1A should separate from NCHSAA

gangsta8

Dec 12, 2004
I have to agree with you on this but the more research I done on this a couple years ago I come to find out our state legislature are the ones that’s given the NCHSAA hell about keeping these charter schools within the association. Traditional public schools fan bases are much larger than these charter and prep schools which I do think is unfair another basketball season will go by without a traditional public school competing for a state championship. I use to think it was the NCHSAA but yes the legislature argue that it’s unfair to the charter schools for them to be divided up during the postseason. I do agree the lawmakers kids attend these charter schools which limits funding to traditional public schools.

Yosef1381

Sep 3, 2019
Not to sound mean but that idea is not possible. I am a mitchell high grad and have no affiliation to any charter, but if their numbers fall within the 1a designation so be it. You only see charter schools winning in certain sports, and even then they are not dominating at the level you see in other states in some sports with PUBLIC schools with win streaks of 70 or 80 games/matches/meets/etc. It would be petty for a school to even whine about facing charter schools. Kids are going to charter schools because our education system in NC is the worst i've been around in the US. Also because sports have become a political animal which parents and coaches use for personal image. The blame for the downfall in 1a sports is due to us adults, parents, coaches, and administrators.

CatDad312

Aug 8, 2018
20 of the last 26 men's and women's state championships over the last 13 years in 1a basketball have went to charter/parochial/magnet schools. I'd say that's pretty "dominating". I'm not sure what other word you could use. Baseball is on it's way quickly in that direction, and even football is beginning to finally show the writing on the wall. It's merely a matter of time until all three big sports are "dominated" by them.

Last edited:

CatDad312

Aug 8, 2018
I wrote a paper a few years ago that was shared across the state on social media that dealt with this. Not to sound mean, but it would be absolutely possible if 1a schools administration weren't collectively afraid to rock the boat. One season is all it would take of the nchsaa losing the biggest cash cow they have, and they would ship the charter/perochial/magnet schools over to the independent association where they belong for the playoffs quicker than you could bat an eye.

Last edited:

TD-FridayNight

Oct 28, 2015
Mayberry - RFD,NC
Do Like Georgia .. give them 1a private label.. Solve everything .. A new class.
You would still have schools like 1A WSPrep that is a public open-enrollment pulling from the whole county of Forsyth & 1A Bishop, a private Catholic school (already a private label) on the border of Forsyth & Guilford counties with no boundaries. Both these schools are in the NWC...What do you suggest we do with all the schools like this ?

Last edited:

tarheel fan1

Dec 2, 2011
I agree 1a level teams probably can't handle them. 2a would be a different ball game though.

Dadof23

Jan 17, 2019
All of this complaining/suggesting/planning so you guys can get a trophy. Its called progression. What we did 30-40 years ago should change. Rules were made way before charters because of the "recruiting" "transferring" from traditional schools. Even if it would be realigned to give you trophies again, you guys would start complaining about the Starmount's of the world recruiting, etc. It will never end because people just refuse to understand charters. MOST kids that go to charters are there for academic reasons PERIOD! If you don't believe that, walk the halls of a charter and see for yourself. You won't see athlete after athlete lining the halls or in classrooms...Why, because it doesn't exist.

ObserveAndReport

Aug 18, 2009
Do Like Georgia .. give them 1a private label.. Solve everything .. A new class.
Charters play in the public division under the GA public/private split A playoffs. But they also have a lot less charter schools. I counted one in the Class A boys bracket.

TGT

Sep 18, 2001
You would still have schools like 1A WSPrep that is a public open-enrollment pulling from the whole county of Forsyth & 1A Bishop, a private Catholic school (already a private label) on the border of Forsyth & Guilford counties with no boundaries. Both these schools are in the NWC...What do you suggest we do with all the schools like this ?
Simple solution: Let the charters, parochial and the like be members of conferences with the publics, but treat these conferences like split conferences and separate them into different divisions for the playoffs.

wncbowhunter

Dec 21, 2002
This dad23 is a complete idiot.
Hey now you must agree with dad23 that MOST kids are at charters for education. But there is still an unusual number of athletes at many of these schools who somehow are selected by the lottery who just happen to be the very best athletes within their 25 mile zone. And it just has to be a coincidence that it seems to happen at the same schools year after year. How could anyone reasonably think these charters are not playing by the same rules as everyone else.

But we are stuck with the system the way it is. Not sure due to the political side of this it will ever change. But to not recognize that a school that can pull students from 5, 10, 15+ middle schools in an area that has a population of 100k plus doesn't have some kind of advantage over a 1a school in an entire county that has a population of under 16k is beyond belief.

Go Mountaineers

Mhsneer

Nov 24, 2017
Not to sound mean but that idea is not possible. I am a mitchell high grad and have no affiliation to any charter, but if their numbers fall within the 1a designation so be it. You only see charter schools winning in certain sports, and even then they are not dominating at the level you see in other states in some sports with PUBLIC schools with win streaks of 70 or 80 games/matches/meets/etc. It would be petty for a school to even whine about facing charter schools. Kids are going to charter schools because our education system in NC is the worst i've been around in the US. Also because sports have become a political animal which parents and coaches use for personal image. The blame for the downfall in 1a sports is due to us adults, parents, coaches, and administrators.

I’m disappointed at the failings of a Mitchell county education.

Reactions: BK13T-$

Mhsneer

Nov 24, 2017
When mics wins championship in football beating Murphy on their way it’ll change

BK13T-$

Jul 23, 2009
I dont think we'll see MIC and Murphy in the same playoffs for a while.

WHChoops

Oct 11, 2018
All of this complaining/suggesting/planning so you guys can get a trophy. Its called progression. What we did 30-40 years ago should change. Rules were made way before charters because of the "recruiting" "transferring" from traditional schools. Even if it would be realigned to give you trophies again, you guys would start complaining about the Starmount's of the world recruiting, etc. It will never end because people just refuse to understand charters. MOST kids that go to charters are there for academic reasons PERIOD! If you don't believe that, walk the halls of a charter and see for yourself. You won't see athlete after athlete lining the halls or in classrooms...Why, because it doesn't exist.
MOST complaints aren’t about the 80% that’s walking the halls for academic reasons. The complaints are about the 20% ringers in whatever sport your “ charter school” decides to be good at.

Latest posts