ADVERTISEMENT

Week 2 Picks

Slasher Killer

Sep 23, 2010
Mount Airy at East Surry

Ahh yes this annual matchup. MA’s been waiting for years for this game as it’s their chance to air their grievances vs a young and down and out East team who had literally their worst performance in years up last week up on the mountain vs Robbinsville. Their defense struggled to control the run as Rville ran for nearly 350 and passed only when they needed to and that was for over 100. East meanwhile was lucky to get to 200 yards which is an unheard of offensive total for the Cards as of late. MA meanwhile could do no wrong last week as they exploited a couple of early errors by my Hounds to that result. East cannot do that this week if they want to stand a chance, East’s best hope for a close matchup is that the first offensive drive results in points and puts MA on the fence early, but even then I doubt it will do no good.

MA’s powder keg of a backfield will be too much for the Cards to handle. If they couldn’t stop the mountain version of a power run offense then they can’t stop this backfield for sure.

East Wilkes at Surry Central

Last week the Ronda Cards overperformed quite a bit, while the Golden Eagles were the opposite. The Cards came in with a very smart gameplan and exploited West Wilkes who were the heavy favorite and showed that they can be played with at a certain way to be knocked off. SC meanwhile had a hard time stopping Alleghany’s ball control last week minus a few big throws here and there on offense there was never much doubt as to who was going out on top in that one, I was very surprised. SC’s defense has got to have a better performance to hang in the game tonight, I just don’t see it.

Elkin at West Wilkes

Last week the Blackhawks showed they were truly mortal as EW exploited them with a solid game plan, and played poised enough on defense to shut WW’s offense down on 2 big drives. As I’ve said before that game was one that needed to be well played for West in terms of momentum and they missed the boat on that. It shows two things; either they are still a work in progress or they just aren’t there yet. This week will show a ton for both teams. Elkin had meanwhile a convincing yet not sexy win over North Wilkes last week, they came out on the first drive and made NW’s line look quite inept and blocked a punt. However neither team really had a good offensive night as both struggled to crack 200 yards, Elkin was just more opportunistic.

This week Elk’s travel to the creek which will probably be another wacky game between these two. If it’s any as crazy as the JV game last night (Elkin won with a walkaway FG,) then this one could be a last minute affair. Both teams here honestly have a lot to prove still. Elkin’s offense needs to show it’s more capable of having long term drives with that option, while West needs to show they are a team capable of truly contending, they have the most to prove as they gotta get out of the losing season streak that’s haunted them for 7 years. Elkin meanwhile is at 3 years.

I just think West’s line on both sides is way better, however it will be a tough 3 week ahead for them. They face Ashe next week who’s always well coached, and then have West Iredell who’s on the rise and has solid #’s. If West don’t show up they could easily be 1-3 or 0-4 after that.

Forbush at McMichael

Last week the Falcons were hunted down quite early by the Winston Vikings as Forbush absolutely struggled with NF’s speed and let the Vikes run it all over them. Forbush’s tackling was very suspect and they had a nightmare in open field. Their offense meanwhile struggled to find any consistency at all. Not the debut they were needing but a great one for North Forsyth. This week it doesn’t get any easier as they hit the road to Mayodan to play a very well coached and on the rise McMichael team, an old rival they used to play 20 years back. Last week they played Rockingham County quite well and made it a respectable outing. This is what they would consider a winnable game, so Forbush better come with their wheaties ate.

For the Bush to have a chance they gotta get over the slopinesss on defense and play some great team ball on both sides. Offense especially has to find some consistency in a hurry. I just don’t see it. The first half of the season is honestly a tough one for the Falcons, they have tough games every week ahead for a while.

North Iredell at Starmount

Last week the Rams showed up ready to play and had a 75% dominating effort vs Trinity. However they slacked up when they were ahead big and let the Bulldogs comeback to make it a way more respectable outing. However Starmount’s offense had it’s best outing in truly ages as Trinity was humiliated on defense so it evens out for both teams. This week the Rams host a old time foe in North Iredell as they have a big dedication night ahead of them. North Iredell’s a 3A squad that wishes they were a 2A, this is their best time to win ball games as they are in a super hard conference. They love to run the ball more than pass it. This will be a great test to Starmount’s run defense as NI will consistently test it.

However when push comes to shove I don’t see the Raiders stopping the Rams offense, it’s too wide open for them to handle.

Randleman at West Stokes

A rare matchup this week with 2 winners here! West had a triumphant return for UpChurch last week as they scored plenty in each quarter vs South Stokes, however they didn’t save the true fireworks until the end. West needs 2 solid halves this week to hang in the game with the Tigers. Randleman meanwhile came in and really outplayed a very good Thomasville team which surprised a lot of folks, Tville is expected to be a solid 1A west team this year. Randleman’s been due for a return to the top after a couple of down years and this is their time to do it, West meanwhile is out to prove theirselves legit. Both teams have a lot to play for here and can go either way.

North Stokes at Bishop McGuiness

Last week the Danbury Vikes had to fight to their near deaths to get the W to avoid the winless cellar in a 4 OT thriller vs Chatam Central. Offense proved to be not the way for either team, North Stokes ran three different offenses as a matter of fact during the game with not much success. They have got to find some consistency up fron the rest of the year if they want to do anything else. Bishop meanwhile is like a step in the dark for everyone, they didn’t play last week and this is Holcumb’s HC debut at BM. This one is actually one of the harder ones to pick as both are truly hard to figure. I just find Holcumb to be the better HC and sometimes that’s all you need.

But a win for N Stokes here would be truly helpful for them too.

Alexander Central at Wilkes Central

The Eagles last week had a truly bi-polar debut at home. They played awful in the first half as Ashe rolled to big lead quite early and they looked lost. Then against all odds they flipped the switch and dominated the 2nd half in typical wacky tradition of that rivalry. However they just ran out of time and Ashe stepped up on defense big for the first time in a while and held them off. However neither team in that game proved truly what they are.

Things won’t get any easier for the Eagles as they host longtime WNCHSAA foe Alexander Central for the first time in quite a while. This in the past used to be a solid rivalry but Al Central has won the last few games. WC was feeling bold and added them onboard to get more of a challenge and I dig that quite a bit. However I think they will be too much for the Eagles to handle tonight. However a solid performance from them will be a good omen of things to come, however a landslide is a bad omen. They got a lot to prove here regardless.

North Wilkes at Ashe

Last week the Huskies did just enough to pull that win out of the proverbial drunk magician's hat down in Moravian Falls as they let the Eagles comeback when they didn’t need to. Ashe has got to find that defensive consistency to contend later. However this week is truly a big game for them as they host North Wilkes on the mountain. NW meanwhile struggled badly on offense last week as their line had a hard time with Elkin and couldn’t consistently move the ball. I’m sure the Huskies have a lot of anger in their system as they motivated for this one after last year’s close loss where the Huskies lost more than they bargained for as NW escaped with the W late and Ashe’s QB was injured for the rest of the year. Ashe will be fired up on all levels tonight. If NW still can’t block a soul it will be another tough outing for the Vikes.

Grayson Co VA at Alleghany

The Trojans had in the style of the band Bill and Ted ran a truly triumphant debut last week as they ran the ball at will over SC and shut their pass game down for the most part minus big plays here and there. This week they host one of their longtime rivals Grayson County in what will be another close game between these two teams. They have been rivals for forever and play a close matchup more often than not. Last year it was 20-7 game and win for Grayson in a close than it looks matchup. Grayson went on to have one of the best seasons they’ve had in a good while as they finished 10-3 on the year and return a lot of those kids.

Alleghany starts a tough 4 game slate against 4 very good teams this week, they do have a lot to play for here. I expect a close on here, and whoever pulls it out here will have some serious momentum moving forward.

Salisbury at Walkertown

Lexington at Carver

A huge game for both of these squads here. Lexington let one slip vs a down Parkland team last week and Carver never came close to matching North Moore last week in a shutout, however 27-0 is way close than I figured. Both teams have a ton to play for here, both badly need a W and that momentum that comes from it. This is a direct 180 of when the last time they played back when Carver was competing for conference titles and Lexington was struggling to find wins. Carver’s offense is the true ? mark in this matchup.

I just see Lexington as a better team moving ahead and will take a huge step tonight. However if Carver wakes up and plays this close then they might not be as down as we think.

Atkins at Parkland
North Forsyth at Mount Tabor

Reactions: Sportsnut17
LMBO Ma BEEN WAITING FOR YEARS WRONG!!!!! Been waiting since last years sloppy 14-12 loss. Not like the Bears never beat Es they do hold over all record. Cards dodged the Bears in 2021 with Covid

Mt Airy will always have an excuse if they lose. Should win handily tonight but as rivalry games go it may be competitive for a while. If not for Cardinals being moved up because of Wells Fargo points could have very well have been Tarboro East Surry 4&5 the past 2 seasons
I believe in the fall of 2021 y'all would have came out of the west had y'all been in 1a. Last year would have been tough. Probably would have come down to y'all and MA in the western finals.

Reactions: sbbbfan
I believe in the fall of 2021 y'all would have came out of the west had y'all been in 1a. Last year would have been tough. Probably would have come down to y'all and MA in the western finals.
Hope we show up tonight. Very young but will continue to improve and have a good season. Our conference is as weak or weaker than Mt Airys is.

13-0 this week.. wow. Still waiting on the NF/Tabor score from somewhere different. Max Preps has it listed NF won but that can't be right can it? If so then that's one of the biggest upsets I've seen in a long time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT