ADVERTISEMENT

Trinity Football

Deranged1

Dec 9, 2013
I just got through reading the Salisbury Post article about the hiring of Trivett as offensive coordinator. I also found out who Trinity hired as interim PE teacher. It looks like to me that they would have looked for someone willing to coach football, but......wait for it........they hired another basketball coach!! All that does is confirm what myself and everyone else had already known. The administration, the teachers, the athletic department and most of the parents do not care about football at Trinity. I really think it is time that Trinity shuts the football program down and give the kids a chance to transfer to another school without penalty. What does everyone think about this? The players at Trinity do not deserve this.

Are things that bad at trinity when a head coach leaves and takes a step back as an OC at another school?

Well I think they have had 2 years where things were ok in the football progrm.To lose Coach Trivett is tough and I am sure it is a tough place to coach. We all know Trinity should probably be a 1A school. It is the only school I know that 1 middle school supply's 2 different high schools. We do not know what Salisbury offered Coach Trivett. I do not think it is fair to say to shut down the football program because there are other coaches there that want to be there. I know there are those there that love the school and love being a Bulldog. If anything people need to complain to the NCHSAA to get Trinity in a situation that they can compete. Look at Trinity athletics before ATMS had to split. They were one of the top dogs in Randolph County.

tough loss for Trinity football as I thought Trivette had Trinity in position to be as successful as they can be given the talent pool they pull from.

in saying that, the NCHSAA segments classification by student population at each school. Trinity and Wheatmore are both 2a numbers, same as any other 2a school. i don't think the unfounded argument that Trinity should be 1a carries any weight. I think the inability to get a coach to stay for more than a few years continues to hurt the Bulldogs in getting a solid foundation in place to build on. hopefully they'll make a good hire and give somebody the resources to want to stay.

Well Trinity ADM (694) and lets just say Randleman (858). I know that does not sound like a lot but it is. Out of those 150+ more students if Randleman can put 1 or 2 more athletes on the field then they will be more dominant. If Trinity had 38 less students then they would have been realigned has 1A. Some of the top 2A schools have 900+. So that is what I was talking about. A steady head coach would be great it is just hard to keep.

For those who know, how many faculty assistants did Clayton have last year? As opposed to volunteers.

How many students did Trinity have before Wheatmore opened? What was the football program like at that time?

A little knowledge to give out. in 2003-2004 Trinity ADM was 1291. Their football program was still mediocre at best but Alex Mebane coached for several years. I am hoping for Trinity sports sake in 2017 they will be aligned to 1A to be able to compete.

OC, he had one full time coach. The rest were volunteers. For some reason they would not hire coaches for football, but they will hire them for any other sport. This goes back to my original post, no one cares about football at Trinity.

Who did Trinity hire as an interim teacher? The position is still listed on Randolph County's website.

Hate to see Trivett go but it is true that football will always come second to basketball and he is going to a school where that is not the case. There is a lack of support but a lot of that responsibility falls on Randolph County's decision to build Wheatmore. Taking a middle school and sending the kids to two different high schools is absurd. It's especially tough when they compete against schools with a couple of hundred more enrollees, which equals the possibility of fielding a few more athletes.

Moving to 1A would help them to be more competitive but - ADM wise - they are where they are supposed to be.
This post was edited on 3/22 5:38 PM by Deuce_24

Is that the same Alex Mebane that got his coaching career started at Freedom High as an assistant
in the late eighties? Man, I haven't heard that name since my old high school days.

one thing that continues to fly under the radar here is that one issue Trinity has is they have a good amount of coaches that only coach 1 sport. at a lot of schools, a guy will coach multiple sports. you will see a lot of head baseball coaches that also coach football as a position coach, etc. at trinity, this doesn't seem to be the norm.

This presents Trinity with two issues. Trivette was head football and head wrestling coach. If they fill the PE job with a basketball or non coaching staff member then the likelihood of filling a combo football/wrestling will be hard with what few positions they have open. Wrestling program just won a state title in like 2012 and is traditionally strong. Admin could use that position to get a wrestling head and football assistant. I would think the wrestling job if posted will attract more attention than football. There are veteran quality assistants in Randolph/Davidson County that could fill the football job. Bad spot for Trinity right now.

Just to clear up a few things. Before they split Trinity they had very good football teams. The 2003 to 2004 teams were some of the best they ever had. These teams went to the third round of the playoffs and are still the only team in Trinity history that has won a playoff game. They had the players and the administration back then. Basketball was still king, but football had a good following. Earlier this year they had a chance to hire a teacher that had head coaching experience in wrestling and assistant in football. The powers to be at the school didn't want to hire a coach. Explain that one to me.

To your point about possibly hiring a coach that could take wrestling and assist football. Why wouldn't admin want to fill that need, especially if the the teacher is highly qualified as a teacher and coach? Crazy

Originally posted by patsfball:
Is that the same Alex Mebane that got his coaching career started at Freedom High as an assistant
in the late eighties? Man, I haven't heard that name since my old high school days.
Yep.

He went to Surry Central in the early to mid 90's and turned them aroud. He then went to RJ Reynolds and was the head guy for a few years before being fired with Adrian Snow in 01. Then he went to Ledford before coming to Trinity.

He had their last decent season before last season in 2009 going 6-6 before going 1-10 the next year and resining. He's at Walter Williams now.

Thanks Slasher,

I have thought of him from time to time but never took time to track him down.
Glad he is still going!

Trinity needs consistency/continuity in the staff first and foremost. It would make sense to me that they hire someone who has roots in the area, not someone from the outside who would use Trinity as a springboard.

I know there are a few former players that are coaching now.

Kevin Gillespie who was at Trinity for awhile may be in some hot water at Page. Rumor was he applied for the T'ville job last year.

Luke Barnes was at Wheatmore last year, I think he went to Northern Guilford.

Brett Andrews was or still is coaching over at THS

David Hayes is coaching somewhere close to Charlotte.

Andrews is still there. I believe he was the OC last year. I know he coaches the JV basketball and JV baseball. I think he is a no brainier for the job. He has put in work even when things were bad. He has the Bulldog roots and is young may bring a new life to the team. TRINITY give this man the job before you lose another great coach.

ALLREAL

David Hayes is coaching somewhere close to Charlotte.

If it is the same guy he is football OC and girls basketball coach at East Gaston.....seems to be a pretty good coach

5for3 what makes you think Kevin Gillespie is in hot water at page? That's a dumb thing to say about someone if you don't have facts. Talking about someONES job.

Eric Tippett was HC at East Gaston from 2007-2010. He won
only 1 game his first 2 years , but won 11 his last two. Hard working guy who
jumped into a difficult situation. The season before he arrived we won 12
games, but most of the players graduated and the HC and most of his staff left.
I think current East Gaston HC Sean Joyce also came to East Gaston from
Trinity.

Both Head Football and Head Wrestling are posted on the NCHSAA site now. They only have an EC spot and a PE spot open. Football is around the corner and now is the time for them to be lifting and conditioning. Hope the new administration is supportive of sports in general.

That's the problem at Trinity. They won't support football. They had an applicant several months ago for the EC job. He had a masters degree,had football experience and wrestling experience. They didn't even interview him. The new administration doesn't want coaches in non-PE positions. This is hurting the kids that are there, that want to play football. Nothing is being done for spring ball or summer workouts. Any coach they hire now won't start until the summer, too late to get a workout schedule together or to arrange any 7 on 7 games. I feel sorry for the kids.

I'm not really familiar with Trinity other than wrestling. I can remember before the high school split Trinity being one of the top wrestling program in the state. After that time it has not been even remotely the same program. Yes they have had a few top kids but not as a team. I believe all of what has been said in this thread pertaining to football and wrestling.

Change comes with unity from the parents who confront the administration. Otherwise be prepared to see much of the same.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT