ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball 1A playoff projections?

killa_15

Nov 10, 2001
I see a girls has been posted. Has anyone tried to figure out the boys 1A east and 1A west projections?

I'll take a stab at this........if the states were to begin tomorrow, we'd have....

West (#1 seeds)
Avery Co. (22-0)
Cherokee/Lincoln Charter (21-1)
Queen's Grant (20-2)
Uwharrie Charter (18-4)
Winston Salem Prep (17-5)
Starmount (16-6)
Highlands (10-12)

(#2 seeds)
Mount Airy/Hayesville (21-1)
North Stanly (20-2)
CS Davidson (14-8)
West Montgomery (12-10)
Blue Ridge (9-13)

(#3 seeds)
Pine Lake Prep (17-5)
Rosman (16-6)
East Surry (14-8)
Albemarle (12-10)
Nantahala (12-10)

Wild Cards:
Bessemer City/Alleghany (16-6)
East Montgomery (15-7)
Swain County/Bishop McGuiness (14-8)
North Moore (12-10)
Mountain Island Charter (11-11)
Robbinsville/TJCA/Cherryville (10-12) (TJCA owns tie-breaker over C'ville)
East Wilkes/North Stokes/Union Academy (9-13) (E Wilkes owns tie-breaker over N Stokes)

Last edited:
To the East.....

(#1 seeds)
East Carteret/Voyager Academy (22-0)
Gates County/Weldon (21-1)
Trask (20-2)
South Creek/Neuse Charter (19-3)
Whiteville (15-5)

(#2 seeds)
Jones Senior/Camden/James Kenan (18-4)
Wallace Rose Hill (17-5)
Riverside-Martin (16-6)
Louisburg (15-7)
Roxboro Community (14-8)

(#3 seeds)
Plymouth/SE Halifax/Pamlico (15-7)
River Mill (15-7)**
Chatham Central (13-8)
Tarboro (12-9)
Rosewood (11-11)

Wild Cards:
Kestrel Heights (18-4)**
Ocracoke (15-7)
KiPP Pride/Perquimans (13-9)
Raleigh Charter/Hobbton/Lakewood (11-11)
Southside (10-11)
NW Halifax (10-12)
Northside-Pinetown (9-13)

**Not sure if either River Mill or Kestrel Heights has the #3 seed

Last edited:
Hayesville/cherokee split, weird bc both games were blowouts. I think PLP gets the 3 seed, my be wrong.
From the MVAC you forgot Alleghany and Starmount. SHS finished top 1A in the split conf and Alleghany #2 1a.

I may be wrong but in the past, the SMC has been split into 2 conferences and the Nantahallas and Blue Ridges of the world get a 1 and 2 seed. Has the state finally stepped in and stopped the madness of teams with losing records getting 1s and 2s or is this still the case.

Hayesville/cherokee split, weird bc both games were blowouts. I think PLP gets the 3 seed, my be wrong.
From the MVAC you forgot Alleghany and Starmount. SHS finished top 1A in the split conf and Alleghany #2 1a.
From the NCHSAA website If school finishes first in its part of a classification in a split conference, it is seeded as a number one and not actually where it finished overall in the conference. (c) A team that is second in a split conference must finish second in the overall conference standings to be seeded second. If the second team in a split conference finishes in third place in the overall conference standings, it will be seeded third. (Revised)

I may be wrong but in the past, the SMC has been split into 2 conferences and the Nantahallas and Blue Ridges of the world get a 1 and 2 seed. Has the state finally stepped in and stopped the madness of teams with losing records getting 1s and 2s or is this still the case.

That is correct. In basketball there are two separate leagues...Big Smoky and Little Smoky. Cherokee and Hayesville will be 1/2 in the Big Smoky depending on the tourney results and Highlands/Nantahala will be 1/2 in the Little Smoky depending on their tourney.

No the madness of the little smoky still is there they will send 3 seeds with terrible records

Rumors about a Bench-Clearing Fight between Plymouth and Columbia the last game of regular season that may have disqualified both teams from their conference tournament. Would this also disqualify them from the NCHSAA 1A State Playoffs?

To the East.....

(#1 seeds)
Voyager Academy (22-0)
East Carteret (21-1)
Trask/Gates County (20-2)
Weldon/Neuse Charter (19-3)
South Creek (17-4)
Whiteville (14-4)

(#2 seeds)
Kestrel Heights (or Roxboro Community) (17-5)**
Jones Senior (17-5)
Wallace Rose Hill/Camden (or Plymouth) (16-6)*
James Kenan (15-6)
Plymouth (or Camden)/Riverside-Martin (15-7)
Louisburg (13-9)

(#3 seeds)
Camden (or Plymouth) 16-6
SE Halifax (14-8)
Chatham Central (12-7)
Pamlico (13-9)
Tarboro (11-8)
Rosewood (10-12)

Wild Cards:
Ocracoke (14-8)
KiPP Pride (13-9)
Roxboro Community (or Kestrel Heights) 13-9
Perquimans (12-10)
Raleigh Charter/Hobbton (11-11)
Lakewood (10-11)
Southside (9-10)
Northside-Pinetown/Research Triangle/NW Halifax (9-13)

*Plymouth and Camden tied for second in their conference.

**River Mill, Kestrel Heights, and Roxboro Community are tied for second in their conference. One of these will be a wild card. If the current format holds, River Mill will still be West.

***Columbia and Manteo are slightly behind Mitchell in conference winning percentage.

Yep, big and little smoky get 7 guaranteed seeds, regardless of record, while 1A teams in Alleghany and Avery's conferences only get the 1 seeds guaranteed. These 1A teams play over half of their conference games against 2A competition and then get to sit back and watch all 1A conferences jump ahead of them in seeding. Makes a lot of sense.

Same issues with other split conferences that are playing up in classification, not just 1A.

I think that the state needs to re look how they do the play-off seedings. This is not 1980's? They need to be able to change with the times. A strength of schedule component should be taken into account

To the East.....

(#1 seeds)
Voyager Academy (22-0)
East Carteret (21-1)
Trask/Gates County (20-2)
Weldon/Neuse Charter (19-3)
South Creek (17-4)
Whiteville (14-4)

(#2 seeds)
Kestrel Heights (or Roxboro Community) (17-5)**
Jones Senior (17-5)
Wallace Rose Hill/Camden (or Plymouth) (16-6)*
James Kenan (15-6)
Plymouth (or Camden)/Riverside-Martin (15-7)
Louisburg (13-9)

(#3 seeds)
Camden (or Plymouth) 16-6
SE Halifax (14-8)
Chatham Central (12-7)
Pamlico (13-9)
Tarboro (11-8)
Rosewood (10-12)

Wild Cards:
Ocracoke (14-8)
KiPP Pride (13-9)
Roxboro Community (or Kestrel Heights) 13-9
Perquimans (12-10)
Raleigh Charter/Hobbton (11-11)
Lakewood (10-11)
Southside (9-10)
Northside-Pinetown/Research Triangle/NW Halifax (9-13)

*Plymouth and Camden tied for second in their conference.

**River Mill, Kestrel Heights, and Roxboro Community are tied for second in their conference. One of these will be a wild card. If the current format holds, River Mill will still be West.

***Columbia and Manteo are slightly behind Mitchell in conference winning percentage.

With the non-football schools, you must drop there games played before Nov 15th. This effects voyager and roxboro, neuse for sure. Voyager 23-4, drop 4 before 11/15 all wins = 19-4, drop 1 more for playing 23.. There 22 game record should be 19-3.

Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
Yea it just feels a little wrong. One of those situations that I am much better at stating the problem than I am coming up with a solution. Did I read that right, there are 4 spots for the big smoky. I thought automatic berths only went as far as 3

Yea it just feels a little wrong. One of those situations that I am much better at stating the problem than I am coming up with a solution. Did I read that right, there are 4 spots for the big smoky. I thought automatic berths only went as far as 3

You read that right here, but nobody has gotten 4 bids in about 5 years.

Last edited:
You read that right here, but that hasn't been the rule in about 5 years. The NCHSAA cut it from 3 bids per league to 2 this year, with more wildcards going by overall record instead of conference finish, so they have done a little something to fix the madness.
According to what I read on the seeding guidelines, there are still 3 berths recognized.

With the non-football schools, you must drop there games played before Nov 15th. This effects voyager and roxboro, neuse for sure. Voyager 23-4, drop 4 before 11/15 all wins = 19-4, drop 1 more for playing 23.. There 22 game record should be 19-3.

Good lookin' out, man. Totally forgot about that rule. I'll correct things in a few hours.

Okay, I went back and made changes with regards to the non-football schools. Definitely gives it a different look.

After the first round it's gonna be brutal unless you get lucky with little smokey . Should be fun and some great games

Alrighty, I just readjusted the projections to include Little Smoky. I just can't agree with a four team conference getting three auto berths. Should only be two, IMO.

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
They both get 3 berths. 3 out of 7 for the league with the bigger schools and 3 out of 4 for the one with the smaller schools. Kind of is madness.

It is rather peculiar. What's crazy is that MaxPreps has them lumped into one big conference. What's even wierder is that Hiwassee Dam wasn't even listed in the conference standings.

Blue Ridge upset Nantahala in the Little Smoky tournament tonight, so barring another upset in the HD/Highlands game, Highlands should get the Little Smoky's 1-seed. I also think Blue Ridge is capable of pulling another upset and winning the final to steal that 2-seed from Nantahala, so I wouldn't write the Little Smoky berths in pen until the whole tourney is over.

Scratch that. Hiwassee Dam beat Highlands, so somebody is bumping up to the 2 seed, and the two LSMC regular season champs will have to fight it out to see who keeps the 1 and who drops to the 3.

Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
Yep, big and little smoky get 7 guaranteed seeds, regardless of record, while 1A teams in Alleghany and Avery's conferences only get the 1 seeds guaranteed. These 1A teams play over half of their conference games against 2A competition and then get to sit back and watch all 1A conferences jump ahead of them in seeding. Makes a lot of sense.
Not to be a jerk, but Alleghany (and any other 1A in their conference - E.Wilkes, Elkin, Starmount) can't complain too much about this. They have reiterated to the NCHSAA their desires to stay in the more friendly 1A/2A MVAC instead of joining a straight 1A conference (which would guarantee more automatic 1A playoff slots).

Reactions: Girls -BBall Fan
Not to be a jerk, but Alleghany (and any other 1A in their conference - E.Wilkes, Elkin, Starmount) can't complain too much about this. They have reiterated to the NCHSAA their desires to stay in the more friendly 1A/2A MVAC instead of joining a straight 1A conference (which would guarantee more automatic 1A playoff slots).
Remember watchdog when those discussions take place, they consider nothing but football. Does not change the fact that there is an inequity associated with split conferences. There are clear geographical advantages to staying like we are not to mention the fact that it is the best thing financially for the school. Less travel and better gates where we are.

Remember watchdog when those discussions take place, they consider nothing but football. Does not change the fact that there is an inequity associated with split conferences. There are clear geographical advantages to staying like we are not to mention the fact that it is the best thing financially for the school. Less travel and better gates where we are.
I disagree that football is the only thing considered. While football is the biggest generator of revenue, I think the AD's at the MVAC 1A schools look at the whole well-being of their athletic departments. There are definitely geographic advantages of playing in the split MVAC 1A/2A. However, using travel as the excuse is misleading. It takes the same amount of time to get from Elkin, East Wilkes, or Starmount to West Wilkes as it takes to get to Mt.Airy or East Surry. Same thing would go for those schools to travel to North or South Stokes (which is the same or less time that it takes to get to Ashe County). Plug the info in to mapquest if you don't believe me. I can't speak completely to the gate revenues debate, but I'd imagine from past experiences between these schools that Mt.Airy and ES would travel just as well in the major sports (football, basketball, baseball) as Wilkes Central or West Wilkes. Not sure how North Stokes doesn't travel extremely well for longer distances, but South Stokes would still probably travel well (maybe comparable to Ashe?).

Do the coaches, AD's, fans feel they are more competitive in the MVAC split conference than they would be in a rejuvenated NW1A from the 90's/early 2000's? I don't know...but I do know that you can't begrudge straight 1A conferences for getting more playoff representatives than split conferences when you CHOOSE to stay in a split conference. If you get stuck in a split conference by the NCHSAA and face these issues unwillingly, I can understand the complaints.

I am an alleghany fan and mostly care about football and i would much rather play north wilkes and west wilkes in football instead of mount airy and east surry due to the fact north and west usually are less competitive. Alleghany84 how is our basketball team doin, see where we have lost alot of games by 1 or 2 pts, u think we got a playoff run in us?

KW it has been a bit of a tough luck year in that lots of those 1-3 point games have went the other way. Part of that is that it was a bit of a rebuilding year in that we lost 2 three year starters that were all conference all 3 years and player of the year once. We also lost another starter and a 6-6 6th man. With all that said, we kind of had to start over and I am extremely excited about how this relatively new group has competed. We have faced some more tough luck in that one of our 6-5 inside guys came down with a health issue last week, and the other 6-5 player is currently battling one that has him in the hospital ( our prayers and thoughts are with those sick players ). Presently, the coaching staff is working to recreate the team as they have been a very big team and now they are not. Still a very talented but young basketball team. Will there be a run? We sure hope so.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT