ADVERTISEMENT

1AA Playoffs Round 2:North Stanly VS Murphy

What a wild one, even more than i expected. Just a crazy night. The good - north’s stadium was better than expected. Not close to ALB, but nice venue. RB for Comets is a beast. Barry Sanders type. Kid is flat out good. 52 is all said to be and Rush is a very very good player. NS is very good, very good. Lots of talent. Murphy has some talent for sure, great QB, and 32 is my type of player, relentless and all over field. Both coaching staffs were excellent. In the end Murphy did what championship programs do, they went down the field and answered, made a stop, then put the game away. Never panicked, never waivered, just executed.
The bad - NS was so cocky and mouthy it was easy to see why so many fans from other schools were there pulling against them. I mean please, win a state playoff game past the 1st round. I mean from walking in and seeing a player with his shirt off during the entire warm ups, to the mouth on the field, it was ridiculous. Maybe the kid forgot his undershirt I don’t know. But if it was meant to intimidate Murphy - we’ll get in the weight room, and Murphy doesn’t get intimidated. Let’s add the Comet fans heckling the injured Murphy player. Embarrassing. NS, from the lack of organization of the national anthem to the attitudes acted like they had never been there.

And fans, please, yelling at the NS coaches! Those guys did a great job other than some of the discipline. I mean plenty of schools around the state will take them off your hands. My favorites were the three guys up at the school yelling from outside the fence. I mean at least pay to get in if you’re gonna scream at your coaches. And then the Murphy fan yelling about Gentry being a bad coach. I mean what’s the guy won? 10 titles? But 99% of the Dog fans were great though I expected many more of them. To top it off we go to a store in Richfield on the way out and they blasting NS coaches as well. Saying they could not believe they lost to Murphy and to a Mountain team. It was obvious this section of Stanly County, unlike the others, has little knowledge if high school football in NC.
Great night, could have been a western finals game honestly, the teams were that good. I full anticipate seeing Murphy in the finals though ES and MA are very very tough teams.

You said it all Griddle....NS biggest issue has always been giving their coaching staff hell....They had a great year and still their on their coaches backs..Will they ever learn????

I doubt it. And I will say this. That coaching staff would have Albemarle back at the top sooner rather than later. I was that impressed with them.

MHS88, yes it was. And it was adults and kids alike. Just classless. NS’s 22 was down on Murphy’s sidelines. You heard nothing from Murphy’s players, coaches, and fans. In fact, when he got up, they were actually cheering and encouraging him on. That was very impressive and earned much respect from me and others

I doubt it. And I will say this. That coaching staff would have Albemarle back at the top sooner rather than later. I was that impressed with them.

They have an excellent coaching staff I’ll give’em that...but so does Albemarle..we’re coming..

Reactions: Buddy Rich
Don’t get me wrong sway, it was not to degrade the Alb staff. Only to compliment the NS. And after what I saw last night, I’m looking forward to the Blue Dogs return.

Congratulations to Murphy they outlasted North made a few stops and scored last 2 tds...It doesnt take anything away from North and what they did this year..Just gonna have to work harder in the off season Next year and come back Stronger!! I will be pulling for Murphy the rest of the way..Think we will see Murphy VS Tarboro in the State Championship

Mount Airy is a very good team. But if and when they (or ES) best Murphy, that is when I believe Murphy will not be playing Tarboro for the title

I gotta give credit to the NS staff for being great to our radio crew.. From the principal, AD, the parking attendandt, the nice lady ticket taker...ALL treated us very well. Just an awesome game to call. For the first time we gave the MVP to the entire Murphy team.....That's a brutal drive all in one day 532 miles round trip to my door....Davis real deal at RB for North. Thats a Saturday player....considering the high stakes it was a tribute to both teams with the quality of play....U know its gonna be a another classic when E Surry comes to THE HILL next week.

Yes they moved the local radio crew into the high school in one of the science classrooms and they did a great job with not the best vantage spot to broadcast the game.

Odds are you will have every opportunity to be right. From what I’ve seen of Mount Airy, and from Murphy, there is no doubt Murphy is better, and you will be wrong. But anything can happen on a given night. East Surry could upset Murphy. They are very good and very well coached. IMO, Murphy beat the 3rd best 1A team in the state last night. With Tarboro being 1 and Murphy being 2. North Stanly could have easily been playing Tarboro for a state title and giving them a fit. In fact I think North Stanly matches up better with Tarboro than they did Murphy.

Last edited:
West stokes, East Surry, Polk about it
Also 2A North Surry who they beat and was the conference champion of the Western Piedmont Conference.That was Nort Surry's only regular season lose.
Mount Airy won 42 to 10... Also beat East Surry 30 to 20 and they will play Murphy Friday night in the 3rd round.
Aug 18. Starmount 1A
25. @ West Stokes 2A
Sept. 1 @ Elkin 1A
8.Morehead 3A
15.North Surry 2A
22. @ *Surry Central 2A
Oct. 6 *North Stokes 1A
13. @ *South Stokes 1A
20. @ *WSPrep 1A
27. *Bishop 1A
Nov. 3. @ *East Surry
Nov.17 Polk Co.
All Wins

Last edited:
MHS88, yes it was. And it was adults and kids alike. Just classless. NS’s 22 was down on Murphy’s sidelines. You heard nothing from Murphy’s players, coaches, and fans. In fact, when he got up, they were actually cheering and encouraging him on. That was very impressive and earned much respect from me and others
Griddie we are used to them fans from NS by now and y'all are lucky that they didn't start fighting each other in the stands

Reactions: Buddy Rich
Judging from the ones I saw it would have sounded like a giant pillow fight

Let's not talk about schedule strength. No one in the NWC plays home schools and the like. Murphy has a good team as does Mt. Airy, regardless of who each team has played. This is Mt.Airy's year. They're 12-0 for a reason. They will need to take care of business against BC then worry about Murphy. Murphy should take care of business against East Surry.

No way you can say this is their year. We don’t know who’s year it is. I say Murphy wins it. But just like you, I don’t know. It will be decided by the kids and coaches on the field.

Griddie, what have you saw from Mt. Airy that makes you sure of a Murphy win? It's certainly not any losses. However the NWC is a fairly weak conference except for Mt.Airy and East Surry. I have no doubt that Mt.Airy would be undefeated playing the same schedule that Murphy played. Yes, I think they would have beaten Franklin as well. Mt. Airy and Murphy have the best chance to upset Tarboro if and when either team plays them. Tarboro does have a pretty good track record once they get to the ship game. I watched them handle Carver in it a few years ago.

In no way am I sure they will win. I think they will win. But if Mount Airy wins I will not be surprised. I saw MA last year at WM and was impressed. They have a lot of talent back from that team, and I’ve watched videos. I think Murphy is a bit better. It I could be wrong. MA will be at home if they play. I think it would be a great match up that could go either way.

Griddie, If I choose to think and say it's Mt.Airy's year to come out of the West, then that's my business. You're entitled to think the same way of whomever you choose. Whether it's right or wrong. It's called an opinion. Last I checked, I and yourself are entitled to those.

I certainly respect Murphy. I know they're a great team. Gonna be tough for anyone in 1aa to beat Mt.Airy at home though.

Agreed. One will be right, one will be wrong. Could be either way. Hopefully we get to see it. Will be a great game

Reactions: DaBluePrint1
Heck, Murphy is intimidating to anyone they play. Whether they're home or away. This is their year as well talent wise.

Swain dominated Murphy and I'm sure you thought Swain would beat Bessemer City right? Yep, I thought WC would beat Pisgah..so what..I still wasn't impressed with Pisgah..Franklin barely beat Pisgah twice..Franklin beat Murphy correct..This is the thing NCnole..im sure you don't play..nor do I, but we can all debate on whether a team will lose or win..and guess what..neither you nor I can determine the outcome..it's your opinion to think as you see fit. It is mine as well my man..LOL..So you can copy and paste my post..and throw shade..but at the end of the day..youre an armchair qb..just like me... though you strongly oppose my opinions..just remember it's a messageboard..it's not Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune..so let me know when you get paid for picking a team correctly and having an opinion. I've picked wrong several times..and I'm sure will pick wrong again..LOL. I like how you take the time to always respond though..LOL...Good luck to Murphy and The Mountain teams..Now Nole get off my jock. Just make sure your money's on Franklin when they play Hibriten. I saw Pisgah struggle to beat WC yes they got an insurance score to win by that margin at the end. Im sure Murphy is legit. But do you think that a team plays their best game of the year each week? Did Pisgah have an off night when they played Murphy? Did Franklin have an off night when they barely beat Murphy? Did Murphy have an off night when Swain beat them? Did Swain have off night when Cherokee utterly destroyed them? WC played their worst game of the year against Pisgah..and was definitely more than in the game the entire time. I was there, not sure if you were. No excuses WC still lost. Just saying..it's all talk on here..I still think Mt.Airy will beat Murphy at Mt.Airy if they play..I still think Hibriten will send Franklin packing on Friday night. I will enjoy Crow if neither pans out.

Last edited:
East Surry was leading Mt Airy 21-17 going into the 4th qt a few weeks ago. 14 unanswered by the Bears in the 4th propelled them to the 31-21 win. Murphy will need another strong performance to advance to the semi final rd.

Reactions: ES_Cards
Swain dominated Murphy and I'm sure you thought Swain would beat Bessemer City right? Yep, I thought WC would beat Pisgah..so what..I still wasn't impressed with Pisgah..Franklin barely beat Pisgah twice..Franklin beat Murphy correct..This is the thing NCnole..im sure you don't play..nor do I, but we can all debate on whether a team will lose or win..and guess what..neither you nor I can determine the outcome..it's your opinion to think as you see fit. It is mine as well my man..LOL..So you can copy and paste my post..and throw shade..but at the end of the day..youre an armchair qb..just like me... though you strongly oppose my opinions..just remember it's a messageboard..it's not Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune..so let me know when you get paid for picking a team correctly and having an opinion. I've picked wrong several times..and I'm sure will pick wrong again..LOL. I like how you take the time to always respond though..LOL...Good luck to Murphy and The Mountain teams..Now Nole get off my jock. Just make sure your money's on Franklin when they play Hibriten. I saw Pisgah struggle to beat WC yes they got an insurance score to win by that margin at the end. Im sure Murphy is legit. But do you think that a team plays their best game of the year each week? Did Pisgah have an off night when they played Murphy? Did Franklin have an off night when they barely beat Murphy? Did Murphy have an off night when Swain beat them? Did Swain have off night when Cherokee utterly destroyed them? WC played their worst game of the year against Pisgah..and was definitely more than in the game the entire time. I was there, not sure if you were. No excuses WC still lost. Just saying..it's all talk on here..I still think Mt.Airy will beat Murphy at Mt.Airy if they play..I still think Hibriten will send Franklin packing on Friday night. I will enjoy Crow if neither pans out.

I get your an excited Mount Airy cheerleader but let's get some things right. Swain far from dominated Murphy . If anything call it what u want murphy shooting there self in the foot with penalties or an overzealous ref that called 7 helmet to helmet penalties to move swain down field all night. Murphy was driving inside Swains 20 late in the game when the kid made a mistake and ran the wrong way and put us in 4th and 76 .

But by all means carry on with your nonsense I didn't realize losing by 2 points was getting dominated.

Last edited:
Loss is a loss Nole...as far all your post..lol..blah..blah..blah..as well..No love there my man...LOL. ALL I know Mt.Airy is undefeated and Murphy is not dude.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT