ADVERTISEMENT

#1 Mater Dei vs #2 St. John Bosco

mrhonda

Nov 12, 2012
A great game going between the #1 ranked team in the country and the #2 ranked team
in the country. Mater Dei up 24-10 at the half.

People who accuse Catholic of recruiting should look into these two teams. Catholic has nothing on these CA powers when it comes to transfers lol.

Reactions: T Roy C
De La Salle is also having a good year as per usual. Their only loss is to St. Thomas Aquinas. They have had trouble with the Southern CA powers the last few years but I can't ever really find it in myself to count them out.

Reactions: btango
Mater Dei reloads with rising junior and senior players based on their needs for the upcoming season. That is a yearly strategy with them. SJB not as much but to some degree. This is not unheard of with the big time private schools that can give tuition assistance aka athletic scholarships.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
People who accuse Catholic of recruiting should look into these two teams. Catholic has nothing on these CA powers when it comes to transfers lol.
In all due respect, CC doesn’t belong in the conversation with these 2 national powers. They never have and never will. The real issue isn’t the recruiting aspect of CC, but the fact that they and a couple of other private NC high schools are allowed to play in public leagues.

In all due respect, CC doesn’t belong in the conversation with these 2 national powers. They never have and never will. The real issue isn’t the recruiting aspect of CC, but the fact that they and a couple of other private NC high schools are allowed to play in public leagues.

I never said they belonged in a conversation with national powers. I do find it odd how many haters they have though. I have no problem with them being in the NCHSAA. But I know why some people do. Some of their reasons are justified, many of their reasons are not.

Recruiting is not one of them, yet that is the subject most people like to bring to the table.

I never said they belonged in a conversation with national powers. I do find it odd how many haters they have though. I have no problem with them being in the NCHSAA. But I know why some people do. Some of their reasons are justified, many of their reasons are not.
Tbh, the real reason they are hated so much is just how well coached and how good they have been and that they can get players from other school districts. Some may say this puts public schools at somewhat of a disadvantage.

I can accept that answer. However, I would also question what percentage of CC students are not from Catholic feeder schools, and who are not Catholic, and the answer always seems to be low percentage wise. I don't have the numbers on me but maybe the Catholic guys can answer that because I forgot.

Catholics aren't exactly a majority here in NC, and CC is not the only Catholic school around that area, I believe.

How did this thread turn into CC bashing? This was about Mater Dei and SJB

What’s wrong with them playing public?

What’s wrong with them playing public?

Look at your question.

It has “playing public” in it. They are private. That may have something to do with it.

I remember back when Bishop went on their run of girls state championships in basketball. Very unusual for a 1A team to have 4 6ft+ tall girls.

Makes people wonder.

This was posted on carolinapreps by someone.

"In the case of Cardinal Gibbons and Charlotte Catholic, they are both far larger than any other school in the NCISAA. That would be patently unfair, and in order to find competition against schools of the same size, they joined the NCHSAA. This is a common practice in many states, especially to the north of us, where Catholic schools often compete in the same leagues as public schools.

A few misconceptions that are out there that we should clear up:

The NCHSAA is NOT specifically a "public-school" league. Any school that meets its requirements can join the NCHSAA, and it is an organization that is separate from the North Carolina state government that regulates public schools.

Private parochial schools that join the NCHSAA have two extra restrictions that they must follow, which do not apply to public schools:

1. Any athlete transferring to one of these schools during their high school career must sit out a year.

2. The school cannot give financial aid of any kind (even academic) to any athletes."

Tbh, the real reason they are hated so much is just how well coached and how good they have been and that they can get players from other school districts. Some may say this puts public schools at somewhat of a disadvantage.

Considering the transfers in to some of the top public schools in the state, I don't think that argument holds water any longer. IMHO

Considering the transfers in to some of the top public schools in the state, I don't think that argument holds water any longer. IMHO
I agree. The landscape is changing and it's not just North Carolina. For example Manchester in Midlothian, Va., just outside of Richmond, won the Div 6 state title last season with several D1 transfers.

Look at your question.

It has “playing public” in it. They are private. That may have something to do with it.

I remember back when Bishop went on their run of girls state championships in basketball. Very unusual for a 1A team to have 4 6ft+ tall girls.

Makes people wonder.

I don’t see the advantages with CC playing public

It does for the schools/districts who have no or strict transfer rules. And most of these schools I’m thinking of require the student to live in district.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT