ADVERTISEMENT

Thomasville Administration Please Read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tvillefan

Nov 12, 2013
This is for Thomasville
Administration
. We commend you for your efforts in trying to change the
culture. Thank you for hiring a man that had all the best intentions at heart. He
just wasn't the right man for this job. Everyone loves Allen Brown, and in most
people eyes he is looked at as (for lack of better words) a God. In that same
breath everyone was ready for a change. Not a change in the way we played but a
better connection between player/coach and more effort into getting kids in
school. Anyone that has been around the program the last 15 years understands
what I am saying. You cannot afford to bring another man in with a completely changed
vision and direction that he wants to take this historically great program. You
don't kill the program because you believe that is what we need, you REVITALIZE
it. With no jobs in Thomasville, football is one of the last things we hold on
to. If you run that in the ground then you take away everything, the history,
the present, and the future. You leave a town that's already dying in a worse
situation then it was before. If you want to return to the glory days then make
the right decision. Bring in a Thomasville guy that would never leave to go
home for any reason because Thomasville would be his home. I know for a fact
that the top three guys just last year inquired and some interviewed for this job and you
chose differently. MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION THIS TIME. Give us back our program.
(P.S. basketball is another program that you guys have ran to the ground but we
will attack that at another time)

Benjie Brown: Principal WMHS

Clayton Trivett - Trinity

Todd MCComb - Northwest Guilford

Nick Means- North Rowan

Perez Boulware - WSSU(not happening but at least call)

Kieth Gaither - Ball State(not happening but at least call)

I suspect that the procedure is to accept applications from qualified, interested applicants. To call anybody, especially those who are currently employed, would be inappropriate. I would hope that those parties who meet the criteria and are interested would apply.

"I suspect that the procedure is to accept applications from qualified, interested applicants."

Who is this directed at. All the parties on this list are more than capable of leading this program. And calling someone that already has a job and offer them another one is inappropriate? If they were interested before why not reach out to people you have already interviewed or have information on.

Not directed at anybody. I know there were about 50 applicants last time, but don't know whether any of them are on your list. If so, and they are still interested, I hope they apply. To assume that any of them is interested would be presumptious, but I have no idea.

I said a year ago that I believe the Thomasville job (and tradition) is one of the premier high school coaching positions in the state. I believe the successful candidate should have proven, successful head coaching experience. But that's my opinion and I don't get a vote.

As far as what's appropriate in the hiring process, let's put the shoe on the other foot. If you were an AD or principal and you found out one of your peers was recruiting your coach, how would you feel? It may be suitable in some industries, but that's not the way professionals do it in education. The first, and I repeat first order of business should be determining the candidate's qualifications as an educator. Regardless of trends in some places, coaches should be teachers first.

50 applicants mean nothing to Thomasville Tradition. To look through another 50 applicants and hire what they feel is best for the program will be another mistake. If we are changing the way we do things and hire Tom, Dick, or Harry every other year then we all need to move on and forget what got us here. But I am sure one if not all would have some interest and if not it is because of the way the last process was handled. This site is not a school official forum but yes approaching someone that has another job would be wrong to some degree. BUT IT HAPPENS. Thomasville is not the same program it use to be but it can turn around. And be honest with yourself we are not a premier program in the state as well. Wow, we upgraded a weight room that was last touched in the 90s, there are no boosters, and the city school pay sucks. The kids want to follow someone they believe in not someone you thought done good in a interview. These men meet any educational need you may have and bleed RED and BLACK

Richard(Kevin Gillespie) - PE / check Page High

Todd MCCOMB - Mathmatics / Check Northwest Guilford website

Clayton Trivett - PE / check Trinity Website

Benjie Brown - Speaks for itself / check NMHS

And calling someone that already has a job and offer them another one is inappropriate?

If they are under contract and you have not cleared it with their superiors, yes it is inappropriate.

Tvillefan, I agree with some of your comments. Teacher pay in general is ridiculously low throughout the state. Gotta blame that on the folks in Raleigh, and in our case, Davidson County since we rank dead last among 100 counties in per pupil expenditure. Thomasville's pay is worse than some, but actually better than some surrounding systems. Coaching supplements in some sports are indeed low, but I don't think football is one of them.

As far as the names on your list, there are some good ones there. I hope they apply. Expecting someone to take a huge cut in pay and step backwards in their career path is pretty unrealistic. The bottom line is that there is a process established for the hire. It's pretty much the same one that every system uses. As fans, we'll have to let it run its course and then support the new coach.

BlueVols I am not sure where you are from. But unless there is some type of state program or heavily involved booster that pays your salary then then there is no contracts in Thomasville. Your there until someone says your not or you leave. And I agree it i wrong to reach out as a employee of the school but these men have connections with Thomasville and I am more than positive the word has now reached them.

OCdavis I respect everything you always have to say. I was busting your bubble about this premier program stuff. You guys are looking for someone that is not coming. If you find a guy with the proven record you are looking for then he would be taking a step back or else why would he be in Thomasville. (Allen Brown was 0-11 at Central Davidson before coming home). Only other reason would be to use Thomasville as a stepping stone whether you want to believe it or not. If there is not a Thomasville man hired for this next hire then your looking at a toooonnnn of negative feedback from the community and its players.

Actually, some folks in Thomasville do have contracts.

I appreciate your comment. Just a couple of other thoughts. Allen came back to Thomasville from Central, but had groomed as an assistant under Cushwa. Many people thought that was the end of Thomasville football. Cushwa was at least as well respected at the time as Allen is now, because he built the program from nothing at a time when the competition was much tougher than it is now.

I think Thomasville is still a desirable job. Coach Mattera built the numbers, but it needs to continue to grow. There have been some real attitude problems and it needs to be addressed. That will be a challenge, regardless of who it is. It was there last year, and it was there for the last two or three years under Allen. If our community wants to help the program we can insist that conduct on and off the field, and academic effort is the minimum acceptable expectation for the privilege of playing sports. In my mind, that is far more important than where the next coach played high school ball.

If some of the folks you mentioned are interested in the job, I hope they'll apply. At least three of your list would have to take a considerable pay cut. Coach Gillespie has Thomasville ties, but I doubt that many people in our community even know that. He also has a pretty respectable job where he is.

All of this makes for interesting conversation, but I trust Coach Bare to make the right choice and I'll support that choice.

We know the Cushwa/Allen Brown story. Nick Swietzer has been around since 2004 so why was he not groomed if you guys knew you were running Allen Brown away(and yes this is what happen). Coach Brown lost connection with the players well before his retirement and we know this. This is the driving force behind finding someone that is a teacher in the classroom. Mattera was a good man with the best intentions but it would have been a long time before he recovered from the way this season went. Your second paragraph tells the story. Attitudes and Academics are the concerns, so why higher a man that the kids have no idea of who he is with a record that no one knows about and expect success. That was not smart. You hire a man the players have no choice but to respect, a man that is from the same streets they are from, a person that knows what kids go through to live in a dying city where parents do the best they can but sometimes its not enough. That does matter where they played high school at!!!!!!!Coach Bare needs to focus on selling this community and players with a dream and known direction to where we are headed. The kids need someone to BELIEVE in and thats what will change this mess that has been going on for years now. You don't change the culture, you rebuild it!!!

But I will leave it here. I just hope the right thing happens this time around.

I think Nick is a great guy and could be an excellent head coach. But I do want to take strong exception to one thing. I have zero ability to impact his development as a coach. And Allen Brown is a good friend of mine. I believe he'd be the first to laugh at your including me as one of the "you guys" who ran him off. He could have been coach for life if it were up to me. He earned that. I did however, find it unfortunate that he couldn't be at the school during the day so that the kids could benefit from his example. As I did when I played for him and for Cushwa. But he earned the right to make that decision too. As much as a good coach can have a very positive effect on a kid, it begins at home. I would never fault any parent who is trying the best way they can. But it's not about money. It's about respect....for oneself and for others. That's what our community needs to support...a good coach who works hard to build young men. The wins will follow.

First of all I agree with tville fan for the most part, and if that is what you want then you need to have a hometown administrator who also bleeds black and red do the hiring. And that is hard to do now because all the good ones either left or were run off (Keith Tobin, Woody Huneycutt to name a couple). So the new AD or new Superintendent ain't the ones to keep it bleeding black and red.

Second, Whether Allen really lost a connection with the players or not s still a matter of opinion. I know this, no way he would have allowed some of the players to talk to him the way the new coach did. I'll just leave that as that.

Some rumors are going around that the new coach was much better than Brown at helping the kids get to college. Not true at all. Those folks need to go look at the wall in the gym. It's not his fault what happned to so many of them after they got to college. They ruined it for themselves.

Call Benjie and let Allen come back as defensive coord. Then you will win more championships. Allen still has several more years in him. He would come back and work for his son again

Does anyone think Benjie is interested in coming back to Thomasville?

It is my understanding that the new administration as well as the new AD do not want any Brown influence in the athletic department.

All of the speculation in the world is moot. As a principal, Benjie undoubtedly makes significantly more than he could as a teacher and head football coach. More importantly, he is a family man and loves his daughters dearly. The time he now has to spend with them would likely trump any itch to return to football.

I wished for years for Dean Smith to come out of retirement. That didn't happen either.

Well, you can mark Trivett off your list. My sources tell me that he has accepted a position at Salisbury High School as offensive coordinator. With the athletes that Salisbury has and the wide open offense Trivett likes to run, Salisbury will be tough next year. Once again Trinity High School has let another good coach get away. I wish the new man all the success in the world, but as long as basketball is king there, football will always get the shaft. Trinity has some very good players, but no backing. I wish Trivet good luck and the new man at Trinity good luck.

With all due respect, what got you here are athletes. Thomasville has had a dip in those recently. Tacos anyone?

Originally posted by THSDOGclass01:
It is my understanding that the new administration as well as the new AD do not want any Brown influence in the athletic department.
So there you have it. Then we got what we deserved with only 2 wins last season and look for more like it.

I am not sure why people are begging for this person or that person, or asking for a long time Thomasville person. The best coach could be anyone. Each team will be victorious with the right person at the helm and gaining the attention of the players. Just trust in the Thomasville Search Committee and let them do their job. Whoever they choose will be their guy. Let them do their job, let the coaches do their job, and you do your job. I am not sure how many people come to different businesses as an outsider and tell you how to do your job. These Administrators know what they are doing. Coach Mattera is a good coach and will be successful. Good luck to him in his future.

Well said, CoachFox5. We've come to expect a certain type of coach and program because we spent fifty years with three people from the same mold. Extremely good ones, mind you. Good coaches, good people and good mentors. But time moves on and things change. I played or watched through all three men, and it's easy to long for that past success.

When Coach Brown left, there was an applicant I pulled for too. He wasn't from Thomasville, though he had ties to the community. There are a couple of people on the various lists mentioned then and now that I would have welcomed. But I acknowlege that they probably weren't ready to be the successor to the Legends. I predicted when I found out that Allen was leaving that the person who replaced him wouldn't be around long. There are too many people in our community who would be against him just because he wasn't Allen. And that the schedule would make it even more difficult to succeed.

I have faith that the folks doing the hiring will make a good choice. And to include Coach Bare in that perceived cabal of folks who are running good people off is not only unfair, but inaccurate. He's a good guy and a professional. He wants what's best for our kids too. Regardless, I will do my best to support the next coach and give him a fair chance. I'll show up and cheer, offer what little help I can give and then stay out of his way. I don't care where he's from, what color his skin or what kind of schemes he runs. He deserves a chance and my job as a fan is to give it to him. Anything less, and I'd be part of the problem, not the solution.

I have replied a number of times on the schedule Thomasville had for non conference games. I felt it was not in line with building success. Playing schools with 1000 more students in my opinion was not conducive to building confidence within the program. Yes, Thomasville could once overcome a classification deficit but those days have vanished. Coach Mattera has changed that schedule to my understanding. You can't expect year after year for kids to get up for games after taking four straight losses to larger schools.

Mattera was as good a selection as possible for Thomasville. When an opportunity is available to increase your income and the potential to be close to your family it is a justified move. Contracts for employment are one year.

Thomasville's problems are not necessarily coach related. The lack of recent success goes far beyond just football. Look at the other sports and I think you will see a trend.

We can play the blame it on the kid all we want. We know we have a attitude problem but you mean to tell me that, that problem alone is holding our programs back? People may know this program but do you know these kids. Have you sat and talked with them, been to there home, spoken to there parents, asked them how they were doing? I am guessing NO. Because if you have you would understand what person needs to lead a different brand of kids. Yes times have changed and finding the best person that can connect with these kids and the kids respect is the most important thing. If you sit and talk to guys like coach Herman(Wrestling coach) or Brandon Staton(girls basketball / former player), you would know that that was the right hire for those jobs. They deal with problems but they don't go through HELL to lead there players. And these same boys that have the biggest problems are able to experience success in AAU basketball under Coach Trey Ray(former player). If you get a chance go watch them over the summer with there conduct and style of play. The difference in attitude will shock you.

tvillefan, you named three impressive coaches, and better yet, three impressive men. Can't speak for Trey's role, since that isn't a school system hire. But the other two are certainly the right men for their jobs. So let's examine how they are different from each other, and what they have in common.

Former Thomasville players, bleeding red and black? No. Coach Herman is a former Andrews guy.
Skin color? No. Coach Herman is white. Coach Staton and Coach Ray are black.
From "these streets"? Not exactly.

So what traits do they share? All come from backgrounds with strong parental support....on and off the field and court. All show their players that they are part of a family. Like any family, they are loved and cared for, but like strong families, there is an expectation that family members will do the right thing....and tangible consequences when they don't.

I certainly am not saying that attitude is the only issue. Low turnout for sports, demographics, the dwindling of the "cool factor" that exists when a team consistently wins, scheduling. In some sports, it's lack of family support. Go to any sporting event other than football and the occasional "big" basketball game. See how many family members are in the stands. Not community members....family members. Soccer? Baseball? Softball? Even wrestling? Sometimes, just showing up is half the battle.

Let's hope that the search committee hits a home run and finds a Coach Herman or Coach Staton for football. But that's only the beginning. Coach Mattera did go into players' homes. He did beat the halls looking for more players. He did provide better weight lifting facilities and more structure. He did try to ensure that they went to class. The next coach will need to expand those things. But we also need to support him if he feels the need to refuse to accept repeated personal foul and unsportsmalike conduct penalties, suspensions, and disrespect to coaches and teammates. Some people say that we can't win without certain players. I say that we would have won two or three more games per year for the past three years if some of those same kids would have simply kept their composure on the field.

I fully understand that there are kids who literally have no family support. Many of them have spent time in my home. One lived with us for several months. But we need, as a community, to use that as a challenge, not an excuse. Great coaches such as Herman and Staton do just that. Hopefully, our next head football coach will too.

The discipline it takes to play AAU basketball and HS football are worlds apart. Be honest with yourself. AAU BB is all about showcasing yourself. There is not a lot of "Team" identity. Everyone is going out to get that scholarship every weekend...or so they think. It is a lot easier to play a sport where you play games more than you practice and on top of that they are playing in air conditioned gyms not in the summer heat of July, August and September.

Go ahead and sign Trey Ray (nothing against him by the way) up to coach Varsity football and let's see how that goes!!!!

Comparing AAU basketball with HS football from a standpoint of work ethic, discipline and commitment is certainly not comparing apples to apples.

OC my point of bringing up coaching hires was def not to point out race. I'm sure that was not you objective as well so I will leave it there. I know where Herman is from so I knew not to point that out. His name being mentioned was his relationship with his players are undeniable. He came from a place that makes Thomasville look like a walk in the park. Why wouldn't he be successful. Every man i have mentioned I actually know them personally so giving your history lessons are kind of premature. Brandon Staton was raised on Highland Avenue and whats even worse Benjie Brown lives off of Culbreth Ave. Clearly you have no idea about "these streets" but again that is not my point.

warbonnet you have to actually know what you are talking about before commenting. Hire trey as the football coach wasn't anywhere close to the point that I was making. And thinking that we have athletes good enough to showcase individual talent is completely wrong as well. I'm not comparing AAU basketball to football I'm comparing the structure, discipline, a connection with the same kids that raise hell for previous football coach.

This post was edited on 3/9 9:48 AM by tvillefan

This post was edited on 3/9 10:10 AM by tvillefan

OK, I get that. My point is that it is a lot easier for the kids to be structured and disciplined when the work load is not as great as it is in football. Just my opinion based on fact, and yes I know all the jokes about opinions.

Allen Brown and Wes Mattera both grew up in tough economic circumstances. I'd hardly say the same for Benjie.

One statement may sum it up. It's the one about no jobs in a dying town and football being all that can bring some kids hope. We need to change that paradigm. What can give them hope is education and character. Football is a small part of that. Our town is not dying, but it's certainly changing. There has been more job creation here in the last three years than at any time in recent memory. But the skills required to compete for those jobs is very different. Our whole nation is changing to a service economy and has been for fifteen years. The days of being able to go to work in a furniture plant straight out of school are gone. And no, it doesn't mean a kid has to go to a four-year school. Medical and biotechnology, aviation and advanced manufacturing offer many local jobs that are going unfilled. I can think of 150 jobs opened up in the past month alone with four new and existing companies in Thomasville. Yes, some are retail. But there have been 67 jobs in manufacturing that require some post high school training. CV. Products and others practically beg for CNC technicians, as does Unilin.

This isn't about me, but I spent a significant number of years on Cox Avenue and worked in the TFI plants with some of these kids' parents and grandparents. What I want is what we all want....to see them have opportunity that gets them off of the street. I'll support any teacher or coach who can further that aim.

For what it's worth, I only brought up geography and race because some posters previously have implied that those should be prerequisites. That the only way a coach can relate to today's players is to have been just like them. Some of the coaches everyone acknowledges have been among our best disputes that. It may very well be someone from the various lists mentioned recently and last year. Or it may not. Frankly, I don't think any of us will have any appreciable impact on the decision. But I understand it makes for good discussion.

OC I agree with you about only education and character can give them hope. Football is not the save-all. That being said, people need to stop putting these coaches on pedestals! 90% of the football and wrestling team smokes marijuana. You think Materra and Herman don't know that? Then if they are really as concerned about the kids success and not just winning like you say then why are they not with the administration tackling this problem? Bring drug dogs in UNANNOUNCED and do drug testing UNANNOUNCED. Oh, that might affect their numbers huh?

And do you know how many players were in trouble this year? But they still played??

Call it like it is.

An for those who are so defensive with "I sure wasn't one of the ones who ran coach brown off. I loved him" Just remember often times the smeller is the feller!

Let's just be frank here once and for all.

When kids parents have no intentions of raising their kids and hand them over to uncle, aunts and grandparents the commitment gene is passed down. That trait permeates into the playing field.

Originally posted by OldDawgFan:

OC I agree with you about only education and character can give them hope. Football is not the save-all. That being said, people need to stop putting these coaches on pedestals! 90% of the football and wrestling team smokes marijuana. You think Materra and Herman don't know that? Then if they are really as concerned about the kids success and not just winning like you say then why are they not with the administration tackling this problem? Bring drug dogs in UNANNOUNCED and do drug testing UNANNOUNCED. Oh, that might affect their numbers huh?

And do you know how many players were in trouble this year? But they still played??

Call it like it is.

An for those who are so defensive with "I sure wasn't one of the ones who ran coach brown off. I loved him" Just remember often times the smeller is the feller!
My understanding is that money is tight in Thomasville Schools? If so, who is paying to piss test the players? Also, I would think the system admin would need to pass some type of protocol to carry this out. Honestly, smoking pot is almost epidemic among high school males.

While I believe the estimate quoted of wrestlers and football players smoking pot is overstated, I agree that it is an issue. There was some discussion several years ago (this is not a new concern) about drug testing athletes. The three issues were:
If any sport is tested, shouldn't they all be tested?
If sports, what about other extracurricular activities? Band? Debate team? Student council?
Do you test all athletes, or is it random testing?

I don't believe any sport should be singled out. Many of the football players, for instance, also play basketball, baseball or run track. Some wrestle. A drug test is a snapshot in time, especially with certain drugs. If any individual is tested, it only determines whether that person used certain drugs recently, sometimes in the last twenty-four hours. Depends on the drug. Random testing is just that....random, chosen by a computer program that removes subjectivity. Mass testing might catch some folks, but probably only those who smoke regularly....or yesterday. Reasonable cause testing, as opposed to random, is a different issue altogether.

The biggest issue is cost. One local school program advocated drug testing all athletes, but only if their booster group would pay for it. They had the means. Thomasville doesn't even have a very active booster group, much less the money.

None of my remarks are meant to deny there is a problem. I believe there is a problem among high school kids in general with this issue, at all schools. Some more than others, obviously. But all you have to do is look at the police reports in the paper to realize no area school is exempt. But to imply that it started this year, or with any individual coach is naive. My son graduated two years ago and it existed before that. This is not a coach problem. It's a societal problem and a school system problem. As such, the school board would need to address it, not any principal, athletic director or coach.

If I am not mistaken Randolph County drug test their athletes. I could be wrong but I think they do. Wouldn't be a bad idea across the board.

Now you are contradicting yourself. Earlier you said we need a coach who cares about the players and that conduct on and off the field is most important. But here you say that drug testing is not a coach problem nor his job.

Which is it??????

You want a coach that builds men and helps them with their future, which means holding the accountable for conduct on and off the field -- which I believe drugs would fall under a conduct off the field problem? Then get a coach that is not afraid to push that to the school board, superintendent and principal. You think they would turn him down if he says he thinks this is a problem and we could help these young people greatly by addressing it?

Or do you want a coach like we just had that talks a good talk and everybody sings his praises but he allows the players to cuss him, quit with attitude problems, and even commit armed robbery, but are still allowed to play?

Just be consistent that's all. Brown was not perfect but he did not put up with much. He sent 2 starters home from North Rowan before the game started for fighting with each other. And this was a playoff game.

OldDawgFan, I don't disagree with what you are saying, but you're twisting my words. If the new coach feels drug use is a problem, he should press the school board to address it. Same with a principal or athletic director. I'm simply saying that those folks don't make the final decision, nor are they responsible for paying for it. When the state won't give the system any money for textbooks, drug testing is a financial issue as well as a character and behavior issue. Not saying it shouldn't be done, but it's not as simple as showing up with specimen bottles or drug dogs.

By the way, the criminal activity you mention took place after football season. The football coach had no decisions to make and any decisions made were collective ones by the school and administration.

Folks on here seem to want to divide into two camps. I supported Allen as coach. I supported Wes as coach. Doesn't mean I think either was perfect. Last time I checked, neither is that guy in the mirror.. I'll support the next coach too.

OC is correct. Coaches don't make policy nor enforce policy. Drug testing will be a directive from a school board.

Whether a kid is allowed to continue on a team after criminal charges is a school board and administration decision. Beboy Beamon will be who makes these decisions. If someone wishes to institute change for the sports programs then those suggestions will need to be addressed to Principal Beamon.

It's never been the duty of a coach to repair social issues. Three hours a day will not change what goes on in the home and street. Coaches work with what they have. Coaches provide the message but parents have the duty to enforce behavior and values. How can a coach teach classes all day, coach practice, study film, and be accountable for 75 kids extracurricular behavior? It can't be done. If kids are cussing the coach then that is a serious problem that definitely needs attention, but again if the AD and principal doesn't support removal from teams then the other kids will join in the disrespect. No way would I allow any player to disrespect me as a coach. Not even the next level star gets that authority.

I know here we have a random drug testing policy for athletes. Believe me it has not been random nor are they looking to catch those who are suspect. Matter of fact in my opinion the coaches send whomever they wish, sometimes the same kid every year knowing nothing will pop up. Nobody is invested in a high school player like professional and university team programs. When revenue and paying out $200,000 in scholarships are on the table then it becomes justified. Actually if a district had a testing policy it should be funded by the parents and done randomly by drawing. It should also apply to the chess team, BETA, National Honor Society, and any other activity supported on school grounds. Football players are not the only kids smoking pot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT