments for the second year in a row, and ultimately you make yourself look like a joke. It’s a game, it’s not life and death and Bubba this year you lost so please support wresting or round ball, and come back next year when it could happen.

I was griping to one of my friends after Murphy lost to Robbinsville. He made a valid point with a quote from Dean Smith. "If you make every game a life or death proposition, your going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."

I never thought I would see these Mitchell posters whining after losing a game they posted they had doughts of winning. Never seen so many if this, if that and excuses. My outlook on the game is was it possible East Surry could not have beat Mitchell even worse but played them not wanting Tarboro to see how good they really are with all the D-1 players. Same went for MIC, not wanting Mitchell to see them at their best. Hum, just a thought but stop your whining. Some want to talk about me and my beliefs on Tarboro's advantage. Everyone whines but only see it when others post their beliefs. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but a few of us catch it from everyone ! ! !

Of all the idiotic things you have posted over the years this may top the cake, they held back in 2 playoff games to keep future opponents with no guarantee of seeing either one from seeing their strengths. And the constant whining about Tarboro is laughable.

Reactions: 97Cougar
This is a highly competitive game that played very different styles. I doubt East Surry can stop Tarboro from running the ball any better than they stopped Mitchell. According to the stats Mitchell outgained ES and yes Mitchell blew 2 coverages and gave up a few others but screen game was non factor for ES.

East Surry will need a better performance on defense than they had last week. I don't think anyone but a die hard East Surry fan thinks they are the favorite, but most gave Mitchell no chance Friday and it was a great high school game.
I’m as die hard of a cardinal fan as there is and nobody thinks East Surry is the favorite. Do I think they can compete this year and maybe even win absolutely but to say they are the favorites is insanity.

Of all the idiotic things you have posted over the years this may top the cake, they held back in 2 playoff games to keep future opponents with no guarantee of seeing either one from seeing their strengths. And the constant whining about Tarboro is laughable.
I’m not saying what TD said is accurate about the cardinals holding back at all. However I will say that some of the more intricate route concepts and really their best routes have not been ran since non conference ending with the Reidsville game I’m not saying they are holding back but I do believe there are a few things that they wanted to keep off of the film for sure.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Alright; I tried to be good, I tried to stay out of the stupid, and here you have drug me in. If East Surry was given the game it was Mitchell who gave it to them. You should never allow a game to be close enough that the refs can effect the outcome and you believe that to be the case. While East’s defense may have had a shaky performance it had sured up against the run by that point in the game, and any coach with a brain in his head sends it to over time....... if East didn’t score on the one play they would have after returning the kick. Now let’s get into some life lessons, I’m figuring you are probably older then me yet I have to shake my head at your ignorance. What good is your post doing? You are coming on here and straight up running down teenage boys behind the shield of a computer. You are trying to discredit there accomplishments for the second year in a row, and ultimately you make yourself look like a joke. It’s a game, it’s not life and death and Bubba this year you lost so please support wresting or round ball, and come back next year when it could happen.
Lol, great post, bubba! We would have went for 2 but apparently our coach doesn’t have a brain in his head. That’s why he’s been in the regional finals 3/4 yrs and one of the best records in 1a over the past five. But that’s neither here nor there. East won, we lost. We’ll just try again. And again. And again! That’s the point right?

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
I’m not saying what TD said is accurate about the cardinals holding back at all. However I will say that some of the more intricate route concepts and really their best routes have not been ran since non conference ending with the Reidsville game I’m not saying they are holding back but I do believe there are a few things that they wanted to keep off of the film for sure.
That’s absolutely laughable! You have no tomorrow if the team you’re supposed to beat by a lot is some how( because you’re not all that) right there to beat you. But you’re holding back just in case? Smh! Your ignorance is an insult!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT