ADVERTISEMENT

#2 Mitchell (12-1) @ #1 East Surry (13-0)

Wow, I would like to say Mitchell in this one but just don't see it. Think Mitchell would have been behind the 8 ball to begin with but with injuries, I dont see it. I may change my mind closer to Friday but for tonight I say ES wins.

I do think it has potential to be a great game but then again, may be a total blowout what do I know.

Go Mountaineers

Wow, I would like to say Mitchell in this one but just don't see it. Think Mitchell would have been behind the 8 ball to begin with but with injuries, I dont see it. I may change my mind closer to Friday but for tonight I say ES wins.

I do think it has potential to be a great game but then again, may be a total blowout what do I know.

Go Mountaineers
How badly is Mitchell hurt?

Reactions: kingbluedevil
My biggest concern is Mitchell's Pittman
if that ankle isn't any better then it was tonight. This game was already going to be a hard one with everyone at 100% if he can't run it's not only hurts the offense but he's one of your better players in the secondary if he can't play D again against this passing team just makes it harder.

My biggest concern is Mitchell's Pittman
if that ankle isn't any better then it was tonight. This game was already going to be a hard one at everyone at 100% if he can't run it's not only hurts the offense but he's one of your better players in the secondary if he can't play D again against this passing team just makes it harder.
Not a good sign hope he’s well and everyone can come Into the game 100%

More than likely ES takes this one
They should with all that talent. But Mitchell will be the most physical team East has seen this year, and likely the best line that they have faced all year. Mitchell doesn't have the athletes to match, but our boys are big, physical, and still not too shabby in the skills positions. If ES o line can't give Boaz enough time, and they have to resort to running, then the odds should be in Mitchell's favor. If Boaz can connect to Gosnell all night like against Reidsville, then I'd tip the scales to the Cards. Very interesting matchup...

Best of luck to Mitchell. You play Mountain football like it should be. You have had a strong team for years now and just come up short. Personally I had you picked to win the 1A State Championship this year and I feel you got shafted. ADM was under 500 and the powers at the NCHSAA put you in 1AA. Go out Friday and win the West Regional !!!

Best of luck to Mitchell. You play Mountain football like it should be. You have had a strong team for years now and just come up short. Personally I had you picked to win the 1A State Championship this year and I feel you got shafted. ADM was under 500 and the powers at the NCHSAA put you in 1AA. Go out Friday and win the West Regional !!!

Thanks for the compliment. Mitchell has been so close for a while now. Not sure Mitchell was shafted just playing were the numbers say to play. As far as if Mitchell were 1a, it would be a very very difficult task to go to Robbinsville and win just as it will be at E Surry. No doubt E Surry has more athletes but the line play and the combination of the 2 backs at Robbinsville would have been a chore.

Go Mountaineers

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
They should with all that talent. But Mitchell will be the most physical team East has seen this year, and likely the best line that they have faced all year. Mitchell doesn't have the athletes to match, but our boys are big, physical, and still not too shabby in the skills positions. If ES o line can't give Boaz enough time, and they have to resort to running, then the odds should be in Mitchell's favor. If Boaz can connect to Gosnell all night like against Reidsville, then I'd tip the scales to the Cards. Very interesting matchup...
Don’t know much about this team. Do you guys have athletic corners, good pass rush and a running game? MIC had the game plan but turnovers and lack of red zone conversions did them in....

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Don’t know much about this team. Do you guys have athletic corners, good pass rush and a running game? MIC had the game plan but turnovers and lack of red zone conversions did them in....
Red zone offense is so critical at the HS level. Spread offenses tend to move easier between the 20’s. The really good teams can convert touchdowns when the field gets shorter and passing windows get tighter. You really have to be a threat to run the football inside the 20 to be a great scoring offense.

If Noah is full strength we have the best safety’s in 1a period. They cover ground well. Corners are athletes but maybe too small to play one on one. Our best chance is to play tight coverage with help over the top.

our line will be the biggest that East has seen

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
If Noah is full strength we have the best safety’s in 1a period. They cover ground well. Corners are athletes but maybe too small to play one on one. Our best chance is to play tight coverage with help over the top.

our line will be the biggest that East has seen

Noah is my concern , while he showed he's more then a running QB plus our two running backs stepped it up, but he couldn't play defense last night. Hopefully playing didn't set back the progress he's ankle made in healing last week and he'll be closer to normal by Friday.

Mitchell way to big and physical for East to handle. ES defense will give up long drive after long drive keeping their potent offense off the field for big chunks of the game. Mountaineers wear them down in the second half and win going away by 21. Its too bad that Tarboro is waiting in the final. They'd give Shelby all they wanted and would absolutely destroy this years Reidsville team. They're the real deal and too much for Mitchell in the championship game.

Reactions: dmcamp
Question cards fans. How big is y’all stadium cause I guarantee we’re bringing em out in force.

I would say their stadium seats around 3000. Mitchell fans won’t be able to be fence walkers. Visitor side was redone this year and is really nice. Probably the nicest venue to take in a game in the area now. Good luck to both teams but hoping the Cards keep the western title in the foothills.

Last edited:
That is super nice. Sounds like we need to be there early to get a seat.

That is super nice. Sounds like we need to be there early to get a seat.
The new visitor side seating will hold as much (if not more) than the home side now. Expecting a huge crowd. Maybe not quite as much as the 2001 crowd when they played TA McClendon’s Albemarle squad. That was the most fans ever at a home ES athletic event.

The new visitor side seating will hold as much (if not more) than the home side now. Expecting a huge crowd. Maybe not quite as much as the 2001 crowd when they played TA McClendon’s Albemarle squad. That was the most fans ever at a home ES athletic event.

We brought 5k plus to state championship game.

Last edited:
From the looks of the pictures, it's a nice looking stadium, but if Mitchell brings the usual crowd especially for a game this big, I would suggest getting there early or bring a blanket to set on the bank.

Reactions: dmcamp and Mhsneer
I think this will be a clash of styles. A real interesting matchup. It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Reactions: THSRudeBoyz
From watching on film, East has three exceptional kids. They get them in space and they’re hard to tackle. Quarterback has a cannon of an arm. They are small up front but leave a back for extra protection. A ton of bunch formations. It’ll be an uphill climb for our defense, our offense I do believe will be hard for them to stop, although they just shut down a rb going to unc. It’s going to be a battle of wills.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT