ADVERTISEMENT

1A Girls- Mount Airy @ Avery Round 3

AHVikingNation

Feb 25, 2016
Newland, NC
I know there are quite a few MA fans on here. Can anyone tell me about their team? Style of play and stats? Since they lost the Snow girl are there any drop offs?

The system is the same as always, but MA only has one starter back from the two championship teams. Granted, it's Shaunae Sawyers and she's very good, but the whole rest of the lineup is different. There are only two players from that team that you played in the 2017 regional final still around--Shaunae and Bailey Flippen, a reserve guard that season who is a starter now. The other two seniors also start, 5-9 guard Alyssa Cox, and 5-10 forward Hanne Cooke, but Alyssa only came back to the team in '18 and Hanne came back this fall for her senior season after missing both championship teams.

They've had a good year. First loss was by four points to a good Virginia 4A team in a holiday tournament final. They lost three times to East Surry, two of them very close, and once on the road at Bishop McGuinness, but beat them handily the other two times, and they split with Surry Central, a 2A team which is 24-5 and still playing. They've also beaten some very good teams, like Surry Central, Forbush, and Bishop twice.

Very tough defensively, as always, and they like to score off their defense and look to either get to the basket or an open three. Their biggest weakness is that they're inexperienced outside of the seniors and their only consistent scoring threat is Shaunae (18.5 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 4.8 apg, 4.1 spg). If Alyssa and/or Hanne gets rolling too, they're tough to beat. Both of them average about 8-9 points per game, but that's a lot of fours and a lot of 15's. Shaunae usually runs the point, and she's not as quick as Jo Snow was, but she's physically stronger and actually leads MA in rebounding.

There's no comparison to the '17 and '18 teams. I probably saw the championship teams play about 45-50 times those seasons, and this team can't do some of the things those teams did. But what they can do is play hard, and they have a chance to beat anybody they play.

Reactions: sbbbfan
This Mount Airy team is not as talented as the previous 2 teams, but they are still very good. Some would argue that the best player from the last 2 seasons was the Sawyers kid, and I would agree. The kid can do it all, it is just a matter of if she has any help around her. The Cox kid can play too, ask Murphy, but she has been very inconsistent.

The system is the same as always, but MA only has one starter back from the two championship teams. Granted, it's Shaunae Sawyers and she's very good, but the whole rest of the lineup is different. There are only two players from that team that you played in the 2017 regional final still around--Shaunae and Bailey Flippen, a reserve guard that season who is a starter now. The other two seniors also start, 5-9 guard Alyssa Cox, and 5-10 forward Hanne Cooke, but Alyssa only came back to the team in '18 and Hanne came back this fall for her senior season after missing both championship teams.

They've had a good year. First loss was by four points to a good Virginia 4A team in a holiday tournament final. They lost three times to East Surry, two of them very close, and once on the road at Bishop McGuinness, but beat them handily the other two times, and they split with Surry Central, a 2A team which is 24-5 and still playing. They've also beaten some very good teams, like Surry Central, Forbush, and Bishop twice.

Very tough defensively, as always, and they like to score off their defense and look to either get to the basket or an open three. Their biggest weakness is that they're inexperienced outside of the seniors and their only consistent scoring threat is Shaunae (18.5 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 4.8 apg, 4.1 spg). If Alyssa and/or Hanne gets rolling too, they're tough to beat. Both of them average about 8-9 points per game, but that's a lot of fours and a lot of 15's. Shaunae usually runs the point, and she's not as quick as Jo Snow was, but she's physically stronger and actually leads MA in rebounding.

There's no comparison to the '17 and '18 teams. I probably saw the championship teams play about 45-50 times those seasons, and this team can't do some of the things those teams did. But what they can do is play hard, and they have a chance to beat anybody they play.
Sawyers lit Avery up when they played two years ago in the Western Region Final. Given Avery played pretty bad that game. I don’t see Avery having two off nights in a row given that they played a good Mitchell team for the fourth time, but you never know as that is why the game is played. Thank you for a little insight into your team.

Last edited:

You said the key word sawyers. She had 25 of the 49 points two years ago in regional final. Like I said Idk if they were better that year than us. We played great defense but stone cold shooting the ball. Our team this year is maybe better than 2 years ago but I would say about the same. So imo this is an evenly matched game basically a rerun of two years ago

Sawyers lit Avery up when they played two years ago in the Western Region Final. Given Avery played pretty bad that game. I don’t see Avery having two off nights in a row, but you never know as that is why the game is played. Thank you for a little insight into your team.
I disagree. That was their best defensive game of the year. They played hard in that game. The shots were not fallen.

Sawyers lit Avery up when they played two years ago in the Western Region Final. Given Avery played pretty bad that game. I don’t see Avery having two off nights in a row, but you never know as that is why the game is played. Thank you for a little insight into your team.
I disagree. That was their best defensive game of the year. They played hard in that game. The shots were not fallen.
I can't remember how we did defensively but I don remember that we could not get anything going offensively. McKenzie Franklin had the worst game of her career and she was averaging 10-15 points a game even then. She was 0-5 from the field and finished with 1 point. She had 9 rebounds and SEVEN turnovers. I'm expecting the Lady Vikings to come out on fire tonight. I believe they will get their revenge on the two-time defending state champs. As always I will be a nervous wreck. Hoping and expecting for an electric atmosphere tonight! If you are a Viking fan and are coming to the game GET LOUD AND STAY LOUD! As always go Vikings!

I can't remember how we did defensively but I don remember that we could not get anything going offensively. McKenzie Franklin had the worst game of her career and she was averaging 10-15 points a game even then. She was 0-5 from the field and finished with 1 point. She had 9 rebounds and SEVEN turnovers. I'm expecting the Lady Vikings to come out on fire tonight. I believe they will get their revenge on the two-time defending state champs. As always I will be a nervous wreck. Hoping and expecting for an electric atmosphere tonight! If you are a Viking fan and are coming to the game GET LOUD AND STAY LOUD! As always go Vikings!
Yea I agree she did. When she did have open shots she did not shoot and tried to force bad passes. When she got in the lane she didn't make her move right away, and let two or three defenders come from behind and steal the ball. Also, when she drove she got happy feet and walked. But everybody has bad games, and hers come at the worse time. But nobody except Nelson hit shots. But I know Franklin is one of the main reasons they are playing today. Even with McIntosh fouling out, Franklin had big rebounds and clutch free throws and showed heart and emotion at the end. Seniors lead when they are needed most. I think Franklin has grown so much in past two years. They were young then, and I think moment was too big. Their confidence was not there. But judging from avery's 3 lopsided losses, they need her on the court. I hope they play well tonight.

This game like the other night could go either way. Ma has beaten good teams. They are great defensively. I just hope these seniors give it their all, and win or lose these are some of the best basketball players to ever step foot in ACHS. And their accomplishments will never be forgotten!!

Crazy how Franklin's worse high school game ever 2 years ago against ma turned into one of her best games ever 2 years later. Career high 22 points. The vikings played hard as well in this game except the shots went in. Great team win!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT