ADVERTISEMENT

1A 1a West Girls Playoff matchups

You gotta be related to the Franklin kid, thats all you ever talk about.
No I'm actually not. Coached her in wreck ball and have followed all of those girls for a long time. I knew they would be good. All you ever talk about sutphin and how nobody can guard her. I'm telling you what I have seen and know. Just because somebody does not shoot the ball 20 or 25 times a game does not mean they are not good.

No I'm actually not. Coached her in wreck ball and have followed all of those girls for a long time. I knew they would be good. All you ever talk about sutphin and how nobody can guard her. I'm telling you what I have seen and know. Just because somebody does not shoot the ball 20 or 25 times a game does not mean they are not good.
You don't play in the e60 cause you suck lol.

Must have me confused wit somebody else, I never said nothing about the Sutphin girl. I never even seen her play.

Must have me confused wit somebody else, I never said nothing about the Sutphin girl. I never even seen her play.
I'm sorry then sir. There is one person that is all they talk about. And nobody around our area gets any respect. Maybe I just need to read comments and not comment just to keep the peace. I apologize.

I disagree survivor. I believe pretty much everyone on this board believes Avery is a strong team and comes from a tough conference (if you know anything about girls b-ball). People can’t argue that point. However, you can’t also argue a point that Sutphin is a very strong player and may be one of the strongest players in 1A. She’s signed with an ACC program that is doing really well.

Reactions: wncbowhunter
NW is the best basketball conference in 1A hands down boys and girls 3 of the 4 state titles the past 2 seasons have come back to the NW Conference and its looking like 2 more could be on the way this year.
Lol, you’re actually going to hype your conference because WSP boys goes deep every year! Lmao!! Giving props to mount airy girls but E surry has done what? Congrats on landing one of the best girls in the state but...... the best 1a conference In the state!? Whatever you say!

Reactions: AHVikingNation
A lot has to happen for avery and es to meet. But there will be no double teams. Maybe backside help. I would to see sutphin and Franklin head to head. Never seen nobody score more than 6 or 7 points against Franklin. Includes high school and travel ball. And the e60 best players in nc last year where it was all 3a and 4a players except 5 small school players
Emmm. Franklin is a very good player no question, but I’ve got my hip boots on cause it’s getting pretty deep! But I’m pretty sure Johnson from Mitchell put up 20 at Avery with Franklin on her.

Well considering the last 15 state champions in 1a girls have come from the NW1A with East Surry also winning one in 2001 and a good chance to add another this year, I would say they have a pretty strong argument for best conference that no other in 1A can lay claim to.

Reactions: sbbbfan
Nobody is saying Avery isn’t a very good team with good players but if you truly think stopping Sutphin will be that simple is a huge mistake I understand believing in your girls but you also have to be realistic she’s the number 2 ranked girl in NC and 48 in the country nobody is stopping her by themselves. I think Avery vs ES will be a hell of a game not writing y’all off in any way, you take things way too far out of proportion.

Lol, you’re actually going to hype your conference because WSP boys goes deep every year! Lmao!! Giving props to mount airy girls but E surry has done what? Congrats on landing one of the best girls in the state but...... the best 1a conference In the state!? Whatever you say!
You are right, East Surry hasn’t done much in girls basketball since 2010. Before that they had a run of 3-4 Western Finals and a state title all between 2001-2009. As for the conference you refuse to give credit to, you may want to check your facts first. The NW1A has won 13 straight girls state titles (14 of the last 18). The NW1A has won 6 boys titles in the past 13 years. In at least 3 of the past 13 years the girls western final has been an all NW1A matchup. During the last 13 years in boys basketball the Western champion has come from the NW1A 9 times (Prep, Bishop, & N.Stokes). There has been a NW1A team in the boys Western Finals in 12 of the last 13 years and at least once the Western Finals was an all NW1A showdown (2013). Hard to rationally argue against facts. Night in, night out for over a decade the NW1A has been the best boys and girls Conference in the state in 1A. Will that continue this year? Who knows. However the #1 seed in both boys and girls again are from the NW1A. There’s a strong possibility you could see those teams in the Western Finals or beyond this year.

Nobody is saying Avery isn’t a very good team with good players but if you truly think stopping Sutphin will be that simple is a huge mistake I understand believing in your girls but you also have to be realistic she’s the number 2 ranked girl in NC and 48 in the country nobody is stopping her by themselves. I think Avery vs ES will be a hell of a game not writing y’all off in any way, you take things way too far out of proportion.
Do I? Or do you?

Do I? Or do you?
Definitely you, you’re acting like Avery is getting no credit when I fully expect either them or Murphy to be in the western conference championship your acting like they are being written off completely just because ES is the favorite when they have proven that they should be, that doesn’t mean Avery isn’t getting credit or respect

Good luck and safe travels to all teams tonight!!! Let the games begin should be an awesome playoff with a bunch of great matchups.

Interesting enough was watching a playoff breakdown over the east last night and no mention of Bishop. Personally I think Bishop at least goes to the 3rd round in the east. Any thoughts on that?

Good luck and safe travels to all teams tonight!!! Let the games begin should be an awesome playoff with a bunch of great matchups.

Interesting enough was watching a playoff breakdown over the east last night and no mention of Bishop. Personally I think Bishop at least goes to the 3rd round in the east. Any thoughts on that?
After watching MA vs Pamlico last year I wouldn’t be surprised to see bishop come out of the East

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
After watching MA vs Pamlico last year I wouldn’t be surprised to see bishop come out of the East
It could happen and wouldn’t surprise me a bit. To me that will be the story. You have north Moore south Davidson and bishop all east. Of course North Moore and Bishop play each other out of the gate but SD is capable of going 2-3 rounds depending on matchups.

Just a question on the NW1A State titles, so I don't have to look them up. How many of the girls 14 titles were won by Bishop and how many won by WSP?

No denying this conference is a 1A powerhouse.

What about the titles on the boys side of the bracket.

Many will contend that both WSP and Bishop are not traditional 1A schools, and are the backbone of the conference, but the other teams have pitched in a brought a few titles into the mix. As far as myself and a WHC fan, I would have to say that we have no bragging rights over the NW1A at all. For this year, I do think the WHC was a tougher conference, but we are also a split 1A/2A conference. Hopefully the WHC or SMC can send a good match-up to East Surry, to play what should be a great game to watch.

Many will contend that both WSP and Bishop are not traditional 1A schools, and are the backbone of the conference, but the other teams have pitched in a brought a few titles into the mix. As far as myself and a WHC fan, I would have to say that we have no bragging rights over the NW1A at all. For this year, I do think the WHC was a tougher conference, but we are also a split 1A/2A conference. Hopefully the WHC or SMC can send a good match-up to East Surry, to play what should be a great game to watch.
Bishop had an unheard of run 9 straight titles is crazy.

Hey all we have a great playoffs kicking off tonight with a bunch of good basketball teams let’s keep that the topic. This years playoff is too good to revisit the past

There were some seasons during Bishop's 9 year run that they didn't even win the conference but won the state title. Heck, one year Mt. Airy beat the absolute snot out of them twice during the regular season and then in the conference tourney...beat the snot out of them only to meet in the second round of the state with Bishop winning 50-49 on a very controversial charging call at the buzzer. The year before Mt. Airy beat the snot out of them only to unexpectedly lose to Mitchell in the western semi with Bishop beating Mitchell the next day in the western final, otherwise there would be several more banners in Mt. Airy. In the early years of Bishop's run East Surry was absolutely the second best team in the state. If Bishop wasn't in the tourney there would be several more banners hanging in the gym in Pilot Mountain. That's how good the NW1A has been.

Actually I didn’t TD heritage asked a question read the comments
As I said I just posted a fact explaining with a fact website that explained how far back it went. So no problem, Just hope you remember what you read with the truth backing it up with facts. . Just expect BS to justify the wins. I got some beach front property in Montana I will give you a great deal on if you believe that response over mine. Y'all carry on I will stay out.

Last edited:
There were some seasons during Bishop's 9 year run that they didn't even win the conference but won the state title. Heck, one year Mt. Airy beat the absolute snot out of them twice during the regular season and then in the conference tourney...beat the snot out of them only to meet in the second round of the state with Bishop winning 50-49 on a very controversial charging call at the buzzer. The year before Mt. Airy beat the snot out of them only to unexpectedly lose to Mitchell in the western semi with Bishop beating Mitchell the next day in the western final, otherwise there would be several more banners in Mt. Airy. In the early years of Bishop's run East Surry was absolutely the second best team in the state. If Bishop wasn't in the tourney there would be several more banners hanging in the gym in Pilot Mountain. That's how good the NW1A has been.
Speaking of Mitchell. All 3 games with Avery have been 1 or 2 point games at the half. And Avery only by 4 after 3 quarters on thur night. If they meet in 2nd round and the game is 5 points or less going into 4th. I like Mitchell for the upset, well not really an upset. Imo this game could go either way. I have seen a double digit seeded Mitchell team win it all in 2a girls before.

Speaking of Mitchell. All 3 games with Avery have been 1 or 2 point games at the half. And Avery only by 4 after 3 quarters on thur night. If they meet in 2nd round and the game is 5 points or less going into 4th. I like Mitchell for the upset, well not really an upset. Imo this game could go either way. I have seen a double digit seeded Mitchell team win it all in 2a girls before.
Somebody said if Mitchell can get over hump. Actually can Avery get over the hump. Avery has had decent teams in the past. Never got far except final 8 in 2008, and final four in 2017. Mitchell has had several final four and final 8 appearances. 3 of those appearances when I was in high school, and 2 state titles in 1996 and 2003. The 96 team could have won state in 3a lol. Avery has never been to a state championship game at all. And Mitchell will be good for many years. This is Avery's best group of girls in their school's 53 year history. And I don't see Avery being good for a very long time.

Emmm. Franklin is a very good player no question, but I’ve got my hip boots on cause it’s getting pretty deep! But I’m pretty sure Johnson from Mitchell put up 20 at Avery with Franklin on her.
Avery has not played man to man the whole game against Mitchell. Johnson is great though. You guys are lucky to have her. She played for avery up until high school

Avery has not played man to man the whole game against Mitchell. Johnson is great though. You guys are lucky to have her. She played for avery up until high school
I tell you somebody that could have guarded sutphin. Do you Mitchell fans remember Emily paffrath from the 2003 state championship team. Now that girl was athletic. 6'2 shot blocking and rebounding machine. Also, could run the floor with guards. Can't remember where she played college ball. Maybe lenoir-rhyne can't remember. She went to state multiple times in track in the hurdles. Also, played volleyball I think. I remember listening to the state championship game between Mitchell and red springs. She run those 3 6 footers in the ground. You have a lot to be proud of Mitchell fans. Leslie burleson, tiffany hall, and many others. Some of the best basketball players I have ever seen in person!!

I tell you somebody that could have guarded sutphin. Do you Mitchell fans remember Emily paffrath from the 2003 state championship team. Now that girl was athletic. 6'2 shot blocking and rebounding machine. Also, could run the floor with guards. Can't remember where she played college ball. Maybe lenoir-rhyne can't remember. She went to state multiple times in track in the hurdles. Also, played volleyball I think. I remember listening to the state championship game between Mitchell and red springs. She run those 3 6 footers in the ground. You have a lot to be proud of Mitchell fans. Leslie burleson, tiffany hall, and many others. Some of the best basketball players I have ever seen in person!!
I would rather lose to you than ma. No disrespect to ma. After that loss 2 years ago, it would devastate these seniors to lose again. But somebody has to win and somebody has to lose unfortunately. What sports is all about. Good luck to all teams playing tonight and their fan bases. Especially the WHC teams!#

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT