ADVERTISEMENT

WMAC 10/12

I agree we have gotten some transfers over the years, but Asheville’s best teams....The teams that have been to the fourth round and beyond like 02,03,04,05,07 had 0 or maybe 1 transfer. I’ve said it on here before, many Asheville fans that I’ve spoken with think the head coaching search in 2015 was a sham. I’ve spoken to at least a dozen people that think they knew who the next coach was going to be 10 years ago.

Reactions: mbdfan
I agree we have gotten some transfers over the years, but Asheville’s best teams....The teams that have been to the fourth round and beyond like 02,03,04,05,07 had 0 or maybe 1 transfer. I’ve said it on here before, many Asheville fans that I’ve spoken with think the head coaching search in 2015 was a sham. I’ve spoken to at least a dozen people that think they knew who the next coach was going to be 10 years ago.
With the coach at Tuscola now, seems like the same thing, before Pursley retired, I am pretty sure they already had their minds made up with the current coach.

I don’t wanna get into naming players. But Erwin and ACR has had Asheville transfers. Big time names to. It wasn’t just Asheville

A lot of those kids left other schools in middle school or jv to go to Asheville before they became big time players. I personally think that's why Asheville is a little down and other local schools are up. The kids are staying in the system. I've seen it a lot at ACR.

A lot of those kids left other schools in middle school or jv to go to Asheville before they became big time players. I personally think that's why Asheville is a little down and other local schools are up. The kids are staying in the system. I've seen it a lot at ACR.
What players are you referring to? I’ll like to know. Because I can only think of 3 or 4 that transfered in since 2001 that was a impact on our team.

Martese Jackson went to Asheville high and then became Erwin's best player.
Aj Marion went to Asheville high and became one of Reynolds best players.
Denzel McKnight went to Asheville high and became one of Erwin's best players.
Jeffrey Wallace went to Asheville high and became one of Reynolds best players.
Okoye porter went to Asheville high and became one of Reynolds best players.

Those are just the guys that went to Asheville high and then transferred. Not to mention the numerous others that went to asheville middle and then transferred or the guys who went to other schools but lived 2 miles from Asheville high.
Asheville high has lost AND received players

Wallace and Porter were good players at ACR, but best, I’m not sure about that, neither on is listed in our record books at their positions. I’m not even sure Porter finished at ACR, I think he left and went back to Asheville.

Correction, Porter threw 77 career passes over two years for 655 total yards, he wasn’t our best player.

Correction, Porter threw 77 career passes over two years for 655 total yards, he wasn’t our best player.
I’d say if the Reynolds coaching staff is letting you throw it 77 times they think you’re a pretty good player. And if you’re starting, you’re one of the best players on your team. Maybe not all time great record book type player, but good enough to help any team in wnc. I am just trying to respectfully say that Erwin Reynolds and Asheville have gotten and lost players. Asheville is in the midst of one of the worst 3-4 year runs in history and in that time I’d bet we were in the top 2-3 most talented/athletic teams in the mountains.

Last edited:
It goes both ways but there were some years when it seemed like we lost more to Asheville. Even this year there is a kid that played for Erwin last season named Vyshonne Franklin playing for Asheville. He had some big runs against Erwin earlier this season. I used to have some real battles on here with the Asheville guys about transfers but it has gotten a lot better and I admit Erwin has had a few as well. I was not aware that Martese Jackson went to Asheville high. If he did he did not play football which is amazing because of how good he was. His brother played for Erwin and I was told he transferred in from out of state. It's funny because Erwin has a kid name Rashod Chaffin who played basketball all 3 years at Erwin and never played football. This year staring rb Don Mosley gets hurt mid season and this kid comes in and looks like 4 year starter like Martese Jackson. It sucks because he is a senior but I will take him for a few games though.

1. The talent at Asheville High during the last 3-4 years has been the biggest reason for the records. The dynamic of kids playing football in the city school district is changing every year. It is not trending in a good direction for the future of the football program. The "dudes" that used to play at AHS are not there. A large majority of them are not living in the city district anymore. The families have moved to more affordable areas of Buncombe county with the changes that have come to the downtown area.

2. The coaching staff will continue to struggle as long as there are not more coaches in the high school itself. If I'm not mistaken there is one guy on staff that is in the high school on a daily basis. That is the HC. To have a successful program you can NOT have one guy in the building by himself. From what I've been told, coaching in the city school system is no longer a place that teachers want to spend their time. The lack of respect or even care that coaches receive is laughable.

3. The weight training class being taken away is another huge reason for the results. This is literal "football class". Expecting high school kids to handle on their own what is accomplished during this time is a joke.

4. Say what you want about the coaching staff and who they put on the field. No high school coach in this country keeps the better players on the sidelines unless there is an academic, attitude, lack of effort, or knowledge of plays problem.

Give it five to ten more years and you might see Asheville High School being a non-football school in the NCHSAA.

1. The talent at Asheville High during the last 3-4 years has been the biggest reason for the records. The dynamic of kids playing football in the city school district is changing every year. It is not trending in a good direction for the future of the football program. The "dudes" that used to play at AHS are not there. A large majority of them are not living in the city district anymore. The families have moved to more affordable areas of Buncombe county with the changes that have come to the downtown area.

2. The coaching staff will continue to struggle as long as there are not more coaches in the high school itself. If I'm not mistaken there is one guy on staff that is in the high school on a daily basis. That is the HC. To have a successful program you can NOT have one guy in the building by himself. From what I've been told, coaching in the city school system is no longer a place that teachers want to spend their time. The lack of respect or even care that coaches receive is laughable.

3. The weight training class being taken away is another huge reason for the results. This is literal "football class". Expecting high school kids to handle on their own what is accomplished during this time is a joke.

4. Say what you want about the coaching staff and who they put on the field. No high school coach in this country keeps the better players on the sidelines unless there is an academic, attitude, lack of effort, or knowledge of plays problem.

Give it five to ten more years and you might see Asheville High School being a non-football school in the NCHSAA.

Welcome to the board the1truth. You seem to have a lot of inside knowledge about Asheville. Hope you are wrong about the school being a non-football school. I have exchanged words a lot over the years with Asheville fans on here but I have always respected them.

I agree with a lot what you say.
One thing though is that Asheville highs football team is about 80% black. Which is what it has been roughly for 20 years since I’ve been watching.
The school has also stayed roughly the same size with 1,200 students give or take 100 some years.
It’s not like all of a sudden the football team is full of former soccer players and Hacky sack players and the number of students has dropped down to 2a levels.
So same school size, same demographics.
We just aren’t winning

Although it could be that the amount of guys coming out for football are being replaced at the school by Bernie Sanders grandkids (great grandkids) which explains why we have 30 guys on the roster and enka has 60

Reactions: WNCfballFan
Well that would be exactly one of my points. The demographic of the area in which AHS pulls its students is DRASTICALLY different. This has a direct correlation to the football program. Look at the sports that are down and the sports that maintain or get better at AHS. Its very clear to see what is happening. The football team that is on the field for AHS this year is sadly not what it has been in the past. Don't get me wrong, there are some really good players on the team but as a whole there are guys starting that wouldn't have sniffed it in the past.

Reactions: AhsCougar1
i think all 3 teams asheville erwin and acr have had kids transfer in and out of each others programs. its no secret and its done all over the country.you cant blame a kid if he leaves to help himself. i dont anyway. just my opinion

Reactions: CougarsOfAHS
Why is pisgah with 3a numbers over 1000 enrollment playing in 2a conf, more students then tuscola ?

Reactions: 91ths
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT