17. Bishop Mcguiness (13-10)
18. Robbinsville (18-6)
19.South Davidson (15-8)
20. Piedmont Community Charter (14-8)
21. Hayesville (15-10)
22. Swain (10-13)
23. North Moore (14-8)
24. Mountain Island Charter (8-10)

note** They say no 5ths will get in but for the Wild Card Swain is ranked higher than North Stokes. Right now based off rankings I am going with swain we will see if they hold true to the rankings

First Rd
1 Mount Airy vs Bye
16 Alleghany vs 17 Bishop Mcguiness
8 Highlands vs Bye
9 Cherokee vs 24 Mountain Island Charter

4 Murphy vs Bye
13 Albemarle vs 20 Piedmont Comm
5 Union Academy vs Bye
12 Pine Lake Prep vs 21 Hayesville
________________________________________________________________________________

3 Mitchell vs Bye
14 Highland Tech vs 19 South Davidson
6 Graystone vs Bye
11 River Mill vs 22 Swain

2 East Wilkes vs Bye
15 Avery County vs 18 Robbinsville
7 Lincoln Charter vs Bye
10 East Surry vs 23 North Moore

Last edited:
You may be correct but based off the current maxpreps rankings Mount Airy would be the 1 seed and Mitchell the 2, Murphy 3 and E.Wilkes 4.

Not saying that Mitchell is the second best team, just going off the rankings.

West is going to be a beast to come out of, but at this time would go with Mount Airy then Murphy. I would not overlook Cherokee either.

You may be correct but based off the current maxpreps rankings Mount Airy would be the 1 seed and Mitchell the 2, Murphy 3 and E.Wilkes 4.

Not saying that Mitchell is the second best team, just going off the rankings.

West is going to be a beast to come out of, but at this time would go with Mount Airy then Murphy. I would not overlook Cherokee either.
Give me a second I used the wrong format.

Murphy (21-1) has 1 loss to Mtn Heritage. I dont agree with Mitchell being ranked ahead of them, especially after they lost to Madison. Things can change and probably will by seeding time. Murphy still has to play @ Cherokee tomorrow night and a home game against Swain tues night to finish the season. It looks as if Mt Airy will get the coveted home court advantage thru the playoffs.

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
Murphy (21-1) has 1 loss to Mtn Heritage. I dont agree with Mitchell being ranked ahead of them, especially after they lost to Madison. Things can change and probably will by seeding time. Murphy still has to play @ Cherokee tomorrow night and a home game against Swain tues night to finish the season. It looks as if Mt Airy will get the coveted home court advantage thru the playoffs.

Mount airy will most likely get the 1 overall seed. As for the rest like you said this week there will be alot of movement in the 1a west. Additionally I think you can still see Chatham Go east. That Cherokee Murphy game is a big one. Also East Surry and Bishop still have to play Mount airy I think.

Can't say that I disagree with you. Hard to justify a 4 loss team over Murphy. The only thing that I would guess maxpreps is going off of is strength of schedule. Mitchell has only played 3, 1a schools. Still can't figure out how they are 2nd in the rankings.

As you mentioned lots of ball to be played between now and the playoffs. Mitchell has Owen twice this week. They lost to them 3 times last season, so that is definitely not sure wins.

The thing is if Murphy loses at Cherokee tomorrow (certainly possible, Cherokee has really good team) there is no way they will catch Mitchell in the Maxpreps rankings. So Murphy's only shot at the #2 overall seed is to win out and hope for another regular season Mitchell loss.

I'm interested in seeing how far Roxboro Community goes. They're a one-horse team (for the most part). But that horse is tough to corral.

Murphy drops from #3 to #5. Cherokee up to #6 in updated maxpreps poll. Murphy still has to play Swain tonight to finish the season out.

Wouldn't be surprised to see South Davidson beat River Mill. RM's got a nice record but their competition has not been the strongest. They've lost badly to every decent team they've faced.

RM does have some decent size/depth in the post and also a good shooter. Not much else.

Wouldn't be surprised to see South Davidson beat River Mill. RM's got a nice record but their competition has not been the strongest. They've lost badly to every decent team they've faced.

RM does have some decent size/depth in the post and also a good shooter. Not much else.

This Bracket has changed and will be different matchups especially with Cherokee beating Murphy and Albemarle locking the number 2 seed up with more changes to come I think. This is a year I believe there is a lot of parity and especially in the early rounds you are going to see some "upsets" from lower seeds. This time of year is fantastic. I will try to update this bracket tonight or tomorrow again. Definitely as this bracket sets some interesting matchups.

Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
In this setup the first section I really think you would see Graystone and MA play with Ma coming on top.

The second section would be chaotic to a point where you could see SD win but the one in that section I think would make noise is East Surry. East wilkes is a really good team but them and east surry played down to the wire.

In the 3rd section you have Cherokee Murphy and Bishop. I do believe that section would come down to those 3 teams and probably a Murphy Cherokee rematch.

In the 4th section you have Albemarle and Mitchell as well as robbinsville which I don't know much about. But seeing some film on Mitchell that would be an interesting matchup to me.

Also don't sleep on Union Academy this season they are a very good team even though their conference is not that strong. They could be a sleeper and cause some havoc.

Robbinsville took Cherokee to overtime early in season but lost by 20 to braves a few weeks ago.

Mitchell lost last night to Owen last night and will play them again tomorrow. Loss will change thing up and another possible loss tomorrow.

Hey All i just updated the projections. Still a big week ahead. The final rankings will be sent in to NCHSAA Friday night after all games have been completed. So still alot of movement could happen. Some great matchups most definitely

Reactions: wncbowhunter
UPDATED 2/11/18

1. Mount Airy (20-2)
2.East Wilkes (20-3)
3.Mitchell (17-6)
4. Murphy (22-2)
5. Union Academy (21-2)
6. Graystone (19-4)
7. Highland Tech (15-7)
8. Highlands (11-11)

9. Cherokee (14-5)
10. East Surry (13-11)
11. River Mill Academy (18-5)
12. Pine Lake Prep (17-7)
13. Lincoln Charter (13-6)
14. Albemarle (18-6)
15. Hiwassee Dam (3-12)

16. Avery County (14-9)
17. Alleghany (15-9)
18. Bishop Mcguiness (13-10)
19. Robbinsville (18-6)
20. South Davidson (15-8)
21. Piedmont Community Charter (14-8)

22. Hayesville (15-10)
23. North Moore (14-8)
24. Mountain Island Charter (8-10)

First Rd
1 Mount Airy vs Bye
16 Avery County vs 17 Alleghany
8 Highlands vs Bye
9 Cherokee vs 24 Mountain Island Charter

4 Murphy vs Bye
13 Lincoln Charter vs 20 South Davidson
5 Union Academy vs Bye
12 Pine Lake Prep vs 21 Piedmont Comm
________________________________________________________________________________

3 Mitchell vs Bye
14 Albemarle vs 19 Robbinsville
6 Graystone vs Bye
11 River Mill vs 22 Hayesville

2 East Wilkes vs Bye
15 Hiwassee Dam vs 18 Bishop Mcguiness
7 Highland Tech vs Bye
10 East Surry vs 23 North Moore

Lincoln Charter girls got the #1 seed over Highland Tech

I may be wrong, but I believe Little Smoky only gets one automatic bid now, so HD wouldn't be on the 2 line. Thanks for the effort to do this.

I may be wrong, but I believe Little Smoky only gets one automatic bid now, so HD wouldn't be on the 2 line. Thanks for the effort to do this.
I was wondering about that. Conferences with 1-4 teams get 1 auto then the next level 2 teams and bigger conferences like yadkin get 3.

Murphy got the 1 seed in SMC tourney. Looking at the updated brackets, possible 3rd round matchup between Mt Airy/Cherokee. That would be one helluva 3rd rd game.
That east surry/east wilkes game would be as well. I can see a couple of potential upsets. South Davidson and what I have seen of Mitchell could be an interesting game. Hayesville and pine lake prep as well as hayesville and union academy could be very interesting. One game that would intrigue me no bias of course would be Murphy and Albemarle if they met. Polar opposites

Mitchell is interesting to me. One night they can look like a team that can make a deep run, then the next they make way too many unforced mistakes. As been the case for the entire year they typically play hard nosed defense but have a hard time scoring. Looking forward to they playoffs and hopefully getting to play someone different.

Good luck to all and hopefully an injury free tournament.

GO Mountaineers

Mitchell is interesting to me. One night they can look like a team that can make a deep run, then the next they make way too many unforced mistakes. As been the case for the entire year they typically play hard nosed defense but have a hard time scoring. Looking forward to they playoffs and hopefully getting to play someone different.

Good luck to all and hopefully an injury free tournament.

GO Mountaineers

I have seen film of them and they definitely are a good team. I think south Davidson and Mitchell would be a good game to watch. Good shooting and defense.

4th place in the NW1A will be settled tomorrow night @ South Stokes. North Stokes @ South Stokes (South won the draw to host first round)

Not really. I guess the argument could be made that there are relays in track, but I was drawing a distinction at sports where you can't enter individuals even if you don't field a full squad.

Last edited:
Reactions: mbdfan
I think the State Runner up or the State Champion comes from the SMC this year. I hate that Cherokee and Murphy always have to beat each other out because I think they would destroy some of the 1 seeds down east.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
I think the State Runner up or the State Champion comes from the SMC this year. I hate that Cherokee and Murphy always have to beat each other out because I think they would destroy some of the 1 seeds down east.

Can't forget about the defending 1A state champs who return their whole starting 5 from last years title.

Murphy and Cherokee are going to be really tough outs for sure. Murphy
Murphy and Cherokee will be tough outs for sure. Murphy took a very good MA team to the wire. The favorite in my eyes is MA. Until somebody in 1a can knock them off but cherokee and Murphy both have the capabilities to do so.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT