ADVERTISEMENT

#2 Franklin vs #6 Monroe RD3

BiltmoreCANE

Jan 7, 2002
Yikes! after hearing the Ashe score maybe we could borrow Crest's team for this one. Seems like Monroe is peaking at the right time. Panthers will have to play a perfect game & hope for a little luck in the Pit. Thoughts?

Gonna have your hands full. Don't know if you guys have seen a team like this, this season. Might wanna try and play "keep-away".

Well that fits our MO, don't know how well we will execute it though. We are not flashy & don't have a bunch of studs. We are very well coached & will smash you in the mouth. Gonna be a tough road to hoe but we will show & play hard. Gotta play the game though......& you never know!

This may end up like the Burns thread 3 years ago. Monroe might want to bring some long johns it might dull the pain.

This post was edited on 11/22 11:08 AM by the hill founding father

Originally posted by the hill founding father:
This may end up like the Burns thread 3 years ago. Might want to bring some long johns it might dull the pain.
That might be one of the greatest threads on NCPreps ever! Not enough Monroe poster to even come close to a 11 page post count. The jist will be the same though. Hope the crowd shows up like they did for that one. The odds may be against us but, what more could you ask for....than playing football on Thanksgiving Weekend!!!

In the cold, at The Pit, Franklin will be fine if they execute their gameplan. This situation reminds me so much of 2 years ago when Monroe scored about 70 points at Mt Airy the week before they came to Swain. And got beat. The lesson was Swain wasn't Mt Airy and Ashe Co aint no Franklin by a long shot. These 2 and 3 touchdown win predictions for Monroe sound good on paper and if it happens these boys will look smart. If it doesn't happen............

Main issue for Franklin is not that they will physically hurt you with the hits but can they contain a QB that can pass and tuck and run. From film he looks very good on cuts and reads the open spaces well. A dual threat QB makes the defense play back some and then the after burners kick in.

Franklin will bring some pain on both sides of the ball. Monroe will know when they get hit. In the cold it will feel worse. Monroe will not pummel Franklin like they did Ashe. Franklin kids leave it all on the field, always have.

I did not see the West Stokes vs Franklin game but did listen to the game. I think Franklins coaching and home field will make things a lot closer than people expect. I seen West play Monroe last year in the second round and they were within a touchdown at the start of the fourth quarter. I hear Monroe has about the same talent as last year. The thing that I would be worried about if I were Franklin is they could not run the ball last night and Monroe brings it on defense. It looks like you got a big gain and they close it up fast.
Enjoyed the play by play last night except for every tackle Franklin made was a good hard hit and West hits were dirty. lol
This post was edited on 11/22 5:29 PM by kingbluedevil

MONROE was up 2-3 touchdowns in the Swain game then their QB had to leave the game with an injury

Not really when you consider that a 6 loss team team from the same conference came to Franklin and ended your season last year. It actually makes sense when you think about it.

Franklin playing at The Pit plus the calls they always get at home from the officials should be worth at least 14 points.
Good luck Panthers.

Originally posted by fballdeacon:

seems funny that undefeated team with only 2 close games all year at home against a 4 loss team would be an underdog.
I don't care who you pull for or who you think will win this game, anybody that posts an Underdog clip wins the thread in my book.

Franklin plays in the weakest conference in the State, you may win Panthers, but it is big boy ball in the Charlotte area. Speed kills, but only the ones who do not have it.

Franklin may win the State, but if you travel around the State, they do not pass the eye test. Slow with a large S.

All that said, I am pulling for them, I think Coach Brooks does a great job with the talent he has, outside of Asheville that would be zero real talent in WNC.

Doubt me, go watch a team like Crest and tell me anyone up here is in the same zip code. JMO.

Guys I'm warning you, Monroe will win this game and it won't be all that close. At least 2 Td's and I'm giving Franklin points for home field, long bus ride for Monroe and cold weather.

I have never understood all of these cold weather remarks. It is not like Monroe is in a warm climate. My guess is that it gets just as cold in Monroe as it does in Franklin. I really do not think this has anything to do with anything.

Originally posted by No.1RamsFan:
I have never understood all of these cold weather remarks. It is not like Monroe is in a warm climate. My guess is that it gets just as cold in Monroe as it does in Franklin. I really do not think this has anything to do with anything.
Being a mountain boy, it does not matter at all. Cold is cold anywhere. It is the old Big 10 - SEC argument. If Bama went to Ohio State in Dec, it still would not matter as our DL is as fast as their DB's. Never bought into the cold matters fallacy.

I think the travel matters more than the weather. JMO.

Originally posted by bamatide13:

Franklin plays in the weakest conference in the State, you may win Panthers, but it is big boy ball in the Charlotte area. Speed kills, but only the ones who do not have it.

Franklin may win the State, but if you travel around the State, they do not pass the eye test. Slow with a large S.

All that said, I am pulling for them, I think Coach Brooks does a great job with the talent he has, outside of Asheville that would be zero real talent in WNC.

Doubt me, go watch a team like Crest and tell me anyone up here is in the same zip code. JMO.
From everything that I know about Monroe, it will probably be like playing Asheville for Franklin. As you said bamatide, Franklin is in an absolutely TERRIBLE conference and have to say they are slow is putting it nicely. They are tough kids and they will definitely hit you, but they are in for a rude awakening compared to what they are used to playing in that conference. There were years when Franklin was in the MAC that they were bigger and tougher than Asheville, but they are 2-11 all time against them because they never can catch anybody nor outrun anybody. Their best player this year would be a lineman on alot of teams… I hate to say it but its true.

This post was edited on 11/23 12:25 AM by AhsCougar1

Originally posted by knine1:

In the cold, at The Pit, Franklin will be fine if they execute their gameplan. This situation reminds me so much of 2 years ago when Monroe scored about 70 points at Mt Airy the week before they came to Swain. And got beat. The lesson was Swain wasn't Mt Airy and Ashe Co aint no Franklin by a long shot. These 2 and 3 touchdown win predictions for Monroe sound good on paper and if it happens these boys will look smart. If it doesn't happen............
Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner....Agree 100%!

Originally posted by No.1RamsFan:
No, no it doesn't. Franklin is at least 15 degrees colder than Monroe in the winter. The cold air coming down the Smokies factored with the chill coming off the Little Tennessee River, is no joke. They're also calling for rain and snow on Friday. I agree with what In knine said, Franklin at The Pit is no Ashe. If Monroe comes in believing that, they'll be spitting teeth.

This post was edited on 11/23 9:43 AM by Thunder.Head

I do agree with a lot of posters on here, if Monroe comes to the "The Pit" thinking it is going to be just another game, you will be sadly mistaken. One of the most interesting places to play, don't know if it is on an old Indian burial ground or what, but crazy stuff happens there. Very nice town, people and places to eat. It would be a great trip to make for someone down the mountain.

Use the cold weather argument all you want, but Monroe will have speed all over the field and Franklin will be just as cold as Monroe. Someone pointed out Monroe has four losses. That just suggests to me that they may have played a much tougher schedule than Franklin. You guys can dismiss a four loss team if you want, but they've won a playoff game on the road and will be looking to make it two on Friday night. I still say Monroe by 21.

4.4 speed is still faster than 4.8 whether you in the cold or not. Compare both teams non conference schedule. Monroe played to 3aa schools that are still alive and beat one of them and loss to the other by 3, they also lost to private school Charlotte Christian with 2016 duke rb commit. Some of these mountain posters need to get paid with a reality check

So many experts, so little to do. Guys thanks for educating everyone on demographics. Josh Brooks was unaware of all that. It's not very often that any of us get out to the big city. Do you think we should carry on with the game?

Which freakin mountain poster are you talking about son? You boys get on here and act like this thread gives you the opportunity to be an expert. You are a fool if you don't think people can watch video and talk with their network of coaches to know about these teams.

What tools!

Originally posted by RadioCheck:
Which freakin mountain poster are you talking about son? You boys get on here and act like this thread gives you the opportunity to be an expert. You are a fool if you don't think people can watch video and talk with their network of coaches to know about these teams.

What tools!
lol I know, I hope Franklin beats the piss out of Monroe.

It's the same song and dance with these flatlanders every year, apparently none of our teams have ever played anyone with speed before, nor will they have any prayer of containing it...

Originally posted by bamatide13:

Hilarious that you talk about just FRANKLIN being slow. And in the same thread you admit it might be an area issue. LOL

You wanna know why you get to talk about Franklin being slow compared to these Piedmont teams? Cause after they get through whipping all the other slow WNC team's a$$es, they are more often than not left to pack the wagon and head east representing the rest of our conference or area.

Josh Brooks can live with that. Can you?

Originally posted by mbdfan:
Originally posted by RadioCheck:

What tools!
lol I know, I hope Franklin beats the piss out of Monroe.

It's the same song and dance with these flatlanders every year, apparently none of our teams have ever played anyone with speed before, nor will they have any prayer of containing it...
You would think that it is the 1950s. Before digital video and transportation for the masses. And then you get WNC guys stick their neck out and try to act like they know more than all the other mountain boys.

Home field makes a big difference. If Franklin had to go to Monroe and play on the turf field probably be blowout. This game comes down to who makes the least mistakes and turnovers. Pulling for Franklin in this one.

For the Franklin folks, you say how good your guys are this year and how they will prove people wrong based on past flops in the playoffs when you've had similar regular season success. Any of you care to step on a limb and predict a score?

They should just cut and paste the thread from a couple years ago when the explosive Monroe Redhawks came to Bryson City to take on the Maroon machine. We couldn't comprehend what was getting ready to hit the maroon devils. The speed, the athleticism, the non stop attack from every angle...brrrrrrrr...I get the shivers just thinking back to it. But wait they ended up playing the game anyway. Monroe came out quick and then 2nd quarter adjustments were made, bone rattling hits ensued, those speedsters started to get alligator arms and looking up before they had a handle on it and the frustration mounted and little ol slow Swain just kept plugging along and won the game. In fact after the 1st quarter we absolutely destroyed them physically, mentally, and in every possible facet of the game. Any honest Monroe fan would admit that and might be the voice of reason here after learning a very humbling lesson a couple years back. I know I will be pulling for the Panthers even though you guys have no chance against a team like Monroe. I absolutely say that in jest. Go play your game Panthers and y'all will be just fine.

Didn't Monroe lose their star Qb in the 2nd quarter of that game? They were up until he got injured

Champ when you said Salisbury was faster than Owen last week you lost all respect from me cause they were slow compared to my Horses and they were laying flat on there backs begging for mercy from all the lumber laid on them all night. Go away flatland troll. Speed is useless if you are getting hit in the backfield. Go Panthers. Let's quit talking speed, its only a little part of the game.

Even if the qb got hurt all that speed should have beat Swain right?

Champ there star QB did get knocked out the game after he got absolutely crushed but didn't leave immediately. He played to the half but the snowball had already started rolling. Swain erased a 28 point deficit with him in the game. In fact he was picked twice before the half one of those being a pick 6. And it wasn't just the QB that Monroe had. Remember all we heard was we had never seen anything like that before. Weapons everywhere. Speed at every position on a level the likes Swain wished they wouldn't have even stepped on the field. Don't try to make it seem like it wasn't anything more than a hit stomping after the first quarter. None of the Monroe players wanted any part of crossing patterns, sweeps, or anything for that matter. You are missing the point here I think. The point was that mountain teams have heard this same thing for a long time and have had lots of success against much more athletic teams. That game a couple years ago was a whale of a game. If it had been a track meet, swain would have been in trouble. Good thing a football game broke out after that opening QB and the best football team won. Franklin can do the absolute same thing. The have a very physical style of play with explosive capabilities. They control the time of possession then they have a good chance. Maybe that game a couple years ago against the devils taught Monroe something and they grew from it. Good luck to both schools. Just thought after what happened that night those familiar with that game would be smarter about posting stuff like that.

Lol wow comparing Monroe to Salisbury. You mountain boys off your rocker. Ok we'll see what happens Friday. Keep believing

You guys quit being low-key racist. Ban me. I am a realist and speak my mind. I do not care. You guys never give predominantly white schools respect and cover it up with the word "athlete". Not fooling me chief. Franklin will hit hard and that speed will not matter as the game progresses. You will see. Not predicting a Franklin win however Monroe will know what the deal is after the first snap. They will have to earn it and play football. They better leave the track shoes at home.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT