ADVERTISEMENT

1A Playoffs

football0000

Oct 17, 2009
who does everyone think could be a Cinderella in this years 1a baseball playoffs? Who are teams to not sleep on?

I don't think there is a cinderella with the pitching rules. I will be surprised if it is not a two team race between Murphy and East Surry in the West because they both have the pitching, with East Surry having the edge in pitching. I think teams without 2 really good pitchers just have a complete uphill battle to make a deep run.

I don't think there is a cinderella with the pitching rules. I will be surprised if it is not a two team race between Murphy and East Surry in the West because they both have the pitching, with East Surry having the edge in pitching. I think teams without 2 really good pitchers just have a complete uphill battle to make a deep run.
Yep no more throwing that same pitcher almost every game as some have done before pitch counts.

Don’t count out Uwharrie Charter or North Stanly...usually some really good baseball comes from down that way. Also have to remember teams like Lincoln Charter and perennial playoff contender Cherryville. Way too early to pencil in a Murphy/East Surry showdown!

Reactions: Griddie
Yes, Cherryville would be a dangerous #11 seed. They wouldn't be challenged until the 3rd round against Uwharrie Charter.

East Surry will have their hands full if they play North Stanly in the 3rd round. Dogs have a potential tough 2nd round game looming against South Stanly.

Last edited:
A two loss East Surry should not be ranked ahead of an unbeaten Murphy. East has one win that is better than any of Murphy's: Reagan, but they also have a bad loss to Bishop. And you can say what you want about Murphy's schedule but they ran the table, nobody else in 1A did that. Plus they've already proven they can overcome a weak schedule: last year state final appearance.

Reactions: NWWatchdog
Murphy was very fortunate in the playoffs last year. Uwharrie had a 3-1 lead going to bottom of 6th and 5-3 lead going to bottom of the 8th. Murphy answered each time, and got the winning run home in the bottom of the 9th to advance 6-5. North Stanly and Murphy went to game 3 with the Dogs winning a very tight game 2-1. Single elimination games can make an exceptional season turn into a dismal one with one bad outing. I think i saw on MHS athletic fb page State Champs or Bust. Talk about pressure lol

Last edited:
Murphy was very fortunate in the playoffs last year. Uwharrie had a 3-1 lead going to bottom of 6th and 5-3 lead going to bottom of the 8th. Murphy answered each time, and got the winning run home in the bottom of the 9th to advance 6-5. North Stanly and Murphy went to game 3 with the Dogs winning a very tight game 2-1. Single elimination games can make an exceptional season turn into a dismal one with one bad outing. I think i saw on MHS athletic fb page State Champs or Bust. Talk about pressure lol
I think talent wise this year's team is for sure better than last years. The boys from last year's team all pretty much returned so there was a year of improvement, and they also brought in three impact players (two transfers and a freshman). But anything can happen in a one game scenario. Just ask Murphy's last unbeaten regular season baseball team: 'Dogs heavily favored against West Wilkes but 'Dogs ace has an off night and West Wilkes pitcher throws a gem, West Wilkes goes on to win state title.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone will disagree that Murphy got screwed over by the current playoff system and that they deserve the #1 overall seed. They are still the favorite to repeat in the West. There are other teams that are good enough to win the West (N.Stanly, E.Surry, Uwharrie, etc) but Murphy is still the odds on favorite to repeat as regional champs.

Told North Stanly lost one of their top pitchers for the playoffs. Won several in the playoffs last year. They might be in trouble early on in the brackets.

does anyone know much about mount airy, I am wondering if I should take the time to go watch mount airy @ murphy today. Do they have any arms good enough to hang with the big dogs?

Mount Airy will not beat Murphy. They finished 3rd in their conference, but was blown out by East Surry and was well on their way to being blown out to East Surry the 2nd game but East fell asleep midway and allowed Mount Airy to make it close. They are not a bad baseball team at all, but do not have the guns to beat Murphy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT