ADVERTISEMENT

#2 Cherokee (12-1) at #1 Mitchell (12-1)

Who wins?

• Cherokee

Votes: 40 49.4%
  • Mitchell

Votes: 41 50.6%

• Total voters
Yes, Mitchell has several key seniors that will be lost. Starting with Young at qb, Robinson at rb and lb, Smith and Pitman at wr and db, Pressley and
Self on the line.

Mitchell will return several skill and linemen as well.

Mitchell JV's did win the conference and only lost one game to Elizabethton Tenn on a 34 yrd fg at the buzzer. So they have some young men coming up that can help, but they don't have the speed that will be graduating.

Beat me to it MCM

GO MOUNTAINEERS

Wow!! We're takin a lick after this year, gotta few comin up!! Think we should still be ok but if there was any year for a lgit shot it's this en!!

Mitchell has a little bit of everything on offense. A fast 6'1" receiver, a 6'5" receiver, a tailback that is almost impossible to tackle, a halfback that is quick, and a TE/RB hybrid that sees the field better than any high school player I've ever seen personally. Oh, and a 210lb QB that can sling it and can run over the heftiest of linebackers.
who do we have that is 6'5? jesse pittman is more like 6'2, lets not get too excited here.

not going to nitpick over a few inches, if noah doesn't play he will have to step up on defense

Rick pointed out something very important. We have all pointed and compared previous years to answer the present questions. Cherokee pointed out they beat North Duplin the #1 seed in the East but Mounties handily bear the Braves last year. But of course it’s been pointed out that this is a new year. One big component is Cherokee has had its growing pains against the Mounties. That definitely helps them. They have played against them regular season and playoffs. More than anyone in the conference.This is the year Cherokee can return to state. Can they do it is the big question. Mirror QBs are going at it. #4 for Mounties has speed but if Evans is healthy his speed is legit. Also #70 for Mitchell wreaked havoc on us definitely need to watch him. I’ve been betting against the Braves in a lot of contests but be ready for a packed house and tons of emotions. First appearance since 05 in regional final. If they win the tribal offices will be shut down next Friday. Good luck both teams.

This is likely going to be one of if not the biggest crowds to ever watch a Mitchell High School football game in Ledger....The Reservation will travel to watch their teams, and you better bet that they will be there in force this friday night....

Mitchell County played in the Western Regional Final last year in Murphy, so you know that there are going to be even more fans at the game this year because it's in Ledger, and the only other game in the area is down the road in Fairview at A.C. Reynolds or over in Lenoir at Hibriten...

I'm wondering how big a loss it is, and how the Mountaineers will replace Noah Pitman?....I must confess that I don't know the Mountaineers' roster like the fans of Mitchell County do, but it seems to me that he is a big loss because he was a key player?....Could be wrong, so what are some of you Mountaineers' feeling about losing Pitman for this game?

As mentioned above, both teams are quite familiar with one another having played several seasons against each other recently, but I don't know if that gives either team the edge or not?....Certainly, Cherokee will be motivated to beat Mitchell County since the Mountaineers have gotten the best of them in recent years, and Mitchell County will be confident in the fact that they have beaten Cherokee before, and all they have to do is beat them one more time to reach the state finals, so there's that too?

One thing is for sure, and that is that it's going to be an electric atmosphere in Ledger on friday night!

As a fan of the SMC, I generally root for the SMC teams as I will for Cherokee, but I will not be disappointed if Mitchell County wins because I will root for them in the finals next week if that be the case...

Good luck to both teams this friday!

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Noah Pitman is a stud, probably the best player to come thru ledger since John and Hank Phillips back in the 80's. If he doesn't play, we'll just work around it. We have plenty of other offensive weapons, although he is a good cornerback too...

Go ahead and light up them purple Christmas trees cause we are coming! Winner goes to State! Enough said.

Reactions: Griddie
You really think Pittman is the best player to come through Mitchell since the 80s?! That is a stretch in my opinion. Pittman can play ball but as far as being Mitchell's best player since the 80's? Eh....Mitchell has had some good ones.

Heck, I have a have a hard time believing he’s better than Young. I mean that kid has taken Mitchell to the 2nd round as a freshman, to the State finals, and to the WNC finals. Is in the WNC finals again with a really good shot at leading Mitchell to a state title. And Oh yeah, is 47-10 as a four year starter.

That's what I'm saying about Young! But to give credit where credit is due, I forgot about Pittman only being a sophomore. He will be very good, heck he already is.

Young gonna be missed, I've only seen him play like 3 times but he's a hard playin kid for sure!! Man I wish Friday was here so we can see how it's all gonna go down!!!

I believe state champion is winner of this game. Man I hope Braves can pull it off. Most excited I’ve been for Cherokee since 96 and peaches squirrel and sis fourkiller and state title in hoops. And Mitchell County won it I’m 2A that year I think as well.

Reactions: Swain97
Ain't sure tell you tha truth!! We got another arm comin up but he's gonna have to work hard on his foot work, big shoes to fill next year that's for sure!!

I think Mintz is a decent punter too. If the other positions don't work out, give that a go.

And as for Mitchell's best player, I think it's that QB you guys had a few years ago when Swain came up there and beat you in the playoffs late in the 4th quarter. I think he was a 1000/1000yd+ kid, but don't remember the exact stats. And that game was packed out the gills too. I remember being 2 or 3 rows deep standing behind the bleachers.

I think Mintz is a decent punter too. If the other positions don't work out, give that a go.

And as for Mitchell's best player, I think it's that QB you guys had a few years ago when Swain came up there and beat you in the playoffs late in the 4th quarter. I think he was a 1000/1000yd+ kid, but don't remember the exact stats. And that game was packed out the gills too. I remember being 2 or 3 rows deep standing behind the bleachers.

I think Mitchell wins by 10 or so. Good luck to both teams. Glad to see the mountain teams still alive in the Regional Finals.

I hope the Braves are able to come home with the win, in my opinion this is the most talented team since the woods era. I got to compete against Mitchell in multiple sports and they were always a class act! So either way the west will be represented well dec 9th!

Mintz gonna be missed as well. Is he playing QB or LB at GWebb
I’d guess QB. But with his strength and speed he wouldn’t be bad on either side of the ball. I know many will go where they can get the most playing time. I remember his dad posting something about WCU not taking interest in him. So I am sure he is ready to prove something. Ironically his future brother in-law/former QB coach Ray Smith is back up at WCU and seen playing time this season.

Weather looking great for Friday can it already be here . Should be a great game and hopefully we will show up better than last year. Time will tell.

I love freezing cold games. A low of 42 is depressing. Thats like not even remotely cold.

I don’t think either team would be affected by the cold as both places are deep in the mtns. I like to watch snow games on tv but as a fan I don’t mind 42 as the low lol

Reactions: mbdfan
Hahahah!! Remember in 03 when it snowed tha whole game when we went to robinsville, believe it was 2nd or 3rd round!! I didn't think I was gonna make it thru warm ups that night!!! Rain, snow, shine or per cap I'll be there with bells on!!!

I remember hearing during their run in 2005 Cherokee would not use cold gear against opponents. It worked up until the Regional finals @ Elkin. Nonetheless, the whole "iyusdigwo" (take on anyone) sentiment is ingrained into these boys head from an early age so I expect that attitude come Friday.

Got a question for the Mitchell fans what is going on up there is Mitchell laying the leather that hard of click and clacking that's the 2nd ball player to get hauled out by ems for head and neck injury

Not takin anything from Mitchell, 2 robinsville kids came from 2 different angles on tha same runner and it didn't work out for them!!

Reactions: Mhsneer
The great thing is that either team that wins this game, has a legit shot to win it. Not so much in the other 1A division.

Lol, The East Champion, either the Rebels or Vikings will show up. You know, just in case.

Probably for a quarter or 2 gurnade, wanna see hittin all game long come out to ledger tonight!!!! I can feel it comin in tha air tonight!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol, The East Champion, either the Rebels or Vikings will show up. You know, just in case.
I know they will show up. Just saying Cherokee and Mitchell have a chance in the State Championship game. Whereas in the Big 1AA bracket, neither team from the west has much chance in that game. Tarboro or Holmes will beat the brakes off Murphy or Mt. Airy. Bet.

From what I saw was a Mitchell player came in a second late and hit Ornelas in the side of the helmet. I seen and heard the pop. As far the physicality, Mitchell wasn't more physical than any other SMC team. But unlike the MICS they took hits and kept playing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT