ADVERTISEMENT

1A Matchups

OMG, Buzz was wrong again. I sense a pattern developing here. The loudest voice on the thread is also the most ignorant.
From 1961 to 1971, play did not culminate in a state champion in ALL classifications. Meaning the 4 regional champs in 2A and 1A. The years 1969 through 1971 there were not enough 1A teams in football to have 2 separate regions during that time.

OMG, Buzz was wrong again. I sense a pattern developing here. The loudest voice on the thread is also the most ignorant.
I'm flattered with you obsession of me in the last 3 post. But honestly, I'm just not that "in" to you.

Wait a minute... Tarboro 1 and Graham 2 are the champions in each region in 3A that year. It's just a different way of being 3A and 3AA. The lower classifications 1A/2A had four regional champions and are not considered state champs extraordinaire. 3A and 4A still had the 2 regional distinction just like 1A and 1AA today. The lower classifications (1A-2A) schools were regional. The 4 teams listed as "state champs" in 1A and 2A doesnt have the legitimacy as a state champ for that reason. I gotta disagree here the 3A in those days is just as legit as any 3A or 3AA title under the circumstances of the time period.
This all stems back to your argument that Tarboro has had multiple titles in 3 different classifications. The word you used was "titles" and 1965 was a legitimate title at the time it was attained. I retract my previous objection because 1965, while not a true state championship, was in fact the only title they were eligible for and they won it.

Last edited:
Reactions: bud33345
Robbinsville has 1 in 65. Its not listed at the stadium but it still counts.

Forgot all about Roanoke and Chocowinity. We had good battles vs Roanoke.

Northside was created after Beaufort County schools consolidated Bath and Belhaven. Southside was a consolidation of Chocowinity and Aurora. South Creek and Riverside are essentially Roanoke and Williamston High after the consolidations in Martin County. One of my best friends graduated from Williamston High School. The Williamston Tigers had a pretty strong athletic program. All that history is lost in time now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT