ADVERTISEMENT

#1 EAST DUPLIN (15-0) VS #2 HIBRITEN (15-0) STATE CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD

Usually don’t see a punter as offensive MVP for one team!!!!
usually dont have a punter continuously put the opposing team so close to their own goal line either! the only other offensive player on your team that did much of anything was your receiver that caught the two TD passes. he and the punter were the best in that game.

If if if you didn’t get see hib defense at it’s best 79 an 50 tried but they never play ask Shelby an franklin when Hib defense is at full strength 2 stud defensive ends was hurt.

Reactions: daletec
Punting is a huge part of the game. Many underestimate the impact a punter makes. Field position is everything in a game like this!

Punting is a huge part of the game. Some underestimate the impact a punter makes. Field position is everything in a game like this!

If if if you didn’t get see hib defense at it’s best 79 an 50 tried but they never play ask Shelby an franklin when Hib defense is at full strength 2 stud defensive ends was hurt.
Only missing 1 DE, Sturgis#56 hasn’t played much defense at all this year, and though #82 improved a lot this year he had only played football the past 2 years so “stud” might be exaggerating a little

you guys won because you made the most plays that counted. but basically all you did on offense were those two pass TD's and thats it. in the end though you still deserved to win because you did just enough to score more points than us. but dont make it sound like you could have done much more on offense than what you did. you had to work your butts off to score what you did score.

96 you're absolutely correct. We deserved to win because we did make those plays. The HB option pass was the PERFECT call at the PERFECT time. That and the play action TD pass were all we had offensively. The ED defense, like you mentioned during the week leading up to the game, was 100% legit. The d-line got off their blocks like no one we had seen all year. However, I think the Hibriten defense was every bit as good. We gave up a big run early and another later in the game, but I thought they were, again, every bit as outstanding. ED offense couldn't get anything going most of the second and third quarters. We simply just capitalized on one more big play than you guys.

The only thing I really roll my eyes at is the "if our running back hadn't got hurt" excuse. All week we heard ED had "5 or 6 great backs". If one isn't playing well, y'all could just plug in another. Why the change of heart/opinion after the fact?

Not sure if you've touched on this or not, what all does ED have coming back? How solid was the JV squad the past two years? I know HHS has a lot coming back for 2018. Any chance for a potential rematch (rest easy Shelby, South Point, etc fans -- not saying it's a lock ha)? Like I said in a previous post, ED would've been a worthy champion. I wouldn't mind seeing these two programs go at it again down the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: 96panther
Usually don’t see a punter as offensive MVP for one team!!!!
In 2005 when Clinton last won a state championship (proudly my son was on that team and played both ways) in that game vs Lincolnton which Clinton defeated it was a classic defensive field possession game (much like the ED vs Hilbritian game) Clintons most valuable defensive player was their punter Cody Stanley. He kept the vaunted Lincolntom offensive in the hole, highlighted by a very important 63 yard punt which flipped the field and contributed greatly to the win.

Punting is a huge part of the game. Some underestimate the impact a punter makes. Field position is everything in a game like this!
Very very true statement , problem with some teams is they're so dominant during the regular season, they rarely have to punt. In the late playoffs it becomes very very important and if you fail to use it it could be costly

96 you're absolutely correct. We deserved to win because we did make those plays. The HB option pass was the PERFECT call at the PERFECT time. That and the play action TD pass were all we had offensively. The ED defense, like you mentioned during the week leading up to the game, was 100% legit. The d-line got off their blocks like no one we had seen all year. However, I think the Hibriten defense was every bit as good. We gave up a big run early and another later in the game, but I thought they were, again, every bit as outstanding. ED offense couldn't get anything going most of the second and third quarters. We simply just capitalized on one more big play than you guys.

The only thing I really roll my eyes at is the "if our running back hadn't got hurt" excuse. All week we heard ED had "5 or 6 great backs". If one isn't playing well, y'all could just plug in another. Why the change of heart/opinion after the fact?

Not sure if you've touched on this or not, what all does ED have coming back? How solid was the JV squad the past two years? I know HHS has a lot coming back for 2018. Any chance for a potential rematch (rest easy Shelby, South Point, etc fans -- not saying it's a lock ha)? Like, I said in a previous post, ED would've been a worthy champion. I wouldn't mind seeing these two programs go at it again down the road.
Clinton won the JC championship the past 2 years

Not sure if you've touched on this or not, what all does ED have coming back? How solid was the JV squad the past two years? I know HHS has a lot coming back for 2018. Any chance for a potential rematch (rest easy Shelby, South Point, etc fans -- not saying it's a lock ha)? Like, I said in a previous post, ED would've been a worthy champion. I wouldn't mind seeing these two programs go at it again down the road.
we did have 5 or 6 very good backs, but for some reason our coach decided not to run them much vs you guys. most of the time after Scott got hurt we werent even in our usual Wing T formation from what i could tell. Benson and Scott were definitely our best two backs but those other guys were very good too!

JV this year came down to the final game - Clinton won at ED 8-6 - ED finished 9-1. In 2016 ED shared the title 3-ways with N. Brunswick and Northside (both now 3A). Clinton and WRH not in the ECC then.

youre right but dont count ED out just yet. we had a very good JV who beat WRH badly and only barely lost to Clinton for the JV title. we might not be as good as this year but we should be no slouch.
you guys did beat WRH soundly on in the JV game. My son plays for the dogs JV. Our players gave up after the forward pass that the dogs thought was a backwards pass. the score snowballed from there. Although we played better in the 2nd half.

Reactions: 96panther
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT