ADVERTISEMENT

1A Basketball- Across the Board

AHVikingNation

Feb 25, 2016
Newland, NC
What does 1A basketball look like (boys and girls alike) across the state? Top teams and players? Charters/Prep schools still at the top?

Glad to see that Camden County is 4-0. My son played there several years ago under Mark Harnly. I think Mark is one of the best high school coaches in the state at the 1A level. Mark has had some great players over the years at Camden (Ricky Krainiak/Preston Dodson) just to name a couple. Hopefully they can keep it going and make the state playoffs this year.

WS Prep is good again this year as well as Henderson Collegiate. Those 2 are legitimate to win. Lincoln Charter is very, very good again this year. I saw them play a very talented Elevation Prep team that had size everywhere and just flat out destroyed them. Up 30 at half and wasn't that close. Voyager Academy is solid again this year and with big man could be dangerous. Mt Island could be good with all the athletes and players they have but not sure if they can ever get over the hump. Cherokee will surprise people this year as well.
Should be a fun year again in 1A basketball

Cherokee will surprise people this year as well. Should be a fun year again in 1A basketball

Cherokee had a good win over 2A Franklin last night to open up. They lost a really good point guard, but I think will have a good young team competing with Andrews and Hayesville for the SMC title. Andrews' scores are really impressive from that conference so far, but the teams they've played have been pretty bad. Still, they've outscored their two opponents a combined 45-3 in their first quarters then coasted. They return a lot of the same key players from last year's conference runner up--including the conference player of the year--and they added two bigs (6-4 and 6-5) into the mix who didn't play last year as sophomores but got a lot of varsity minutes as freshmen two years ago. Hayesville started one senior, two sophomores, and two freshmen last year--with a few more sophomores playing a lot off the bench--and won the conference then went three rounds deep in the playoffs, so they should be tough again as well. This year and next will probably be the most competitive the SMC has been in the playoffs in a few years. Fingers crossed, anyway.

On another note, where is the freshman point guard from last year's Lincoln Charter team this year? I noticed he was missing from their roster. I also noticed the big kid from Starmount (Bridges) isn't on their roster--where did he end up?

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
WS Prep will not even win their conference, I think defending State Champion Bishop McGuinness will roll thru the conference, as they are a more talented team than what they were last year.

The Bridges kid for Starmount transferred out so he could re-class. Starmount is typically an overrated team anyways.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
WS Prep will not even win their conference, I think defending State Champion Bishop McGuinness will roll thru the conference, as they are a more talented team than what they were last year.

The Bridges kid for Starmount transferred out so he could re-class. Starmount is typically an overrated team anyways.

Unfortunate rural schools in the area have this happen but I do understand. The Cowles girl from WIlkes Central also transferred out to a private school in Winston if I heard correctly. She was a rising junior and holds multiple D1 offers. WC was a state title contender with her. Without her, no chance. But the kids are doing what’s best for them and from that standpoint I completely support their families decision.

Cherokee had a good win over 2A Franklin last night to open up. They lost a really good point guard, but I think will have a good young team competing with Andrews and Hayesville for the SMC title. Andrews' scores are really impressive from that conference so far, but the teams they've played have been pretty bad. Still, they've outscored their two opponents a combined 45-3 in their first quarters then coasted. They return a lot of the same key players from last year's conference runner up--including the conference player of the year--and they added two bigs (6-4 and 6-5) into the mix who didn't play last year as sophomores but got a lot of varsity minutes as freshmen two years ago. Hayesville started one senior, two sophomores, and two freshmen last year--with a few more sophomores playing a lot off the bench--and won the conference then went three rounds deep in the playoffs, so they should be tough again as well. This year and next will probably be the most competitive the SMC has been in the playoffs in a few years. Fingers crossed, anyway.

On another note, where is the freshman point guard from last year's Lincoln Charter team this year? I noticed he was missing from their roster. I also noticed the big kid from Starmount (Bridges) isn't on their roster--where did he end up?
Sounds like some real “fireworks “ last night.

Reactions: uk-te-na
Lincoln Charter playing at Cherokee this Friday night. It should be a high scoring affair for both teams that like to push the pace and launch a lot of 3's.

The Breland kid left to go play at a Charlotte school, not sure which one. He was a special talent, I am sure his name will be atop a recruiting roster for a D-1 school in the next year or so.

Lincoln Charter playing at Cherokee this Friday night. It should be a high scoring affair for both teams that like to push the pace and launch a lot of 3's.
Actually game is on Saturday night. And the Breland kid is playing at Maiden, not any Charlotte schools. Heard he was asked to leave by a source close to the program.

Actually game is on Saturday night. And the Breland kid is playing at Maiden, not any Charlotte schools. Heard he was asked to leave by a source close to the program.

Ok, thanks, I thought he originally was transferring to North Meck. And yes, the game is Saturday, not Friday. I hope the weather doesn't interfere as it should be a good one.

Starmount looking tough without him—win over Bishop McGuinness and 3 point loss to Lincoln Charter recently.

Here are a dozen or so I'm keeping an eye on right now as we generally finish up non-conference play that I think could make noise in the playoffs, in no particular order:

Henderson Collegiate: Sitting about .500, which is actually impressive considering they're playing a schedule you'd expect from a big time private program and have been hanging tight with some really good programs like Greenfield, Moravian Prep, and Mt. Zion. Defending Eastern champs with almost the whole team back.

Washington County: MaxPreps has them 12th in the state regardless of class. 8-0 with 5 of the wins being against larger class schools.

Edenton Holmes: Gave Henderson Collegiate a 2 point game in the early rounds of the playoffs last year, return a lot from that team, and off to a 6-0 start despite a deep playoff run.

Pender: Played a brutal schedule. Sitting at 5-4 with wins over East Carteret and a 7-3 4A Laney team.

Voyager Academy: Off to an 8-2 start. They did take a 25 point loss to Henderson Collegiate, but their 7 footer down low will be tough for most teams to deal with.

Granville Central: 9-3 with wins over 4A Green Hope and Wakefield . Had won 7 in a row after two early losses until losing to an 11-2 4A Middle Creek team by 5 points a few days ago. Junior wing Terence Harcum averaging 26 a game.

Lincoln Charter: They aren't as dominant as the last few years--as evidenced by close calls recently against Starmount and Bessemer City--but they're still 9-1 with a deep, quick team.

East Surry: Got a late start due to the football state title, but have won their first three games easily. May take a while for their skills to come around after football, but they'll certainly have athletes...they have a lot of the same guys from the state title football team, including several of their ACC level football recruits...one of whom is 6-8.

Andrews: 9-0 and none of their games have been close. Excellent guard play and pressure defense, junior heavy team that should be tough this year and next. There's a legitimate knock on their schedule--the only team they've played at this point that has a winning record is Towns Co. (GA). But they did beat Towns--who is 8-3 and just won Battle of the States tournament --by 45 points.

Bishop McGuiness: They've got four losses--including North Rowan and Starmount--but they lost 8 games last year and still gelled to win the state title. They've got a big, well-coached team that will be ready by the postseason.

WSPA: 6-4 record is deceiving because three of the losses are to 3A Mt. Tabor. Made the finals of the Frank Spencer and look to have a big, athletic team as usual.

Hayesville: Well-coached team with a serious talent in 6-8 sophomore Jake McTaggart. Solid sophomore point guard as well. They've taken two close losses to Franklin (8-1) and Towns(GA) (8-3), but last year's team had taken four losses by new year's and peaked late to finish 22-6 and go to the third round.

Cherokee: Played a tough schedule, and have some good wins, but also some bad losses. Gave 2A Franklin their only loss, but have also lost to a sub-.500 Swain team.

Last edited:
The East belongs to Henderson Collegiate. No one will compete with them on the East side. Everyone back from State Runner-up team and playing bigger teams will make them ready.
On the West, I would say WS Prep until proven otherwise. I haven't seen them play but their schedule is too harsh not to think they are good. They will run through the conference and have another high seed going into playoffs Lincoln Charter is a little misleading as they were ahead, according to maxpreps, 42-18 vs a very good Bessemer City team at the half. Looks like they took the foot off the gas a little. Starmount has proven to be a very good team so not a bad win there on a neutral court without one of their starters.. They will be a very tough out. I think Pine Lake Prep has a very good team. Very talented core group and deep team as well. They could push for a regional or finals with the talent. I also think Bishop will be in the mix when all said and done. I don't see any of the mountain teams being able to play with the mentioned above. Until Andrews plays someone, I don't think you can put them in that category. Cherokee is a little down this year and will not be a contender. Santa Ana is good but nothing around him that they have had in the past. They play hard and will win some games at home, tough place to play, but not this year.
Just my opinions which doesn't mean a hill of beans. Best of luck to all the teams as I think it should be a fun 1A season again.

A new school in the mix...Wilson Prep...3 big guys at 6'8", 6'7" and 6' 6" in starting 5

And the 6-7 is the PG, averaging 5 assists. But they also lost to Weldon tonight, so guess Weldon needs to get added to the watch list, too. A lot of good teams in the East besides Henderson Collegiate, although they’re admittedly the favorite.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hon Dines
Washington County will win the East if they can stay healthy. Not very deep, but very athletic!

There are several good boundary 1-A schools in the east. Home court might be the difference in the evenly talented games.
In the 1-A/2-A Coastal Eight the top teams may be Pender and East Carteret both 1-A. Pender won by 12 at home in the first game and will be tough in the return game at east.

Washington County will win the East if they can stay healthy. Not very deep, but very athletic!
Henderson Collegiate will have NO problems coming out of East. If you think Washington can beat them, play them. Sounds like their coach and program will play anybody, anywhere, any time. Reach out!! But HC is head and shoulders above anyone in East and maybe West.

Henderson Collegiate will have NO problems coming out of East. If you think Washington can beat them, play them. Sounds like their coach and program will play anybody, anywhere, any time. Reach out!! But HC is head and shoulders above anyone in East and maybe West.

You may be right, guess we’ll see, but another note about them, anybody know how they went from 8 losses to 4 losses on MaxPreps this week?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT