ADVERTISEMENT

Tackle Football in the Virgin Islands

daddytis

Jan 27, 2013
Charlotte Amalie High School (Virgin Islands) is looking for a high school team that would be interested in traveling to the Virgin Islands and play in tackle football game on Friday November 20th, 2015. We cordially invite a team that would be interested in taking part in the inaugural Arthur Jamison Turkey Bowl event. Send an email to Mr. Corbett at myroncorbett_12@outlook.com for further information. PASSPORT IS NOT NECESSARY TO TRAVEL TO THE US VIRGIN ISLANDS.

I don't think the NCHSSA would allow a school from North Carolina to participate in this due to it being after the season. NCHSSA rules prevents teams from continuing to play after their sports season ends ... This came up with the Myers Park girls basketball team this past spring wanting to play in the DICK’S Sporting Goods national championship in New York City after they won the state championship.

Maybe the rules changed when the NCHSSA met in May.

I may be wrong but the actual football season is still ongoing at that point. In the case of the aforementioned girls' team, the season IS over after the state championship game. Logistically, it would be nigh impossible to pull off even if it is legal. A team would have to know it wasn't in the playoffs or eliminated and plan travel accordingly. Then you would have to ask some of your athletes to hold off moving over to wrestling or basketball.

There are some states up north that are in their playoff schedule, yet schools still play a traditional Thanksgiving Day game. Mass and NJ come to mind.

A US military base high school team might be the best bet. Their seasons aren't very long and they are used to traveling.

I have learned something today. I had no clue football was played there. This would be an incredible trip for any NC team but I cant even begin to imagine the cost involved. With NCHS budgets already strapped unless a rich booster footed the bill I don't see it.

If the school in the Virgin Islands puts them up and feeds them, group airfare is a lot cheaper than most know if you pay up front. I'll bet it can be done for around $200 per player. I took a group of 80 to California one year for under $900 per player which included airfare, ground transportation, meals, 4 nights at a 4 star hotel in Anaheim, 2 day tickets for disney, a LA tour and a beach trip to Huntington Beach. And a varsity and jv game in apple valley. It takes work to get a good deal, but it can be done.

Reactions: Lawn12Dog
I can see a private school having better opportunity to play in Virgin Islands than a public school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT