ADVERTISEMENT

1a womens bball

rfjowers

Jul 18, 2012
With Winston Salem Preps Reign of terror over who will be the next 1a champion? Look a little deeper in that conference. No not Bishop, but Mt. Airy! This has to be the best 1a conference in the state. With 12 years of dominance in 1a WBB. Also with Riverside on the East best player coming off a ACL and possible transfer. I dont see anyone who can compete except for Bishop and Atkins.

It's gonna be a strange year for sure. I do think Mt. Airy, Atkins, and Bishop could have excellent years. However, there's a few other teams I'm intrigued/wondering about.....

I wonder if Cherokee and Robbinsville will be strong again. I also wonder if Andrews and/or Rosman will be able to challenge them.

What about Elkin/East Wilkes? We're they flashes in the pan? Or will they be good once again?

I also think South Davidson will be a team to watch out for. They've got a good core and they're led by a very dynamic player.

Don't know too much about the East....but....I will say watch out for Roxboro Community. They should make another deep run.

Basketball just can't get here soon enough (well....the scholastic edition, that is.....)

Last edited:
As for WSP, I'm not expecting much....but.....ya never know. With Forsyth County, ya just never know who'll pop up where at any given time.

It's gonna be a strange year for sure. I do think Mt. Airy, Atkins, and Bishop could have excellent years. However, there's a few other teams I'm intrigued/wondering about.....

I wonder if Cherokee and Robbinsville will be strong again. I also wonder if Andrews and/or Rosman will be able to challenge them.

What about Elkin/East Wilkes? We're they flashes in the pan? Or will they be good once again?

I also think South Davidson will be a team to watch out for. They've got a good core and they're led by a very dynamic player.

Don't know too much about the East....but....I will say watch out for Roxboro Community. They should make another deep run.

Basketball just can't get here soon enough (well....the scholastic edition, that is.....)

Looks like Cherokee just got better.

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/...27/big-time-transfer-cherokee-girls/86423352/

Cherokee girls should definitely be a title contender, they only lost 3 seniors
In which only 2 got significant playing time. One of their best 3 point shooters returns as a sophomore and they also return their leading scoring. As well as a former brave returning home from Rabun gap to play her senior year at cherokee. Should be a great year for them

In the SMC Cherokee has reloaded and will be the conference champions. Swain will be next with Andrews battling with Murphy for 3rd since HD coach has taken over the Coaching duties for Murphy. All 4 of these teams will have senior leadership and plenty of experience

Last edited:

Robbinsville lost 2 1000 point scorers, so I think they will fall off a good bit, possibly to the bottom half of of the SMC. Rosman also lost their top 2 scorers, plus their coach resigned, so I expect they will be down next year as well.

Cherokee will be VERY strong. A lot coming back and transfer coming in has been player of the year in the CAA--one of the best private school leagues in the state--the last 2 years.

If you're looking for a dark horse from the far west, it may be Murphy. They were under .500 last year, but the entire team was underclassmen and as Wildcat10fan mentioned, Hiwassee Dam's coach from the past few years will be coaching the Lady Bulldogs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
Robbinsville lost 2 1000 point scorers, so I think they will fall off a good bit, possibly to the bottom half of of the SMC. Rosman also lost their top 2 scorers, plus their coach resigned, so I expect they will be down next year as well.

Cherokee will be VERY strong. A lot coming back and transfer coming in has been player of the year in the CAA--one of the best private school leagues in the state--the last 2 years.

If you're looking for a dark horse from the far west, it may be Murphy. They were under .500 last year, but the entire team was underclassmen and as Wildcat10fan mentioned, Hiwassee Dam's coach from the past few years will be coaching the Lady Bulldogs.

Murphy may be a dark horse as they started to gel last year as they made the SMC finals as a 7 seed. I also hear they are getting two transfers from HD.

I have heard the transfer at Cherokee suffered a knee injury, does anyone know the nature of the injury?

1-Cherokee 2-Swain and Murphy/Robbinsville going for third Andrews 5th Rosman 6th if swain's best player stays. If Swain's best player leaves and Murphy gets some Hiwassee dam girls then Murphy could be second. Also heard Robbinsville's upcoming Freshman Guard may miss the season with an injury if that's true could see them dropping to 5th.

Will someone refresh my memory on the rules of transferring within the conference. I'm not being sarcastic. Is it miss one year from the time of transfer and a change of residence within the boundary of the school you are attending

It's Handbook Section 1.1.10, but the Cliff's Notes version is that, in most cases, a kid can play if they transfer after a bona fide change of residence, but have to sit out 365 days if there is no bona fide change of residence.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
It's Handbook Section 1.1.10, but the Cliff's Notes version is that, in most cases, a kid can play if they transfer after a bona fide change of residence, but have to sit out 365 days if there is no bona fide change of residence.
That's what I thought. The big question is who will police the rule if a infraction has occurred and reported ? I don't want to get into politics but it would probably be like we have rules for the common people and a different set of rules for the Clintons !!! Lol

Remember a student can also transfer to a school that offers a sport that their former school does not offer, such as football or soccer.

And 1.1.10 generally only applies to transfers from member schools (with the exception of one subsection about transferring from a nonmember school to a member school within a certain time period of leaving a different NCHSAA member school, all with with no change of residence). So if a kid leaves an NCISAA school, or had been going to an out-of-state school for some reason, they can also transfer without bona fide change of residence in most cases.

Last edited:
Rville will have a new coach this season. That could hurt a little. I think he coached the lady JVs last season and did very well. 14-2 I think.

Well, It is true !! Murphy did get the big girl ( The Center ) from Hiwassee Dam. With this you can probably move Murphy to the #2 spot in the SMC.. This gives them 3 very big players for their 2-3 zone, if that is what the new coach decides to run. You better have a run and gun team to beat them because they will dominate on the boards Lol. I would like to know who is paying the rent at the Golf Course for their new residence ??? I don't want to hear anybody from Cherokee County complain about transfers at Winston Salem or Robbinsville, Swain etc. The new Coach at Murphy got what he wanted !!! I don't want to hear any excuses or explanations. Strings are still being pulled and loopholes are still in the books. I guess they are no schools left that don't find a way to bend the rules. It's ok, I hope they can sleep at night

We didn't break any rules. We got a Hall kid from Andres and he sit out last year. He could of used his grandparents addresses if he wanted. Glad the school and young man did it the right way.

Murphy had a kid that practice one week then moved back to GA. Reckon he bought and sold a house all in one week. I don't think so. He was probably going be living in someone's basement. Lol

Well, It is true !! Murphy did get the big girl ( The Center ) from Hiwassee Dam. With this you can probably move Murphy to the #2 spot in the SMC.. This gives them 3 very big players for their 2-3 zone, if that is what the new coach decides to run. You better have a run and gun team to beat them because they will dominate on the boards Lol. I would like to know who is paying the rent at the Golf Course for their new residence ??? I don't want to hear anybody from Cherokee County complain about transfers at Winston Salem or Robbinsville, Swain etc. The new Coach at Murphy got what he wanted !!! I don't want to hear any excuses or explanations. Strings are still being pulled and loopholes are still in the books. I guess they are no schools left that don't find a way to bend the rules. It's ok, I hope they can sleep at night

I've always found it helpful for someone to KNOW what they are talking about before they make bold statements. "Who is paying the rent at the golf course?" Seriously? I've know Jessica Beckner and her parents since she was 6 years old. Her father works for the school system and her mother is well-respected in her career field in Polk County, TN. The rules say that the transferring student has to have a change of residence to the new school district in order to not set out a year. Well ..... her parents SOLD their home and MOVED to the Murphy school district. What else can you ask? The 2nd transfer DID NOT have a change of residence and IS sitting out a year. What else can you ask? I didn't hear any Andrews fans complaining when Aaron Devore (6' 6" and 300+lbs) was playing on your offensive and defensive line while living in the Murphy school district. The way I look at that ... his parents wanted him to go to Andrews and they played by the rules that were in-play then. Nothing else that could have been asked of them. Quit being a sore loser (Andrews tried to lure the HD coach to their school) and play with the cards that have been dealt.

Reactions: mbdfan
Murphy had a kid that practice one week then moved back to GA. Reckon he bought and sold a house all in one week. I don't think so. He was probably going be living in someone's basement. Lol

Did the Black Knights not get a transfer from Swain? Whose basement is HE living in. Glass houses Bk, glass houses.

Reactions: mbdfan
I've always found it helpful for someone to KNOW what they are talking about before they make bold statements. "Who is paying the rent at the golf course?" Seriously? I've know Jessica Beckner and her parents since she was 6 years old. Her father works for the school system and her mother is well-respected in her career field in Polk County, TN. The rules say that the transferring student has to have a change of residence to the new school district in order to not set out a year. Well ..... her parents SOLD their home and MOVED to the Murphy school district. What else can you ask? The 2nd transfer DID NOT have a change of residence and IS sitting out a year. What else can you ask? I didn't hear any Andrews fans complaining when Aaron Devore (6' 6" and 300+lbs) was playing on your offensive and defensive line while living in the Murphy school district. The way I look at that ... his parents wanted him to go to Andrews and they played by the rules that were in-play then. Nothing else that could have been asked of them. Quit being a sore loser (Andrews tried to lure the HD coach to their school) and play with the cards that have been dealt.
Well when your own fan base have made the comment that if a kid wants to play for Murphy they are ways around the rules !! What would be the first thing that comes to mind !! I do know this to be a fact ! As far as the family and the child I'm sure they are great people. It's not about them it's about the rules. It will be easy to find out about the home being sold. Anyone can go online through Cherokee County and look at the deed which I will do. As soon as I can do it I will get back to you

Well when your own fan base have made the comment that if a kid wants to play for Murphy they are ways around the rules !! What would be the first thing that comes to mind !! I do know this to be a fact ! As far as the family and the child I'm sure they are great people. It's not about them it's about the rules. It will be easy to find out about the home being sold. Anyone can go online through Cherokee County and look at the deed which I will do. As soon as I can do it I will get back to you
By the way, I'm not a sore loser. I just want a fair and level playing field. Also you have a lineman who is from Andrews and still lives in Andrews !! Maybe you need to check your facts

It's helpful if you know what your talking about also. The swain kid doesn't live in a basement. He live with his father on Snowbird. His father is about 35, always lived in rville and went to school in rville. What more could they do? The mother is in swain County.
The kid followed the rules.

I am interested to see what WSP has this year. Right now I think you would have to look at Cherokee, Bishop, possibly MA as the 3 favs out of the West and I think Riverside out of the East. SD with that core could make it to the semi finals but I think that would depend on match ups.

Interested to know everyone's opinion on the new playoff format?

No one will come close to MA in the NW1A including Bishop. Bishop has been down the last 2 years and will not be as good this year as last

I am interested to see what WSP has this year. Right now I think you would have to look at Cherokee, Bishop, possibly MA as the 3 favs out of the West and I think Riverside out of the East. SD with that core could make it to the semi finals but I think that would depend on match ups.

I too, am interested in seeing how far SD can take it this season. One team I haven't seen mentioned is Plymouth. Don't know how much they have returning but they do have 6-5 Brittany Franklin returning.

Wasn't aware of the new playoff format. What are the main changes?

Cherokee has two girls that just had acl surgery i haven't heard if they will play this season

I too, am interested in seeing how far SD can take it this season. One team I haven't seen mentioned is Plymouth. Don't know how much they have returning but they do have 6-5 Brittany Franklin returning.

Wasn't aware of the new playoff format. What are the main changes?

Let me see if I can find the link to attach as well, but the only guaranteed spots will be the conference champs and conference tourney champs. All other seeds will be determined by winning percentage. Additionally to avoid conference teams playing each other they will split it out west Midwest Mideast east now unlike it was with the pods the #1 team from the west will play the #16 Midwest and the #1 from the Midwest will play the #16 from the west. Additionally the 4 areas will be made up once the 32 teams from the west and 32 teams from the east are set. I hope that makes sense lol.

My thoughts are I like it. It brings importance back to the conference tournament and I think it really makes an effort to avoid the first round conference match ups that all of us don't like. It will mean more travel in the first and second rds potentially but I think it's a step up from the pods we had and from last year. I believe it truly gives us the good things from the last two years. Additionally it will avoid those teams that finished second in a weak conference with a questionable record from getting a higher seed. Not perfect but definitely a step in the right direction.

I've heard both cherokee girls will be back . One before the season the other around Christmas. With these two and what they have coming back they have enough to win it .

Don't sleep on South Davidson at all. A great group of what will be 4 year starters. They have two outstanding players, and should win their conference. They took down Cherokee, and almost took down a good 4A school in north davidson.

Don't sleep on South Davidson at all. A great group of what will be 4 year starters. They have two outstanding players, and should win their conference. They took down Cherokee, and almost took down a good 4A school in north davidson.

Yes South Davidson will be strong again this year I think. I believe they lost 1 out of that core but not sure.

I think favorites you have to look at Cherokee and MA this year. Not sure what Bishop or Atkins has but I think that's where I would look.

South will return 4 of 5 starters. I don't think Bishop will be great this season, they have seemed to hit a wall in terms of success. Coach Robinson has his work cut out for him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT