ADVERTISEMENT

#1 1A Team Discussion

Xman8balla

Oct 5, 2006
Charlotte NC
Ill get it started when it comes time to vote if both teams are still undefeated ill have to vote East Carteret & Cherryville tied for 1st place In the rankings. I would love to see this matchup in the state title game. Good guard play is always a sight for sore eyes.

Wait until you see Albemarle boys varsity. Their first game is Monday vs West Stanly. They only had 3 losses last year including wins in the playoffs over Mt. Airy And Bishop before losing to WSP in Greensboro and they are better this year. Had 2 very talented Freshman come up plus they returned everybody but 2. They are better this year in a big way.

No they didn't play Monroe boys. That was Albemarle girls vs Monroe who is ranked #7 in the observer sweet 16 poll out of all classes. Monday will be Albemarle Boys first game. They are big and athletic. The two freshman who came up and one is starting I believe but both boys are 6'5. This team is good. Better than last year.

Albemarle girls will be something to reckon with as well. It took Monroe everything they had plus a 49-16 free throw advantage to beat Albemarle. They were without Davis-Hill and Robinson went down in the early stages of the 3rd with Albemarle leading and on a 8-0 run. What I came away with from the Albemarle game was yes they lost and were missing a lot but this team as a whole is better. So you add in a healthy Robinson and Davis-Hill this team will be really good.

A great game to get to is the North Stanly game simply for the atmosphere. They moved those games to Pfeiffer this year which holds 1500 I think and it will probably be close to capacity. Then of course both guys and girls will be playing at the Mt. Pleasant Christmas tournament.

Cool I have you guys down on my list to see right along with Northside Pinetown Kinston and East Carteret & Cherryville and Hayesville

Winston Salem Prep will be up there again. They've reloaded. Watched them put up a pretty decent fight against Wesleyan.

Originally posted by Chute Boxe Hero:
Winston Salem Prep will be up there again. They've reloaded. Watched them put up a pretty decent fight against Wesleyan.
We know they reloaded. The word Prep told us that.

rolleye0011.r191677.gif

BK based on recent findings, 3D does not agree with your opinion on non traditional schools, and therefore you should refrain from posting anything other than Prep and Bishop do things the right way and everyone should accept that and move on LOL

Prep means they go out and recruit/select players from a certain larger geographic area (perhaps an entire county, perhaps multiple counties), as opposed to being restricted to a small geographic area, as are the other 98+% of schools in the state. And since they only select a few hundred kids, they play at the 1A level against the other small schools in the state. In sports parlance, that is what prep means....

So you are saying WS Prep "recruits"....really...got some evidence to go with that allegation?

I am sorry to say that I will not be able to entertain myself with this thread any longer. There is nothing that I enjoy more than to see someone try to defend something that there is not defense for, and I have had many smiles brought to my face by these efforts. But when someone hides behind the proof word for Prep recruiting, I will not be able to waste any more time reading or posting on this topic. It is a known fact that one of the primary responsibilities of a coach in Forsyth County is to try to protect the athletes that they have and find replacements for the ones that they lose. You can rest assured that there are plenty of encouraging words thrown at prospective athletes. You can call it recruiting or not but that is exactly what it is. Honestly I have not heard that prove it phrase used by someone that had graduated from Middle School in many years, but now I have and all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!

Please,just shut up.You can try a million ways to justify it in your mind,but it just ain't right.

Sorry if I offend you Allegheny but in the real world when you publicly accuse people of wrongdoing you should have evidence of that wrongdoing. Coaches in this state have sued other coaches and AD for just that reason.

I could honestly care less about the Preps, Day Schools, and Academies of the world. They are well within the rules as they are currently laid out there. I don't know anything about recruitment and such but I do know that if you have a successful program and your school is well known to give your STUDENT a leg up on getting into a good school, then certain people gravitate to that. And when I say recruitment, my definition is a coach approaching a person directly and saying we want your son or your daughter on our team and at our school. The program and school can recruit just by doing what it does by winning on the court, field, and classroom. Parents and kids want to go where they feel lik ethey will be most successful. I can support that 150% as long as it is within the rules.

Now all that aside there is a decided advantage for some of these schools over your "traditional" school because they can draw students from a wider and unrestricted area? I think that is the issue for most of these gripes but I could be wrong. Is it breaking the rules? Absolutely not. Is it an advantage over traditional smaller schools? Absolutely yes. 3daughters would you agree with this?

Now all that aside there is a decided advantage for some of these schools over your "traditional" school because they can draw students from a wider and unrestricted area? I think that is the issue for most of these gripes but I could be wrong. Is it breaking the rules? Absolutely not. Is it an advantage over traditional smaller schools? Absolutely yes. 3daughters would you agree with this?

+1

Originally posted by gfm4343:

+1
That's the easiest advantage to point to. But also, on a structural level, when you're a charter school or parochial school, you have a school full of kids that applied, entered a lottery, or otherwise made a unilateral decision to be there (or at least their parents did). Those are the types of kids more likely to be aiming for college and involved in a lots of extracurriculars, with supportive home lives (both financially and otherwise). There are plenty of kids that fit that description at "traditional schools" too, but they're mixed in with more kids who just don't want to be there or who don't have a great support system...so basically the enrollment at a parochial or charter school looks about the same as a "traditional" 1A school, but you may have more of the type of kids who are likely to participate in and excel in extracurricular activities.

gal...I would agree with your statement 100%. What my issue is with the same posters year after year for the last decade taking what I consider to be cheap shots at certain schools. There is no "denial" on my part, I understand the frustrations of many posters with the system, and I would be right there with them if the proverbial shoe was on the other foot.

I've had to purchase 7 state rings for my daughters and not once have I ever gloated about it nor have you ever seen any Bishop fan on this site gloat. We understand that we have an advantage and that the playing field is not even. Every single Bishop fan on this site has said the same thing for years.

Our conference, the NW1A is more or less at the epicenter of this issue because we have the two most prominent "advantaged" schools, Bishop and WS Prep. We also have the public school, Mt. Airy, that is incredibly "advantaged" because of how they attract athletes from other districts and from Virginia. Heck, the local school that has the most right to complain is East Surry. Had Bishop not been in the picture they would have a bunch more banners in their gym. Even though they are in the same county as Mt. Airy their transfer rules are significantly more stringent than Mt. Airy and it has hurt them in many sports for years.

My issue and many other's issue from this area is when Mt. Airy posters, photo, buzz/bearman come on here and cheap shot Bishop and/or WS Prep knowing that there is not a level playing field for them either as many of their football and basketball players are playing out of district. It is all too common in this part of the state and has always been "looked the other way" because it was the old time classic public schools. When a Starmount coach gets the best player in Starmount history from Puerto Rico to live with them for 4 years and lead them to state championship games not a big deal, just business as usual in this part of the state. There has never been a level playing field long before Bishop and Prep came into the picture. The idea that many public schools, at least in this neck of the woods, are "boundary schools" is a complete fallacy.

Bishop was involved with drafting the proposed amendment to move our girls team (and also our golf team) up in classification. No Bishop parent or fan had any issue whatsoever with that arrangement, it made a lot of sense. That same amendment would have also move up WS Prep boys to 2A and if they won 2A they would move up to 3A. That amendment was not passed but posters have come on here an erroneously said that it would have passed except schools just didn't vote. That is simply false. Other posters have said it is about the money which escapes me completely.

Even though my kids are out of school I never miss a game, home or away. If Bishop is not playing I am in WS, Pilot Mountain or Mt. Airy watching games. All of these schools have great kids and great fans and even with the frustrations I have also been treated kindly. Bottom line, Bishop does not recruit, we do not give scholarships, the great majority of our players as shown on our website are Catholic kids not kids from wherever, and those who are not are willing to pay tuition and spend every day in Catholic religion classes and attend Catholic masses. Not a lot of non-Catholic parents can/will do that Several very good non-Catholic players initially came to Bishop and left because of the cost. Those players are also shown on the website.That all being said, there is no doubt that Bishop has built in advantages.

Okay the rules are what the rules are and we are now going to switch terms again. We started with boundary vs non boundary, then we went to traditional vs non traditional, and it looks like the new buzz words will be advantaged vs disadvantaged. With that said, who are the best disadvantaged teams in the west. Be careful though we may have to come up with a 3rd category of less disadvantaged. The only thing I can say is that my Alleghany Trojans are a boundary, traditional, and disadvantaged team, but they are gonna be pretty dang good before this season is over.

Just for clarification, that amendment that was voted down by the NCHSAA Board would NOT have moved up WS Prep. I remember reading at the time that it would have affected non-boarding parochials and charters but not magnets like WS Prep. Alleghany- I agree with you that Alleghany is a "disadvantaged" school or whatever the term as they have no chance to get any kids from outside of their district due to their location. Alleghany earns everything they get. What they did this football season was very impressive as was last basketball season and perhaps this one as well it appears. Kudos to the Trojans for sure.

Glad that Allegheny is having such a good year all the way round. Great run in football. Please know that you are somewhat new to the site as far as I can tell and haven't had to see this issue beaten to death for a decade.

Thanks 3D the football boys had a great year for us and I am hoping that basketball is going to be similar.

Originally posted by BK13T-$:
Originally posted by Chute Boxe Hero:
We know they reloaded. The word Prep told us that.
Rocky Mount Prep and Pine Lake Prep must not have gotten the memo.....

Dosso thanks for the post about the Trojans. Sorry that I missed it and did not acknowledge. It really does seem special in our small community when our kids have success. What makes it so special is that they are our kids. the parents work together, go to church together and live in the same neighborhoods. Heck I don't have a kid playing football or basketball, but you will have to come up with a pretty good reason for me to have to miss one of their games, and it has been that way for years. Supported them when they were bad and support them now that they are good. Always nice for someone from the outside to notice and positively comment on the kids success.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT