ADVERTISEMENT

#1 Mallard Creek (14-0) vs #3 Wake Forest (14-0)

Because I know them well and what's it to you what somebody else post with all the garbage you post S2V. Everybody don't suck up to the good ole go Scots and his boys
Just can't keep thoughts of me out of your head or my name out of your mouth can you clown?

Last edited:
Lets just drop subdividing. Heckuva lot more simple.

WF would pound any team in the state down in the trenches. Depth, size, and athletic.

Why? This is a damn good question that would not be an issue prior to 2002.

Great game. Thanks to both for a great show and congrats to WF. 0-0 in the 4th quarter start and this is what a championship should look like.

Why? This is a damn good question that would not be an issue prior to 2002.

In case someone reads this and is a bit confused I replied to the poster requesting A play AA champion.

I am well aware of 2002. 1A started the subdividing in 2001 originating with a group of eastern 1A coaches arguing smaller schools could not compete. I do not think it answered the question but it allowed more teams in the playoffs and allowed for four e tea champions each year.

I want to see the best teams play in a title game. I understand the east and west split due to the geography of the state but to go east v west and then do A v AA. If the four best teams are from AA I have seen the best play the best. I do not think any team wants to travel back to the middle of the state for the sixth round of the playoffs!

I would rather see NC and SC go to the same calendar and each state have the same number of champions (5 or 6) and play one another but I do not think the coaches from either state would have much interest.

The NCHSAA and coaches need to go back to square one regarding the playoffs and think way outside the current setup.

[QUOTE="btango, post:

I would rather see NC and SC go to the same calendar and each state have the same number of champions (5 or 6) and play one another but I do not think the coaches from either state would have much interest.

The NCHSAA and coaches need to go back to square one regarding the playoffs and think way outside the current setup.
[/QUOTE]

Btango...Interesting question. How do you think NC would fare in this?

Btango...Interesting question. How do you think NC would fare in this?[/QUOTE]

This thread made a left turn but the season is over so be it...

I think they would hold their own and be in it to win it in every game. I think NC would win more than they would lose this year. Thought the top teams in each classification in NC were strong this year!

NC has eight state champions. SC now has five after also having eight for a few years. Would need to know who the five NC champions would be.

I think Wake Forest and Dutch Fork would be a great game!!! Almost lean to WF with their senior heavy team as DF is very young and will still be tough to deal with the next two years. Then again, no one thought DF would get by powerhouse Fort Dorchester in the rematch and they did by two scores.

Who would be the next champion to take on RH South Pointe, their 4A champ? Most likely Harding. I believe a healthy Harding would be in it with them but would need to slow SP's pace which is easier said than done. That pace also makes it tougher on a team lacking numbers and missing three big time D starters and a banged up superstar that plays both ways. Harding this week would have a hard time but everyone has doubted them for over half their games this year.

I have not seen Dillon, the 3A champion, this year but I do not think they would be significantly better than Havelock if at all. I think Catholic gets the win.

Hibriten or Wallace Rose Hill repping against Abbeville would be tight but I go with NC either way. Hibriten versus WRH would be a crazy good game. WRH lost in a two point barn burner hosting East Duplin which lost by two to Hibriten by an almost identical score.

Lamar, SC 1A champ, would be an underdog to Tarboro.

I wish people would chill about stop sub-dividing and this 4AA team could hypothetically beat that 4A team. The State is not changing the rules people. They get more money doing it this way and we know how the NCHSAA loves to get money for doing nothing! In the end both Harding and Wake are both Champions and nothing should be taken from them. They are the best teams in the State in their Classifications! Now, one thing I would like see go away is the 1st round bye's. With Harding being such a small team by numbers if they had to play another game next week against another top team who knows how it would turn out. They should have to Win 5 games just like every other team to bring home the rings

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
What's sad is how small the crowds were at the 4AA/4A Championship games. South Carolina had maybe 15K+ fans at the 5A game and I would be blown away if there was 4K fans at the Harding game. Not just the State Title games. Every game I went to this year attendance was way down. We have to do better in our communities getting out to see these young men play. GO SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL HIGH SCHOOL!

I wish people would chill about stop sub-dividing and this 4AA team could hypothetically beat that 4A team. The State is not changing the rules people. They get more money doing it this way and we know how the NCHSAA loves to get money for doing nothing! In the end both Harding and Wake are both Champions and nothing should be taken from them. They are the best teams in the State in their Classifications! Now, one thing I would like see go away is the 1st round bye's. With Harding being such a small team by numbers if they had to play another game next week against another top team who knows how it would turn out. They should have to Win 5 games just like every other team to bring home the rings

I agree 100% on Wake and Harding with no need to play another round.

The NCHSAA lost money this weekend on the football championships. By going to four venues they cut their profits but the schools did not want to play Fridays and wanted to play later in the day on Saturday if possible so an additional venue was needed. TV requested games to be at various times so they still had 12 noon games which was the only way to get the TV deal setup.

I can assure you emphatically that the NCHSAA admin would like to do away with subdividing in some form and definitely reduce the number of playoff teams. It is being discussed but in order to make it happen the schools have to be onboard. The NCHSAA brought proposals to the schools three years ago at the region meetings to change alignment structure even going as far (!!!!!) as proposing to align football totally differently than non football sports. One was to align football in five classes. First question (!!!) at two meetings from the floor, "will we still subdivide". That's right, ten football champions. Schools turned down every option which all cut the number of football playoff teams. A couple of reasons the schools did not want to not have two different alignments was it would be too complicated having two different conferences and it could make hurt rivalries and gates because the conferenecs would spread out for football with one or two additional classes.

The NCHSAA proposed to 1A that they drop the number of playoff teams to 32 this year due to the reduced percentage of the schools in the new alignment assigned to 1A. They were 100% against it. Said they did not want to be treated differently than the other classifications. They agreed to the 48 that 4A was doing. This coming from the class that pushed for subdividing and pod systems. Should have been 32 for 1A and 4A with no byes and finish those two classes the week before 2A and 3A.

What's sad is how small the crowds were at the 4AA/4A Championship games. South Carolina had maybe 15K+ fans at the 5A game and I would be blown away if there was 4K fans at the Harding game. Not just the State Title games. Every game I went to this year attendance was way down. We have to do better in our communities getting out to see these young men play. GO SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL HIGH SCHOOL!

Toward the end of the 5A game the crowd improved as the Dillon and Chapman fans came into the stadium. The crowd for the 5A game was terrible and even more so considering Dutch Fork is 20 miles from Williams Brice and Dorman has over 3,300 students and a 90 mile straight shot down I-26. Had the same conversation with Knotts after the game. My guess is that may be 7,000 maximum were in the stands for the 5A game before the other fans came in.

There may have been 4,000 for the 4A game and that was because Scotland did decent. I expected terrible crowds due to the weather but I thought Harding may do ok since they were on a roll and it was "fresh and new" for them.

I wish some other teams would begin to step up. I know fans of the different schools like it, but for me personally, it's getting old seeing the same teams play for the championships all the time. This is especially true for the 4AA level. This is why this year, I was more interested in the lower classfications. But you had the same thing in 3A.

I wish some other teams would begin to step up. I know fans of the different schools like it, but for me personally, it's getting old seeing the same teams play for the championships all the time. This is especially true for the 4AA level. This is why this year, I was more interested in the lower classfications. But you had the same thing in 3A.

I think you are in the wrong part of the USA to get what you want. I think other sports and activities are more important to the kids in this area.

Just can't keep thoughts of me out of your head or my name out of your mouth can you clown?
You are right. Anytime I need a laugh I read some of your great post with your football wisdom. I got your clown by the way

This thread made a left turn but the season is over so be it...

I think they would hold their own and be in it to win it in every game. I think NC would win more than they would lose this year. Thought the top teams in each classification in NC were strong this year!

NC has eight state champions. SC now has five after also having eight for a few years. Would need to know who the five NC champions would be.

I think Wake Forest and Dutch Fork would be a great game!!! Almost lean to WF with their senior heavy team as DF is very young and will still be tough to deal with the next two years. Then again, no one thought DF would get by powerhouse Fort Dorchester in the rematch and they did by two scores.

Who would be the next champion to take on RH South Pointe, their 4A champ? Most likely Harding. I believe a healthy Harding would be in it with them but would need to slow SP's pace which is easier said than done. That pace also makes it tougher on a team lacking numbers and missing three big time D starters and a banged up superstar that plays both ways. Harding this week would have a hard time but everyone has doubted them for over half their games this year.

I have not seen Dillon, the 3A champion, this year but I do not think they would be significantly better than Havelock if at all. I think Catholic gets the win.

Hibriten or Wallace Rose Hill repping against Abbeville would be tight but I go with NC either way. Hibriten versus WRH would be a crazy good game. WRH lost in a two point barn burner hosting East Duplin which lost by two to Hibriten by an almost identical score.

Lamar, SC 1A champ, would be an underdog to Tarboro.[/QUOTE]

Btango,

I think the threads are dissipating and congratulations have been spoken. You get to see the SC powers play and that’s quite interesting. Looks like the gap has closed for the upper tier teams. Kudos to NC for raising the bar for high school football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT