ADVERTISEMENT

1a and 2a favorites

gdawg74

Nov 4, 2006
Lets get the party started, whos got what and who are the early favorites to play fora title this year??? Boys and Girls???

Great post but all this starts is a "yeah but they recruit, cheat, unfair, etc." debate so maybe we should just hold off. Really love basketball at the high school level so I'm sure there will be some great basketball played across NC. November can't get here quick enough.

I think in 1a girls they return so much you have to look at MA to repeat. I have heard that East Surry has a really good team as well. 1a Boys you have to look at LC to repeat as well although I think the boys in the top 4-5 will be really interesting but my fav is Lincoln Charter.

Just stating who I think the best teams in 1A are, without getting into the fairness of them being 1A:

BOYS:
  • As returning champs with most of rotation back, Lincoln Charter is heavy favorite. I also think that, if anybody beats them, it will be in the west bracket before the state finals.
  • Mount Airy gave Lincoln Charter their toughest playoff game (54-51) and has three double digit scorers back, so I think they should be very tough again this year.
  • W-S Prep lost a lot of size, including a 6-8 D2 recruit, but return several excellent guards and I'm sure they will replace the big kids that graduated somehow.
  • Avery County has made the 4th round 4 years in a row, and I don't see them dropping off much when they have a 20+ point a game scorer returning.
  • A few other teams to watch in the west will be North Stanly and 6-5 high scorer Cameron Lee; a Cherokee team that returns everybody after winning 19 games and their conference tourney; Hayesville with WCU commit Josh Cottrell at point guard and most of what was a young team last year back; and Community School-Davidson, which lost its star, but returns most of the supporting cast from a 20 win team including a pretty good 6-7 kid.
  • In the east, Pamlico went 19-8 with mostly sophomore and juniors last year, so I'd expect them to be very good, although they don't have much size. Southeast Halifax has two high scoring players back from a sectional champ team, although they also don't have much size. Rocky Mount Prep should be tough again as well, lost two very good players, but have a 6-4 star back and I'm sure will reload around him.
GIRLS:
  • Similar situation to the boys side...Mount Airy is returning champ, almost all key players back, should be the favorites--although not as heavy of favorites as Lincoln Charter on the boys side. But like the boys, I think the title goes through the west.
  • A lot of people were of the opinion last year that the real state title game was the Murphy-Mount Airy 4th round game, which Mount Airy won 40-39. Murphy returns almost as much as Mount Airy, including a 6-2 girl with multiple D1 offers, and should be able to challenge the Granite Bears again this year.
  • Cherokee lost a dynamic point guard, but returns everyone else from a 25-3 team that had some great battles with Murphy, and should be tough again this year.
  • Avery County made the west regional final with only 2 seniors on the roster; top 3 scorers all return so I expect them not to have much drop off.
  • In the east, Roxboro Community went 30-4 with a very young team and returns a 20+ point scorer, should be tough again. Defending state runner up Pamlico lost a few of their better players, but they were a deep and balanced team last year and still have a good chunk of their rotation back so I expect them to still be very good. Weldon basically centered the team around 9th and 10th graders, and had a great year (18-3, sectional runner-up), so their future looks bright as well.

Mount Airy boys will be good again this year as they return 3 starters.
WS Prep will be just as good as always. They return 3 starters and I'm sure they filled spots with others. Heard they got the kid from Atkins to transfer over so they just keep going.
Walkertown will be really good. Jalen Cone is a stud and only got better over the summer. They could give MA and WSP a run this year in conference.
Cherokee returns everyone so they will be really good as well.
Lincoln Charter returns all starters and their top 9 guys from last years team. They will be very good again.
Pine Lake returns 3 starters and some guys that sat out last season that will give them a great team. Look for them to make a lot of noise.
North Stanley will be loaded with talent. PG had a breakout summer and they will be tough to beat.
All in all the west 1A will be loaded with teams. Looking forward to a great year of good basketball.

WS Prep will be just as good as always. They return 3 starters and I'm sure they filled spots with others. Heard they got the kid from Atkins to transfer over so they just keep going.
Walkertown will be really good. Jalen Cone is a stud and only got better over the summer. They could give MA and WSP a run this year in conference.
Lincoln Charter returns all starters and their top 9 guys from last years team. They will be very good again.
Pine Lake returns 3 starters and some guys that sat out last season that will give them a great team. Look for them to make a lot of noise.
North Stanley will be loaded with talent. PG had a breakout summer and they will be tough to beat.
All in all the west 1A will be loaded with teams. Looking forward to a great year of good basketball.
Walkertown is now 2A - pretty sure that'll make it hard for them to give MA and WSP a run for the NW1A crown

Reactions: BravesGWY
Walkertown is now 2A - pretty sure that'll make it hard for them to give MA and WSP a run for the NW1A crown
Regardless, how will Walkertown be good? Jalen Cone is only one player. I doubt he stays there after this coming season. Not sure they have much other talent.

I think Jalen Cone will stay at Walkertown, he came there when they added the coach from HP Wesleyan as their head coach, so I think there is a connection between them.

Regardless, how will Walkertown be good? Jalen Cone is only one player. I doubt he stays there after this coming season. Not sure they have much other talent.

Not sure if he will stay, but I know he is there this year. Doubt he stays but who knows. But they will be good this year because of him. He improved and the guys around him weren't bad. Plus, they have a solid coach. Good luck to them moving up, I wasn't aware they moved to 2A.

What PG for North Stanly? Lol. One Team I think you are forgetting is North Rowan I would Think they would be in the conversation as well.

Bryson Childress had a really great summer. Proved he is a college player. Plus the Lee kid is back and they were soph/jr. last season.

Your opinion is respected but he had a great summer and North Stanly will be a team to watch out for a lot because of him. And yes, he did get quite a few colleges that is showing interest.

That's great, but how good would they be if Lee was not there who pretty much carried them last year?

After going back and doing some research I think you have to look at Murphy on the girls side they returned a lot. So on the girls side I think you have to look at Murphy MA Bishop possibly South Davidson. On the boys side you have LC which I think holds the keys. They simply returned too much and I'm not sure teams have what it takes to get over them. North Rowan will be interesting as well. Even though I think LC holds the keys I believe boys and girls both have some teams that could make runs it will be a very balanced year.

1A Girls side has to be Mount Airy, there might be some teams who can keep it close for a little while but the guard play of MA is too good for any 1A team to beat them. Murphy had the size last year, but did not have the guard play. Bishop & East Surry should round out the top 3 in the NW1A. South Davidson will be good, but will miss the guard they lost and it was proven last year they would not have finished in the top 3 of the NW1A. Cherokee should also be strong, but Murphy should have the edge on them in the SMC.

1A boys side has to be Lincoln Charter, they just have too much talent returning, WSPA loses some key pieces, Bishop is the team that I don’t think anyone is talking about, they return key players and picked up some really talented transfers. MA and South Stokes should round out the NW1A. North Rowan could cause some issues with their move down to 1A, but this is Lincoln Charter way ahead of everyone else as long as they are healthy.

Boys: Linc. Charter then everyone else.

Girls: As mentioned several times above, Mt. Airy, Lots of returning take talent should be preseason pick to repeat. Murphy and Cherokee will still battle for the SMC and will challenge Mt. Airy. In the WHC Avery returns most of their scoring and brings a few really good kids up from a great JV team. Sleeper could be Mitchell, return top 8 players and have a couple of freshman that could see playing time. Played Cherokee to a one point game with a chance to win at buzzer in playoffs and lost to Avery twice by like 10 points combined.

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
On the girls side I think there are a couple of teams that could surprise people. Bishop is one that returns a majority of their team and what looks like all of their key players. Easy Surry is another that could shock some people returning about everybody and all of their key players. South Davidson lost a key player but still return a lot, GS is another one that seems to get better every year and have new players coming in. Albemarle who were mostly freshman (6) and sophomores (4) return almost all of their key players and had a great summer. On the west side for the girls I think Murphy and MA have to be the top 2.

LC on the boys side is an easy pick I do think prep will be there as well. What did the MA boys lose? That is a scrappy bunch with a nice ability to stretch the floor with the 3. They seemed to give people fits in the later rounds.

MA lost their third leading scorer and a big (6-3 240) post player, but returns pretty much everyone else, including Caleb Arrington (16 ppg) and Donovan Greene (15ppg, 11 rpg).

1A Girls side has to be Mount Airy, there might be some teams who can keep it close for a little while but the guard play of MA is too good for any 1A team to beat them. Murphy had the size last year, but did not have the guard play. Bishop & East Surry should round out the top 3 in the NW1A. South Davidson will be good, but will miss the guard they lost and it was proven last year they would not have finished in the top 3 of the NW1A. Cherokee should also be strong, but Murphy should have the edge on them in the SMC.

1A boys side has to be Lincoln Charter, they just have too much talent returning, WSPA loses some key pieces, Bishop is the team that I don’t think anyone is talking about, they return key players and picked up some really talented transfers. MA and South Stokes should round out the NW1A. North Rowan could cause some issues with their move down to 1A, but this is Lincoln Charter way ahead of everyone else as long as they are healthy.

Murphy lost heir best post last year. They will add a good guard who transferred in from Hiwassee Dam last year. She sat out last year. Her and the 6'2" returning post player both played at HD for their current coach, she should be use to his system and ready to go.

East has a lot returning from last years team a bunch of jrs who had to start as sophomores. They have a good guard duo returning and a big man who transferred from West Lincoln. They should have a real good year

Last edited:
The Clinton boys will be as loaded and deep as an over stuffed Twinkie on the sinking Titanic.

So much west biased on here.. nauseating. Clinton should be one of the best teams in 2A. East Carteret is always tough in 1A, along with (insert favorite prep school) .

In 2A, East Bladen girls should be the favorite to win the 3 Rivers along with Red Springs. It wouldn't surprise me if the Eagles made it back to the Regionals.

Clinton boys will be really good team that made it to 4th round last season....returning starters and all conference players Kris Williams and Dewan Lesane both a college prospects and absolute studs Trevor Leggett also returning big 6’7....add in getting the brothers Zion Autry and Xavier Howard back at Clinton after a year at Fayetteville 71st both also college prospects.....Clinton will be very athletic as usual and something we dont usual see here is they will be big as my projected starting lineup goes

Williams PG 6’0
Lesane W 6’3
Autry W 6’4
Howard F 6’5
Leggett F/C 6’7

Add in guys like McIntyre ,Brock,Fussell,Kyrie Williams, and Carson Ellis and a host of other coming up from a JV team that went 18-2.....when it comes to the 2A East i expect Clinton to be one of the best

Reactions: swampstomp
1A Girls........I like Mount Airy and Cherokee. Interested in seeing what Bishop looks like. In the East, I don't know. Maybe Roxboro or Plymouth?

1A Boys.......Usual suspects......Lincoln Charter and Winston Salem Prep. I'm keeping my eye on South Stokes, Uwharrie Charter, Albemarle, North Stanly, North Rowan, and Bishop.

In the East......I like either Voyager or East Carteret.

2A Girls.........I think North Surry can get back there. They'll miss Maggie Hawks more than they realize though. Also like East Davidson, Ledford, and Salisbury. Also keep in mind that Atkins is now 2A. In the East, not really sure. I'm not confident in Clinton and Bartlett Yancey getting back there. BY does return their best player though.

2A Boys.........hmmm......not sure there is a heavy favorite. Clinton and Kinston will probably be really tough. Northside-Jax is now 3A. In the West, just don't know.

1A Girls........I like Mount Airy and Cherokee. Interested in seeing what Bishop looks like. In the East, I don't know. Maybe Roxboro or Plymouth?

1A Boys.......Usual suspects......Lincoln Charter and Winston Salem Prep. I'm keeping my eye on South Stokes, Uwharrie Charter, Albemarle, North Stanly, North Rowan, and Bishop.

In the East......I like either Voyager or East Carteret.

2A Girls.........I think North Surry can get back there. They'll miss Maggie Hawks more than they realize though. Also like East Davidson, Ledford, and Salisbury. Also keep in mind that Atkins is now 2A. In the East, not really sure. I'm not confident in Clinton and Bartlett Yancey getting back there. BY does return their best player though.

2A Boys.........hmmm......not sure there is a heavy favorite. Clinton and Kinston will probably be really tough. Northside-Jax is now 3A. In the West, just don't know.

I think with the way Murphy girls competed last year you have to add them to the mix as well. Bishop girls will always be one to keep an eye on.

1a boys I agree across the board. With LC returning what they are I think they are the favorites at this point. Albemarle got a lot stronger.

Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
I saw Lincoln Charter yesterday at Phenom Jamboree and they looked really good. Beat two loaded private schools by 20 plus each game. They will be hard to beat no matter the class. North Meck looked strong and deep as well. West Forsyth looked not as strong as they have but still solid. Northwest G will be good once they get football guys back. Voyager looked really good as well. They play strong defense and looked to be deep. I would like to see them and Lincoln Charter in a state game.

The CCC girls will be loaded. Almost all the teams return their starters.
Ledford (returns all 5), Salisbury (returns 3/5), E Davidson (returns all 5), S Rowan (returns all 5) will all be strong. W Davidson (returns all 5) and N Davidson could probably finish 1/2 in many other conferences in the area.

The CCC girls will be loaded. Almost all the teams return their starters.
Ledford (returns all 5), Salisbury (returns 3/5), E Davidson (returns all 5), S Rowan (returns all 5) will all be strong. W Davidson (returns all 5) and N Davidson could probably finish 1/2 in many other conferences in the area.
What do you see the finish being for the CCC? Will West Davidson and North Davidson make noise?

My prediction of CCC girls:
1-Ledford
2-Salisbury
2-E Davidson
4-S Rowan
5-W Davidson
6-N Davidson
7-Lexington
8-C Davidson
8-Thomasville
10-Oak Grove

That being said I think that North and West could end up taking a game from East/Salisbury/S Rowan.
Ledford- Returns prob the best player in Lyrik Thorne and their defense is great. All five starters can shoot the ball. They will lack however in size. They have no one over 5-9 starting.
Salisbury- Very athletic and Bryanna Troutman is very hard to defend as a 6 ft vers player. Capito is a sharp shooter and the freshman guard from last year is pretty special. They tend to play out of control at times.
East- Anders is prob the best shooter in the conference. East plays fundamentally smart. Good shooters, but lack in speed.
West- Much improved. Return 4 fresh from last year and good size. Fresh pt guard missed out on 2nd part of season with torn ACL. They could surprise some teams but also lose to someone they shouldn't.
S Rowan- Returns all starters. J Downs is a great player, but her support cast will need to step up.
North- Will have good guard play. Will miss Nunn in the middle. Should finish in the middle of the pack.
Lex/CD/TV- Will prob beat up on each other. Dee Long in TV is the returning POY, but has no help. I did hear the middle school team was fairly strong.

I saw Lincoln Charter yesterday at Phenom Jamboree and they looked really good. Beat two loaded private schools by 20 plus each game. They will be hard to beat no matter the class. North Meck looked strong and deep as well. West Forsyth looked not as strong as they have but still solid. Northwest G will be good once they get football guys back. Voyager looked really good as well. They play strong defense and looked to be deep. I would like to see them and Lincoln Charter in a state game.

Lincoln looked outstanding. They've got around seven or eight guys that are just balls of energy. Their full court pressure is going to be a serious problem for most teams. I also never realized Kody Shubert had that kind of bounce. He was dunking with two hands off two feet in warm-ups. That's outstanding for his size.

Didn't see them, but I think North Meck is one of the favorites to win 4A. Agree on both West Forsyth and NW Guilford. NW is going to surprise a few people. Their sophomore big man is going to be fun to watch. He's got some nice footwork.

Also agree on Voyager. They didn't even have Jordan Love at their disposal either. Very impressed with Blake Buchanan. Multi-skilled guy who's a great rebounder. He might be a darkhorse candidate for 1A POY.

Boys: Linc. Charter then everyone else.

Girls: As mentioned several times above, Mt. Airy, Lots of returning take talent should be preseason pick to repeat. Murphy and Cherokee will still battle for the SMC and will challenge Mt. Airy. In the WHC Avery returns most of their scoring and brings a few really good kids up from a great JV team. Sleeper could be Mitchell, return top 8 players and have a couple of freshman that could see playing time. Played Cherokee to a one point game with a chance to win at buzzer in playoffs and lost to Avery twice by like 10 points combined.

Albemarle will challenge LC on the boys side.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT