ADVERTISEMENT

#2 Franklin vs #7 West Stokes RD2

BiltmoreCANE

Jan 7, 2002
Don't know much about West but one thing I'm sure of.....things are going to get tougher for the Panthers this week. Post info on both teams in this thread.

Good luck Panthers. I may try to come out and watch you guys since my Warriors are out.

I know you can't compare scores but look at what Swain did to Mt Airy, a team that beat West Stokes. I think that tells us all we need to know about how well they are going to deal with Franklin.

You will see West Stokes is much better than the begining of the season

Originally posted by HARRYT:
You will see West Stokes is much better than the beginning of the season
might be, but they would still have to be WAY better than what they showed against Mt Airy for this game to even be close

This post was edited on 11/15 11:51 AM by mbdfan

West has starting to gain some confidence. What are the strengths with this Franklin team? What offense do they run?

As for the poster comparing the West Stokes loss to Mt Airy its hard to compare teams like that. West just held Carver to 9 points till they broke a long run at the end of the game. Carver just put up 60 points on Hendersonville. Looking forward to this matchup and hoping for warmer weather.

Franklin's strength's my opinion are a tough physical oline that moves people with ease, a workhorse rb in Jeremiah Young, a fast aggressive hard hitting defense, a fine coaching staff, and a tremendous home field advantage at The Pit.

Knine pretty much nailed it. I will say we are much more balanced this year than in the past. If you stack the box we will throw it around to loosen things up. A really well schooled up tempo passing team will give us fits. Our kick off coverage teams have been suspect at times but our sophomore kicker is good for touch backs. Let's hear what West Stokes strength & weaknesses are?

West strengths are run defense and they have good size on the lines. Run oriented at start of year and started to be a little more balanced. They have some good athletes and well coached. The teams the last few years have gotten better thru out the year and the coaching staff should take pride in that.

I'll be pulling for west they are a solid club, with losses to good teams. 4 a 1 seed Reagan, E. Surry, Mt. Airy, and Carver. E. Surry has trouble with the first round for some reason. Upsets happen, that's why we actually play the game. Will be a good game.

Good luck to the Panthers from Canton. For west fans asking the Panthers are much more balanced this year than they have been, but even with that being said you have to Franklin's run, they are going to shove it down your throat, you have to try to stop that first and then take your chances with them beating you in the air. Stopping them on the ground will not be easy tho. Stack the box and hope for the best. Franklin by 28

My observations regarding Franklin. They are anything but flashy, in fact are downright predictable from the first play to the last, but do what they do very well, and do not make many mistakes, or beat themselves. They are run first, pass mainly as a necessity, often they don't need to. For teams from just around here that have to travel over Cowee MT to get to Franklin it is an uphill battle right from the start. For a trip from such a distance as S Stokes you're down the equivalent of 1 TD before you get off the bus, (which by the time you DO get there you will be damn glad TO get off the bus.) When the game begins, you will soon find that strange things happen in the Pit. You can expect every single bounce, roll, call, or luck of the draw to go against you. This is what you are up against when you try to win in Franklin. Again JMO.
Or WEST Stokes....Or ANY Stokes.
This post was edited on 11/16 7:30 PM by WhoaMule

Didn't think West Stokes would even get past Forest Hills but certainly proved me wrong. I think this will be a close game. Seems like West Stokes always has an extra gear in the postseason.

Originally posted by hitemhard93:
What are franklin's strengths? Their ref's!! It's hard to beat those refs in the pit!!
You can say that after the first half of Franklin vs. Pisgah in Canton this year? As hard as your boys played against Franklin, the refs were our main adversary.

Originally posted by WhoaMule:
For a trip from such a distance as S Stokes you're down the equivalent of 1 TD before you get off the bus, (which by the time you DO get there you will be damn glad TO get off the bus.) When the game begins, you will soon find that strange things happen in the Pit. You can expect every single bounce, roll, call, or luck of the draw to go against you. This is what you are up against when you try to win in Franklin. Again JMO.
Or WEST Stokes....Or ANY Stokes.

This post was edited on 11/16 7:30 PM by WhoaMule

Rest assure we know who we are whoamule! We are "West Stokes!" We deserve more respect than that. We are not South Stokes, nor North Stokes. We have a recent football state championship title and beat some traditional strong and athletic programs along the way (Piedmont, Cuthbertson, South Iredell, Shelby, and Kinston) . We were predicted to win one of those games. So our boys will show up Friday and go against ALL odds and I will bet they will play their hardest! Nobody on these boards ever give us respect, nor do I expect it to start now.

West usually has a good crowd even on the road. This will be about a three and a half hour drive so its a good trip. Also a few seniors on the team were on that championship squad back in 2011. The team back then was picked to lose every week in the playoffs by people that had not seen them play. Win or lose hoping for good injury free game on both sides.

I can assure you that no one within the FHS football program is taking West Stokes lightly.

For any of the West Stokes folks travelling to THE PIT and needing directions to Franklin, or just curious about the team...check their website.

This post was edited on 11/17 3:56 PM by RadioCheck

Franklin High School Football

Very nice Website Radio.....Hopefully West can stay away from the turnover bug and keep it close.

Nobody on these boards ever give us respect, nor do I expect it to start now.

"Blessed is he (or she) who expecteth nothing, for they shall not be disappointed." On that note I am sure your expectations are well founded in reality. But don't take it personally. Sometimes respect can be directed to the wrong compass point when you have, what, how many schools in that county with the same name save one letter?

Best of luck to West Stokes from a South Stokes supporter!!! As mentioned above you have been there before and have the athletes to do it. GATA!!!

Piece of advice: take it easy coming down Cowee Mountain (Macon/Jackson County line). Gear down to not burn up your brakes, and you really don't want to drift over 65 mph. It's a fantastic place to get lit up by a state trooper.

Can't wait for Friday!

Yes! I got a ticket Saturday evening coming down off the mountain. My mom felt bad and said she would pay it after I visited her in Robbinsville.

He has a bit of a Jerome Bettis style. Defenders prepare for the hit but he might run you over or do a little sidestep or redirection.

Originally posted by HARRYT:
Who won ?
There's a game thread.....35-14 Franklin but West scored two late TD's on our back ups. Really physical & bruising game by both D's.

Come on Franklin. Beat the speed this friday. After the Robbinsville game I will be pulling for Franklin over any local teams. Hard hitting and staying in your lane will beat Monroe. Saw Swain do it a few years back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT