ADVERTISEMENT

2 back to back perfect seasons, which will end first?

WATCHER-1

Sep 24, 2002
Robbinsville has gone 6-0 in back to back seasons. Hayesville has gone 0-6 in back to back seasons. Which will end first?

Hayesville keeps their streak alive.
Hayesville has some talent coming up but still not much of a line to talk about. With the right offense they could give a little more challenge in the conference, I say they may squeeze a conference win out next year.

That's what I meant. Don't worry, you guys will get a good a$$ whoopin at least twice this winter!!

Coaching, coaching and coaching!!!!
Simple as that!
But hey, somebody has got to be at the bottom. Might as well be us!

Sam you are insane if you think it is all the coaches fault. The work ethic and dedication of the players is so low they only have 8-10 show up at summer workouts. Not to mention the lack of linemen at hayesville, they have a couple of true linemen (body type) the rest look like wide receivers. The way these kids work and dedicate their selves to the program you could hire nick Saban and he couldn't win.

It is my humble opinion that quality coaches movitate and inspire players to show up and work their butts off !!
Just my opinion!!

Sam you are insane if you think it is all the coaches fault. The work ethic and dedication of the players is so low they only have 8-10 show up at summer workouts. Not to mention the lack of linemen at hayesville, they have a couple of true linemen (body type) the rest look like wide receivers. The way these kids work and dedicate their selves to the program you could hire nick Saban and he couldn't win.

Is there any hope for the future? I for one would like to see everybody in the SMC competitive!

It is my humble opinion that quality coaches movitate and inspire players to show up and work their butts off !!
Just my opinion!!
And you are totally entitled to your opinion, not saying you are right or wrong. Until the kids have a desire to improve and the dedication to improve it will not change. I am sure gentry, Walsh, and Blankenship don't have to motivate their players to workout or improve they have that desire. I played for Walsh and it wasn't him that encouraged me to workout it was my pride in myself, my team and my school that did that for me. The other thing that motivated me was the fact I didn't want to be at the bottom of the totem pole of the conference. They have to figure out a way to self motivate themselves on the field and in the classroom until then it doesn't matter who is coaching it won't work. That is my opinion wrong or not. I challenge my own children to fight and scrape to be successful it is up to them how good they are.

Is there any hope for the future? I for one would like to see everybody in the SMC competitive!
Yes there is hope we have some really good kids coming up and if they work things could change maybe not championship material, but could make some noise in a few years.

Sam, I dont mind taking 2 bball losses to Hayesville and taking 2 football wins to hayesville each year.

SMCTrain, Hayesville has only won the SMC 3 times and one of those was in the 30s. I just dont think you can win at Football with a bunch of bball players. Hayesville is a bball school and i dont think it will ever change. thats what they want over there. Hville has more ppl at bbal games than football, enough said.

Sam, I dont mind taking 2 bball losses to Hayesville and taking 2 football wins to hayesville each year.

SMCTrain, Hayesville has only won the SMC 3 times and one of those was in the 30s. I just dont think you can win at Football with a bunch of bball players. Hayesville is a bball school and i dont think it will ever change. thats what they want over there. Hville has more ppl at bbal games than football, enough said.

As I think back, during the Setzer era at Hayesville, (not sure how many years he was there) but Hayesville won the SMC 2 times and beat Murphy 3 times during his tenure. During this time they were still a "basketball" school!! So yes it can be done!

BK please reread my quote or ask for help so get what I said. I said "maybe not championship material, but could make some noise". This is why people give you crap all the time even other robbinsville posters you make yourself look like an a$$hole with every statement you make.

As I think back, during the Setzer era at Hayesville, (not sure how many years he was there) but Hayesville won the SMC 2 times and beat Murphy 3 times during his tenure. During this time they were still a "basketball" school!! So yes it can be done!
You make valid points, but '03 to '07 was the worst stretch of football Murphy has seen since the early 80s, the only team out of those five that was truly good was the '05 team. The '06 team could have been pretty good (and made the '05 team better) but virtually none of the quality athletes in that year's senior class bothered to play football or any sport for that matter, aside from a few for basketball. That has to have been Gentry's smallest and worst senior class (5 players and only 2 of them started) since he's been at Murphy.

The point was, beating Murphy is the mid '00s was not a very difficult task, credit to Hayesville for those wins but they came at the expense of a severely weakened Murphy program.

Last edited:
Coaching, coaching and coaching!!!!
Simple as that!
But hey, somebody has got to be at the bottom. Might as well be us!
AGREE Sam , had a Hayesville parent about 10 years ago told me if Gentry would have came to Hayesville they would have had at least to State titles.

Reactions: dogman35
You make valid points, but '03 to '07 was the worst stretch of football Murphy has seen since the early 80s, the only team out of those five that was truly good was the '05 team. The '06 team could have been pretty good (and made the '05 team better) but virtually none of the quality athletes in that year's senior class bothered to play football or any sport for that matter, aside from a few for basketball. That has to have been Gentry's smallest and worst senior class (5 players and only 2 of them started) since he's been at Murphy.

The point was, beating Murphy is the mid '00s was not a very difficult task, credit to Hayesville for those wins but they came at the expense of a severely weakened Murphy program.

I agree with you that those were some down years for Murphy. However, BK made the statement that sounded like Hayesville couldn't ever compete. I was simply pointing out that in a stretch of years, Hayesville beat Murphy 3 times with two of those years being a SMC Championship.
Everyone knows that competing with a Murphy and Swain each year is the measuring stick for the SMC. Look at these past two years. Robbinsville has beaten both Murphy and Swain and last years result was a State title, this year is yet to be determined.
Murphy being down may have been the reason Hayesville beat them. But those years Hayesville competed in the SMC. So I was saying that it could be done, BK talked like it couldn't be done!
I don't believe that last place in the SMC for two straight years is the best that Hayesville can do. Numbers wise they are the 3rd largest school in the SMC.

Reactions: mbdfan
I agree with you that those were some down years for Murphy. However, BK made the statement that sounded like Hayesville couldn't ever compete. I was simply pointing out that in a stretch of years, Hayesville beat Murphy 3 times with two of those years being a SMC Championship.
Everyone knows that competing with a Murphy and Swain each year is the measuring stick for the SMC. Look at these past two years. Robbinsville has beaten both Murphy and Swain and last years result was a State title, this year is yet to be determined.
Murphy being down may have been the reason Hayesville beat them. But those years Hayesville competed in the SMC. So I was saying that it could be done, BK talked like it couldn't be done!
I don't believe that last place in the SMC for two straight years is the best that Hayesville can do. Numbers wise they are the 3rd largest school in the SMC.
Don't get me wrong SMC redneck, I wasn't trying to imply that Hayesville can't compete with the best of the SMC when they have a good run of athletes. Those Hayesville football teams in the early 00's had plenty of talent, the two SMC titles they won were well earned. Hayesville were plenty talented enough to get at least one state football title out of that particular run of athletes and probably would have with an elite coach.

That early 00's Hayesville football run reminds me an awful lot of Murphy's run in basketball a few years back. The run of basketball talent Murphy had from '07-08 to '10-'11, when they won the SMC 3 years in a row and conference tournament 4 years in a row, was as good a multi year collection of basketball talent as you'll ever see from this conference. And just like the probability Hayesville football gets a state title with an elite coach, well the same could be said of Murphy basketball with an elite coach like a Cottrell coaching those teams, Murphy would have gotten at least one state title out of that run imho.

Hayesville's football program is beyond treading water, they sunk a while back. And Murphy's basketball program is about another year of failure of getting there. There seem to be more kids who play football or baseball for Murphy (or no sports at all) that played basketball at a high level growing up that simply won't play the sport anymore because of the environment and the stigma that has developed around the program. I'm sure the same applies to baseball and basketball players not playing football at Hayesville.

The situation has to devolved to the point that a standard line as to why Hayesville's football program and Murphy's basketball program are so terrible is "they don't have any talent" no crap! The reason they don't have any talent is because the majority of kids that are truly talented and that would make a difference, are no longer playing the sport. At least before the talent was still coming out to play, now the talent isn't even bothering to do that because they see how toxic the environment is.

Last year Murphy really struggled to even piece a team together. It was so bad that one kid, who to my knowledge had never played organized basketball before, actually got meaningful minutes due to a lack viable players coming out for the team. For things to get that point and no consideration towards heading the program in a different direction, I don't even know what to say to that. And without those consideration towards changes, the current status of Hayesville football and Murphy basketball should be viewed as the new normal.

Hayesville has shown no real desire to initiate real change within the football program, and most fans will be content with the status quo as long as basketball and baseball are doing well. As are most Murphy fans content with s terrible basketball/baseball product if football is going good. I'll say this, at least Hayesville has pretended like they care at times, hiring and firing coaches from time to time. Murphy's indifference towards making a change, after multiple years of a really bad on court product and dwindling participation numbers, speaks volumes. At some point though, another group like '01 - '04 will come along for Hayesville football and another group like '08 - '11 will come around for Murphy basketball. And those teams will do well regardless of who is in charge, on sheer talent. This masking many of the real issues and allowing a leash so long they're above criticism.

And no, I'm not saying the current coach for Murphy is the worst coach ever (at his hiring he was an obvious upgrade over what really was one of the worst basketball coaches the mountains has seen: Boyd Shields) what I am saying however is that after 15 years and the program on a downward trajectory every year since the peak in '09-'10, it is time for a new voice. And maybe a new challenge would do the coach himself some good too, perhaps it rejuvenates him a bit. But regardless of the validity of my critique of anyone's coaching acumen, be it Hayesville's coach, be it Murphy's coach, whoever, I feel confident in stating this : in virtually any line of work, repeated poor results and poor returns will generally lead to dismissal of services.

Last edited:
Reactions: SMC REDNECK
Why are the Murphy people acting like 01-04 football was the best? What about the 97 team?

Also, what is this talk about elite coach bull crap. Dee Walsh ran the Offense and Defense for Hayesville during those good years? Is he not considered elite? Guess not to murphy posters. Maybe just the past two years.

Also, what is this talk about elite coach bull crap. Dee Walsh ran the Offense and Defense for Hayesville during those good years? Is he not considered elite? Guess not to murphy posters. Maybe just the past two years.

"Are you an elite coach?" No, I just beat Murphy the last two years. I hope Holiday Inn doesn't sue. Hayesville's 02 team would of taken state but they had 6 TOs in a 19-13 loss to Elkin. Sometimes the best team doesn't play the best.

An old coach also had an interesting view and I will attempt to quote- "You can't win the Kentucky Derby on a donkey."

To be a state champion you must be talented, well coached and a little lucky.

Don't get me wrong SMC redneck, I wasn't trying to imply that Hayesville can't compete with the best of the SMC when they have a good run of athletes. Those Hayesville football teams in the early 00's had plenty of talent, the two SMC titles they won were well earned. Hayesville were plenty talented enough to get at least one state football title out of that particular run of athletes and probably would have with an elite coach.

That early 00's Hayesville football run reminds me an awful lot of Murphy's run in basketball a few years back. The run of basketball talent Murphy had from '07-08 to '10-'11, when they won the SMC 3 years in a row and conference tournament 4 years in a row, was as good a multi year collection of basketball talent as you'll ever see from this conference. And just like the probability Hayesville football gets a state title with an elite coach, well the same could be said of Murphy basketball with an elite coach like a Cottrell coaching those teams, Murphy would have gotten at least one state title out of that run imho.

Hayesville's football program is beyond treading water, they sunk a while back. And Murphy's basketball program is about another year of failure of getting there. There seem to be more kids who play football or baseball for Murphy (or no sports at all) that played basketball at a high level growing up that simply won't play the sport anymore because of the environment and the stigma that has developed around the program. I'm sure the same applies to baseball and basketball players not playing football at Hayesville.

The situation has to devolved to the point that a standard line as to why Hayesville's football program and Murphy's basketball program are so terrible is "they don't have any talent" no crap! The reason they don't have any talent is because the majority of kids that are truly talented and that would make a difference, are no longer playing the sport. At least before the talent was still coming out to play, now the talent isn't even bothering to do that because they see how toxic the environment is.

Last year Murphy really struggled to even piece a team together. It was so bad that one kid, who to my knowledge had never played organized basketball before, actually got meaningful minutes due to a lack viable players coming out for the team. For things to get that point and no consideration towards heading the program in a different direction, I don't even know what to say to that. And without those consideration towards changes, the current status of Hayesville football and Murphy basketball should be viewed as the new normal.

Hayesville has shown no real desire to initiate real change within the football program, and most fans will be content with the status quo as long as basketball and baseball are doing well. As are most Murphy fans content with s terrible basketball/baseball product if football is going good. I'll say this, at least Hayesville has pretended like they care at times, hiring and firing coaches from time to time. Murphy's indifference towards making a change, after multiple years of a really bad on court product and dwindling participation numbers, speaks volumes. At some point though, another group like '01 - '04 will come along for Hayesville football and another group like '08 - '11 will come around for Murphy basketball. And those teams will do well regardless of who is in charge, on sheer talent. This masking many of the real issues and allowing a leash so long they're above criticism.

And no, I'm not saying the current coach for Murphy is the worst coach ever (at his hiring he was an obvious upgrade over what really was one of the worst basketball coaches the mountains has seen: Boyd Shields) what I am saying however is that after 15 years and the program on a downward trajectory every year since the peak in '09-'10, it is time for a new voice. And maybe a new challenge would do the coach himself some good too, perhaps it rejuvenates him a bit. But regardless of the validity of my critique of anyone's coaching acumen, be it Hayesville's coach, be it Murphy's coach, whoever, I feel confident in stating this : in virtually any line of work, repeated poor results and poor returns will generally lead to dismissal of services.

Great post. I enjoyed it and you make many valid points. I hope that both Hayesville Football and Murphy Basketball both improve. Would love to see where every Friday Night in football, anybody can beat anybody! It would sure make for some good Football!

Reactions: mbdfan

Are you saying that you don't consider Setzer one of the better coaches?

Don't know much about Setzer except he is a O-line coach and ran a good program at Hayesville. He knew how to get good coaches around him and could politic. Everyone knows Walsh was for the most part behind the scheme during those years.

Hayesville was also pretty good 91-94 no championships to speak of but really tough teams and I think they might have handed robbinsville their only loss their state title year (maybe wrong)

Great post. I enjoyed it and you make many valid points. I hope that both Hayesville Football and Murphy Basketball both improve. Would love to see where every Friday Night in football, anybody can beat anybody! It would sure make for some good Football!
Up until the early 00's anyone in the SMC could beat each other any given night. This was the first football season in years anyone could say that. I hope that the conference will remain competitive top to bottom next season.

Reactions: SMC REDNECK
[QUOTE="mbdfan, Last year Murphy really struggled to even piece a team together. It was so bad that one kid, who to my knowledge had never played organized basketball before, actually got meaningful minutes due to a lack viable players coming out for the team. For things to get that point and no consideration towards heading the program in a different direction,[/QUOTE]
That kid was my oldest son Zack and truthfully he had next to no basketball experience. Now to his credit he was very athletic and defended and rebounded well but was no threat offensively. He playing time was due to no one probably played harder.
In saying that I believe Murphy's and Hayesville's situation is due to the culture at the schools. Murphy -football, Hayesville -basketball. It reminds me when I was in school the school I attended was transitioning from basketball heavy to football. I came into high school 3 years after James Worthy had graduated from our school. Now after him coming through the talent level definitely dropped but the culture stayed basketball heavy for a while and gradually leveled out. I don't know enough about either school's history to speculate to much but being smaller it might take longer to balance those cultures. I can't say much for Hayesville but the focus of Murphy is football.

Part of it is culture but that's not a valid excuse for how bad Hayesville football and Murphy basketball have been recently.

Both have shown in the recent past that they can compete for state titles in basketball (Murphy) and football (Hayesville), so I don't buy that culture is the reason they are so bad in those sports right now.

To me the culture thing is simply a scapegoat for substandard coaching. There are more than enough athletes in the hallways of Hayesville and Murphy to be competitive in all the major sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT