Who wins?

• Holmes

Votes: 23 27.1%
  • Tarboro

Votes: 62 72.9%

• Total voters
Not taking anything way from Holmes but no way and no chance I’m
Betting against this Tarboro Vikings team

Two great teams and two of the best coaches in the state going against each other next Friday in Tarboro!

I think the Vikings will continue to impress. The Aces have a potent offense but I think Tarboro’s defense will slow them down. Tarboro’s offensive storm will continue to wreak havoc.

I think the Vikings will continue to impress. The Aces have a potent offense but I think Tarboro’s defense will slow them down. Tarboro’s offensive storm will continue to wreak havoc.
Hey you guys said the same thing in 2011 with Gurley by under estimating the Edenton/Aces and barely got out of Edenton with a hard fought win by less than six points. Not taking anything away from West Montgomery but you will be playing a different caliber and battle tested team with big hearts and capable players on both side of the ball just like Tarboro. The Aces would have scored at least 60 points on West Montgomery believe me they won't be intimidate by Tarboro record and won't quit even if they are behind so don't even think about them doing that always been a second half team since coach Mattera has been there and make good adjustment at halftime if need be. Going to be a hard fought game. Maybe the best team win. Coach Cradock is a good coach and so is coach Hoggard and Mattera at Holmes. Coach Hoggard is one of the best offensive line coach in NC high school football.

Reactions: Mhsneer
Well moved to Edenton in 1980 and graduated there in 1982. In 1984 moved to Tarboro and was there until 2000. Still with some family in Tarboro. Current location in Scotland County played many a game verse Hoggard. So have been blessed with good football throughout. Who to root for here ::
Although JA HOLMES was s short stopping point in life it’s hard not to pull for the school
you graduated from, GO ACES.....

Reactions: JAHAces
Hey you guys said the same thing in 2011 with Gurley by under estimating the Edenton/Aces and barely got out of Edenton with a hard fought win by less than six points. Not taking anything away from West Montgomery but you will be playing a different caliber and battle tested team with big hearts and capable players on both side of the ball just like Tarboro. The Aces would have scored at least 60 points on West Montgomery believe me they won't be intimidate by Tarboro record and won't quit even if they are behind so don't even think about them doing that always been a second half team since coach Mattera has been there and make good adjustment at halftime if need be. Going to be a hard fought game. Maybe the best team win. Coach Cradock is a good coach and so is coach Hoggard and Mattera at Holmes. Coach Hoggard is one of the best offensive line coach in NC high school football.
60 huh?

Actually sir with all do respect your comment is actually taking away from West Montgomery. K. Bailey is a gifted running back I’m sure but he is no Todd Gurley and will face a incredible Tarboro defense which quite frankly is profusely outstanding. Endenton is no slouch and has earned everything Tarboro has but trust me when I say this; those West Montgomery running backs are no joke and the score does not reflect and fast and explosive they were. So I would exercise great caution with saying Edenton would have score 60 points on West Montgomery when y’all played Lakewood. As I recall West Montgomery was last years 1AA West champs and played in the state championship. Tell me again what has Lakewood won lately? Go ahead I’ll wait. Take not this coming from someone who watched 4AA games most Friday nights in Wake County Tarboro can compete at that level. Not saying they would win just saying they could compete. I’m in no way saying Edenton can’t beat Tarboro bc any team on any day can be beat but might wanna slow down your thinking if you think Tarboro is going to let Edenton impose their will on them. With all do respect I think it will be a good game with two talented teams and win or lose the Vikings will show class.

You did not play against a healthy Todd Gurley. He did not practice during the playoffs and was not at full speed until the state championships. I am sure you have seen those highlights. If not, here is a recap:

Think it be a high scoring game, nobody rolling in this one...game decided by less than 14...Holmes only loss from a very strong Northeastern who went the distance , but lost in a high scoring game vs WRH, Tarboro vs Holmes should be a good match up, be nice to be decided by 1 point, but I'm going with Tarboro by 10, either team will represent the East well....good luck to both

Actually sir with all do respect your comment is actually taking away from West Montgomery. K. Bailey is a gifted running back I’m sure but he is no Todd Gurley and will face a incredible Tarboro defense which quite frankly is profusely outstanding. Endenton is no slouch and has earned everything Tarboro has but trust me when I say this; those West Montgomery running backs are no joke and the score does not reflect and fast and explosive they were. So I would exercise great caution with saying Edenton would have score 60 points on West Montgomery when y’all played Lakewood. As I recall West Montgomery was last years 1AA West champs and played in the state championship. Tell me again what has Lakewood won lately? Go ahead I’ll wait. Take not this coming from someone who watched 4AA games most Friday nights in Wake County Tarboro can compete at that level. Not saying they would win just saying they could compete. I’m in no way saying Edenton can’t beat Tarboro bc any team on any day can be beat but might wanna slow down your thinking if you think Tarboro is going to let Edenton impose their will on them. With all do respect I think it will be a good game with two talented teams and win or lose the Vikings will show class.
Sir with all do respect to you and West Montgomery fans and team the Aces defense has faced RB's just as good as West Montgomery for the last three years and in the state 2A championship game against Reidsville last year so they will not be intimidate by your RB's plus they played against a 2000yds rusher Friday night and held him to 87yds. 2000yds rushing in a season is saying a lot no matter what conference of teams you play on. Plus I hope you don't believe Edenton is going to let Tarboro impose their will on them either? Tarboro and Edenton you to play in the same conference so they do have a history going way back to the late 70's and 80's. Peace my brother and we will see on Friday and may the best team win. When the Aces played against Gurley in 2011 the Aces RB's held their own especially the two twins Buck and Thang as they were called. You can put that lost on the play calling for the three yards the Aces needed when they were driving for the winning TD's but came up a yard short with seconds left in the game. The next time you see Gurley in Tarboro ask him who was the hardest hitting and toughest team he ever played in high school and doing an interview while he was at Georgia guess what team he said? The Edenton Aces it will be another hard hitting game just hope the loser give the other team their prop.

Hornets62 we have a 2000 yard rusher and only a Junior. Congrats to Damon Rhone on single season school record. That's saying something for a school that's 50+ years old. I expect a good game but I think Tarboro is gonna be to much.

Hoping coach Mattera can get that state championship...wish he was still coaching here at Thomasville...maybe we would still be playing next Friday night
The Thomasville fans where happy to see him go. His first season at Holmes was the same way but in his second season the Aces went undefeated in the regular season and almost beat Tarboro and Gurley in the third round of the playoff only losing by a couple of points and been winning every since he returned to Edenton.

Hornets62 we have a 2000 yard rusher and only a Junior. Congrats to Damon Rhone on single season school record. That's saying something for a school that's 50+ years old. I expect a good game but I think Tarboro is gonna be to much.
We will see on Friday. I told coach Akins how to stop the Tarboro rushing attack because we played a team like Tarboro in how they fake and hide the ball on offense we had a coach who played ball in the NFL and stress to us how to do it but.

Think it be a high scoring game, nobody rolling in this one...game decided by less than 14...Holmes only loss from a very strong Northeastern who went the distance , but lost in a high scoring game vs WRH, Tarboro vs Holmes should be a good match up, be nice to be decided by 1 point, but I'm going with Tarboro by 10, either team will represent the East well....good luck to both
I agree and who ever win let all of us support the team from the east what do you say. I like Tarboro and Gurley and have a friend that knows Gurley very well and was a positive influence plus a confidant to him. Peace my brother.
Todd played two qtrs that game.

I agree and who ever win let all of us support the team from the east what do you say. I like Tarboro and Gurley and have a friend that knows Gurley very well and was a positive influence plus a confidant to him. Peace my brother.
Not taking anything way from Holmes but no way and no chance I’m
Betting against this Tarboro Vikings team
Maybe the best team win.

We will see on Friday. I told coach Akins how to stop the Tarboro rushing attack because we played a team like Tarboro in how they fake and hide the ball on offense we had a coach who played ball in the NFL and stress to us how to do it but.[/QUOTE.

It's easier said than done though. They just over powered us. They are a big talented team.

Reactions: ESOD
We will see on Friday. I told coach Akins how to stop the Tarboro rushing attack because we played a team like Tarboro in how they fake and hide the ball on offense we had a coach who played ball in the NFL and stress to us how to do it but.
You got the T all figured out huh?

Looks like we will have no answer for edenton but they'll be able to shut down the T. Sound right ?
Nope. Not at all. I think both coaching staffs will have their teams ready to play a close, competitive game. The key for both defenses will be stopping the Home Run play for long yardage and TDs. Fans will get their money’s worth if the final score is low and close.

You did not play against a healthy Todd Gurley. He did not practice during the playoffs and was not at full speed until the state championships. I am sure you have seen those highlights. If not, here is a recap:
That's the nature of the game you play the kids that on the field healthy or not and when the Aces played in the state championship game against Reidsville Bailey was only 80pct. recovered from is ankle injury and still ran for a 60yds. TD. No tell what he would accomplished if he was 100pct. healthy
Hoping coach Mattera can get that state championship...wish he was still coaching here at Thomasville...maybe we would still be playing next Friday night
Hey man he got one at 4A New Bern as the offensive coordinator under Chip William when they beat Independence of Charlotte.

So Edenton is planning on having a “blue out” in Tarboros stadium. Hahaha we will see how that turns out

Reactions: dogs79
Bailey from Edenton is about to find out what a defense looks like.. don’t be surprised if he is held to less than 60 yards and no TDS I love how Edenton is thinking they going to smack Tarboro with that triple option nonsense. It doesn’t work for Georgia Tech so sorry Edenton not going to work Friday night!

Reactions: dogs79
I'm going to change the direction of this thread a little. I think the winner will be the team that makes the fewest mistakes LOL. Now may the best team win!! That being said what's the take on the Murphy team that moved up to 1aa after barely beating Plymouth last year for the 1A title? Edenton shutout Plymouth last year with a running clock and Tarboro would have done the same. I know nothing about the Mt Airy team. Whatever eastern team wins, I definitely want the East to bring the championship back home. what's your take on the two west teams left?

Reactions: AcesWild2323
The East will win this year. If Murphy wins they will realize the difference between 1A and 1AA when it comes to playing certain Eastern teams.

Bailey from Edenton is about to find out what a defense looks like.. don’t be surprised if he is held to less than 60 yards and no TDS I love how Edenton is thinking they going to smack Tarboro with that triple option nonsense. It doesn’t work for Georgia Tech so sorry Edenton not going to work Friday night!
Tarboro’s D is insanely good but Bailey has seen what a real defense looks like and rushed for more than 60 yards and scored a TD against it. Tarboro is too good and I respect them too much to make any predictions on the score but there are four predictions I can make:

1. Bailey will get at least 60 yards.
2. Bailey will score at least 1 TD.
3. We will bring a huge crowd.
4. You will be surprised at how small we are.

#4 above stands out to me. I’ve looked at your roster and them boys must have a lot of heart cause they are giving up a lot of inches and pounds versus the competition.

I'm going to change the direction of this thread a little. I think the winner will be the team that makes the fewest mistakes LOL. Now may the best team win!! That being said what's the take on the Murphy team that moved up to 1aa after barely beating Plymouth last year for the 1A title? Edenton shutout Plymouth last year with a running clock and Tarboro would have done the same. I know nothing about the Mt Airy team. Whatever eastern team wins, I definitely want the East to bring the championship back home. what's your take on the two west teams left?

I wish I had a chance to see them play but I only know about Murphy’s resume. I have read that the western posters are tired of hearing people say that the real state championship is happening in Tarboro on Friday...can’t say I blame them.

Tarboro’s D is insanely good but Bailey has seen what a real defense looks like and rushed for more than 60 yards and scored a TD against it. Tarboro is too good and I respect them too much to make any predictions on the score but there are four predictions I can make:

1. Bailey will get at least 60 yards.
2. Bailey will score at least 1 TD.
3. We will bring a huge crowd.
4. You will be surprised at how small we are.

I will grant you number 3 and 4 above. I can see him getting 60 yards if he get around 50 % of the carries (as usual). Not so sure about #2. I have seen The Tarboro defense shut down too many teams to bet against them. I will show my respect if he proves me wrong.

#4 above stands out to me. I’ve looked at your roster and them boys must have a lot of heart cause they are giving up a lot of inches and pounds versus the competition.
We were the smallest team on the field every game we played this season. Last year at the eastern finals in South Columbus some of their fans, who were great by the way, said “That must be their JV team” when we first came out for warm ups.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT