ADVERTISEMENT

1A Boys All-State Nominations

Deana_King

Staff
May 31, 2001
We are taking nominations for All-State. Please help us out in your area, if there are players in your area deserving (especially the Conference POY) please list them here or email ncpreps1@gmail.com.

Players must have been named All-Conference to be considered.

EAST CARTERET
Jacque Brown CPC POY
Ty Simmons CPC 1st Team
Tevor Willis CPC 1st Team
Sam Johnson CPC 2nd Team

Jeremiah Green, junior guard at Granville Central - 2013-2014 honors: Tar-Roanoke Player of the Year, All Conference, Holiday Tournament Most Outstanding Player, Holiday Tournament All Tournament team; season averages: 21.0 pts per game, 3.7 asst per game, 3.6 steals per game and 3.8 rebs per game, 13 - 20+ point games this season, 3 - 30+ point games this season, made 78 - 3 pointers this season

Kaleb Hunter, sophomore guard at Granville Central - 2013-2014 honors: All District (only 1A player selected to the All District team, District 6), All Conference, Holiday Tournament All Tournament team; season averages: 20.0 pts per game, 9.0 rebs per game, 2.8 steals per game, 2.0 asst per game, 14 double-doubles this season, scored double figures in every game this season, 14 - 20+ point games this season, 3 - 30+ point games this season

Second the nomination of Scott Meredith from East Surry. Best overall player to come out of the NW1A since Aaron Toomey from Bishop and Wade Moody from Mt. Airy four years ago. Did so many things for East Surry that never show up on the stat sheets.

Mike Hughes from WSP and Edrice Adebayo from Northside I believe. Edrice could be the best prospect in 1A and Mike is the three time MVP in the state finals.

Originally posted by utbb01:
Mike Hughes from WSP and Edrice Adebayo from Northside I believe. Edrice could be the best prospect in 1A and Mike is the three time MVP in the state finals.
Definitely Adebayo , we beat him three times this year , but this guy is unstoppable. If he had a couple of guys who could play around him he would be wearing the ring. Unfortunately for him he doesn't have the luxury the WSP players have of forming a Miami Heat-esque team of all stars around him from a large metropolitan area. The guy plays on a true 1A team from a rural area . He single handedly kept his team in the running for second place in our conference.

Zach Cottrell-Hayesville, soph. 6'5" plays all positions but really effective as point guard/shooting guard. 2 time Smoky Mountain Confrence POY. Lead team in scoring, rebounds, assists and blocks. Two things to consider: he works to involve his teammates and plays his best in big games. He is a mismatch wherever he plays. One of he best players in the state regardless of classification..

Originally posted by utbb01:
I'll most definitely second Mr. Hughes. He's been an absolute beast the last couple of years. Georgia Southern's getting a good one.

I saw the kid from Hayesville play in a losing cause against Cherryville. He is definitely the top player in the western part of the state but the difference in the game which Cherryville won was the play of D J Cunningham's offense and his keeping Cottrell out of his comfort zone. He is one of the best I have seen in a long time. Wonder why he never plays inside with his size and weight.....

Originally posted by Catawbavalleybasketball:
I saw the kid from Hayesville play in a losing cause against Cherryville. He is one of the best I have seen in a long time. Wonder why he never plays inside with his size and weight.....
When I've seen him, he's still gotten a fair amount of second-chance points, so he does take advantage of his size, but, especially in a small school, it just makes sense to have him bring the ball up. He is the best ballhandler, facilitator, and scorer they have, so it makes sense to put the ball in his hands from the get-go instead of putting him on the block where he has to rely on people getting him the ball.

Plus he's a lights out three point shooter, even if he is the tallest kid on the floor most nights, so you'd be crazy not to take advantage of the way he shoots it from deep.

Also, Hayesville generally runs a pretty perimeter-oriented offense without a lot of back to the basket post play, kind of like a European team. It's what they've had the most success with over the years and it's a system that works well for a small school where you can't count on having big kids come through regularly.

Could he average a few more points if he just posted up all night? Maybe. But they'd have to alter their style some to do that, plus they'd most likely lose a lot of his assists (he led the team), and it wouldn't benefit him in the long run, since he's projected as a combo guard in college.

your comments make sense....I remember when Kenny Poston (6"5) was at Cherryville, Bud Black the coach played him at guard getting him ready for NC State. Awful that he busted his knee his freshman year under Valvano. He was a great one in high school playing in the McDonald's game.

Cottrell is definitely one of the best in the western part of NC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT