ADVERTISEMENT

#2 Holmes (12-1) at #1 Tarboro (13-0)

Who wins?

• Holmes

Votes: 23 27.1%
  • Tarboro

Votes: 62 72.9%

• Total voters
That being said what's the take on the Murphy team that moved up to 1aa after barely beating Plymouth last year for the 1A title?
Murphy had 410 yards of offense to Plymouth's 130 (60 of that on one play) in last year's title game. Everything that could go wrong for Murphy in that game did: fumbles, injuries, etc. That includes Murphy's star QB slicing his hand open in a freak injury very early in game, which forced him out of the game to receive stitches. He later returned but at much less than 100%.

The final score was not indicative of the large discrepancy talent wise between the two teams. it wasn't at all like the 2012 and 2013 Murphy - Plymouth games, were it was a battle of two evenly matched football teams.

With all that said Plymouth managed to hang in there and were in that game till the very end. Plymouth showed real heart and definitely played like they had been there before, which they had.

Last edited:
I'd like to see that Tarboro defense in action, so hope they make it to state. Only giving up 52 all year and you know most of that was probably 4th quarter against the subs.

We've only had two touchdowns all year on the first team D. I expect edenton to score some tomorrow night but certainly don't see them having the output they've been having.

I know Edenton is small but I’m sure they are just as hungry as Tarboro. Both sides carry lots of speed but I feel that Tarboro’s strength could become overwhelming for Edenton rather quickly unless Edenton makes big plays

I know Edenton is small but I’m sure they are just as hungry as Tarboro. Both sides carry lots of speed but I feel that Tarboro’s strength could become overwhelming for Edenton rather quickly unless Edenton makes big plays
This may be the first time I have ever heard of a Tarboro team getting praised for its size. The Vikings always have speed to burn at the skill positions and the weight program usually means good strength, but that usually doesn’t translate to a size advantage.

I had a little free time at work today so I did a little research about the series between Edenton and Tarboro since 1970. Here is some pretty cool facts:

- The first meeting between the two schools was in 1973. Edenton won that match up 12-0.
- The schools have played 15 times. Edenton leads the series with 9 wins to Tarboros' 6.
- Total points scored in the series: Edenton 219 Tarboro 202
- The last meeting came in 2011, when Tarboro won 28-26.
- Edentons longest streak- 5 wins (1973-1977)
- Tarboros longest streak - 4 wins (1981-1984)

I had a little free time at work today so I did a little research about the series between Edenton and Tarboro since 1970. Here is some pretty cool facts:

- The first meeting between the two schools was in 1973. Edenton won that match up 12-0.
- The schools have played 15 times. Edenton leads the series with 9 wins to Tarboros' 6.
Thx for the info! Always interesting to look back at previous matchups. We were in the same conference for a number of years. I have a feeling these two teams will be playing each other in the playoffs on an annual basis for a while to come.

Great info. Did you find this locally or did you have to dig deeper? Wondering if there might be any film of those games remaining??

I am not sure if you are joking or not. So Tarboro is that much better than Northeastern or last year’s Reidsville team?
Tarboro not to be fooled with not saying they are better than those teams you mentioned but wow they are dynamic in every way that counts. If they were in 2A they would be playing Wallace Rose Hill tonight. Good luck to WRH by the way and good luck to Tarboro and Edenton tonight !

Reactions: AcesWild2323
Nope. Close game with both teams held under 20 points at halftime.
I hope we get a running clock, but I don’t see that happening. Tarboro has had explosive plays on offense all year because they have played bad defenses. I expect our offense to look more like it did against SWE honestly. Moving the ball effectively, but doing what our run game is designed to do... grind out 1st downs and wear the other team down. Edenton’s defense will slow the Vikings down just as we will them. I see a game in the 20’s with Vikings up by 7 late trying to stop a late 4th quarter drive from Edenton to ice the game.

I hope we get a running clock, but I don’t see that happening. Tarboro has had explosive plays on offense all year because they have played bad defenses. I expect our offense to look more like it did against SWE honestly. Moving the ball effectively, but doing what our run game is designed to do... grind out 1st downs and wear the other team down. Edenton’s defense will slow the Vikings down just as we will them. I see a game in the 20’s with Vikings up by 7 late trying to stop a late 4th quarter drive from Edenton to ice the game.
Very reasonable post and solid analysis.

Reactions: JAHAces
Finally, someone gives an analysis that shows respect to two very talented and well-coached teams. Both teams can score in bunches. Both teams have had shut-down defenses all year long. Both teams have watched plenty of film of each other. Both teams will be ready to play tonight! The game will be won in the trenches. I’m expecting one of the largest crowds Edenton has ever had away from home, including tailgaters in the visitors parking lot before the game. Just look for the smoke wafting from the grill!

Reactions: AcesWild2323
Kw Corona I’m not understanding your post about Southwest? Did you not attend that game? 7 big plays that would have resulted in TDS for Tarboro called back due to the officiating. That score would have been 58-0 keep that in mind!

Kw Corona I’m not understanding your post about Southwest? Did you not attend that game? 7 big plays that would have resulted in TDS for Tarboro called back due to the officiating. That score would have been 58-0 keep that in mind!
I was there. Most of those penalties you are referring to happened on the same drive. So if you are one of those guys that believes the refs care who wins, at most, we got cheated out of 7 pts. FYI, that game is one YouTube and I watched it last night. Our offense played very well against SWE, but the Cougars had enough talent to slow us down. They couldn’t stop us. We consistently gained yards 7, 5, 9 yds at a time as opposed to 45, 65, 37 yd runs you saw against the rest of the schedule. I hope our team is comfortable gaining 5-6 yards a play and can not false start, hold or turn the ball over, because that’s what it’s going to take to beat these guys.

Running clock before half- Tarboro by at least 42
If you are a Holmes fan and you think you can stop Tarboro you are delusional. Tarboro has 3 players with over 600 yards rushing. 3 players with over 10 rushing TDs. Holmes has one good RB. Key in on one of Tarboro's RB and another will hit you with a big run. Jaquez Edge is the best of these, but if you stop him then Fookie will hit you for a long run. Tarboro defense is also unreal. First team D has only given up 2 TDs all year. This game will not be close.
Tarboro- 42
Holmes- 21

I was there. Most of those penalties you are referring to happened on the same drive. So if you are one of those guys that believes the refs care who wins, at most, we got cheated out of 7 pts. FYI, that game is one YouTube and I watched it last night. Our offense played very well against SWE, but the Cougars had enough talent to slow us down. They couldn’t stop us. We consistently gained yards 7, 5, 9 yds at a time as opposed to 45, 65, 37 yd runs you saw against the rest of the schedule. I hope our team is comfortable gaining 5-6 yards a play and can not false start, hold or turn the ball over, because that’s what it’s going to take to beat these guys.
Obviously you weren’t in tune with that game bc that is not what happened.. those penalties were not all on the same drive. I’ve seen all the film on that game and there was most definitely some home cooking. Likewise if you are one of those guys that think refs make perfect calls all the time especially in a rivalry game like that then you don’t understand the game very well. I get to watch 4AA most nights so I see some decent officiating but that did not take place during the Tarboro vs Swe game sorry!

If you are a Holmes fan and you think you can stop Tarboro you are delusional. Tarboro has 3 players with over 600 yards rushing. 3 players with over 10 rushing TDs. Holmes has one good RB. Key in on one of Tarboro's RB and another will hit you with a big run. Jaquez Edge is the best of these, but if you stop him then Fookie will hit you for a long run. Tarboro defense is also unreal. First team D has only given up 2 TDs all year. This game will not be close.
Tarboro- 42
Holmes- 21
Where has any Edenton fan said we were going to stop Tarboro? I just don’t think it is going to be a blowout either way. If I am wrong so be it.

The exit to get to Tarboro is full of Edenton signs.

Thanks for putting them there. I’m sure that’ll get the Tarboro boys fired up.

Reactions: TriggeredViking1
Where has any Edenton fan said we were going to stop Tarboro? I just don’t think it is going to be a blowout either way. If I am wrong so be it.
Tarboro- 42
Holmes- 21
Not so fast my friend. Holmes has 3 players with over 700 yards rushing with one of those over 2,300 yards and 3 players with over 14 TDs rushing. Does that trump your 3 guys over 600 yards and your 3 guys with over 10 TDs?

The exit to get to Tarboro is full of Edenton signs.

Thanks for putting them there. I’m sure that’ll get the Tarboro boys fired up.
You’re welcome! I’m sure it will get our guys pumped as well!!

putting Out signs in edenton to show support is one thing, but to come to Tarboro and put them out? Completely disrespectful, and I’m sure it’s not going to turn out well.

putting Out signs in edenton to show support is one thing, but to come to Tarboro and put them out? Completely disrespectful, and I’m sure it’s not going to turn out well.
That is just more bulletin board material for Craddock. All that did for Edenton is ensure they will be treated like a practice squad tonight. Sorry for em

Not so fast my friend. Holmes has 3 players with over 700 yards rushing with one of those over 2,300 yards and 3 players with over 14 TDs rushing. Does that trump your 3 guys over 600 yards and your 3 guys with over 10 TDs?
That does not disprove my point that Holmes will not stop Tarboro. That still stands.

This is going to be a good one folks! Better leave the kids at home and prepare for an all out slugfest! These two teams are stout and are just as good as any of the wallace and j.k. teams of years past!

Tarboro- 42
Holmes- 21
Don’t know anyone who has said Aces can “stop” Tarboro, only that it should be a good competitive game between two great teams with the stats to back it up.

For Edenton:
Bailey - 2344 yds rushing 38 TDs
Spruill - 819 yds rushing 14 TDs
Stanley - 767 yds rushing 14 TDs

Total yds rushing for Edenton: 4634
Total yds rushing for Tarboro: 4642
Total all purpose yds for Edenton: 6040
Total all purpose yds for Tarboro: 6181

This is going to be a good one folks! Better leave the kids at home and prepare for an all out slugfest! These two teams are stout and are just as good as any of the wallace and j.k. teams of years past!
Thanks LHS grad. You have been very complimentary.

I try to put myself in your shoes, and I think you’re right. If there were Tarboro Vikings signs on the off ramp for Edenton on US 17, we’d probably complain about being disrespected. But the fact that there are Aces signs in Tarboro this afternoon tells you how much the Edenton-Chowan community supports our Aces. We have one high school in the county (John A. Holmes) that is incredibly backed and supported by businesses, churches, the chamber of commerce, the sheriffs department, and the like. Hard to find a community that supports its high school team more than Edenton. And we travel well.

I try to put myself in your shoes, and I think you’re right. If there were Tarboro Vikings signs on the off ramp for Edenton on US 17, we’d probably complain about being disrespected. But the fact that there are Aces signs in Tarboro this afternoon tells you how much the Edenton-Chowan community supports our Aces. We have one high school in the county (John A. Holmes) that is incredibly backed and supported by businesses, churches, the chamber of commerce, the sheriffs department, and the like. Hard to find a community that supports its high school team more than Edenton. And we travel well.

I don’t feel disrespected. I think it is great the fans support their team. We have played teams that barely have enough fans in the stands to account for the parents of the players. This game will be played on the field at Vikings stadium - not on the US 64 off ramp to Tarboro.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT