ADVERTISEMENT

1-A and 1-AA playoffs predictions

Mt. Airy took a page out of the Murphy playbook. In the battle of tallest midgets who gets the trophy? Neither Murphy or Mt. Airy have EVER played any team of consequence outside their divisions. NEVER. Both do all they can to keep the numbers low for the playoffs. They both load up on talent from other schools legally, thump their chests every season about how dominant of programs they have all the while the rest of the state knows full well how they have accomplished their many achievements. But go ahead, keep thinking that just because you win you are respected. Trust me, no one will tell you any different outside your fan base. Outside of that....well....that's a totally different story.
I’d say the Thomasville teams that played Mount Airy from 2009-2013 were pretty decent. All of them made it to the second or third round of the 2-A playoffs. The Bulldogs won their conference three of those and finished second twice on 3-4 point losses to Salisbury.
Mount Airy went 3-2 against us, so that NEVER comment may be a little overstated.

Trash small 1A all you want, but last time I checked a single small 1A trophy is all Mt Airy has at the 1A level.

Now Mbd fan I must say you and I talk and discuss a lot of football away from this site. Murphy is one of my favorite teams to watch, lots of respect for the bulldog program and tradition, I haven’t read the whole thread as most is bs but I do read your post cause you are in the know, but now I must ask — what’s the record head to head between the bears and dogs? How bout the bears and the whole smc?

Now Mbd fan I must say you and I talk and discuss a lot of football away from this site. Murphy is one of my favorite teams to watch, lots of respect for the bulldog program and tradition, I haven’t read the whole thread as most is bs but I do read your post cause you are in the know, but now I must ask — what’s the record head to head between the bears and the dogs
head to head is 3-2 in Mt Airy's favor. Much respect for the Mt Airy program from me gdawg, you know that. But as people keep coming on here trashing Murphy, I'm not just going to sit back. You know me better.

Reactions: gdawg74
Murphy was very fortunate to leave comet land with a win last year. They had a very good team last year. Im guessing they are just as good, if not better, this season. I'd rather not make the trip back to New London come playoff time.....
Adding Rhone gives them a two headed monster in the backfield with Davis but their transfer quarterback from West Stanly isn't as good as last years quarterback. The way to beat North is to stop the run and make the quarterback beat you.

Reactions: ProBro
I would love to know who all this talent Murphy has loaded up on is. I cant think of a single member of Murphy's football team who wasn't at Murphy High from 9th grade on. Two kids that I can think of that moved to Murphy in middle school, if thats loading up then Murphy isnt very good at it.

I’m curious about this for Mt. Airy as well. My high school aged kids have been in the system since kindergarten. With that being said, I can only think of one or two guys on the team (1st or 2nd string—admittedly I don’t know all of the kids on the sidelines, but if they’re not playing they’re likely not recruits) who haven’t gone to school with my kids for a long time, most since elementary school. I believe there’s one kid who’s family moved from Stokes County after N. Stokes cancelled their football program; and then a highly publicized (on social media) transfer from North Surry when a kid moved in with his mom who lived in the district, after his dad relocated to another town. I suppose these are the legal transfers being referenced. In my opinion, both of these guys are talented and contribute a lot to the team, but one has been out for an injury for the last four or five weeks, and though I’m sure he’s been missed, it looks like the team worked together to pull through. There is a public charter school in Mt. Airy that until a few years ago (maybe 2014 or 15) only went through the 8th grade. Obviously transfers resulted from this, but I think mainly for kids who already lived in the district. I know of friends in county districts who were hit with roadblocks when they opted to try and transfer into the city due to compatibility of size, etc., but either way, I wouldn’t think that many of those transfers would have been because of sports. So, I too am curious who all of this other transferred talent is. The Green twins, #7 Shelton, #6 Smith, QB Poindexter, #12 Hill—they probably all went through the MA little league program. I realize that there is a lot more talent than these listed, but I can’t think of any who are transfers.

No need to be upset...i really wasnt trashing a small 1a title..but everyone knows it doesn't get the respect that the Big Boy trophy gets. Heck I would take one if Ew ever made it that far and was in small 1a.

Ok, for all those who bash Murphy, Mt. Airy, even all of little old 1a. I have asked this a number of times and have never gotten a real good answer.

How should a 1a schedule look? Mallard Ck, Wake Forest, Catholic, who should 1a schools be playing? If not schools relevant to there size why aren't 4a schools playing small college teams? If 1a only can play larger and better why not eveyone?

Mitchell has been accused of this as well. Mitchell plays 2 1a schools in conference, 1 private school in Canon and 1 home/private from Tennessee. They have played Erwin 3a for the past 2 years and McDowell 4a for ever. Everyone else is 2a. Should they only play teams with 2x, 3x the number of students and get physically killed every week when it is ok for larger schools to only play schools of equal size or smaller.

No doubt 1a or 1aa football is weaker than 3 or 4a that's the point of classifications. Just seems NO one outside of 1a gets this. Please someone created a good schedule for a typical 1a program. Remember to figure in distance and location as well. Sometimes programs such as Mt. Airy, Murphy and Robbinsville have a hard time getting anyone to schedule them. 1a schools don't want the beating and larger schools don't want the chance of losing to a 1a school.

Anyway sorry for getting off topic.

Go Mountaineers.

Yeeeeees!!!.Watchin you SMC guys implode is totally epic and is one for the ages. All for a small 1a title. LOL, this does us outsiders some good!!!! Go Murphy bring it home.!! Robbinsville posters quit all the crying. You act like you have no shot at the title. You have talked up the plethora of good backs and linemen you have. Now, just make it happen and be glad both of you guys are in small 1a, because neither have a shot in big 1a. That's not intended as disrespect. Barring injury, or an epic meltdown, no one is beating Mt.Airy, in Mt.Airy, during the playoffs this year.

You maybe right about nobody having a chance in Mt Airy but Murphy is a different beast this year. Their line is much better and the backs are physical. I think this years team is better than last and lol I’m a Hayesville fan.

Reactions: mbdfan
You maybe right about nobody having a chance in Mt Airy but Murphy is a different beast this year. Their line is much better and the backs are physical. I think this years team is better than last and lol I’m a Hayesville fan.

North Stanly will be a tough out for anyone. They are danged good. I'm hoping for a rematch with Murphy and/or a game with Mount Airy. Those would be fun to watch.

Let’s be honest, we are all fans of our teams and we talk smack back and forth in fun. Old Gridde and I jab at one another often, tha print is fun to get rowled up. Mbd fan is a wealth of knowledge on the smc and we talk often. I’m honest with this one , the West is gonna be a blast to watch, this is the year where we should have Friday night and Saturday night games so us fans could catch them all!! North Stanley is legitimate, Murphy is always Murphy and real good , This ain’t your typical East Surry squad , They are Real good , Mitchell is Real good , and this is quite possibly the best Bears team on offense since 2008 and 2009.Anybody can beat Anybody this year, ain’t no upsets . The West is gonna be very well represented in the ship this year. Tarboro is good REAL GOOD, but this is the most balanced WEST regional in a long time. If anybody is gonna pull an upset in the ship then one of the teams mentioned above is more than capable, that’s my take , good luck to everyone Friday night , hopefully injury free so we can see everybody’s best come playoff time

Warning guys mitchell county is the real deal. They have the biggest line in wnc. They will be extremely hard to beat in ledger.

Warning guys mitchell county is the real deal. They have the biggest line in wnc. They will be extremely hard to beat in ledger.

They had some guys last year who were HUGE and they were on JV..can’t imagine how big they are as Juniors..

Heard a rumor East Wilkes may actually be close to the cutoff for 1a this year? Is there any possibility to this?

Either way EW has such bad Defense, they will be out in the 1st rd. I Think the coaches and players did well and definitely overachieved this year. But their defense is horrid right now.

Thats not what I was asking about, just clarification as to if it was true. Thanks for your professionalism.

Looking back at all this discussion of numbers is interesting. If you want to clarify the picture, just back up and look at the numbers of the kids a high school can draw football talent from prior to kids moving around in HS due to early college, alt school, etc. That is a more accurate picture of the TALENT POOL that a football program draws from, because not many 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th graders that want to play football in high school are going to leave to go to early college or something... so yeah, the numbers for early college or alt school may or may not come off the "official numbers" depending on what any given school district decides, but the numbers any school is drawing football talent from are right there to see for anyone interested enough to do a little digging and math.

Wasn't unprofessional...but i just had watched them play WC.....and was a bit perturbed at their efforts on defense....no one knows the true numbers until they are released...but i def meant what i said. No disrespect intended.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT