ADVERTISEMENT

1AA Playoffs Round 2:North Stanly VS Murphy

NSCometFan1975

Jul 28, 2013
Albemarle
This game is a toss up to me..North has to play there best game of the year..Defense is key in this one. Norths defense has played great all year, but we havent played a smash mouth Mountain team the likes of Murphy. North has been good at watching film and shutting down teams especially in the 2nd half this year. We are gonna have to do that for all 4 quarters. This team is hungry for a championship. I think the 5 hour drive to New London will Fatigue Murphy a bit but not much..I still gotta go with my Comets in this one

Comets 35 Murphy 27

Offensively Murphy has too much fire power. North Stanley has had a great season but I wouldn't want to get in a shoot out with Murphy. Haven't seen either team play but I think you have to hold Murphy to three tds...to have a chance.

Albemarle knows how we handle those long bus rides taking 2 at their place. Win or lose Dogs will come to play and are known for bringing it for 4 qtrs until the final horn blows. Good luck to the Comets, looking forward to playing someone new and a darn good team at that. Our fans travel extremely well should be a big crowd and a great atmosphere

Reactions: Dogs9 and mbdfan
On paper North Stanly is the best team Murphy has played this year besides Franklin. 'Dogs will need to bring their A game to win.

Reactions: smcdogfan
we havent played a smash mouth Mountain team the likes of Murphy.
I would agree that Murphy can be smashmouth offensively when they want to be with a deep stable of backs, but this group is pretty athletic too. 'Dogs can air the ball out pretty good as well with a senior Shrine Bowl QB and a group of tall veteran receivers (top two WR's are a 6'2 junior and a 6'3 senior, as well as a 6'2 senior TE).

Last edited:
Yeah I️ wouldn’t label Murphy smash mouth but if you stop the run they are very capable of throwing it. I️ don’t see this game close probably Murphy by 21. No reason to think other wise

I have a couple questions for the Murphy crowd.

1. Pre-season all the hype was Murphy may have their best team ever. Does this still stand true?

2. Offensively Murphy is very explosive. Does Murphy have the athletes on defense to make them a championship team or do they have to outscore everyone?

3. How would you rank leadership, competitiveness to your state championship teams from years past?

Anyone can be beat on any givin night!! Anybody!!! North better be ready to scrap, Murphy very scrappy!!!!

1) No, lack of defensive leadership, inconsistent defensive play. Unlimited potential and a dangerous team when they bring their A game.

2) Yes probably one of the more athletic secondaries you will face alot of the receivers go both ways in the secondary . Strong outside linebacker play with McTaggert and Roberts . Dline has been inconsistent when they bring it they bring it .

3) Offensive leadership you want find a qb calmer, not afraid of a big stage, and more influential. Rb by committee and they would all start at any other school .

A leader on defense does need to step up. Losing Adam Powell from last year no one has yet to step into that role.

Competitiveness they have got up to play great teams, they have played down to the competition of lesser teams this year.

This team is as dangerous as it comes when they bring their A game . Very dynamic offense that can hurt you in multiple ways. Not quite the same dominant defense of last year.

These are just my observations as a fan .

Last edited:
I have a couple questions for the Murphy crowd.

1. Pre-season all the hype was Murphy may have their best team ever. Does this still stand true?

2. Offensively Murphy is very explosive. Does Murphy have the athletes on defense to make them a championship team or do they have to outscore everyone?

3. How would you rank leadership, competitiveness to your state championship teams from years past?
I'll answer these in order:

#1 I don't think anyone said that, it just got misconstrued by idiots like RichBlackman. What was said is talent wise this could be "one of" Murphy's best teams post '80's. Murphy will never have a team as good their '86 and '87 teams. Those teams had a player who was a national player of the year and went to Tennessee and followed that with an All Pro NFL career, that was in addition to a player who went to NC State and started as a redshirt freshman there and would've also probably went to the NFL if not for career ending knee injuries in college. As well as two players that went to App State, another that went to Western Carolina and a couple of more that played D2 and bunch of just really good high school level players. That was one of the best teams to ever come through the mountains, regardless of classification.

#2 Yes I think Murphy has enough athletes on defense to win a state title. I don't think they are as good defensively as last year but that's mainly because the best defensive player in 1A last year IMO was Murphy DT Adam Powell and he graduated, he was always going to be impossible to replace. Murphy's second best player on defense last year FS Colton Posey also graduated. With that said this group has shown they can be very good, they played extremely well in non conference but leveled off considerably during conference play against mostly weaker competition, for whatever reason. The last three games though I feel like they've gotten back on track and look a lot more like the defense that dominated a pretty decent Pisgah team week 1 and did a real good job against Franklin week 2, if they can play like that they have enough defense to compete for a title.

#3 I think that's probably been the biggest difference in last year's team and this year's imo. I think last year's team had more leadership, especially on the defensive side of the ball and I also feel they played with more fire, again on the defensive side of the ball. This year's Murphy team has more talent than last year's team but I think last year's team played with more of an edge and more aggression. I think at times this year's team has shown signs of that but it's been inconsistent, it's seems they turned a corner in that regard after the loss at Swain though and I think getting back one of their key senior leaders on defense DB Tanner Creelman (who had been out since the first half of the Pisgah game week 1) was a big part of that.

Kinda feel Murphy was like Alabama slept through most of season got hit in mouth woke up and now will roll. Swain too . What a day it be if Cherokee and Murphy played for state . Might fill the lower bowl at nc state lol

Last edited:
The 5 hour ride will not bother Murphy at all and on top of that will bring a good crowd with them. I think North keeps it close for a half but Murphy has too much for the Comets plus they are used to playing in games like this.

That is pretty good insight. I really think Murphy will represent the west and their best football has yet to be played. Good luck to north Stanley keep that dream season going.

I really think Murphy best football has yet to be played.
I definitely agree with that, even in the games that Murphy has played relatively well (Pisgah, Franklin, Cherokee) there's been something missing. Whether it was penalties (tons against all three of those teams) or special teams ('Dogs special teams were bad against Pisgah and Franklin).

If this team ever puts together a complete performance they will be really really tough to stop. On the other side of the coin if they don't clean up the penalties (11 first half penalties Friday against South Stanly) they aren't going to beat the elite teams in 1AA.

Last edited:
There is one thing everyone might not understand. 5 hrs on a bus is hard on a kid even kids from Murphy. Should be a good state playoff game. Looks like record attendance is expected

MHS makes the bus trip to Rosman every other year which isn't 5 hours but seems like 10 on a bus.The bus ride shouldn't affect them much, if any.Penalties are another story.They are a discipline problem in my opinion.I know the players commit them but it is up to the coaching staff to keep them in check.

Last edited:
16-17yr old kid is the big reason for penalties. It really doesn’t matter how much u travel from year to year. No team should have to travel 5 hrs except in championship game. It will make some difference

Imo no this isn't MURPHY best team ever..not close..but they are very good..and they know how to travel..they fear no one and expect to win..and if N Stanly hasn't played the wing T before they are in trouble ..i look for this to be over by half..im pulling like heck for murphy and swain...they dodge no one ...on the other hand not so much for Cherokee and robbinsville..good luck Dogs..
MHS 42
NS 14

Wir don’t worry your run about to be over when you quit playing the teams you beat up on all year.

Cherokee took the 6 hr drive to north duplin didn’t effect them much and we had more fans which seemed like a home game

Last edited:
I aint over looking Murphy but if yall do win this game it will not be 42-14..I can bet that..We aint South Stanly..North has 3 or 4 legit Div 1 players on this team and they play sound defense.I look for a close game whoever wins

Last edited:
I aint over looking Murphy but if yall do win this game it will not be 42-14..I can bet that..We aint South Stanly..North has 5 or 6 legit Div 1 players on this team and they play sound defense.I look for a close game whoever wins
Ol lort another rich with D1's

Reactions: Cold Biscuit
That's D1 stuff ain't going to matter sir. Unless they are going to Alabama, then we can talk. But it sounds good.

I aint over looking Murphy but if yall do win this game it will not be 42-14..I can bet that..We aint South Stanly..North has 5 or 6 legit Div 1 players on this team and they play sound defense.I look for a close game whoever wins
I don’t know who you are thinking are D1 prospects but they do not have 5 or 6 on this team. Davis is the closest thing to a D1 prospect but I don’t know if he has the size. He is good but there is a big difference in 1A football and D1 football. If North had that many prospects they wouldn’t have got beat by NW Cabarrus and they shut Davis down. Good luck Friday night but Murphy will be hard to beat .

1 I don't think anyone said that, it just got misconstrued by idiots like RichBlackman. What was said is talent wise this could be "one of" Murphy's best teams post '80's. Murphy will never have a team as good their '86 and '87 teams. Those teams had a player who was a national player of the year and went to Tennessee and followed that with an All Pro NFL career, that was in addition to a player who went to NC State and started as a redshirt freshman there and would've also probably went to the NFL if not for career ending knee injuries in college. As well as two players that went to App State, another that went to Western Carolina and a couple of more that played D2 and bunch of just really good high school level players. That was one of the best teams to ever come through the mountains, regardless of classification.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

No way Murphy is as good as those teams, no way. With that said, they are very good and win by three touchdowns

I don't think they are overlooking North Stanly, it's just these guys know what talent looks like. They have had many championship teams, and many championship caliber teams that camera up short. A few Mitchell fans (myself included) and the team underestimated the bulldogs last year, and we payed for it. NS has had a dream season, and I am rooting for you guys to get to the ship, but realistically speaking, Murphy is too good. I am also pulling for Murphy as for all of WNC.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
I agree with this. I think a TD either way decides it. I'm going with Murphy due to big game experience and skill position depth but won't be surprised if NS wins.

One big key for Murphy, IMO, is to come out and match North's intensity in the first few minutes of the game. Playing at home, North will come out sky high and Murphy will need to match that intensity and not get into an early hole. If Murphy weathers the early storm and plays their game, they should be fine.
North is known for starting slow..They have been a second half team all year..They have to come ready to play all 4 quarters when playing Murphy and that great team and coach they have

Will North be selling tickets in advance for Friday night game? If so take my money!

Even though I dislike NS....I’d like to see them get a win here. I believe NS defense is better than the 2011-2012 Albemarle defense...we’ll see

Reactions: 4yds-cloud-dust
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT