ADVERTISEMENT

1a & 2a champs

bigoakbuddy

Aug 30, 2018
Should East Surry get it done along with Reidsville, East could call themselves the 1a 2a champs. In 1980 ( I think ) we beat Sylva Webster 12-7 in the regular season, they went on to win the 2a state championship and we won the 1a. Sylva was coached by the one and only Babe Howell. We played Sylva later that year in baseball coached by Babe Howell . Won’t mention his name but one of the best to EVER play at Robbinsville hung a sign in center field ( painted orange and white ) Welcome to Robbinsville home of the 1980 1A - 2A state football champs!!!! This was before there were mercy rules in baseball or 10 runs after 5 innings. Needless to say they showed no mercy. Final score Sylva 36 Robbinsville 3. They guy that hung the sign had the loudest laugh you’ve ever heard. I can still hear him laughing every time one of the Streeter’s would hit one on the airport and Dana Bryson hit about 3 that day. What a day. Sorry to ramble. Go knights!!!!

Should East Surry get it done along with Reidsville, East could call themselves the 1a 2a champs. In 1980 ( I think ) we beat Sylva Webster 12-7 in the regular season, they went on to win the 2a state championship and we won the 1a. Sylva was coached by the one and only Babe Howell. We played Sylva later that year in baseball coached by Babe Howell . Won’t mention his name but one of the best to EVER play at Robbinsville hung a sign in center field ( painted orange and white ) Welcome to Robbinsville home of the 1980 1A - 2A state football champs!!!! This was before there were mercy rules in baseball or 10 runs after 5 innings. Needless to say they showed no mercy. Final score Sylva 36 Robbinsville 3. They guy that hung the sign had the loudest laugh you’ve ever heard. I can still hear him laughing every time one of the Streeter’s would hit one on the airport and Dana Bryson hit about 3 that day. What a day. Sorry to ramble. Go knights!!!!
Those were some great teams !!

If that’s the case then Swain was 2A - 1A state champs in 1979 ;)

Big Knights fan today! Bring it back to the hills boys!

Last edited:
That would've been the youngest Streater brother Eric. Jimmy's last football season at Sylva-Webster was '75 and Steve's was '76. Eric gets overshadowed when people recall the Streater brothers but Eric was the only one to actually play in the NFL.

That would've been the youngest Streater brother Eric. Jimmy's last football season at Sylva-Webster was '75 and Steve's was '76. Eric gets overshadowed when people recall the Streater brothers but Eric was the only one to actually play in the NFL.
A little before my time, I’ve heard some amazing stories about the streater brothers.

And ol'doc broke stretters 100 record

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT