ADVERTISEMENT

#2 Franklin 21 @ #1 E Lincoln 31 Final

BiltmoreCANE

Jan 7, 2002
Franklin wins the toss & elects to receive!
Panthers with a quick 3 & out. Mustangs on their 38.
EL driving & down to the 17 with aid of a PF facemask.

Mustangs in for the score! 8:23 left in the 1Q
Franklin with another 3 & out EL set to start on their 26.
Mustangs driving but a fumble gives the ball back to Franklin.
Panthers give it up on a 4 & 7. EL takes over on their 37.
Panthers get in on a corner blitz & force a inc. pass. Franklin ball on their 30. (Really impressed with EL D!)
Panthers can't get anything going on O as Mustangs take over on their 45.
EL driving again deep in Franklin territory to start the 2Q.
EL get a deflected pass down to the 1 & then punches it in. 9:30 left in the 2nd.
Panthers with a critical answer, power running puts them on the board. 7:06 left in the 2nd.

Mustangs driving again but Panthers come up with a huge pick on the Panther 10.
Franklin hits a big pass play but a penalty stalls the drive EL balls on their 6.
Franklin forces a 3 & out to take over on the EL 44. 1:50 left
Panthers punch it in for the score with :44 left.
Wow....just wow! Panthers bust a coverage & the Mustangs take the lead with :18 left.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Panthers try a onside kick & get a penalty.
Franklin with a huge stop on 4th down & take over on their 11.
Panthers turn it over on downs @ the Mustang 11.
Franklin forces a 3 & out to take over on the EL 31.
Panthers punch it in for the score. 3:35 left in the 3Q
EL driving.....Franklin stops them on a 4 & 2 but a motion penalty give the Mustangs new life....inc on 4 & 7 Panthers ball on their 37. 1:20 left in the 3Q.
Headed to the 4th!!!!
EL forces a Franklin punt & after a nice return the Mustangs are on the move.
Panther D stiffens again deep in their own territory but EL takes the lead with a 30yd FG 8:21 left.
EL holds on D again Mustangs start inside their 20 about 6 minutes left.
EL driving & burning clock 3:27 to go ball on Franklin's 31.
Mustangs down to the 9 with the Panthers out of TO & about a minute left.....it's going to take a miracle.
EL punches it in with under a minute left to put this one to bed.

This post was edited on 12/5 10:44 PM by BiltmoreCANE

Re: #2 Franklin 0 @ #1 E Lincoln 0 1Q

About to start in Denver!.....here's to a injury free game for both teams.

Re: #2 Franklin 0 @ #1 E Lincoln 0 1Q

Thanks for the updates, keep them coming.

Congrats to the EL Mustangs & their crew. It was a war and even closer than the score but, you all deserved the win! Great team you guys got and I hope you all bring the 2AA title home to the west. As for the Panthers no reason for the team, coaches, or fans to hang your heads. We all but espeacilly the kids left it all out on the field. A truely historical season for the Panther nation. Hard to say much right now but more to come later.

That was a great high school football game. Congrats to both teams on a hard fought contest, both using their strengths. Young had over 225 yards on 30+ carries, what a load he was,

Heck of a game,,,found myself cheering for Franklin.....smart game called defensively....just wish you didn't rely on passing so early in the 4th...

Surratt was all that & then some as he accounted for over 400 yds passing and rushing. As big as his stats were I thought Franklin's D really played lights out for almost the entire game. Imo the game was won by the Mustangs D who made some critical stops in the game when they needed to. A lot of studs for EL on both sides of the ball but Franklin went toe to toe with them for 4Q's.

Originally posted by BiltmoreCANE:
Surratt was all that & then some as he accounted for over 400 yds passing and rushing. As big as his stats were I thought Franklin's D really played lights out for almost the entire game. Imo the game was won by the Mustangs D who made some critical stops in the game when they needed to. A lot of studs for EL on both sides of the ball but Franklin went toe to toe with them for 4Q's.
No doubt they went toe to toe. That is a good football team you have there BiltmoreCANE. Best Defense we've seen this year. #36 is a great all round playmaker. The best coached team we've played in a long time. Good luck next year.

Great game and what a great team franklin was, great kids and they left it all on the field. One more mustangs, one more

Originally posted by Elincoln:
No doubt they went toe to toe. That is a good football team you have there BiltmoreCANE. Best Defense we've seen this year. #36 is a great all round playmaker. The best coached team we've played in a long time. Good luck next year.
Thanks for the kind words Elincoln. I hope the kids play tonight will quite some of the critics. Really impressed with your team & the little plays they made in the game. Heck of a team you guys have there & also very well coached. Now go beat up on Washington next week so we can all say the real state title game was tonight!
wink.r191677.gif
Will be rooting for you next weekend.

Originally posted by FranklinFAN:
Heck of a game - just shows what you "experts" know about Franklin Football. We went to that horse pasture you call a field and ground it out with your "d1 superstars" for 48 minutes. I don't usually call out players, but the ones who chose to show up on this message board and call out our players and degrade our fans, you showed us nothing except u need to buy a razor. East's speed was not a factor an they didn't beat us by 60 like all you idiots claimed. I have never been prouder of these coaches and kids who have left it all on the field tonight. East got every conceivable bounce, break and call or the game could have taken another turn. We will be back next year as the Panther Nation is Panther Strong
Come on now at least be honest.

Heck of a game - just shows what you "experts" know about Franklin Football. We went to that horse pasture you call a field and ground it out with your "d1 superstars" for 48 minutes. I don't usually call out players, but the ones who chose to show up on this message board and call out our players and degrade our fans, you showed us nothing except u need to buy a razor. East's speed was not a factor an they didn't beat us by 60 like all you idiots claimed. I have never been prouder of these coaches and kids who have left it all on the field tonight. East got every conceivable bounce, break and call or the game could have taken another turn. We will be back next year as the Panther Nation is Panther Strong
I remember my first beer... Just be happy for the kids who left it all on the field, don't ack like a fool

Really great high school football game with both teams laying it all on the line. The way it should be. The home field advantage proved to be the difference in my opinion.

Surratt is impressive and the EL defense played awesome. Jeremiah Young is a heck of a football player.

Congrats to EL, I hope you win it all next week.

As a Lincolnton fan I recognize a back-handed remark when I see one.

On a related note, I guess I better find out who is representing the East in 2AA next week. Got to know who I'm pulling for.

Originally posted by PervicaxLupus:

On a related note, I guess I better find out who is representing the East in 2AA next week. Got to know who I'm pulling for.
+1 Sniffed that one out well, my Latin friend.

All I'm going to say is good game. Good luck next year Franklin. Washington is representing the East, root them on, I don't mind the teams you keep rooting for keep loosing. Lol,

Well, Franklin did better then I thought. Good job representing the mountains! Wish my Mounties could have went that far. Maybe one of these days. Franklin will sure miss #36.

I think Franklin played well but East Lincoln just came up with some big third down plays. I don't care what his forty time is #36 is a real footballer.

Originally posted by hitemhard93:
Well, Franklin did better then I thought. Good job representing the mountains! Wish my Mounties could have went that far. Maybe one of these days. Franklin will sure miss #36.
Yes. Hate to see the Young RB dynasty come to an end.

Really? Franklin held EL to their lowest point total since early September and you take a compliment to their defense as a slap against your own? Okay. I don't really know anything about Lincolnton but I know that our defense made a lot of critical plays against a really good offense last night, so that's all I'm reading into it.

My take on things, from the perspective of the fence (since we filled up those little visitor stands 45 minutes before the game started).

1) We got beat by Chazz Surratt, Other Surratt, and Demarius Valentine. Our d-line and linebackers did to the East o-line what they wanted to most of the night, but C. Surratt and Valentine are slippery and fast and the Surratt brothers definitely act like they know exactly what the other is doing all the time. I'm just a dumb former lineman so this is just my guess, but I think the accuracy of the quarterback was more devastating to our secondary than the speed of the receivers. The quarterback also does the quick release thing very well, so it seemed like the main benefit of our incessant blitzing was all of the false starts.

2) East Lincoln's defense did a good job of slowing us down. The other fence dwellers and myself were wondering why we didn't run more lead and counter plays, but when you consider that Young had 32 carries I guess we really couldn't have ran them that much more without being completely one dimensional. You can also tell our coaching staff respected East's ability to stop our up the middle stuff by the way we started the game with counters and short outs.

3) No coffee in the whole flippin stadium? Really?

4) Sports Page has really good wings. I don't particularly care to have to go back to East Lincoln again for a while, but if I do I will probably hit them up again.

5) Finally, I think either team probably walked away thinking that two or three plays here or there could have swung the game a couple of touchdowns in either direction. It was a game of critical moments, and East made more plays in those moments (especially the fourth quarter) so that is what counts.

Much respect to East and the folks in that community, hope y'all do well next week.

Squirrel your talking to a very sensitive group, just let them be and they will go away. Fair assessment of the game, was a great game, ton of stupid penalties by EL but I believe some of that was caused by frustration, great gameplan by Franklin, I said before the game, if everything is even the team that makes the needed adjustments and has the X factor will win. Chazz is a special player and you could tell that EARLY WHEN HE MOVED INTO EL HIS FRESHMAN YEAR. Valentine, Banks, Tomberlin, Surratt, and Dollar have been great offensive weapons and Chaz has done a great job all year getting them the ball. Both lines for East Lincoln are undersized most nights and last night was no different, there is an advantage for most teams there.

Originally posted by Squirrel Gravy:

Really? Franklin held EL to their lowest point total since early September and you take a compliment to their defense as a slap against your own? Okay. I don't really know anything about Lincolnton but I know that our defense made a lot of critical plays against a really good offense last night, so that's all I'm reading into it.

Really? I doubt that it was the defense comment that got it started. So just simmer down it will be ok.

I guess all you got is # 36 . Without him you would not even been here. He had all your yardage rushing. The other backs had nothing. East is not a one man team like Franklin. and when Chaze came in on defense in the 4th Quarter that little 5 yard Hook pass to #14 went away
This post was edited on 12/6 4:27 PM by big army mike

Dang cm3...suddenly you are really sensitive and sarcastic. What happened, bro? The Gaston comments suddenly got to you? And the wet field incident? And your spelling suddenly went to pieces... Is that really you?

Franklin... I sat with you last night, and have some observations...

Your fan base is awesome. You cheered loudly when your captains showed up, when the cheerleaders came out, and nonstop during the game. Your band was smallish in number, but big in sound and enthusiasm. Your cowbells were everywhere, and seldom stopped ringing. You're fans kept the faith until the end. I sat with a guy from Asheville. He told me before the game that no matter the score, you all would never quit. He said it was based in a stubborn pride and competitiveness...something called "mountain"...

Your team was disciplined, athletic, and hard-nosed. Physical, too. Tough kids. well coached.

I gotta say I was very impressed, not just with your team, but with your fans. The cracker box was rocking, all game long. I felt like I was at a football carnival...loud, exciting fun. My hat is off to your team, your program, and your fans. Thanks for having me!

Good luck to the East Lincoln Chaz Surretts next week, not sayin that to be mean, but he is good and that's all u got, we took it to you missing our top recieved and our QB had a broke ankle. If the ponies are coming into this game in that shape it's lights out for the one man gang
This coming from a team that had one guy with 90% of their offense. Franklin is a afterthought in nc football. Congrats to EL.

Surratt is an amazing player and East wouldn't be the same without him, but I definitely wouldn't call them a one man team. They have some great weapons on offense and a very good offensive line, and a solid and underrated defense. I'm sure a lot of great teams wouldn't be the same without their QB. Lincolnton struggled without it's QB and he only attempted about two passed a game. I'm far from an East Lincoln supporter but I think the rest of those guys deserve a little more respect than to be called the EL Surratts.

I was very impressed with Franklin, their fans, their players, the heart and energy they played with. You guys had an excellent team, you just came up a play or two short in the end. Nothing to be ashamed of. You guys gave EL a better game than we were able to. The atmosphere was great. Very loud and a big crowd on both sides. Good luck to the Mustangs and the tandem of Gaston County residents next week.

Franklin played very disciplined and well coached football. It's a bit arrogant to assume I would say what I did to take a jab at Cloninger as if the world revolves around Lincolnton. I have respect for him and the teams he put on the field over the years at Lincolnton. The 2011 team was one of the best 2A teams I've seen personally. In just about any other year they would have won state considering it took a Todd Gurley led team to squeak out the win for Tarboro.

Next week you guys may all get your wish against Washington. Only Havlock was able to put up the kind of numbers on offense that we are used to. It would be foolish for us to expect to score a lot on that defense. Washington has been 3A for the last 2 years as well so it's going to be an uphill battle all the way.

Well...this is Ncpreps...the 2a football thread...so like everybody else here, our discussions revolve around our teams and coaches. So yeah, it does seem you took a swipe at us. But I dont care. I do not expect you to laud our program or our coaches. And I don't possess the expertise to say whether the twins from Franklin are better coaches than ours. Maybe you do, whatever. Looked like a good jab to me!

Arrogant? Maybe.

I completely agree with your assessment of the Lincolnton 2011 team...and Gurley. I suppose it's possible to make the case that Cloninger had to coach this team better than that one, to fit the talent of this years edition...who knows? Kinda hard to declare a coach great based on record or results without assessing what he had to work with. So you may be absolutely right! Or wrong... I take no offense, even though I think you are sharp enough to have known you were poking the arrogant wolves a little...?j

And that is the first assessment I've seen on Washington! Thanks for the info. Seems like my kinda team!

Go Wolves! Go Panthers! Go Redskins...or whoever Washington is...

And I do like The Sports Page. That's worth something, right?

Keep right on thinking that numbnuts. Afterthought my ass!!! Precisely where we want you. We are going to be in your face for a long damn time. Get used to it!!

LoL...fair enough AlwaysAWolf. Hope Cloninger has a great retirement and can't say I'll be upset to see someone else walking your sidelines.
Originally posted by AlwaysAWolf:
Well...this is Ncpreps...the 2a football thread...so like everybody else here, our discussions revolve around our teams and coaches. So yeah, it does seem you took a swipe at us. But I dont care. I do not expect you to laud our program or our coaches. And I don't possess the expertise to say whether the twins from Franklin are better coaches than ours. Maybe you do, whatever. Looked like a good jab to me!

Arrogant? Maybe.

I completely agree with your assessment of the Lincolnton 2011 team...and Gurley. I suppose it's possible to make the case that Cloninger had to coach this team better than that one, to fit the talent of this years edition...who knows? Kinda hard to declare a coach great based on record or results without assessing what he had to work with. So you may be absolutely right! Or wrong... I take no offense, even though I think you are sharp enough to have known you were poking the arrogant wolves a little...?j

And that is the first assessment I've seen on Washington! Thanks for the info. Seems like my kinda team!

Go Wolves! Go Panthers! Go Redskins...or whoever Washington is...

And I do like The Sports Page. That's worth something, right?

I went to the game and sat with the Franklin side as I thought I would have a better chance of getting a seat . The Franklin folks are good people . You know they love their team to bring as many people as they did from as far as they had to come. I enjoyed the game , Franklin came to play . As did East. I have noticed this the last 3 times I have watched East play at home .They have players that leave early before the ball is snapped . The refs at the home games might let it go but it will lose you yards in the State Championship game . Over all it was a good game by two good teams. Good luck to East Lincoln against Washington . From what I know about Washington , it will be a good game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT