ADVERTISEMENT

1A should separate from NCHSAA

I have to agree with you on this but the more research I done on this a couple years ago I come to find out our state legislature are the ones that’s given the NCHSAA hell about keeping these charter schools within the association. Traditional public schools fan bases are much larger than these charter and prep schools which I do think is unfair another basketball season will go by without a traditional public school competing for a state championship. I use to think it was the NCHSAA but yes the legislature argue that it’s unfair to the charter schools for them to be divided up during the postseason. I do agree the lawmakers kids attend these charter schools which limits funding to traditional public schools.

Not to sound mean but that idea is not possible. I am a mitchell high grad and have no affiliation to any charter, but if their numbers fall within the 1a designation so be it. You only see charter schools winning in certain sports, and even then they are not dominating at the level you see in other states in some sports with PUBLIC schools with win streaks of 70 or 80 games/matches/meets/etc. It would be petty for a school to even whine about facing charter schools. Kids are going to charter schools because our education system in NC is the worst i've been around in the US. Also because sports have become a political animal which parents and coaches use for personal image. The blame for the downfall in 1a sports is due to us adults, parents, coaches, and administrators.

Do Like Georgia .. give them 1a private label.. Solve everything .. A new class.
You would still have schools like 1A WSPrep that is a public open-enrollment pulling from the whole county of Forsyth & 1A Bishop, a private Catholic school (already a private label) on the border of Forsyth & Guilford counties with no boundaries. Both these schools are in the NWC...What do you suggest we do with all the schools like this ?

Last edited:
I agree 1a level teams probably can't handle them. 2a would be a different ball game though.

All of this complaining/suggesting/planning so you guys can get a trophy. Its called progression. What we did 30-40 years ago should change. Rules were made way before charters because of the "recruiting" "transferring" from traditional schools. Even if it would be realigned to give you trophies again, you guys would start complaining about the Starmount's of the world recruiting, etc. It will never end because people just refuse to understand charters. MOST kids that go to charters are there for academic reasons PERIOD! If you don't believe that, walk the halls of a charter and see for yourself. You won't see athlete after athlete lining the halls or in classrooms...Why, because it doesn't exist.

Do Like Georgia .. give them 1a private label.. Solve everything .. A new class.

Charters play in the public division under the GA public/private split A playoffs. But they also have a lot less charter schools. I counted one in the Class A boys bracket.

You would still have schools like 1A WSPrep that is a public open-enrollment pulling from the whole county of Forsyth & 1A Bishop, a private Catholic school (already a private label) on the border of Forsyth & Guilford counties with no boundaries. Both these schools are in the NWC...What do you suggest we do with all the schools like this ?
Simple solution: Let the charters, parochial and the like be members of conferences with the publics, but treat these conferences like split conferences and separate them into different divisions for the playoffs.

This dad23 is a complete idiot.

Hey now you must agree with dad23 that MOST kids are at charters for education. But there is still an unusual number of athletes at many of these schools who somehow are selected by the lottery who just happen to be the very best athletes within their 25 mile zone. And it just has to be a coincidence that it seems to happen at the same schools year after year. How could anyone reasonably think these charters are not playing by the same rules as everyone else.

But we are stuck with the system the way it is. Not sure due to the political side of this it will ever change. But to not recognize that a school that can pull students from 5, 10, 15+ middle schools in an area that has a population of 100k plus doesn't have some kind of advantage over a 1a school in an entire county that has a population of under 16k is beyond belief.

Go Mountaineers

Not to sound mean but that idea is not possible. I am a mitchell high grad and have no affiliation to any charter, but if their numbers fall within the 1a designation so be it. You only see charter schools winning in certain sports, and even then they are not dominating at the level you see in other states in some sports with PUBLIC schools with win streaks of 70 or 80 games/matches/meets/etc. It would be petty for a school to even whine about facing charter schools. Kids are going to charter schools because our education system in NC is the worst i've been around in the US. Also because sports have become a political animal which parents and coaches use for personal image. The blame for the downfall in 1a sports is due to us adults, parents, coaches, and administrators.

I’m disappointed at the failings of a Mitchell county education.

Reactions: BK13T-$
When mics wins championship in football beating Murphy on their way it’ll change

I dont think we'll see MIC and Murphy in the same playoffs for a while.

All of this complaining/suggesting/planning so you guys can get a trophy. Its called progression. What we did 30-40 years ago should change. Rules were made way before charters because of the "recruiting" "transferring" from traditional schools. Even if it would be realigned to give you trophies again, you guys would start complaining about the Starmount's of the world recruiting, etc. It will never end because people just refuse to understand charters. MOST kids that go to charters are there for academic reasons PERIOD! If you don't believe that, walk the halls of a charter and see for yourself. You won't see athlete after athlete lining the halls or in classrooms...Why, because it doesn't exist.
MOST complaints aren’t about the 80% that’s walking the halls for academic reasons. The complaints are about the 20% ringers in whatever sport your “ charter school” decides to be good at.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT