ADVERTISEMENT

1A Girls 4th Round Murphy @ Avery

AHVikingNation

Feb 25, 2016
Newland, NC
Anyone want to provide insight into Murphy’s roster, stats, style of play, etc.? I’m expecting this one to be a good one in which home court could be the difference.

Anyone want to provide insight into Murphy’s roster, stats, style of play, etc.? I’m expecting this one to be a good one in which home court could be the difference.
Idk if anyone will give you any insight, but I know a little bit bout them having seen them play in coaches vs cancer against freedom. They have two outstanding players in clapsaddle and Addison. Addison is about 5'11 to 6'0. She can stretch the floor big time with her athleticism. She is a carbon copy of MacKenzie Franklin, can shoot, pass, rebound, play defense, etc. Those two head to head will be great matchup. And Addison will be star of the team next year. Clapsaddle is a carbon copy of heaven Nelson, very aggressive and will attack basket if any opportunity presents itself . Prolific scorer. She is 5'7 or 5'8. Their point guard Moore is ill but taller than Regan McKinney, but she really handles offense well. Martin is your typical 3. She can play inside and out. Plays hard. Then the big girl Rogers is going to be a superstar. She is 6'0 to 6'1, and only a freshman. You better put a body on her and rebound. Daniels for avery will have her hands full. The guards are very experienced, all seniors. The big girls for avery might get in foul trouble. So Regan Hughes has to play good off the bench. She is 5'11 and very athletic. Murphy lost by 20 or so, but have obviously gotten much better. They beat Cherokee easily all 3 times, who almost took out number 1 east Surry. I would say Avery is an underdog. These senior guards went to final 8 and final 4 last two seasons. If Avery does not come to play, they will get blown out. They cannot afford to go down double digits to this team. They are all around way too good. I know this is crazy but I would put the smaller McKinney on clapsaddle. She really frustrated sawyers in 2nd half Saturday night . Murphy's coach is great, he will make adjustments to try and stop your strengths and attack your weaknesses. To beat this team, you have to be physical and intense for four quarters. Hope Avery comes to play!#

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Idk if anyone will give you any insight, but I know a little bit bout them having seen them play in coaches vs cancer against freedom. They have two outstanding players in clapsaddle and Addison. Addison is about 5'11 to 6'0. She can stretch the floor big time with her athleticism. She is a carbon copy of MacKenzie Franklin, can shoot, pass, rebound, play defense, etc. Those two head to head will be great matchup. And Addison will be star of the team next year. Clapsaddle is a carbon copy of heaven Nelson, very aggressive and will attack basket if any opportunity presents itself . Prolific scorer. She is 5'7 or 5'8. Their point guard Moore is ill but taller than Regan McKinney, but she really handles offense well. Martin is your typical 3. She can play inside and out. Plays hard. Then the big girl Rogers is going to be a superstar. She is 6'0 to 6'1, and only a freshman. You better put a body on her and rebound. Daniels for avery will have her hands full. The guards are very experienced, all seniors. The big girls for avery might get in foul trouble. So Regan Hughes has to play good off the bench. She is 5'11 and very athletic. Murphy lost by 20 or so, but have obviously gotten much better. They beat Cherokee easily all 3 times, who almost took out number 1 east Surry. I would say Avery is an underdog. These senior guards went to final 8 and final 4 last two seasons. If Avery does not come to play, they will get blown out. They cannot afford to go down double digits to this team. They are all around way too good. I know this is crazy but I would put the smaller McKinney on clapsaddle. She really frustrated sawyers in 2nd half Saturday night . Murphy's coach is great, he will make adjustments to try and stop your strengths and attack your weaknesses. To beat this team, you have to be physical and intense for four quarters. Hope Avery comes to play!#
Excuse me Martin is the point guard not Moore. I got them mixed up.

Excuse me Martin is the point guard not Moore. I got them mixed up.
On an interesting personal idea. I think Reagan Hughes should get quite a bit of playing time in this one. She is a good player who can play inside and out. I know of course you know this but she will give it her all, all the time. I believe that Viking Gym will be electric and rocking tomorrow. Expecting a bigger fan base for this one compared to Saturday. Avery fans will be loud and getting wild! I’m pumped as you can see.

On an interesting personal idea. I think Reagan Hughes should get quite a bit of playing time in this one. She is a good player who can play inside and out. I know of course you know this but she will give it her all, all the time. I believe that Viking Gym will be electric and rocking tomorrow. Expecting a bigger fan base for this one compared to Saturday. Avery fans will be loud and getting wild! I’m pumped as you can see.
Underdog or not we have a chance if we play well. But no matter the outcome, I am very proud of this team. They have shown a lot of heart in these playoffs .I have not been nervous since Mitchell game. Making it this far in a tough draw for avery, you just watch the game and hope they make plays.

Reactions: AHVikingNation
A few of their games from Towns Co's Christmas tournament are available on Ridgeline TV's YouTube channel, if you want to get a look, although they have gotten better since then.

Last edited:
Survivor did a pretty good job breaking down Murphy but as far as players I'll add Pullium and Pickens to that. Pullium is a 5'9 sophomore forward who lead Murphy in their last game against Alleghany with 20 points and Pickens is a 5'6 sophomore guard who is an excellent athlete.

I don't know what kind of depth Avery has but Murphy has pretty good depth, they're not super deep but they do have a really solid rotation. With the graduation of Beckner I think the burden of scoring is more of a team effort this year than last, if one girl has an off night there are others that are plenty capable of stepping up.

Based on what I've been told about Avery I could see the duo of Nelson/Franklin and Clapsaddle/Addison cancelling each other out, so this one one may well come down to how well others play. Homecourt is obviously really big, it could be the difference. I was definitely hoping Murphy would have another home game because they're really tough to beat at their place.

Pickens is a very good player she can catch fire from 3 and has a pretty shot, her and pullium are very tough off the bench

Survivor did a pretty good job breaking down Murphy but as far as players I'll add Pullium and Pickens to that. Pullium is a 5'9 sophomore forward who lead Murphy in their last game against Alleghany with 20 points and Pickens is a 5'6 sophomore guard who is an excellent athlete.

I don't know what kind of depth Avery has but Murphy has pretty good depth, they're not super deep but they do have a really solid rotation. With the graduation of Beckner I think the burden of scoring is more of a team effort this year than last, if one girl has an off night there are others that are plenty capable of stepping up.

Based on what I've been told about Avery I could see the duo of Nelson/Franklin and Clapsaddle/Addison cancelling each other out, so this one one may well come down to how well others play. Homecourt is obviously really big, it could be the difference. I was definitely hoping Murphy would have another home game because they're really tough to beat at their place.
I think this has the makings of a great game if you played out on a street court lol. Are you making the trip east to Avery county?

27-20 Murphy over Avery at the half. Lady Vikings started out the first 3 or 4 minutes without a point and we're trailer by 13 or so untile Murphy threw the ball away a couple of times. Very similar to Mount Airy/Avery game so far. Without 3's Avery would be ahead by 5 or so.

Well since the late 80’s, 3’s have been a part of the game so that is what you have to prepare for. If it weren’t for all the free throws, Murphy would be up by 15 so your point of 3’s isn’t really relevant.

that 3 at the end of the quarter was big for Avery, momentum on their side

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT