9)Cherokee 24)East Wilkes
10)Alleghany 23)Highlands
11)Bessemer City 22)Bishop McGuinness
12)WS Prep 21)Chatham Central
13)Queen's Grant 20)North Stanly
14)North Moore 19)Pine Lake Prep
15)Mitchell 18)Robbinsville
16)Nantahala 17)East Surry

NOTE: Guys the first half of the seeds were pretty well studied, but please be forgiving of the bottom half of the seeds. Let me know what you think!

East montgomery only has 4 losses so they would be seed 4 not 7. Avery would be 7.

Yeah, see I really wasn't sure how the bottom half of the seeding worked. Initially I was more focused on a potential second round, but I thought I would try the full West bracket.

Bottom half of the seeding last time i checked seeds 4 and 7 r in top half lol

Four Loss teams can get in depending on where they finished in conference if they finished #2 or #3 in a conference that get 4 seeds then that may be the case.

Cherryville will not be the 30 seed. Look at the records in that the Ironmen have won 13 games. No team from number 23 through 32 have won that many games. You have Cherryville between two teams, Blue Ridge and Swain, with 6 wins and 9 wins.

Take a look and you may agree. Let us know. Also, Pine Lake Preparatory and Community School of Davidson tied for third place in the Southern Piedmont 1A Conference with identical records of 7 wins 5 losses. Pine Lake drew the fourth place, so CSD drew third. A playoff game will be held on Thursday if necessary to determine where they are seeded for the state.

This post was edited on 2/16 10:25 AM by Catawbavalleybasketball

No conference gets 4 seeds in. Straight conferences get 3 bids. Split conferences get 2 bids. Only way a 4 win team gets in, is if they are in a split conference and they finish as the second best 1A team in the split conference standings.

Cherryville will be a higher seed than 30. I thought that each conference would get 4 teams in, but obviously I was mistaken. I'm not sure that I agree with the East Montgomery seed of 4. Why would they be seeded ahead of Lincoln Charter?

Originally posted by TheTruth333:
Cherryville will be a higher seed than 30. I thought that each conference would get 4 teams in, but obviously I was mistaken. I'm not sure that I agree with the East Montgomery seed of 4. Why would they be seeded ahead of Lincoln Charter?
A conference can get 4 teams in but only 3 or 2 (depending which league they are in) are automatic qualifiers. The others get in based on winning %.

The Southern Piedmont 1A Conference will get 5 teams and possibly 6 teams. Lincoln Charter will be conference champion, Bessemer City will be the second place finisher, and Community School of Davidson will be the third place finisher. Then Pine Lake Preparatory (14-9) and Cherryville (13-11) will be somewhere around the 23 seed to the 26 seed. Also, Highland School of Technology (8-14) will be in the playoff teams. Thus, the SP1A will have six of the 32 seeds in the west of the state playoffs.

Just looking at the top 16 teams, East Montgomery should move to 4, which would slide Lincoln Charter to 5, MA to 6 and Avery to 7. The MA spot could also flip flop with WS Prep, depending on who advances further in the NW1A tourney (they finished tied for 1st in regular season so whoever advances further will get the 1 seed from the conference). Also, Nantahala and Mitchell should switch at 15 and 16 based off of winning percentage. Just looking at some of these records, it's shameful that some of these teams with losing records are seeded higher than teams with great records. This is why the conference champs should be slotted in the 1-8 seeds, then all other teams seeded based on overall record.

WESTERN CONFERENCES (20 AUTOMATIC BERTHS)

BIG SMOKY MOUNTAIN
1. Hayesville
2. Cherokee
3. Robbinsville

LITTLE SMOKY MOUNTAIN
1. Hiwassee Dam
2. Highlands/Nantahala/Blue Ridge

NORTHWEST
1. Mount Airy/WS Prep
2. Mount Airy/WS Prep
3. East Surry

SOUTHERN PIEDMONT
1. Lincoln Charter
2. Bessemer City
3. Community School of Davidson/Pine Lake Prep

YADKIN VALLEY EAST
1. East Montgomery
2. North Moore
3. Chatham Central

YADKIN VALLEY WEST
1. Albemarle
2. Queens Grant
3. North Stanly

MOUNTAIN VALLEY
1. Starmount
2. Alleghany

WESTERN HIGHLANDS
1. Avery

EASTERN CONFERENCES (20 AUTOMATIC BERTHS)

CAROLINA
1. James Kenan/Spring Creek
2. James Kenan/Spring Creek
3. Rosewood

COASTAL
1. Gates/Camden
2. Gates.Camden
3. Plymouth/Manteo

COASTAL PLAINS
1. East Carteret
2. Pamlico
3. Northside

NORTH CENTRAL
1. Voyager
2. River Mill
3. Roxboro Community

TAR ROANOKE
1. Weldon
2. SE Halifax
3. Louisburg

TWO RIVERS
1. Riverside-Martin
2. South Creek
3. Northampton

FOUR COUNTY
1. Trask

THREE RIVERS
1. Whiteville

40 AUTOMATIC BERTHS ABOVE (24 WILDCARDS)

Winning Records Wildcards

Manteo/Plymouth
Neuse Charter
Southside
Kestral Heights
Wallace-Rose Hill
Bishop McGuinness
Rosman
CSD/Pine Lake Prep
Cherryville

Losing Records Wildcards

Mitchell
Perquimans
Franklin Academy
Granville Central
Pender
South Robeson
North Stokes
Princeton
Columbia
Highland Tech
South Davidson
Swain
Tarboro
Union Academy
Nantahala if they are 3rd

Can someone post records for all these teams. I'm still trying to figure out how East Surry is on the road with a 17-6 overall record and a 3 seed?

East Surry finished 3rd in their conference behind Mount Airy and WS Prep. ES has a chance to be the 2nd seed if they win their conference tourney (if played).

In the seeding process, all conference champs and #1 seeds are seeded by winning pct. Then all #2 seeds are seeded by winning pct. Then all #3 are seeded by winning pct. Then all wild cards are seeded by winning pct.

It is possible for teams with worse records to be seeded higher than teams with better records.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Feel ur pain watchdog. How would you like to be Cherokee at 20-2 and seeded 9th or Alleghany at 19-3 and seeded 10th, looking up at Hiwassee Dam seeded ahead of you. The problem is if everything was based on overall record, no one and I mean no one would play good teams in the non conference because it would hurt your seeding. I am sure that ur like/dislike for this format depends on how strong your conference is, but it just feels wrong to see the teams that are seeded above others with terrible records. I don't like to always use the little smoky as my reference point, but that is where several of the issues come from. I don't have an idea that will work better, so I will just grimace at this one and accept it I guess.

East Surry will be a very dangerous team for a higher seed to play. They are equally as good as WS Prep and Mount Airy, they just lost a conference game early in the season at Bishop and it has come back to hurt them (beat Bishop by 25+ last week). East Surry has size and depth, as well as good shooters. These kids also have experience in the playoffs (final 4 in 2013, sectional finals in 2014, both losses to WS Prep).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT